Daily Current Affairs October 15&16
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs October 15&16. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
October 15&16| Daily Current Affairs 2022
Important Days – Daily Current Affairs October 15&16
1. International Day of Rural Women is celebrated on?
A) October 14
B) October 17
C) October 15
D) October 13
E) October 16
Answer: C) October 15
- International Day of Rural Women is celebrated on 15 October every year.
- The day is dedicated to the millions of women who live in remote, rural areas.
- It is to celebrate and highlight their achievements and contributions towards rural development and agriculture.
- The theme for International Day of Rural Women 2022 is “Rural Women, key for a world free from hunger and poverty.”
- The theme focuses on equality and women’s empowerment and wants women to fight against the problems of hunger and malnutrition.
- In the year 1995, the Fourth World Conference on Women was conducted in Beijing, China, and the main topic of discussion was the empowerment of women.
- It was when the UN suggested that 15 October could be observed as International Day of Rural Women to appreciate the contribution of rural women in agriculture, food production, and food safety.
- It was on 18 December 2007 when the UN declared that October 15 would be observed annually as International Day of Rural Women worldwide.
- Since then many countries globally observe and celebrate the strength and achievements of rural women despite the struggles and the stereotypes.
Sports – Daily Current Affairs October 15&16
2. Indian Naval Academy will conduct Indian Navy Sailing Championship 2022 in which of the following state?
A) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: E) Kerala
- Indian Naval Academy, Ezhimala will conduct Indian Navy Sailing Championship 2022 at Marakkar Watermanship Training Centre in Kerala.
- This mega championship is the largest intra-Navy sailing regatta in which nearly one hundred yatch persons from all three Indian Naval Commands will participate.
- This Sailing Championship is one of the events being conducted by the Indian Navy to commemorate Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav and khelo India.
- The Championship will be held from 18 to 21st of this month.
Ranking – Daily Current Affairs October 15&16
3. In Global Hunger Index 2022: India ranked ____ out of 121?
Answer: B) 107th
- India ranked 107th out of 121 assessed countries on the 2022 Global Hunger Index (GHI).
- With an overall score of 29.1 (see table below to understand the measurement), the level of hunger in India has been categorised as “serious”.
- India was ranked 101st out of 116 countries in the GHI 2021 and 94th out of 107 assessed countries in 2020.
- The report that has used the fifth National Family Health Survey (NFHS-5) and FAO (Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations) Food Security Indicators as its sources for India has highlighted that child wasting (low-weight-for-height) rate in India, at 19.3 per cent, is the highest of any country in the world. With 35.5 per cent of children below five years stunted (low height for age), India, Pakistan, and Afghanistan are among the worst-performing countries.
- This has put India off-track regarding the progress needed to achieve the Sustainable Development Goal of “Zero Hunger” (Goal 2) by 2030.
- While India’s neighbouring countries are also not in the ‘low hunger’ category, Pakistan (26.1), Nepal (19.1), Bangladesh (19.6), and Sri Lanka (13.6) have secured a relatively better rank than India.
- Meanwhile, with an overall score below 5, China has remained in the “low hunger” category for the third time in a row.
Banking and Finance – Daily Current Affairs October 15&16
4. Irdai imposed how many crores penalty on Max Life Insurance Company?
A) Rs 4 crores
B) Rs 6 crores
C) Rs 5 crores
D) Rs 3 crores
E) Rs 2 crores
Answer: D) Rs 3 crores
- Regulator Irdai has imposed a penalty of Rs 3 crore on Max Life Insurance Company for certain violations in a case pertaining to purchase and sale of shares by the Axis Bank and group companies.
- In another order, the Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (Irdai) has imposed a penalty of Rs 2 crore on Axis Bank, a corporate agent of the insurer.
- The penalty on Max Life Insurance is for violation of Irdai’s direction, misrepresentation to obtain approval, and contravention of share transfer directions.
- Irdai said “it is evident that Axis Bank has sold its stake of 0.998 per cent shares of Max Life in March 2021 to MFSL and MSI at Rs 166 per share.
- Subsequently, in March-April 2021, Axis Bank and its Group entities acquired. 12.002 per cent shares from MFSL at a price range of Rs 31.51-Rs 32.12 per share .
- This is not in compliance with the directions issued by the Authority (Irdai)…” MFSL is Max Financial Service Ltd and MSI is Mitsui Sumitomo International.
- As per the order on Axis Bank matter, the penalty of Rs 2 crore has been imposed on the lender for making undue gains of substantial amounts by way of transactions in shares of Max Life Insurance and in violation of other norms.
Acquisitions and Mergers – Daily Current Affairs October 15&16
5. HDFC Life Announced Completion of Exide Life Merger,in which year HDFC life Insurance Founded?
Answer: A) 2000
- HDFC Life, one of India’s leading life insurers, announced the merger with its wholly owned subsidiary Exide Life, pursuant to the receipt of the final approval from Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India (IRDAI).
- This event marks the completion of the first ever merger and acquisition (M&A) transaction in the Indian life insurance sector.
- HDFC Life had completed the acquisition of Exide Life in January 2022.
- The entire transaction – from announcement of the deal in September 2021 followed by the acquisition in January 2022 and the eventual merger – was completed in less than 14 months.
Science and Technology – Daily Current Affairs October 15&16
6. ISRO will launch how many satellites of UK’s global communications network OneWeb?
Answer: C) 36
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) will launch 36 satellites of UK’s global communications network OneWeb on 23rd of this month.
- The launch of satellites is scheduled for 12.07 AM on October 23.
- The commercial launch onboard the GSLV-Mk3, India’s heaviest satellite, is being facilitated by Space PSU NewSpace India Limited (NSIL).
- NSIL has signed two launch service contracts with OneWeb for launching the firm’s LEO (low Earth orbit) broadband communication satellites onboard the GSLV-Mk3.
- The Space PSU has at least six commercial missions planned in the next few months.
Environment and Energy- Daily Current Affairs October 15&16
7. India has enough coal reserves to last for how many years?
A) 30 years
B) 25 years
C) 40 years
D) 35 years
E) 50 years
Answer: E) 50 years
- Union Coal Minister Pralhad Joshi stated that India has enough coal reserves to last 50 years and at present, 8 million tonnes of stock are available.
- Joshi’s statement came during the MoU between Rajasthan Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Limited (RUVNL) and Coal India Limited of the Union Ministry of Coal. Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot took part in the event.
- Under this MoU, Coal India will set up a solar project of 1190 MW capacity in Rajasthan.
- There will be an investment of more than 5 thousand crores in this.
- At the same time, the company will give Rs 2 crore annually to Rajasthan Vidyut Utpadan Nigam for the operation and maintenance of the solar park.
- At the same time, Coal India Limited will have to set up this project in the next 2 years.
- Rajasthan Government has given the responsibility of developing 2000 MW Solar Park to Rajasthan Vidyut Utpadan Nigam.
- For this, the Gehlot government has allotted 4846 hectares of land in Poogal, Bikaner.
- In the solar park, a solar project of 810 MW capacity will be set up by the production corporation itself.
- While the 1190 MW solar project will be set up by Coal India Limited.
8. India will produce how many percent of its oil demand by 2030?
Answer: B) 25%
- Indian petroleum industry is at the cusp of opportunity and will be able to produce 25 per cent of its crude oil demand by 2030, Union Petroleum and Urban Affairs Minister Hardeep Singh Puri.
- At present, five million barrels of petroleum is being consumed in our country every day and it is also increasing by three per cent, which is higher than the global average of nearly one per cent.
- The Union Minister shared this with the media at the three-day South Asian Geoscience Conference, GeoIndia 2022, which began at JECC, Sitapura in Rajasthan’s Jaipur.
- Veteran Geologist Shyam Vyas Rao, former Director (Exploration), Oil and Natural Gas Corporation Limited (ONGC), was also presented with the lifetime achievement award by the Minister in the inaugural session.
- Ethanol-blending percentage in petrol increased to 10 per cent in nine years.
- In the inaugural session, the Minister said that the ethanol-blend percentage in petrol has increased from 0.67 per cent in 2013 to 10 per cent in May 2022, i.e., five months ahead of schedule.
- It is reducing 2.7 million tonne of CO2 emissions which is good for the environment.
- As per the International Energy Agency estimates, India will contribute a quarter (25 per cent) of the growth in global energy consumption in the coming two decades.
Defence – Daily Current Affairs October 15&16
9. Indian Army signed historic MoU with how many Banks for Agniveer Salary Package?
Answer: D) 11
- The Indian Army has signed historic MoU with 11 Banks for providing banking facilities to Agniveers on enrollment.
- The Banks are SBI, PNB, Bank of Baroda, IDBI Bank, ICICI Bank, HDFC Bank, Axis Bank, Yes Bank, Kotak Mahindra Bank, IDFC First Bank and Bandhan Bank.
- The features and benefits offered under Agniveer Salary Package are similar to the Defence Salary Package.
- In addition, the banks have offered soft loans to exiting Agniveers to promote and enhance their entrepreneurial skills.
- The first batch of Agniveers under Agnipath Scheme will be joining Training Centres by January 2023.
10. Tri-Service Band Symphony ‘Ek Shaam Desh Ke Naam’ being organised in which of the following state/UT?
A) New Delhi
C) West Bengal
Answer: A) New Delhi
- The Headquarters, Integrated Defence Staff, will organise a Tri-Service Band Symphony ‘Ek Shaam Desh Ke Naam’ in New Delhi in the presence of Defence Minister Rajnath Singh to pay homage to the fallen heroes and highlight unity among the armed forces.
- During the event, tri-Service bands will play melodious tunes of patriotic and national fervour to highlight ‘Unity in Diversity‘ among the Armed Forces.
- This event is in continuation of the various activities being carried out by the headquarters to commemorate ‘Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav’ celebrations.
- Chief of Defence Staff General Anil Chauhan, Service Chiefs, other senior military and civil officials as well as families of personnel will also be present during the event.
11. Over how many MoUs will be signed at DefExpo 2022 in Gandhinagar?
Answer: C) 400
- Over 400 Memorandum of understandings (MoUs) are expected to be signed at the biggest ever DefExpo 2022, with 33 of them would be Gujarat specific and worth ₹5,500 crore, defence secretary Ajay Kumar.
- In the DefExpo at Gandhinagar which is starting from October 18 and will continue for five days, over 1,300 exhibitors including start-ups, from PSU and private industry, will display products that is aimed at boosting central government’s initiative of bringing in Atmanirbharta (self-reliance) in military sector.
- Ajay Kumar stated over 400 MoUs will be signed this time which is double since 201 were done during the last DefExpo at Lucknow.
- Apart from that, he stated ten States have also come up with their individual policies to attract manufacturers.
- So far, two defence corridors have also come up in Uttar Pradesh and Tamil Nadu to realise the potential of the defence sector which is also visible since stocks of related companies are doing well in the market.
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs October 15&16
12. India Post released special cover on Seabuckthorn in which of the following State/UT?
A) Himachal Pradesh
B) New Delhi
C) Jammu and Kashmir
Answer: E) Ladakh
- In Ladakh, India Post has released a special cover on Seabuckthorn as Leh product under One District, One Product theme for promotion.
- Apricot has been identified as Kargil product from Union Territory of Ladakh under the programme.
- The special cover was released by Jammu and Kashmir Circle Post Master General Niraj Kumar in a customer meet in Leh.
- Special cover aims at promotion of the product worldwide.
- Special cover is similar to postal stamp, valued by the philatelists and stamp collectors.
Mr Niraj Kumar also inaugurated a parcel packaging unit at Leh.
- Similarly, to ensure seamless transport as well as safety of the percels, a postal van was also flagged off from Leh to Delhi via Srinagar and Jammu.
- Defence Institute for High Altitude Research, DIHAR, Director Dr OP Chourasia and district senior officials were also present in the meeting.
13. Who among the following launched 75 digital banking units across 75 districts?
A) Vice President
B) Prime Minister
C) Home Minister
E) Finance Minister
Answer: B) Prime Minister
- With an objective to boost financial inclusion, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch 75 Digital Banking Units (DBUs) via video conferencing.
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman in her budget speech for 2022-23 had announced the setting up of 75 DBUs in 75 districts of the country to commemorate the 75 years of independence of the country.
- The DBUs are being set up to ensure that the benefits of digital banking reach every nook and corner of the country and cover all states and union territories.
- Eleven public sector banks, 12 private sector banks and one small finance bank are participating in the endeavour.
14. PM to launch urea bags under ‘Bharat’ brand, released ____ tranche of PM-KISAN funds?
Answer: D) 12th
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will launch subsidised urea bags under a single brand ‘Bharat’ as part of the ‘One Nation, One Fertiliser‘ scheme and inaugurate 600 PM Kisan Samruddhi Kendras at a two-day event starting October 17 in the national capital.
- At the event to be held at Mela ground in Pusa complex, Modi will also electronically transfer Rs 16,000 crores to the bank accounts of over 8.5 crore farmers as part of the PM-KISAN scheme, aimed at providing direct support of Rs 6,000 annually to them.
- The PM will also unveil an international weekly fertiliser e-magazine called ‘Indian Edge‘ and inaugurate an agri-startup conclave and exhibition at the event ‘PM Kisan Samman Sammelan 2022′ organised jointly by Agriculture and Fertilizer Ministries.
15. Home Minister Amit Shah inaugurated study of medical science in Hindi in which of the following state?
A) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: A) Madhya Pradesh
- Home Minister Amit Shah will inaugurate the study of medical science in Hindi in Bhopal, Madhya Pradesh.
- Hindi books of MBBS first year will be released on the occasion.
- AIR correspondent reports, Madhya Pradesh is becoming the first state in the country to provide medical and engineering education in Hindi medium.
- This work is on line of the implementation of the resolution of Prime Minister Narendra Modi, under which he has emphasized on the use of mother tongue from primary education to higher education
- Conferences based on use of Hindi will be organized in all the districts of MP on 16th October.
- During this, seminars and other activities will be held in educational institutions.
- While in the evening, earthen lamps symbolising the light of knowledge in Hindi will be lit at prominent places in all the districts including Bhopal.
- The main program will also be telecast live in all educational institutions.
16. India will host ____ General Assembly of INTERPOL?
Answer: C) 90th
- India is hosting the 90th General Assembly of the International Criminal Police Organization, INTERPOL from 18th to 21st of October in New Delhi.
- The General Assembly is INTERPOL’s supreme governing body, comprising representatives from each of 195 member countries.
- It meets once a year.
- India is one of the oldest members of Interpol and joined the organization in 1949.
- All member countries of INTERPOL have agreed to ensure and promote the widest possible assistance between all criminal police authorities in the prevention and suppression of ordinary law crimes.
- The role of INTERPOL is to enable police around the world to work together to make the world a safer place.
17. Indian Railways accomplishes electrification of over how many percent of total Broad Gauge network?
Answer: E) 81%
- Indian Railways has accomplished electrification of over 81 percent of the total Broad Gauge network in the country.
- Out of over 65 thousand Route Kilometers (RKMs) of the network, more than 53 thousand Route Kilometers have been electrified till last month.
- During the current financial year, till September, 851 RKMs have been electrified as compared to 562 RKMs during the corresponding period of 2021-22.
- The target set for electrification during this Financial Year is six thousand 500 RKMs.
- Indian Railways has embarked upon an ambition plan of electrification of its complete Broad Gauge network for better fuel energy usage, reduce fuel expenditure and save precious foreign exchange.
Over All Review
Banking and Finance
Acquisitions and Mergers
Science and Technology
Environment and Energy