Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
March 15 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. World Consumer Rights Day is observed on which date?
A) March 16
B) March 15
C) March 12
D) March 13
E) March 14
Answer: B) March 15
The World Consumer Rights Day.
- The World Consumer Rights Day is observed annually on 15 March.
- On this day, advocates raise their voices to demand that the rights of all consumers are respected and protected, no matter the product or service in question or the social strata where the consumers belong.
- All the consumers also must have the power and knowledge to protest against market abuses and social injustices that try to undermine those rights in any way.
- Every year, there is a particular theme that is followed while celebrating World Consumer Rights Day. According to the Consumers International organisation, the theme for World Consumer Rights Day 2021 is ‘Tackle Plastic Pollution’.
- The World Consumer Rights Day was inspired by former US president John F Kennedy when he gave a message about consumer rights while speaking at the US Congress on 15 March, 1962.
2. Who became the first-ever batsman to score 3,000 runs in T20Is?
A) Suresh Raina
B) Rohit Sharma
C) M S Dhoni
D) Sachin Tendulkar
E) Virat Kholi
Answer: E) Virat Kholi
- India skipper Virat Kohli became the first-ever batsman to score 3,000 runs in T20Is.
Kohli achieved the milestone during the second T20I against England here at
Narendra Modi Stadium.
- The skipper was just 72 runs behind from touching the landmark figure and with his unbeaten knock of 73 runs which helped India register an emphatic seven-wicket win he crossed the 3,000-run mark.
- He now has 3,001 runs from 87 T20I matches.
- New Zealand’s Martin Guptill is second on the list of leading run-getters in T20I cricket, having scored 2,839 runs in 99 matches.
- India’s Rohit Sharma comes third in the list with 2,773 runs in 108 matches.
Virat Kohli – First batsman to complete 3000 runs in T20I cricket.
3. Who inducted as Professional Golf Tour of India board member?
A) Lasith Malinga
B) M S Dhoni
C) Kapil Dev
D) Brian Lara
E) Sachin Tendulkar
Answer: C) Kapil Dev
- Legendary cricketer Kapil Dev was inducted as one of the board members of the Professional Golf Tour of India (PGTI).
- Dev, who captained India to World Cup glory in 1983, said he would work for the development of golf in the country.
Kapil Dev – Induct as PGTI board member.
4. Daniil Medvedev is related to which sports?
C) Table Tennis
Answer: E) Tennis
- Daniil Medvedev was pushed to three sets by doubles specialist Pierre-Hugues Herbert in the Open 13 final, winning 6-4, 6-7 (4), 6-4 for his 10th career title on the eve of his move up to second in the rankings.
- Medvedev will overtake Rafael Nadal and push the 20-time Grand Slam champion down to No. 3.
- Medvedev will be the first player outside the Big Four of Roger Federer, Nadal, Novak Djokovic and Andy Murray to do so since Nadal in July 2005.
Daniil Medvedev – Open 13 for 10th title on eve of move to No. 2.
5. Laxman Pai passed away. He won which award?
A) Vir Chakra
B) Bharat Ratna
C) Padma Vibhushan
D) Padma shri
E) Padma Bhushan
Answer: E) Padma Bhushan
- Renowned painter and Padma Bhushan awardee Laxman Pai died.
- Born in Goa in 1926, Pai was honoured with several prestigious awards, including Padma Bhushan, Padma Shri, Nehru Award and Lalit Kala Akademi Award.
Laxman Pai – Renowned Padma Bhushan awarded painter.
6. Chemancheri Kunhiraman Nair passes away. He was related to which field?
Answer: B) Artist
- Noted Kathakali artist Chemancheri Kunhiraman Nair passed away in Kozhikode, Kerala this morning.
- The 105-year-old had won the hearts of Kathakali lovers for several decades for his mudras, charm and grace.
- Nation had awarded him with Padma Shri in 2017 for his contributions to Kathakali
Chemancheri Kunhiraman Nair – Noted Kathakali artist.
BANKING AND FINANCE
7. Which organization “UPI-Help” on BHIM UPI will act as a grievance redressal mechanism for the users of the BHIM application?
Answer: E) NPCI
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI), the umbrella entity for digital payments in India, has gone live with “UPI-Help” on BHIM UPI, which will act as a grievance redressal mechanism for the users of the BHIM application.
- The application will enable the users to check the status of the pending transactions, raise complaints against transactions that have not been processed or the money has not reached the beneficiary, and raise complaints against merchant transactions.
Abbreviation: National Payments Corporation of India
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD & CEO: Dilip Asbe
NPCI – UPI-Help on BHIM app.
8. Securities and Exchange Board of India has approved which UPI handle to enable fast and seamless payment mandates for IPO applications?
Answer: E) Paytm
- Digital payments firm Paytm Payments Bank said Securities and Exchange Board of India has approved Paytm UPI handle to enable fast and seamless payment mandates for IPO applications.
- Paytm Payments Bank (PPBL) has also entered into a partnership with Paytm Money to enable payment mandates for IPO applications.
- Paytm Money has the aim to bring 10 million Indians to equity markets by the financial year 2022.
- As per the latest NPCI report, it registers the lowest technical decline rate of 0.02 per cent compared to all UPI remitter banks, and 0.04 per cent against all UPI beneficiary banks.
- Paytm’s stockbroking platform aims to open over 3.5 lakh Demat accounts by year-end and expects 60 per cent of users to be from small cities.
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
Paytm Payments Bank:
MD & CEO: Renu Satti
SEBI – Approve Paytm UPI handle for IPO applications.
9. Which company has introduced non-linked, participating individual savings plan with a combination of protection and savings?
A) Cholamandalam MS General Insurance
B) Bajaj Allianz General Insurance.
C) ICICI Lombard General Insurance
D) Apollo Munich Health Insurance
E) Life Insurance Corporation of India
Answer: E) Life Insurance Corporation of India
- Life Insurance Corporation of India has introduced LIC’s Bachat Plus, which is a non-linked, participating individual savings plan with a combination of protection and savings.
- This plan provides financial support for the family of the deceased policyholder any time before maturity and lump sum amount at the time of maturity for the surviving policyholders.
- Adding that the proposer can choose to pay the premium either as lumpsum (single premium) or for a limited period of five years.
- The minimum basic sum assured is ₹1 lakh with no upper limit.
Life Insurance Corporation:
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chairman: M R Kumar
LIC – Launch Bachat Plus.
ACQUISITIONS AND MERGERS
10. Tech Mahindra acquires how many % stake in Perigord to augment pharma expertise?
Answer: E) 70
- Digital transformation services provider Tech Mahindra announced it has acquired 70 per cent stake in Perigord, a leading supplier of consultancy and labelling artwork solutions to the pharmaceutical industry globally, for an undisclosed sum.
- This acquisition will help Tech Mahindra to augment expertise in the global pharmaceutical, healthcare and life science (HLS) sectors.
PGCIL acquires RNTL in Rajasthan:
- Power Grid Corporation of India Ltd (PGCIL) has acquired Ramgarh New Transmission Ltd (RNTL), which is expanding Rajasthan’s transmission system for discharging power from solar energy zones in the state.
Headquarters: Pune. Maharashtra
CEO: C. P. Gurnani
Tech Mahindra – Acquire 70% stake in Perigord to augment pharma expertise.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
11. “Jallianwala Bagh: A groundbreaking history of the 1919 massacre” is authored by whom?
A) Keerthi Nath Datta
B) Hari Nath Datta
C) Vishwa Nath Datta
D) Sundar Nath Datta
E) Siva Nath Datta
Answer: C) Vishwa Nath Datta
- The New edition of the late historian Vishwa Nath Datta’s 1969 classic “Jallianwala Bagh: A ground-breaking history of the 1919 massacre” is released, announced by publishing house Penguin.
- Brand New Start is authored by Mainak Dhar publishing house Bloomsbury.
Jallianwala Bagh: A groundbreaking history of the 1919 massacre – Vishwa Nath Datta (Author) – publishing house Penguin.
12. Grammy Awards were held in Los Angeles. This year in which edition?
Answer: A) 63
- The 63rd Grammy Awards were held in Los Angeles in a unique socially distanced fashion.
- The ceremony saw Meghan Thee Stallion and Harry Styles winning their first-ever Grammys.
- For BTS fans this was an evening of disappointment as the K-pop group lost on their chance of Grammys. The “Dynamite” band gave a performance from Seoul on the Grammy-nominated number.
- Beyonce created history at the 63rd Grammy Awards as she became the only female artist to ever win 28 Grammy awards. During the ceremony, the “Single Ladies” star was honoured for “Savage” (with Meghan Thee STallion) and “Black Parade.”
- The 63rd Grammys were hosted by Trevor Noah.
|Record of the year||Everything I Wanted by Billie Eilish|
|Album of the year||“Folklore” by Taylor Swift|
|Song of the year||“I Can’t Breathe” by Dernst Emile II, H.E.R. and Tiara Thomas|
|Best pop solo performance||“Watermelon” by Harry Styles|
|Best pop duo/group performance||“Rain on Me” by Lady Gaga and Ariana Grande|
|Best R&B album||“Bigger Love” by John Legend|
|Best R&B performance||“Black Parade” by Beyonce|
|Best traditional R&B performance||“Anything For You” by Ledisi|
|Best progressive R&B album||“It is what it is” by Thundercat|
|Best R&B song||“Better Than I Imagined” by Robert Glasper, Meshell Ndeogeocello & Gabriella Wilson|
|Best new artist||Megan Thee Stallion|
|Best rap performance||“Savage” by Megan Thee Stallion featuring Beyonce|
|Best rap song||“Savage” by Megan Thee Stallion featuring Beyonce|
|Best rap album||“King’s Disease” by Nas|
|Bets melodic rap performance||“Lockdown” by Anderson. Paak|
|Best traditional pop vocal album||“American Standard” by James Taylor|
|Best music video||“Brown Skin Girl” by Beyonce|
|Best song written for visual media||“No Time to Die” by Billie Eilish|
|Best compilation soundtrack for visual media||Jojo Rabbit|
|Best score soundtrack for visual media||Joker by Hildur Guonadottir|
|Best global music album||“Twice as Tall” by Burna Boy|
|Best dance recording||“10%” by Kaytranada featuring Kali Uchis|
|Best dance/electronic album||“Bubba” by Kaytranada|
|Best contemporary instrumental album||“Live at the Royal Albert Hall” by Snarky Puppy|
|Best rock performance||“Shameika” by Fiona Apple|
|Best metal performance||“Bum-Rush” by Body Count|
|Best rock album||“The New Abnormal” by The Strokes|
|Best rock song||“Stay High” by Brittany Howard|
|Best alternative music album||“Fetch the Bolt Cutters” by Fiona Apple|
|Best country solo performance||“When My Amy Prays” by Vince Gill|
|Best country duo/group performance “||“10,000 Hours” by Dan + Shay & Justin Bieber|
|Best country album||“Wildcard” by Miranda Lambert|
|Best country song||“Crowded Table” by Brandi Carlile, Natalie Hemby & Lori McKenna|
|Best new age album||“More Guitar Stories” by Jim “Kimo” West|
|Best jazz vocal album||“Secrets Are the Best Stories” by Kurt Elling Featuring Danilo Pérez|
|Best improvised jazz solo||“All Blues” by Chick Corea, Soloist Track From: Trilogy 2 (Chick Corea, Christian Mcbride & Brian Blade)|
|Best jazz instrumental album||“Trilogy 2” by Chick Corea, Christian McBride & Brian Blade|
|Best large jazz ensemble album||“Data Lords” by Maria Schneider Orchestra|
|Best Latin jazz album||“Four Questions” by Arturo O’farrill & The Afro Latin Jazz Orchestra|
|Best gospel performance/song||“Movin’ On” by Jonathan McReynolds & Mali Music|
63rd Grammy Awards – Held in Los Angeles.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
13. MG Motor India has joined hands with which IIT’s CART for research in the field of electric and autonomous vehicles?
A) IIT Delhi
B) IIT Bombay
C) IIT Mandi
D) IIT Hyderabad
E) IIT Madras
Answer: A) IIT Delhi
- MG Motor India said it has joined hands with IIT Delhi’s Centre for Automotive Research and Tribology (CART) for research in the field of electric and autonomous vehicles.
- The partnership through Foundation for Innovation and Technology Transfer (FITT), IIT Delhi aims at furthering the automaker’s focus on CASE mobility (Connected Autonomous Shared Electric); through enabling supporting research for deployment of electric and autonomous vehicles in the urban landscape in the country.
- The company has already worked in the past with IIT Delhi on a year-long project to boost in-car child safety seat project through geofencing.
MG Motor + IIT Delhi – Research in electric, autonomous technologies.
14. Which country unveiled a laser-guided mortar system could reduce civilian collateral damage?
Answer: E) Israel
- Israel unveiled a laser-guided mortar system that it said could reduce civilian collateral damage, as the Jewish state faces an International Criminal Court investigation into possible war crimes.
- The “Iron Sting” system, developed by the Israeli military with local firm Elbit Systems, will use laser and GPS technology to provide maximal accuracy to 120mm mortar round.
- The system will contend with enemies hidden within civilian, urban environments, while meeting the legal and moral standards set by the State of Israel.
Currency: Israeli new shekel
Israel – Laser-guided ‘precision’ mortar system.
15. Who introduced a Bill in Rajya Sabha that seek to amend the Insurance Act to pave the way for 74 per cent foreign direct investment (FDI) in the sector?
A) Venkaiah Naidu
B) Ramnath Kovind
C) Narendra Modi
D) Amit Shah
E) Nirmala Sitharaman
Answer: E) Nirmala Sitharaman
- Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman introduced a Bill in Rajya Sabha that seek to amend the Insurance Act to pave the way for 74 per cent foreign direct investment (FDI) in the sector.
- The Union Cabinet on Wednesday had gave its nod for amendments in the Insurance Amendment Bill 2021.
- Finance Minister Sitharaman introduced the Bill for amendments in the Insurance Act, 1938.
- Currently, the permissible FDI limit in the life and general insurance stands at 49 per cent with ownership and management control with Indian.
- It was in 2015 when the government hiked the FDI cap in the insurance sector from 26 per cent to 49 per cent.
- Increase in FDI will help improve life insurance penetration in the country.
- Life insurance premium as a percentage of GDP is 3.6 per cent in the country, way below the global average of 7.13 per cent, and in case of general insurance, it is even worse at 0.94 per cent of GDP, as against the world average of 2.88 per cent.
- The government has earlier allowed 100 per cent foreign direct investment in insurance intermediaries.
Mines & Minerals (Development and Regulation) Amendment Bill 2021 introduced in Lok Sabha:
- The Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Amendment Bill 2021 was introduced in the Lok Sabha today. Coal Minister Pralhad Joshi introduced the Bill which amends the Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act 1957.
- The legislation seeks to remove the distinction between captive and merchant mines.
- The Bill empowers the Central Government to issue directions regarding composition and utilisation of funds maintained by the District Mineral Foundation.
- The Bill aims at fully harnessing the potential of the mineral sector, increase employment and investment in the mining sector.
- This will also help in increasing the revenue of the States. The legislation will also help in increasing the production and time bound operationalization of mines in the country.
Rajya Sabha passes National Institutes of Food Technology, Entrepreneurship and Management Bill, 2019:
- Rajya Sabha passed the National Institutes of Food Technology, Entrepreneurship and Management Bill, 2019.
- The bill aims to declare certain institutions of Food Technology, Entrepreneurship and Management to be the institutions of national importance.
- These institutes are the National Institute of Food Technology Entrepreneurship and Management Kundli, and the Indian Institute of Food Processing Technology, Thanjavur.
- The bill facilitates these institutes in terms of providing instruction, research, and knowledge dissemination in the field of food science and technology.
- The Bill also provides for a Board of Governors, which will act as the principal executive body of the institutes and a Council for coordinating activities and facilitating interactions for performance improvement.
Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Amendment Bill 2021 introduced in Lok Sabha:
- Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Amendment Bill 2021 was introduced in the Lok Sabha.
- Women and Child Development Minister Smriti Irani introduced the Bill which seeks to amend the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection of Children) Act, 2015.
- The amendments include authorizing District Magistrate including Additional District Magistrate to issue adoption orders to ensure speedy disposal of cases and enhance accountability.
- Defining eligibility parameters for appointment of Child Welfare Committee members and categorizing previously undefined offences as serious offences are some of the other aspects of the Bill.
Finance and Corporate Affairs:
Minister: Nirmala Sitharaman
Constituency: Rajya Sabha MP, Karnataka
FM Sitharaman – Introduce Bill in Rajya Sabha to allow 74% FDI in insurance.
16. The Government has approved financial assistance of how much rupees each in respect of death cases of journalists due to Covid-19?
A) 2 lakhs
B) 3 lakhs
C) 4 lakhs
D) 5 lakhs
E) 1 lakh
Answer: D) 5 lakhs
Govt – Financial assistance of Rs 5 lakh each in respect of death cases of journalists due to Covid
17. Which state/UT approves interest-free loan worth two lakh rupees for beneficiaries of PMAY-U?
E) Jammu & Kashmir
Answer: E) Jammu & Kashmir
- Jammu and Kashmir government has approved a proposal to provide interest-free loan up to 2 lakh rupees to the urban homeless economically weaker section beneficiaries under Beneficiary Led Construction (BLC) component of the Pradhan Mantri Awas Yojana-Urban (PMAY-U).
- The beneficiaries under the BLC component of PMAY-U have experienced the difficulty in mobilizing their contribution as they come from economically weaker sections.
- The interest-free loan will be an additional benefit, over and above the financial assistance of 1.66 lakh rupees which is already being provided to the beneficiaries under the PMAY-U.
- With this the beneficiaries can now avail 3.66 lakh rupees for construction of their dwelling units.
- The tenure of the BLC interest-free loan has been fixed at 10 years and includes a moratorium of six months, repayable through monthly installment of 2,500 rupees.
Jammu and Kashmir:
Capital: Srinagar(summer), Jammu(winter)
Governor: Manoj Sinha
J&K govt – Interest-free loan worth two lakh rupees for beneficiaries of PMAY-U.
18. How many States/ UTs in India have less than 30 per cent micro-irrigation system?
Answer: D) 27
- Up to 60 per cent of water used for sugarcane, banana, okra, papaya, bittergourd and few other crops could be saved if a drip irrigation system is employed for cultivation.
But only four States — Sikkim, Andhra Pradesh, Karnataka and Maharashtra — have more than half of the net cultivated farmlands under micro-irrigation.
- 27 States (including UTs) in India have less than 30 per cent micro-irrigation system out of which 23 have less than 15 per cent micro-irrigation.
Net irrigated area:
- The data provided by the Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare to the Lok Sabha last month show that the net irrigated area in the country is 68,649 thousand ha.
- The agriculture land covered under micro-irrigation is 12,908.44 thousand ha in which drip irrigation is 6,112.05 thousand ha and sprinkler irrigation is 6,796.39 thousand ha.
- This means that out of total irrigated land in the country only 19 per cent is under micro-irrigation.
- These figures are from 2005-06 to 2020-21(as on February 3, 2021).
- Interestingly Uttar Pradesh, the largest sugarcane grower, has only 1.5 per cent while Punjab, the major wheat grower, has 1.2 per cent land under micro-irrigation.
- Bihar and West Bengal are among the States that have less than 5 per cent micro irrigated land.
- The figures are a cause for concern against the backdrop of a report of a committee appointed to look into the restructuring of the Central Water Commission and the Central Ground Water Board, paining a grave picture of India’s water situation.
- The report says that many of the peninsular rivers are facing a serious crisis of post-monsoon flows.
- An impact evaluation study of micro-irrigation scheme carried out by the Department of Agriculture, Cooperation and Farmers Welfare found that irrigation cost is reduced by 20-50 per cent with an average of 32.3 per cent in micro-irrigation schemes.
- Electricity consumption is reduced by about 31 per cent and the saving of fertilizers is in the range of 7 to 42 per cent.
- Most importantly, the overall income enhancement of farmers is in the range of 20-68 per cent with an average of 48.5 per cent.
27 State/UTs in India – Less than 30 per cent micro-irrigation system.
19. Which state Police launched the mPolice Mobile application scheme as part of the 5T initiative?
A) Arunachal Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: E) Odisha
- Odisha Police launched the mPolice Mobile application scheme, as part of the 5T initiative of the Odisha government for faster police verification of the passport applications.
- The Introduction of the citizen centric mPolice Mobile application scheme will ensure speedy and expeditious police verification of the passport applications by enabling last mile connectivity with the police stations.
- Under the scheme Tablets are being provided to the 553 police stations of the state and they will be used by the Verification Officers at the police station.
- In the first phase, the scheme is being launched in 100 police stations and the scheme will be rolled out by March 25 next in remaining police stations.
- Under the initiative police stations will be connected directly with the Passport Seva Kendra digitally.
- The Police Verification Report (PVR) of the passport applicants can be directly accessed by the officers of the police stations and the verification can be done online on the go and submitted without any time lag.
- In the earlier DPHQ (Dist Police Head Quarter) model the PVRs of the passport applicants were sent to the SP/DCP office and they were transmitted to the police stations after downloading them in the physical form.
Chief Minister – Naveen Patnaik
Governor – Ganeshi Lal
Odisha police – mPolice scheme for passport applications verification.
16. Which organisation Rolls Out Project RE-HAB to Prevent Elephant – Human Conflict Using Honey Bees?
Answer: E) KVIC
- Imagine a herd of elephants, the largest animal who is equally intelligent,being shooed away by the tiny honey bees.
- One may call it an exaggeration, but, this is a reality in the forests of Karnataka.
- Khadi and Village Industries Commission (KVIC), launched a unique project of creating “bee-fences” to mitigate human – elephant conflicts in the country.
- The objective of Project RE-HAB (Reducing Elephant – Human Attacks using Bees) is to thwart elephant attacks in human habitations using honey bees and thus reducingloss of lives of both, humans as well as elephants.
- The pilot project was launched at four locations around village Chelur in Kodagu district of Karnataka on 15th March, 2021 by KVIC Chairman Shri Vinai Kumar Saxena.
- These spots are located on the periphery of Nagarhole National Park and Tiger Reserve and prone to human-elephant conflicts.
- The total cost of the RE-HAB project is just Rs. 15 lakh.
- Project RE-HAB is a sub-mission under KVIC’s National Honey Mission.
- While the Honey Mission is a programme to increase the bee population, honey production and beekeepers’ income by setting up apiaries, Project RE-HAB uses bee boxes as a fence to prevent the attack of elephants.
- KVIC has set up 15-20 interspersed bee boxes at each of the four locationsin the passage ways of elephant-human conflict zones to block the entrance of elephants to human habitations.
- The boxes are connected with a string so that when elephants attempt to pass through, a tug or pull causes the bees to swarm the elephant herds and dissuade them from progressing further.
- Bee boxes have been placed on the ground as well as hung from the trees to block the passage of elephants. High resolution, night vision cameras have been installed at strategic points to record the impact of bees on elephants and their behavior in these zones.
Abbreviation: The Khadi and Village Industries Commission
Act: ‘Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act of 1956
Founded Year: 1956
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chairman: Vinai Kumar Saxena
KVIC – Project RE-HAB to Prevent Elephant – Human Conflict Using Honey Bees.