Daily Current Affairs October 14
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs October 14. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
October 14| Daily Current Affairs 2022
Business and Economy – Daily Current Affairs October 14
1. Retail inflation rises to ______ per cent in September?
Answer: E) 7.41%
- Retail inflation based on the consumer price index (CPI) rose to 7.41 per cent in September 2022 as compared to 7 per cent in preceding month.
- Data released by the Ministry of Statistics and Programme Implementation, inflation climbed mainly due to modest rise in prices of Food & Beverages, Clothing & footwear and Fuel & light segments.
- In September inflation in food basket stood at 8.41 per cent, compared to 7.57 per cent in August this year and in clothing & footwear stood at 10.17 percent while fuel & light witnessed 10.39 percent inflation.
- The government has mandated RBI to maintain retail inflation at four per cent with a margin of two per cent on either side.
2. WPI inflation eases to _____ percent in September?
Answer: C) 10.7%
- Wholesale price-based inflation eased to 18 month low of 10.7 per cent in September as compared to 12.41 per cent in August.
- Data released by the Commerce and Industry Ministry WPI inflation fell amid easing prices of Food index.
- Food inflation based on WPI Food Index decreased to 8.08 percent in September from 9.93 percent in August this year.
- The main contributors to inflation in September were the rise in prices of crude petroleum and natural gas, mineral oils, chemicals, and chemical products, basic metals, electricity, and textiles as compared to September 2021 when WPI inflation was 11.8 percent.
- The Wholesale inflation was at a record high of 15.88 per cent in May this year.
Acquisitions and Mergers – Daily Current Affairs October 14
3. Vedantu acquired stake in Deeksha for how much rupees?
A) Rs 330 crore
B) Rs 420 crore
C) Rs 220 crore
D) Rs 450 crore
E) Rs 150 crore
Answer: A) Rs 330 crore
- Edtech firm Vedantu has acquired a majority stake in test preparation platform Ace Creative Learning, which operates under the Deeksha brand for USD 40 million (about Rs 330 crore).
- This acquisition will help Deeksha to expand its hybrid business model with access to about 40 offline centres, Deeksha operates in three states of Karnataka, Telangana and Andhra Pradesh.
- Deeksha is expected to close the current fiscal year with revenue in the range of Rs 90-100 crore.
- With this strategic investment, Deeksha will bring in close to 13,000 of its students to Vedantu’s platform.
- Deeksha will leverage Vedantu’s already existing Live classes, educational technology, and pedagogical content.
4. Which of the following has been given approval for the merger of Exide Life into HDFC Life?
Answer: B) IRDAI
- Insurance sector regulator IRDAI has granted final approval to NSE 0.45 % (HDFC Life) to merge Exide Life into the company.
- In January 2022, NSE 0.45 % acquired 100 per cent stake in NSE -0.58 % Life Insurance Company from its parent firm NSE -0.58 % for Rs 6,687 crore in order to increase its presence in the south India market.
- IRDAI has given its final approval to the scheme of amalgamation and transfer of life insurance business.
- With the transfer of its life insurance business to HDFC Life, Exide Industries acquired 4.12 per cent stake in HDFC Life.
- The insurer had received approval from the Mumbai bench of the National Company Law Tribunal (NCLT) for merger of Exide Life into itself Stock of HDFC Life closed at Rs 520.65 apiece on BSE, down by 1.05 per cent from previous close.
Appointments – Daily Current Affairs October 14
5. Who among the following has been appointed as the chairperson of parliamentary panel on chemicals and fertilisers?
A) Ashok Kumar Gupta
B) Jagdesh Kumar
C) Shashi Tharoor
D) Ajay Kumar Bhalla
E) Vinay Mohan
Answer: C) Shashi Tharoor
- Congress leader Shashi Tharoor has been appointed as chairperson of the Parliamentary Standing Committee on Chemicals and Fertilizers, a notification issued by the Lok Sabha Secretariat.
- Tharoor, who was earlier chairing the parliamentary panel on information technology, now was also replaced as the member of the committee as well.
- Tharoor-led IT panel discussed several issues like Pegasus snooping row, internet shutdowns, Facebook whistle-blower, which were critical of the government.
- The Lok Sabha Secretariat has nominated M K Vishnu Prasad to the Committee on Information Technology replacing Shashi Tharoor.
Awards – Daily Current Affairs October 14
6. Which Bank bagged ‘Governance Now’ Award for ‘SME Connect’ category?
A) Axis Bank
C) IndusInd Bank
Answer: C) IndusInd Bank
- IndusInd Bank has been awarded at the ‘Governance Now 5th India BFSI Conclave & Awards’ under the category of ‘SME Connect‘ for initiating ‘Indus Credit for Business’.
- The award acknowledges the Bank’s outstanding support in the SME ecosystem and promoting digital financial inclusion in the country by offering credit to MSMEs digitally through ‘Indus easy credit stack for business’.
- The award was received by Ms. Charu Sachdeva Mathur, Head of Digital Banking and Strategy (Existing Business), IndusInd Bank.
- Governance Now 5th India BFSI Conclave & Awards 2022 recognizes the contributions made by the BFSI and Fintech sector in developing and including digital finance in the country.
International Affairs – Daily Current Affairs October 14
7. 7th edition of IBSAMAR helds at Port Elizabeth in _______?
A) South Africa
Answer: A) South Africa
- The 7th edition of IBSAMAR, a joint multinational maritime exercise, among the Indian, Brazilian, and South Africa Navies was held at Port Elizabeth in South Africa.
- The Indian Navy was represented by the guided missile frigate, INS Tarkash, a Chetak helicopter, and MARCOS special forces.
- The objectives of the exercise is to strengthening the maritime relations, promoting joint operational military training, combating maritime crimes, securing Sea Lines of Communication, and enhancing interoperability to pursue common evolutions at sea.
- The exercise progressed over three days in both harbour and sea phases.
8. Which of the following minister holds meetings with Australia, Egypt counterparts?
A) Defence Minister
B) Commerce Minister
C) Social Justice Minister
D) Labour and Employment Minister
E) Finance Minister
Answer: E) Finance Minister
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman held bilateral meetings with her counterparts J E Chalmers, Treasurer of Australia and Rania Al Mashat, Egypt’s Minister of International Cooperation of Arab.
- And also discussions with the leadership of OECD and UNDP Administrator A Steiner on Sustainable Finance.
- On the sidelines of the annual meeting of the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank as part of her engagements with the top financial leaders ahead of the year’s G-20 presidency by India.
- During these all meetings India received support for its G-20 agenda and support in India’s G20 Presidency in 2023.
- India and Egypt shared the importance of mobilising adequate resources for climate finance and agreed to cooperate closely for Egypt’s hosting of COP27 and the upcoming G20 Presidency of India in 2023.
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs October 14
9. 5th edition of Vande Bharat Express train will be launched between which among the following line?
E) Chennai-Bengaluru- Mumbai
Answer: B) Chennai-Bengaluru-Mysuru
- The Vande Bharat Express is likely to make its southern debut on November 10, when its 5th edition will be launched between Chennai-Bengaluru and Mysuru and cover distance around 483 km.
- The Railways recently launched the third and the fourth Vande Bharat Express from poll-bound states of Gujarat and Himachal Pradesh.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off the inaugural run of Vande Bharat Express train at Amb Andaura railway station in Himachal Pradesh’s Una district.
- Vande Bharat 2.0 trains come fitted with the Train Collision Avoidance System (TCAS) called KAVACH.
10. Who among the following laid the foundation stones for projects of central and Assam govts?
A) Narendra Modi
B) Rajnath Singh
C) Droupadi Murmu
D) Piyush Goyal
E) Virendra Kumar
Answer: C) Droupadi Murmu
- President Droupadi Murmu virtually laid the foundation stones for several projects of the Central and the Assam government.
- The project including 3,000 model Anganwadi centres with modern facilities and the Mission Saubhagya, a scheme to achieve universal electrification and 100 model secondary schools in tea garden areas of the state.
- She flagged off the extended run of a train on the Guwahati-Lumding route to Shokhuvi in Nagaland and Mendipathar in Meghalaya and is the first direct passenger train service b/w Nagaland and Meghalaya.
- She inaugurated a rail-fed petroleum storage depot of Indian Oil Corporation at Moinarbond in Silchar.
- Two highway projects and a modern cargo-cum-coaching terminal at Agthori in Guwahati were also launched.
11. Central government got Rs 360 crore dividends from how many state-owned firms?
Answer: D) 5
- The central government has received a total of Rs 360 crore on a cumulative basis as dividends from five state-owned companies announced by the Department of Investment and Public Asset Management (DIPAM).
- Those companies are Power Finance Corporation (PFC), Engineers India Limited (EIL), Balmer Lawrie Investments, Indian Railway Construction Limited (IRCON) and Rail India Technical and Economic Service Limited (RITES).
- And they paid Rs 185 crore, Rs 29 crore, Rs 40 crore, Rs 45 crore, and Rs 61 crore, respectively.
12. Coal India to set up ______ MW solar power plant in Rajasthan?
Answer: A) 1,190
- Coal India Ltd (CIL) will set up a 1,190-MW solar power plant in Bikaner district of Rajasthan.
- CIL has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) of Rs 5,400 crore with the Rajasthan Vidyut Utpadan Nigam Ltd (RUVNL) in the presence of Union Coal Minister Pralhad Joshi and Rajasthan chief minister Ashok Gehlot.
- The solar plant of CIL will be set up in a 2,000-MW solar park being developed by RVUNL in Poogal, Bikaner.
- The state government has allotted 4,846 hectares land to develop the park in which the RVUNL will set up its own solar project of 810 MW.
- Rajasthan sets the target of developing 500 GW capacity renewable energy by 2029-30 would be achieved with good coordination between the central and state governments.
- Joshi said that per capita electricity consumption in the country will almost double by 2040 and to meet future needs to pay special attention to electricity generation from renewable sources.
13. Centre will soon launch how many Kisan Samriddhi Kendras for farmers?
Answer: C) 600
- The Central government will soon launch 600 Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samriddhi Kendras, which will not just retail fertilisers but offer one-stop solutions to farmers in the form of crop advisories, soil- and seed-testing facilities, retailing seeds and pesticides, and even custom hiring of agricultural equipment and machines.
- The kendras expected to be launched by Prime Minister Modi to provide the facilities to farmers under one roof.
- Farmers will retail products under the newly launched “One Nation One Fertiliser” programme of the government.
- Under that all fertilisers will be sold under the “Bharat” brand.
- Each urea-manufacturing unit would promote 20 such kendras while each P&K (phosphorus and potassium) manufacturer or importer would promote another 20.
- The initial plan is to set up around 1,000 such model retail units and the number will be scaled up later depending on the need and demand.
- Kendras are also being designed to create awareness among farmers about a balanced use of fertilisers, including organic fertilisers and micronutrients.
- All commercial activities in such kendras such as retailing fertilisers, seeds and pesticides will be done by operators or retailers while extension services such as crop advisories or good farming practices will be provided by Krishi Vigyan Kendras (KVKs) or agriculture universities.
14. PM GatiShakti has potential to save ______ annually announced by Goyal?
A) Rs 20 trillion
B) Rs 30 trillion
C) Rs 50 trillion
D) Rs 40 trillion
E) Rs 10 trillion
Answer: E) Rs 10 trillion
- Commerce and Industry Minister Piyush Goyal stated that PM GatiShakti National Master Plan has the potential to save over Rs 10 lakh crore annually by improving logistics efficiency.
- He addressed a national workshop on PM GatiShakti to mark the first anniversary of the National Master Plan.
- It was increasingly being used in the social sector for better infrastructure development thereby taking fruits of technology to every citizen of the country and improving ease of life for the common man.
- PM GatiShakti is a transformative approach for integrated and holistic planning across concerned ministries and departments to improve multimodal connectivity, and logistics efficiency and address critical gaps for the seamless movement of people and goods with a focus on minimizing disruptions and ensuring timely completion of works.
15. Name the state/UT that stops drug production at manufacturing plant of Maiden Pharmaceuticals?
D) Jammu and Kashmir
Answer: A) Haryana
- Haryana government has stopped drug production at a manufacturing plant of Maiden Pharmaceuticals in Sonipat.
- This comes after the World Health Organisation alerted that as many as 66 children in the Gambia may have died after consuming the cough syrups, made by the company.
Major irregularities were found at the production facilities of Maiden Pharmaceuticals.
Over All Review
Business And Economy
Acquisitions and Mergers