Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
January 12 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. “National Youth Day” is observed on January 12. In this day, to commemorate birth anniversary of whom?
A) Bhimrao Ramji Ambedkar
B) Indira Priyadarshini Gandhi
C) Vallabhbhai Jhaverbhai Patel
D) Mother Mary Teresa Bojaxhiu
E) Swami Vivekananda
Answer: E) Swami Vivekananda
2. According to the 2020 Hurun Global 500 ranking, what is the rank of Reliance Industries Ltd in among the 500 most valuable companies in the world?
Answer: B) 54
|73rd||Tata Consultancy Services|
|284th||Kotak Mahindra Bank|
BANKING AND FINANCE
3. FSS has partnered with Which Payments Bank to promote financial inclusion among underserved and unbanked segments?
A) Airtel Payments Bank
B) Paytm Payments Bank
C) NSDL Payments Bank
D) Fino Payments Bank
E) India Post Payments Bank
Answer: E) India Post Payments Bank
- FSS (Financial Software and Systems), a leading payment processor and provider of integrated payment products, has partnered with India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) to promote financial inclusion among underserved and unbanked segments.
- As part of the collaboration, IPPB will use FSS’ Aadhaar Enabled Payment System (AePS) to deliver interoperable and affordable doorstep banking services to customers across India.
- FSS’ AePS solution combines the low-cost structure of a branchless business model, digital distribution, and micro-targeting that lowers acquisition costs and improves reach.
India Post Payments Bank:
Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
CEO: J Venkatramu
FSS + India Post Payments Bank – Promote financial inclusion
4. IRDAI proposes extension of regulatory sandbox guidelines by how many years?
Answer: D) 2
- Insurance regulator IRDAI proposed to extend the validity of regulatory sandbox guidelines by two years as the proposals received under it require more time for completion.
- To give a fillip to insurance penetration and facilitate innovations in the sector, especially those triggered by technology, the regulator had notified the IRDAI (Regulatory Sandbox) Regulations, 2019 on July 26, 2019.
- The regulations are scheduled to expire on July 25, 2021.
Abbreviation: The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India
Act: The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act, 1999
Headquarters: Hyderabad, Telangana
Chairman: Subhash Chandra Khuntia
IRDAI – Extension of regulatory sandbox guidelines by 2 years.
5. Mahindra Life space Developers partners with which bank for faster home loan approvals as well as to offer special discounts to customers and employees of both the companies?
Answer: A) SBI
State Bank of India:
Capital: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Head: Dinesh Kumar Khara
Tagline: With You all the way, Pure Banking Nothing Else, The Nation Bank on Us, The Banker to Every Indian, A Bank of the Common Man.
Mahindra Lifespace Developers:
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD & CEO: Arvind Subramanian
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
6. “The Population Myth: Islam, Family Planning and Politics in India” is authored by S Y Quraishi. He served as which position?
B) Deputy Governor
C) Chief Election Commissioner
D) Chief Information Officer
E) Director General
Answer: C) Chief Election Commissioner
- This Book is published by HarperCollins India.
“The Population Myth: Islam, Family Planning and Politics in India” – S Y Quraishi (Author) – published by HarperCollins India.
7. Lalit Jalan is appointed as chairman of Indian operations of 3Lines Venture Capital. Before this appointment, He served as CEO of which company?
A) Jindal Steel Ltd
C) TATA Consultancy Services
D) Essar Steel Ltd
E) Reliance Infrastructure Ltd
Answer: E) Reliance Infrastructure Ltd
Lalit Jalan – 3Lines India Chairman.
8. Naomi Osaka is appointed as Brand Ambassador for Louis Vuitton. She was related to which Sports?
B) Table Tennis
Answer: A) Tennis
Naomi Osaka – Brand Ambassador for Louis Vuitton.
9. CBDT has launched an e-portal for filing complaints about tax evasion, ‘benami’ properties and undisclosed assets overseas. What is the headquarters of CBDT?
A) Kolkata, West Bengal
B) Hyderabad, Telangana
C) Bangalore, Karnataka
D) Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
E) New Delhi, Delhi
Answer: E) New Delhi, Delhi
- Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has launched a dedicated e-portal to receive and process complaints of tax evasion, foreign undisclosed assets as well as complaints regarding benami properties.
- The facility allows for the filing of complaints by persons who are existing PAN/Aadhaar holders as well as for persons having no PAN /Aadhaar.
- After an OTP based validation process (mobile and/or email), the complainant can file complaints in respect of violations of the Income-tax Act, 1961, Black Money (Undisclosed Foreign Assets and IncomE) Imposition of Tax Act, 1961 and Prevention of Benami Transactions Act (as amendeD) in three separate forms designed for the purpose.
- This e-portal is yet another initiative of the Income Tax Department to bring about enhanced ease of interaction with the Department while strengthening its resolve towards e-governance.
Abbreviation: Central Board of Direct Taxes
Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
Chairman: Pramod Chandra Mody
CBDT – e-portal for filing complaints against tax evasion, benami properties.
10. Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has announced financial assistance of how much amount for the welfare of kendu leaf pluckers and other workers associated with it?
A) Rs 82.37 crore
B) Rs 92.37 crore
C) Rs 32.37 crore
D) Rs 42.37 crore
E) Rs 52.37 crore
Answer: B) Rs 92.37 crore
- Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik has announced financial assistance of Rs 92.37 crore for the welfare of kendu leaf pluckers and other workers associated with it.
- Of the total amount, Rs 59.78 crore will be disbursed as bonus.
- Patnaik also announced that the exgratia in case of the death or permanent disability of a kendu leaf worker would be increased to Rs 2 Lakh from Rs 1 Lakh.
- Kendu leaves are mainly used to roll beedis.
Chief Minister – Naveen Patnaik
Governor – Ganeshi Lal
Odisha – Rs 92.37 crore financial assistance for kendu workers.
11. Which state announced new tourism policy for 2020-25 with special focus on attracting new investments in the state’s “high priority tourism centres” by offering lucrative incentives to entrepreneurs?
B) Uttar Pradesh
D) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: A) Gujarat
- The Gujarat government announced its new tourism policy for 2020-25 with special focus on attracting new investments in the state’s “high priority tourism centres” by offering lucrative incentives to entrepreneurs.
- Some of these high priority centres are Kutch, Devbhumi-Dwarka, Narmada, Gir-Somnath, Porbandar, Junagadh and Dang districts.
- Some specific talukas of other districts, such as Dhari in Amreli and Dabhoi in Vadodara, are also included in the list of high priority tourism centres.
- Under the policy, the government will give subsidy of 20 per cent on capital investment for setting up a hotel in the designated high priority centres.
- While the minimum investment required is Rs 1 crore, there is no cap on maximum investment, which excludes the cost of land, as per the policy document.
- For setting up theme parks or amusement parks in these priority centres, the subsidy will be 15 per cent for an investment in the range of Rs 50 crore to Rs 500 crore.
- To attract large investments in this avenue, the state government will provide land on lease, in addition to the 15 per cent subsidy, for projects of more than Rs 500 crore proposed investment, according to the policy.
- Other tourism projects which would be eligible for 15 per cent subsidy on investment are – convention centres with a seating capacity of over 2,500 people, NABH-accredited wellness centres, tourism hospitality and training centres, tents, cottages and container accommodation.
- To encourage caravan rental services, the state government has announced to give 15 per cent subsidy on investment up to Rs 10 lakh, for starting such projects in high priority centres.
- To encourage new investment in the adventure tourism sectors, entrepreneurs will be offered 15 per cent subsidy, with the limit of Rs 15 lakh, for buying various adventure sport equipment, said the policy document.
- Under the new policy, foreign tourists will be offered a 5 per cent discount if they stay at a state government registered hotel.
- Rupani said to guide foreign tourists arriving in Gujarat, the state tourism department will set up a dedicated tourism desk at the Ahmedabad international airport.
- To promote rural tourism, fair organisers will get an assistance of Rs 5 lakh per year to organise “all-inclusive annual fairs and festivals showcasing indigenous culture, dance, handlooms and handicrafts.
CM: Vijay Rupani
Governor: Acharya Dev Vrat
Gujarat – new tourism policy, focus on ‘high priority’ areas.
12. Prime Minister Narendra Modi addresses the valedictory function of the National Youth Parliament Festival. This year in which edition?
Answer: B) 2nd
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi address the valedictory function of the second National Youth Parliament Festival.
- Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla and Union Education Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, among others, will also be present on the occasion.
- The objective of the National Youth Parliament Festival (NYPF) is to hear the voice of youth between 18 and 25 years of age, who are allowed to vote and will join various careers in coming years, including public services.
- Twenty-nine national winners will get an opportunity to speak before the national jury comprising of Rajya Sabha MP Roopa Ganguly, Lok Sabha MP Parvesh Sahib Singh, and journalist Prafulla Ketkar.
- Taking inspiration from the idea, the first NYPF was organised from January 12 to February 27, 2019, with the theme “Be the Voice of New India and Find solutions and Contribute to Policy”.
National Youth Festival:
- National Youth Festival, which is being celebrated every year, will be held from January 12 to 16.
- Due to COVID-19, the 24th National Youth Festival is being held in virtual mode. ‘YUVAAH – Utsah Naye Bharat Ka’ is the theme of this year’s festival, which suggests, the youth bring alive the celebration of New India.
Narendra Modi – Address 2nd National Youth Parliament Festival.
13. Which state/UT Cabinet approves over Rs 64 cr as cash subsidy to students for textbooks?
A) Jammu & Kashmir
Answer: B) Delhi
The Delhi Cabinet approved over Rs 64 crore for disbursement of cash subsidy to about 11 lakh students of Delhi Government and aided schools for their textbooks and writing material.
Capital: New Delhi
CM: Arvind Kejriwal
Governor: Anil Baijal
Delhi – Rs 64 cr as cash subsidy to students for textbooks.
14. Nitin Gadkari launched innovative new paint developed by Khadi and Village Industries Commission. What is the name of that paint?
A) “Khadi Swachh Paint”
B) “Khadi Prakritik Paint”
C) “Khadi Bharat Paint”
D) “Khadi Varuna Paint”
E) “Khadi Ghadi Paint”
Answer: B) “Khadi Prakritik Paint”
- Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari will be launching an innovative new paint developed by Khadi and Village Industries Commission.
- The eco-friendly, non-toxic paint, called “Khadi Prakritik Paint” is a first-of-its-kind product, with anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties.
- Based on cow dung as its main ingredient, the paint is cost-effective and odorless, and has been certified by Bureau of Indian Standards.
- Khadi Prakritik Paint is available in two forms – distemper paint and plastic emulsion paint. Production of Khadi Prakritik Paint is aligned with Prime Minister’s vision of increasing farmers’ income.
Road Transport and Highways and Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises:
Ministry: Nitin Gadkari
Constituency: Nagpur. Maharashtra
Abbreviation: The Khadi and Village Industries Commission
Act: ‘Khadi and Village Industries Commission Act of 1956
Founded Year: 1956
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chairman: Vinai Kumar Saxena
Nitin Gadkari – Launch eco-friendly, non-toxic paint developed by KVIC.
15. Which state approved a one-time settlement scheme for traders to clear their pending arrears?
D) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: B) Punjab
- The Punjab cabinet approved a one-time settlement scheme for traders to clear their pending arrears.
- The scheme will be implemented across the state from February 1 and the state exchequer would bear a financial burden of Rs 121.06 crore.
- Various trade associations had urged the state government to introduce a one-time scheme (OTS) for the clearance and settlement of outstanding arrears under the Punjab Value Added tax Act, 2005 and Central Sales tax Act, 1956.
CM: Captain Amarinder Singh
Governor: V P Singh Badnore
Punjab cabinet – Approve one-time settlement scheme for traders.
16. Indian Navy will coordinate which edition of largest coastal defence exercise Sea Vigil-21?
Answer: A) 2
- Indian Navy will coordinate second edition of largest coastal defence exercise Sea Vigil-21.
- The two-day biennial pan-India coastal defence exercise, will be undertaken along the entire 7,516-kilometre-long coastline.
- The exercise will also include Exclusive Economic Zone of the country and will involve all the 13 coastal States and Union Territories along with other maritime stakeholders.
- It will also include the fishing and coastal communities. The entire coastal security set up was reorganised after the 26/11 Terror attack at Mumbai which was launched via the sea route.
- The exercise is a build up towards the major Theatre-level exercise TROPEX [Theatre-level Readiness Operational Exercise] which Indian Navy conducts every two years.
- SEA VIGIL and TROPEX together will cover the entire spectrum of maritime security challenges, including transition from peace to conflict. Assets of the Indian Navy, Coast Guard, Customs and other maritime agencies will participate in SEA VIGIL.
- The exercise is also being facilitated by the Ministries of Defence, Home Affairs, Shipping, Petroleum and Natural Gas, Fisheries, Customs, State Governments and other agencies of Centre and State.
Indian Navy – Coordinate largest coastal defence exercise Sea Vigil-2.
17. The first ever Ice climbing festival was celebrated in Nubra valley. Nubra Valley is situated in which state/UT?
A) Jammu & Kashmir
Answer: E) Ladakh
- In Leh, the first ever Ice climbing festival was celebrated in Nubra valley.
- The Seven Day event was organized by Nubra Adventure Club. Ice climbing is a popular winter sport abroad.
- Taking the cue, local adventure sports lovers have explored several ice climbing spots in Nubra valley to attract the adventure tourists to the region.
- 18 participants across Nubra valley including 4 women, have taken part in Ice climbing.
Lt Governor: Radha Krishna Mathur
Nubra valley – First ever Ice climbing festival.
18. Which state has become the 4th state in the country to successfully undertake Urban Local Bodies, ULB reforms stipulated by the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance?
D) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: A) Manipur
- Manipur has become the 4th state in the country to successfully undertake Urban Local Bodies, ULB reforms stipulated by the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance.
- The state has become eligible to mobilise additional financial resources of 75 crore rupees through Open Market Borrowings.
- Manipur has now joined the three other States Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh and Telangana, who have completed this reform.
- On completion of Urban Local Bodies reform, these four states have been granted additional borrowing permission of seven thousand four hundred 81 crore rupees.
- So far, 10 States have implemented the One Nation, One Ration Card System, seven states have done ease of doing business reforms, and four states have done local body reforms.
- Total additional borrowing permission issued so far to the states who have done the reforms stands at 54 thousand two hundred 65 crore rupees.
CM: N. Biren Singh
Governor: Najma Heptulla
Manipur – 4th state to successfully undertake ULB reforms.