Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
March 23 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. World Meteorological Day is observed on which date?
A) March 21
B) March 23
C) March 24
D) March 25
Answer: B) March 23
World Meteorological Day:
- Every year, World Meteorological Day is celebrated to commemorate the establishment of the World Meteorological Organization (WMO).
- It will be globally marked on March 23, 2021.
- The day highlights the importance of the behaviour of Earth’s atmosphere.
World Meteorological Day 2021 theme:
- The theme this year is devoted to “The ocean, our climate, and weather”.
World Meteorological Day history:
- The World Meteorological Organisation, WMO was established in 1950 on March 23.
- Since its inception, the day has been observed as World Meteorological Day.
- WMO, an intergovernmental organization has a membership of 193 Member States and Territories.
- The origins of the setup emerged from the International Meteorological Organization (IMO), the roots of which were planted at the 1873 Vienna International Meteorological Congress.
- The WMO was set up by the sanction of the WMO convention in 1950. WMO, the following year, became the specialised agency of the United Nations (UN) for meteorology (weather and climate), operational hydrology, and related geophysical sciences.
- The World Meteorological Organisation headquarters are located in Geneva.
- Shaheed Diwas or Martyrs’ day is observed on many days in India, especially on January 30 and March 23, to pay homage to the freedom fighters of our country.
- On this day, Indians pay tributes to the people who laid down their lives in the struggle for the country’s independence from British rule
History and significance:
- It is important to know that Shaheed diwas is observed on many days in India.
- January 30 is observed as the Martyrs’ Day every year across the country to mark the death anniversary of Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, popularly known as Mahatma Gandhi or Bapu.
- Earlier this year, the Central government directed all state governments and union ministries to observe two minutes of silence on January 30 in the memory of martyred freedom fighters.
- The sacrifice by the trio of heroes became a source of inspiration for millions of Indians.
- It is for this reason March 23 was commemorated as Shaheed Diwas.
- On January 30, the day is observed with the President, Vice President, Prime Minister, and Defence Minister gathering at Rajghat in New Delhi to pay tribute to Mahatma Gandhi.
- The top-most leaders of the country lay wreaths in remembrance of the Mahatma.
- They are joined by three service chiefs as well.
2. Ganemat Sekhon is related to which sports?
Answer: E) Shooter
- Indian shooters Ganemat Sekhon and Angad Vir Singh Bajwa bagged the skeet mixed team gold medal, extending the home contingent’s dominance at the ISSF World Cup
Ganemat and Angad, who had topped the qualification with a score of 141, produced another good show beating the Kazakh pair of Olga Panarina and Alexandr Yechshenko 33-29 in the gold medal showdown.
- With this, table-topper India’s gold medal haul at the ongoing event went up to seven
Another Indian pair of Parinaaz Dhaliwal and Mairaj Ahmad Khan, however, missed the bronze medal by a whisker at the Dr Karni Singh Shooting Range.
Ganemat, Angad – win mixed skeet gold at Shooting World Cup.
3. Gurnam Singh Abulkhurana passed away. He was related to which party?
Answer: A) Congress
- Veteran Congress leader and former minister Gurnam Singh Abulkhurana, 90, passed away in Chandigarh.
- Abulkhurana was elected from the Lambi assembly segment of Muktsar district in 1992.
- He had contested the elections when militancy was at its peak in Punjab.
- He served as the revenue and irrigation minister in the Beant Singh government
AIADMK MP Mohammedjan dies.
- AIADMK Rajya Sabha member and former Minister A. Mohammedjan died of heart attack at his residence in Ranipet.
- He was elected chairman of Ranipet Municipality in 1996 and 2001.
- In 2011, he was elected as an MLA from the Ranipet constituency in then Vellore district and was given the portfolio of Backward Classes, Most Backward Classes, Denotified Communities, Overseas Indians, Refugees and Evacuees and Minorities, including Wakf.
- He held the post till June 2013.
- He was elected as Rajya Sabha member in July 2019 and was also chairman of Tamil Nadu Wakf Board.
Gurnam Singh Abulkhurana – Congress leader.
4. Who has been named the India’s richest property developer according to the fourth edition of GROHE Hurun India Real Estate Rich List 2020?
A) Rajiv Singh
B) Chandru Raheja
C) Mangal Prabhat Lodha
D) Prithvi Raj Singh Oberoi
E) Anas Rahman Junaid
Answer: C) Mangal Prabhat Lodha
|1st||Mangal Prabhat Lodha of Macrotech Developers|
|2nd||Rajiv Singh of DLF Ltd|
|3rd||Chandru Raheja of K Raheja|
- Aged 91, Prithvi Raj Singh Oberoi of East India Hotels, is the oldest in the list with a net worth of Rs2,170 crore.
BANKING AND FINANCE
5. Which organization appoints forensic auditor to vet financial statements of Suzlon Energy?
- Market regulator SEBI has appointed a forensic auditor to audit the financial statements of Suzlon Energy.
- The audit will find out whether the company had complied with the SEBI norms on the disclosures of financial information and business transactions.
Headquarters : Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chairman : Ajay Tyagi
SEBI – Appoint forensic auditor to vet financial statements of Suzlon Energy.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
6. Which company is the first group company to hit Rs 2-trillion market-cap?
B) Cipla Limited
C) Adani Green Energy
D) Bajaj Finance
E) Mahindra Finance
Answer: C) Adani Green Energy
- Shares of Adani Group companies were on roll with Adani Green Energy crossing Rs 2-trillion market capitalisation (market-cap) on the BSE, while Adani Total Gas touched Rs 1-trillion m-cap in the intra-day deals after a strong rally in these stocks.
- Adani Green Energy (AGEL) is the first group company to hit Rs 2-trillion market-cap. At 09:29 am, the company had an m-cap of Rs 2.05 trillion.
- Adani Total Gas became the fourth group company to join the Rs 1-trillion m-cap club.
- The company’s market-cap touched Rs 1.06 trillion mark after the stock of the integrated oil & gas company hit a new high of Rs 915 in the intra-day trade.
- Meanwhile, including Adani Transmission (Rs 90,624 crore) market-cap, six out of the seven listed Adani group companies, now feature in the top 50 most valued companies in terms of market-cap. Adani Power has an market-cap of Rs 39,206 crore.
- In the past one year, Adani Total Gas has seen its market value appreciate by 908 per cent, while that of AGEL has soared by 873 per cent, followed by Adani Enterprises (737 per cent), Adani Transmission (339 per cent), Adani Power (296 per cent) and Adani Ports (256 per cent).
- In comparison, the S&P BSE Sensex has rallied 93 per cent during the period.
Adani Green Energy – First Group co to join Rs 2-trillion m-cap club.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
7. Ultra High Field Magnetic Resonance Imaging: MRI Instrumentation and Clinical Implementation is authored by whom?
A) Dr Sekar Kumar B Raval
B) Dr Siva Kumar B Raval
C) Dr Sathish Kumar B Raval
D) Dr Shailesh Kumar B Raval
E) Dr Sandhosh Kumar B Raval
Answer: D) Dr Shailesh Kumar B Raval
- Children’s book on Dr Anthony Fauci to be published in June.
- Dr Anthony Fauci, the infectious disease expert and chief medical advisor to the president for information and counsel about Covid-19, will soon feature in a children’s book.
- According to a report in CNN Business, publishing house Simon & Schuster is backing Dr. Fauci: How a Boy from Brooklyn Became America’s Doctor.
- It has been written by Kate Messner and illustrated by Alexandra Bye.
- The book will be out on June 29.
- Ultra High Field Magnetic Resonance Imaging: MRI Instrumentation and Clinical Implementation – authored by Dr Shailesh Kumar B Raval
8. Umang Vohra is appointed as the Managing Director and Global CEO of which company?
Answer: A) Cipla
- Pharma major Cipla said its board hasapproved the re-appointment of Umang Vohra as the Managing Director and Global CEO of the company for a further period of five years
Vohra had joined Cipla in 2015 and has been the MD & Global CEO of the company since September 1, 2016.
Founder: Khwaja Abdul Hamied
CEO: Umang Vohra
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Cipla board – approve reappointment of Umang Vohra as MD & Global CEO.
9. Which Small Finance Bank has been awarded ‘Great Place to Work’ certification by the Great Place to Work Institute?
A) Ujjivan Small Finance Bank.
B) Janalakshmi Small Finance Bank.
C) Equitas Small Finance Bank.
D) A U Small Finance Bank.
E) Capital Small Finance Bank.
Answer: C) Equitas Small Finance Bank.
- Esaf Small Finance Bank has been awarded ‘Great Place to Work’ certification by the Great Place to Work Institute.
- The certification is the result of an employee survey conducted by the third-party global authority on recognising high-trust and performance culture at workplaces.
- This recognition acknowledges the bank’s commitment and credibility amongst its employees.
Esaf Small Finance Bank:
Headquarters: Thrissur, Kerala
MD and CEO : K Paul Thomas
Esaf Small Finance Bank – ‘Great Place to Work’ certification by the Great Place to Work Institute.
10. Baba Kalyani has been chosen for this year’s (2021) Punya Bhushan award. This award is instituted in which year?
Answer: A) 1989
- PUNE Prominent industrialist from Pune, Baba Kalyani, has been chosen for this year’s (2021) Punya Bhushan award.
- Kalyani will be conferred the award by scientist Raghunath Mashelkar after the Covid situation in the city subsides, said office bearers of Tridal, the organisation that has instituted the award.
- Kalyani served as the chairman and managing director of Bharat Forge, the flagship company of the Kalyani group and the world’s second largest forging manufacturer.
- This is the 32nd year of the Punyabhushan award, which comprises ₹10,00,00 in cash
Baba Kalyani – this year’s Punya Bhushan award.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
11. The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) recently demonstrated free-space quantum communication over a distance of _____ for the first time?
A) 200 m
B) 100 m
C) 300 m
D) 400 m
E) 500 m
Answer: C) 300 m
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) recently demonstrated free-space quantum communication over a distance of 300 m for the first time.
- The demonstration included live videoconferencing using quantum-key-encrypted signals.
- This is a major achievement for unconditionally secured satellite data communication using quantum technologies.
- The Quantum Key Distribution (QKD) technology underpins quantum communication technology that ensures unconditional data security by virtue of the principles of quantum mechanics, which is not possible with the conventional encryption systems.
- The conventional cryptosystems used for data-encryption rely on the complexity of mathematical algorithms, whereas the security offered by quantum communication is based on the laws of Physics.
- Therefore, quantum cryptography is considered as ‘future-proof’, since no future advancements in computational power can break quantum-cryptosystem.
- The free-space QKD was demonstrated at Space Applications Centre (SAC), Ahmedabad, between two line-of-sight buildings within the campus.
- The experiment was performed at night, in order to ensure that there is no interference of the direct sunlight.
- The experiment is a major breakthrough towards ISRO’s goal of demonstrating Satellite Based Quantum Communication, where ISRO is gearing up to demonstrate the technology between two Indian ground stations.
Abbreviation: Indian Space Research Organisation
Headquarters : Bengaluru, Karnataka
Chairman : Kailasavadivoo Sivan
ISRO – demonstrate free space quantum communication for the first time.
12. Which IIT develops technology to serve arsenic and fluoride-free drinking water in rural areas of Assam?
A) IIT Bombay
B) IIT Mandi
C) IIT Madras
D) IIT Kanpur
E) IIT Guwahati
Answer: E) IIT Guwahati
- Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology Guwahati have developed a technology to provide iron, arsenic, fluoride, and other contaminants-free drinking water to the rural people of Assam with the help of their various prototype units and innovative technology.
IIT Guwahati – technology to serve arsenic and fluoride-free drinking water in rural areas of Assam.
13. Which country put 38 foreign satellites into orbit after a succesful launch from the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan?
D) New Zealand
Answer: B) Russia
- Russia put 38 foreign satellites into orbit after a succesful launch from the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan.
- The Soyuz-2.1a carrier rocket with the Fregat upper stage and 38 spacecraft from 18 countries took off from the Baikonur cosmodrome.
- Among them was the Challenge-1, the first satellite made completely in Tunisia, which was created by the Telnet telecommunications group.
Currency : Russian Ruble
Russia – 38 satellites for 18 countries.
14. Cabinet approves Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) signed between India and which country in the field of Water Resources?
D) New Zealand
Answer: E) Japan
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi was apprised of the Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) signed between Department of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Ministry of Jal Shakti, Government of India and Water and Disaster Management Bureau, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism of Japan in the field of Water Resources.
- This MoC was signed for development of a long-term cooperation in the field of Water and Delta management, and Water technology in order to increase the exchange of information, knowledge, technology and scientific allied experience, as well as implementation of joint projects between the two countries.
- This MoC will help in achieving water security, improved irrigation facility and sustainability in water resources development.
Capital : Tokyo
Currency : Japanese Yen
Prime Minister: Yoshihide Suga
Cabinet – Approve Memorandum of Cooperation (MoC) signed between India and Japan in the field of Water Resources.
15. Which state has launched ‘Dekho Apna Pradesh’?
B) Uttar Pradesh
C) Madhya Pradesh
D) Andhra Pradesh
E) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: E) Arunachal Pradesh
- Chief Minister Pema Khandu launched ‘Dekho Apna Pradesh’ – an initiative of the chief minister himself, conceptualized on the lines of the union tourism ministry’s ‘Dekho Apna Desh’ initiative, to restart tourism activities and encourage citizens to take a pledge to visit at least 10 places in Arunachal by 2022.
- Homestay operators, media persons, tour operators, vloggers and officials attended the launch.
- Launching the initiative with Deputy Chief Minister Chowna Mein, in the presence of Tourism Minister Nakap Nalo, Secretary Sadhana Deori and Director Abu Tayeng from DK Convention Centre here, Khandu said that the government is focused on uplifting the tourism sector.
Capital : Itanagar
CM : Pema Khandu
Governor : B.D. Mishra
Arunachal Pradesh CM Pema Khandu – ‘Dekho Apna Pradesh’.
16. Khelo India Scheme has been extended to 2025-26. How much amount has been allocated in the Budget Estimate (B.E.) for the year 2021-22 under the Khelo India Scheme?
A) Rs 657.71 crore
B) Rs 557.71 crore
C) Rs 457.71 crore
D) Rs 357.71 crore
E) Rs 257.71 crore
Answer: A) Rs 657.71 crore
- Khelo India Scheme has been extended to 2025-26, Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju announced in Rajya Sabha.
- The Ministry has decided to extend Khelo India scheme from 2021-22 to 2025-26.
- The Ministry has furnished an Expenditure Finance Committee (EFC) memorandum to the Ministry of Finance for extension/continuation of the Khelo India Scheme from 2021-22 to 2025- 26.
- An amount of Rs 8750 crore has been estimated as financial implication of the new Khelo India Scheme (2021-22 to 2025-26) in the EFC memorandum furnished to the Ministry of Finance.
- An amount of Rs 657.71 crore has been allocated in the Budget Estimate (B.E.) for the year 2021-22 under the Khelo India Scheme.
- The first Khelo India Games were held in 2018.
Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports:
Minister: Kiren Rijiju
Constituency : Arunachal Pradesh West, Arunachal Pradesh
Kiren Rijiju – Khelo India Scheme extended till 2025-26.
17. Union Cabinet has approved the signing of a MoU between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), India and Independent Administrative Reforms and Civil Services Commission (IARCSC) of which country?
Answer: C) Afghanistan
- Union Cabinet has approved the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Union Public Service Commission (UPSC), India and Independent Administrative Reforms and Civil Services Commission (IARCSC), Afghanistan.
- The MoU will strengthen the relationship between IARCSC and UPSC.
- It will facilitate sharing of experience and expertise of both the institutions in the area of recruitment.
- The MoU includes exchange of information and expertise including books, manuals and other documents which are not of a confidential nature and sharing of expertise in the use of Information Technology (IT) for the preparation of written examinations and holding of Computer Based Recruitment Tests and Online Examinations
Cabinet – Approve signing of MoU between UPSC, Afghanistan’s IARCSC.
18. Which state virtually launches e-Office, e-Heli Service, e-Aagman, e-Lahaul for Lahaul-Spiti district?
B) Uttar Pradesh
C) Madhya Pradesh
D) Himachal Pradesh
E) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: D) Himachal Pradesh
- Himachal Pradesh Chief Minister Jai Ram Thakur virtually launched e-Office, e-Heli Service, e-Aagman and e-Lahaul for Lahaul-Spiti district from Shimla.
- All these services would go a long way in providing people friendly services to the people of Lahaul-Spiti district on click of button.
Capital : Shimla
CM : Jai Ram Thakur
Governor : Bandaru Dattatreya
Himachal Pradesh CM – Launch e-Office, e-Heli Service, e-Aagman, e-Lahaul for Lahaul-Spiti district.
19. Which organisation launched Climate Data Service Portal (CDSP) to aid climate change mitigation in India?
Answer: E) IMD
- The mean temperatures have shown a steep rise across all seasons since 1996 over India with the sharpest trend recorded in the pre-monsoon season, shows India Meteorological Department’s latest offering—Climate Data Service Portal (CDSP).
- The data highlights the impact of climate change on India’s mean temperature trends.
- The portal, launched on World Meteorological Day, has real time visualisation of meteorological data from across the country; climatological tables; visualisation of historical meteorological data including of monsoon rainfall pattern; mean temperature rise; and frequency of cyclones etc.
The India Meteorological Department:
Headquarters: Mausam Bhavan, Lodhi Road, New Delhi
Subsidiaries: Regional Meteorological Centre, Chennai, Indian Institute Of Tropical Meteorology
Parent organization: Ministry of Earth Sciences
IMD – portal to aid climate change mitigation in India.
20. MoS Shri Sanjay Dhotre releases Commemorative Postage Stamp on 100 Years of First Visit of Mahatma Gandhi to which state?
C) Madhya Pradesh
D) Himachal Pradesh
E) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: B) Odisha
- Shri Sanjay Dhotre,Minister of State for Education, Communications and Electronics & Information Technology digitally released a Commemorative Postage Stamp on 100 Years of First Visit of Mahatma Gandhi to Odisha.
- Public Function in this regard was organised at Swaraj Ashram, Cuttack, Odisha. Shri Bhartruhari Mahtab, Member of Parliament, Cuttack, Odisha, Shri Jyoti Prakash Panigrahi,Minister, Odia Language, Tourism & Culture, Government of Odisha and Senior Officers of Department of Posts attended the function.
- This Commemorative Postage Stamp celebrates an important event of Indian History which is the first visit of Mahatma Gandhi to Odisha on 23rd March, 1921.
- It energized the Non-Cooperation movement and strengthened the cause of freedom struggle.
- During the visit of Mahatma Gandhi, large section of youth participated in the movement and women folk regularly spun Charkha and propagated the use of Khadi.
- Clothes of foreign origin were abandoned. Such was the magical presence of Mahatma Gandhi that Odisha woke up from slumber and plunged itself in the national movement.
- The stamp issued is an inspiration to youth, women, intelligentsia and common folk.
- The society of today may not be able to comprehend the challenges that the society had faced a hundred years ago in the colonial rule.
- The First Day Cover of the Commemorative Postage Stamp portrays the Swaraj Ashram at Cuttack, where Mahatma Gandhi stayed during his first visit to Odisha on 23rd March, 1921.
- The Commemorative Postage Stamp, First Day Cover (FDC) and Information Brochure would be available for sale at 76 Philatelic Bureaux situated in every corner of the country as well as can be ordered online via e-postoffice.
MoS Shri Sanjay Dhotre – Release Commemorative Postage Stamp on 100 Years of First Visit of Mahatma Gandhi to Odisha.