Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
March 12 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. World Kidney Day is observed on which date?
A) March 12
B) March 13
C) March 14
D) March 15
E) March 11
Answer: E) March 11
- World Kidney Day is a global health awareness campaign focusing on the importance of the kidneys and reducing the frequency and impact of kidney disease and its associated health problems worldwide.
- World Kidney Day is observed annually on the 2nd Thursday in March.
- Theme: “Living Well with Kidney Disease”.
2. Mithali Raj is related to which sports?
Answer: E) Cricket
- Veteran batter Mithali Raj became the first Indian woman cricketer and second internationally to complete 10,000 runs across all formats.
- She made 36 runs off 50 balls and hit five boundaries in the process.
- Mithali has amassed 663 runs in 10 Test matches with a best score of 214, while she has 6938 and 2364 runs from 212 ODIs and 89 T20 Internationals respectively.
Mithali Raj – 1st Indian woman cricketer to score 10,000 int’l runs.
3. US Open is related to which sports?
Answer: B) Badminton
- Badminton World Federation (BWF) announced that the US Open 2021 – a Super 300 tournament on the BWF World Tour – and Canada Open 2021 has been cancelled.
- The US Open was due to take place from July 6-11 while the Canada Open was slated for June 29 to July 4.
BWF – Cancel US Open and Canada Open due to Covid-19.
4. Lou Ottens passed away. He was invented _____?
C) Cassette Tape
Answer: C) Cassette Tape
- Lou Ottens, the Dutch inventor of the cassette tape, the medium of choice for millions of bedroom mix tapes, has died.
Lou Ottens – Dutch inventor of audio cassette.
5. Goodwill Zwelithini passed away. He was King of which country?
Answer: A) Zulu
- King Goodwill Zwelithini, the traditional leader of South Africa’s Zulu nation, has died aged 72 after being hospitalised for more than a month.
- Zwelithini, the eighth Zulu king, reigned for more than 50 years, making him the longest-serving Zulu monarch.
Goodwill Zwelithini – South Africa’s Zulu King.
BANKING AND FINANCE
6. The World Bank extended how much amount financing for the purchase and distribution of vaccines and to strengthen the country’s health systems in
A) $300 million
B) $200 million
C) $100 million
D) $400 million
E) $500 million
Answer: E) $500 million
- The World Bank extended $500 million financing for the purchase and distribution of vaccines and to strengthen the country’s health systems.
- In May, it extended a $500-million loan to provide relief to Filipinos who had lost jobs during lockdowns.
- Separately, the ADB allotted $400 million for the Philippines, the first recipient of its vaccine access support programme.
Currency: Philippine peso
Members: 189 countries (IBRD), 173 countries (IDA)
Hq: Washington D.C, US
Head: David Malpass
Asian Development Bank:
Member Countries: 68
Founded Year: 1966
Headquarters: Manila, Philippines
Head: Masatsugu Asakawa
Philippines – Secure $900 mn in loans from World Bank, ADB for Covid-19 vaccines.
7. Samsung Electronics, which card company and Samsung Card Sign MoU for Fingerprint Biometric Payment Card?
B) American Express
Answer: E) Mastercard
- Samsung Electronics’ System LSI Business, Mastercard, Samsung Card, have signed a memorandum of understanding to develop a biometric card that features a built-in fingerprint scanner to authorize transactions securely at in-store payment terminals.
- Through this strategic collaboration, the companies aim to provide faster and more secure payment experiences.
- The biometric authentication capability allows safer interactions with reduced physical contact points by eliminating the need to enter a PIN on a keypad.
- It also adds an extra layer of security to currently available credit cards by verifying the cardholder’s identity via a unique fingerprint.
Samsung Electronics + Mastercard + Samsung Card – Fingerprint Biometric Payment Card.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
8. According to RBI Data, CPI inflation averages ____ during Oct 2016-Mar 2020?
Answer: E) 3.9%
- The RBI can pat itself for nearly achieving the inflation targeting goal with the consumer price index averaging 3.9 per cent during October 2016-March 2020, as it races to review the monetary policy framework for the first time in five years, according to a report.
- The monetary policy committee headed by the RBI Governor is set to revise the policy framework and inflation targets by March 31 – the first review since it was tasked with a mandated inflation target of 4 per cent with a 2 per cent deviation either way in June 2016, when it adopted a flexible inflation targeting model.
- Not only did the headline CPI inflation averaged closer to the target at 3.9 per cent during this period, inflation volatility, measured by its standard deviation, also declined to 1.4 during October 2016-March 2020 from 2.4 in 2012-16, BofA Securities said quoting the Reserve Bank of India data.
Reserve Bank of India:
Act: Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
Governor– Shaktikanta Das
Deputy Governors– 4 (Bibhu Prasad Kanungo, Mahesh Kumar Jain, Michael Debabrata Patra, M. Rajeshwar Rao)
RBI – CPI inflation averages 3.9% during Oct 2016-Mar 2020.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
9. Which IIT announced that it has partnered with Hebrew University of Jerusalem, Israel (HUJI) to support collaborative and interdisciplinary education and research initiatives?
A) IIT Kozhikode
B) IIT Mandi
C) IIT Hyderabad
D) IIT Delhi
E) IIT Kanpur
Answer: D) IIT Delhi
IIT Delhi + Hebrew University of Jerusalem – Support collaborative research.
10. Japan-which country venture starts producing hydrogen from dirty coal?
Answer: E) Australia
- A Japanese-Australian venture has begun producing hydrogen from brown coal in a A$500 million ($390 million) pilot project that aims to show liquefied hydrogen can be produced commercially and exported safely overseas.
- The plan is to create the first international supply chain for liquefied hydrogen and the next big step will be to ship a cargo on the world’s first liquefied hydrogen carrier.
Currency: Japanese Yen
Currency: Australian Dollar
Japan-Australia venture – Start producing hydrogen from dirty coal.
11. Who launched ‘Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav’, the government’s initiative to mark 75 years of India’s Independence?
A) Amit Shah
B) Nirmala Sitharaman
C) Rajnath Singh
D) Ramnath Kovind
E) Narendra Modi
Answer: E) Narendra Modi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched ‘Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav’, the government’s initiative to mark 75 years of India’s Independence.
- The prime minister flagged off a padyatra (foot march) from Sabarmati Ashram to commemorate Mahatma Gandhi’s Dandi march.
- The padyatra is being undertaken by 81 marchers from Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad to Dandi in Navsari, a journey of 386 km.
- The march will end after 25 days, on April 5.
- Five pillars – Freedom Struggle, Ideas at 75, Achievements at 75, Actions at 75 and Resolves at 75 – are the guiding force for moving forward.
- The Central government has constituted a committee under Union Home Minister Amit Shah to chalk out policies and planning of various events to be undertaken as part of the celebrations.
- Gujarat Governor Acharya Devvrat and Chief Minister Vijay Rupani were present at the launch of the celebrations.
Prime Minister, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Department of Atomic Energy, Department of Space and All important policy issues and All other portfolios not allocated to any Minister:
Minister: Narendra Modi
Constituency: Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
PM Modi – ‘Azadi Ka Amrut Mahotsav’, flags off Dandi march.
12. The Union Minority Affairs Ministry is organising which edition of “Hunar Haat” at Lal Parade Ground, Bhopal in Uttar Pradesh?
Answer: A) 27
- The Union Minority Affairs Ministry is organising the 27th “Hunar Haat” at Lal Parade Ground, Bhopal with the theme of “Vocal for Local” from 12th to 21st March.
CM: Yogi Adityanath
Governor: Anandiben Patel
Lal Parade Ground, Bhopal – 27th Hunar Haat.
13. The first Meeting of the BRICS Contact Group on Economic and Trade Issues (CGETI) was held under which country chairmanship?
B) South Africa
Answer: A) India
- The first Meeting of the BRICS Contact Group on Economic and Trade Issues (CGETI) was held under India’s Chairship from 9th till 11th of this month.
- The theme of BRICS this year is –“BRICS at 15: Intra BRICS Cooperation for Continuity, Consolidation, and Consensus”.
- India presented the calendar of events for BRICS CGETI 2021, which included the priority areas for deliverables, schedule and scope of the MSME roundtable conference workshop on Services Statistics, and the BRICS Trade Fair.
- Till September, inter sessional deliberations will be carried out to reach consensus amongst the BRICS countries.
India – First Meeting of BRICS CGETI.
14. Govt launches mobile app named ______ for migrant PDS beneficiaries?
A) ”Mera Ration”
B) ”Vera Ration”
C) ”Sitha Ration”
D) ”Cera Ration”
E) ”PDS Ration”
Answer: A) ”Mera Ration”
- The Centre launched a mobile app ”Mera Ration” which ration card holders, particularly migrant beneficiaries, can use for identifying the nearest fair price shop, check details of their entitlement and recent transactions.
- The android-based mobile application, developed by the National Informatics Centre (NIC), is currently in Hindi and English. Gradually, it would be made available in 14 languages.
- Under the National Food Security Act (NFSA), the government supplies highly subsidised foodgrains at Rs 1-3 per kg to over 81 crore people through public distribution system (PDS).
- It is also offering ration card portability service ”One Nation One Ration Card (ONORC)” in 32 states and union territories.
- Besides, NFSA beneficiaries can identify the nearest FPS, easily check details of their foodgrains entitlement, previous six-month transactions and status of Aadhaar seeding.
- The government supplies 5 kg of subsidised foodgrains to each person per month through 5.4 lakh ration shops.
Govt – ”Mera Ration” mobile app for migrant PDS beneficiaries.
15. Three-day ‘Kalanamak Rice Festival’ will be held in which state?
A) West Bengal
D) Andhra Pradesh
E) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: E) Uttar Pradesh
- After grand success of Strawberry of Jhansi and the Jaggery Festival in Lucknow, the three-day ‘Kalanamak Rice Festival’ will be held in Siddharthnagar.
- Kalanamak rice is revered as Buddha’s Mahaprasad.
- Kalanamak having geographical indication(GI) tag.
- It is grown not only in Siddharthanagar alone, but districts with similar agro climatic zones Gorakhpur, Deoria, Kushinagar, Maharajganj, Santakbirnagar, Basti, Bahraich, Balrampur, Gonda and Shravasti also have it as ODOP.
- A few months ago, the list of ODOPs released by the central government in relation to farming has been included in Siddharthnagar along with the rest of the districts.
- Earlier, the Chief Minister had inaugurated the Strawberry Festival in Jhansi virtually and the two-day Gur Festival held in Lucknow. Dragon Fruit Festival is also slated to be organised.
CM: Yogi Adityanath
Governor: Anandiben Patel
‘Kalanamak Rice Festival’ – Siddharthnagar, Uttar Pradesh.
16. Which Airport launched India’s first dedicated Express Cargo Terminal, exclusively for export and import of international couriers?
A) Delhi Airport
B) Varanasi Airport
C) Chennai Airport
D) Bangalore Airport
E) Hyderabad Airport
Answer: D) Bangalore Airport
- The Bengaluru airport launched India’s first dedicated Express Cargo Terminal, exclusively for export and import of international couriers.
- The Express cargo terminal developed by Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) at the 200,000 sq.ft. built-to-suit facility will house leading global express courier organisations such as DHL Express and FedEx Express.
Bengaluru airport – India’s first dedicated express cargo terminal.
17. The First Quad Leaders’ Summit will be held virtually. How many member countries in Quad?
Answer: D) 4
- The First Quad Leaders’ Summit will be held virtually. Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Prime Minister of Australia, Scott Morrison, Japanese Prime Minister Yoshihide Suga and US President Joseph R Biden will participate in the first Leaders’ Summit of the Quadrilateral Framework.
- The Leaders will discuss regional and global issues of shared interest and exchange views on practical areas of cooperation towards maintaining a free, open and inclusive Indo-Pacific region.
- The Summit will provide an opportunity to exchange views on contemporary challenges such as resilient supply chains, emerging and critical technologies, maritime security and climate change.
- The Leaders will also discuss ongoing efforts to combat Covid-19 pandemic and explore opportunities for collaboration in ensuring safe, equitable and affordable vaccines in the Indo-Pacific region.
First Quad Leaders’ Summit – Prime Ministers of India, Australia, Japan & US President to virtually participate.