Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
February 23 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. Upul Tharanga announced his retirement from international cricket. He was related to which country?
D) Sri Lanka
Answer: D) Sri Lanka
- Upul Tharanga, the Sri Lanka batsman announced his retirement from international cricket after a near 15-year career at the highest level.
- Tharanga, 36, last played for Sri Lanka in an ODI on their 2019 tour of South Africa, in Cape Town.
- Since he made his international debut in an ODI against West Indies in Dambulla in 2005, Tharanga has played 292 matches across formats, scoring 9112 international runs, including 18 centuries.
- He played 31 Tests scoring 1754 runs, and totalled 407 runs in 26 T20Is.
- However, it’s in ODIs that he was in his element – he played 235 ODIs, scoring 6951 runs and 15 centuries, including a career-high of 174* against India in Kingston in 2013.
- Tharanga also had a brief stint as captain of Sri Lanka in 2017, and finishes his career as Sri Lanka fifth-highest centurion in ODI history, behind Sanath Jayasuriya, Kumar Sangakkara, Tillakaratne Dilshan and Mahela Jayawardene.
Capital: Sri Jayewardenepura Kotte (legislative), Colombo (executive and judicial)
Sri Lanka’s Upul Tharanga – Retirement from int’l cricket.
2. Rahul Khullar passed away. He was former Chief of which organisation?
Answer: C) TRAI
- Former chairman of the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) Rahul Khullar passed away.
- Khullar, a 1975-batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer, was appointed as
TRAI chief in May 2012.
- He served at TRAI for three years. Before being appointed as TRAI chief, he was a secretary of the Ministry of Commerce and Trade.
Rahul Khullar – Former TRAI chief.
3. Ahmed Zaki Yamani passed away. He was long-serving oil minister in which country?
C) Saudi Arabia
Answer: C) Saudi Arabia
- Ahmed Zaki Yamani, a long-serving oil minister in Saudi Arabia who led the kingdom through the 1973 oil crisis, the nationalization its state energy company and later found himself kidnapped by the assassin Carlos the Jackal, died.
- Yamani became oil minister in 1962 and would lead the ministry until 1986.
- Yamani was the first Saudi representative on OPEC’s board of governors in 1961.
Currency: Saudi riyal
Ahmed Zaki Yamani – Long-serving Saudi Arabia oil minister.
BANKING AND FINANCE
4. Indian government, Government of Nagaland and the World Bank signed a how much amount project to enhance the governance of schools across Nagaland as well as to improve teaching practices and learning environments in select schools?
A) $28 million
B) $38 million
C) $48 million
D) $58 million
E) $68 million
Answer: E) $68 million
- Indian government, Government of Nagaland and the World Bank signed a $68 million project to enhance the governance of schools across Nagaland as well as to improve teaching practices and learning environments in select schools.
- The “Nagaland: Enhancing Classroom Teaching and Resources Project” will improve classroom instruction; create opportunities for the professional development of teachers; and build technology systems to provide students and teachers with more access to blended and online learning as well as allow better monitoring of policies and programs.
Govt. and AIIB sign loan agreement for USD 304 million Assam Intra-State Transmission System Enhancement Project:
- Union Government and the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) signed a loan agreement for a 304-million-dollar Assam Intra-State Transmission System Enhancement Project to improve reliability, capacity and security of the power transmission network in the State of Assam.
- The project aims to strengthen Assam’s electricity transmission system by constructing 10 transmission substations and laying transmission lines, upgrading 15 existing substations and providing technical assistance to support project implementation.
- The programme would strengthen the existing intrastate transmission network of Assam by augmenting it with newer networks to achieve affordable, secure, efficient and reliable round the clock power.
- This would, in turn, bring Assam closer to ensuring long-term sustainability of its electricity supply.
Members: 189 countries (IBRD), 173 countries (IDA)
Hq: Washington D.C, US
Head: David Malpass
CM: Neiphiu Rio
Governor: R N Ravi
India + World Bank – $68 mn project for improving education in Nagaland.
5. Stellapps has signed an settlement with which payments Bank to digitize the dairy milk procurement worth chain and promote banking amenities at milk assortment centres?
A) Jio Payments Bank
B) Fino Payments Bank
C) Airtel Payments Bank
D) Patym Payments Bank
E) India Post Payments Bank
Answer: E) India Post Payments Bank
- Leading dairy-tech startup Stellapps introduced that it has signed an settlement with India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) to digitize the dairy milk procurement worth chain and promote banking amenities at milk assortment centres.
- As a part of the memorandum of understanding, a pilot mission has been launched in
4 villages with 200 farmers at a greenfield dairy in Dharmapuri district of
- Through the tie-up with IPPB, Stellapps is aiming to convey dairy farmers within the monetary mainstream throughout villages in Tamil Nadu, Odisha, Bihar and Rajasthan within the coming months.
India Post Payments Bank:
Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
CEO: J Venkatramu
Stellapps + IPPB – Digitise milk procurement.
6. Which mutual fund has launched an advanced WhatsApp chat service to improve investor engagement and communication?
A) Reliance Mutual Fund
B) Kotak Mahindra Mutual Fund
C) SBI Mutual Fund
D) Aditya Birla Sun Life Mutual Fund
E) UTI Mutual Fund
Answer: E) UTI Mutual Fund
- UTI Mutual Fund has launched an advanced WhatsApp chat service
(+91-7208081230) to improve investor engagement and communication.
- This exclusive service will be available to both UTI Mf’s existing and prospective investors.
- The WhatsApp chat service is aimed to boost investor interface via text-based chats and updates, and infographics.
- It is also aimed at opt-in users who show an interest in the company’s products and seek additional information.
UTI Mutual Fund:
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
CEO: Imtaiyazur Rahman
UTI Mutual Fund – WhatsApp chat service for investors
7. Which Insurance company launched new-age and comprehensive protection solution that offers the option to cover the life up to 99 years?
A) Cholamandalam MS General Insurance
B) Bajaj Allianz General Insurance.
C) ICICI Lombard General Insurance
D) Bharti AXA Life Insurance
E) Care Health Insurance
Answer: D) Bharti AXA Life Insurance
- Leading private life insurer Bharti AXA Life Insurance announced its new-age and comprehensive protection solution, Bharti AXA Life Flexi Term Pro, that offers the option to cover the life up to 99 years and provides a customized shield with multiple flexibilities to financially secure the insured and his/her family.
- Bharti AXA Life Flexi Term Pro is a non-linked, individual, non-participating pure protection plan that also offers One Year Term and tele-medical underwriting option to individuals as a key differentiator in the domestic insurance market.
- Bharti AXA Life Flexi Term Pro is available in two options – Without Return of Premium and With Return of Premium.
- It gives 100 per cent premium back to the policyholders at the end of maturity only in the return of premium option.
- In case the life insured survives and all due premiums have been paid till the date of maturity, the sum assured at maturity (total premiums paid till maturity) without GST will be payable
Bharti AXA Life Insurance:
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD & CEO: Parag Raja
Bharti AXA Life Insurance – Smart protection solution Flexi Term Pro
up to 99 years.
8. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was appointed the seventh Director-General of the World Trade Organization. She was related to which Country?
Answer: A) Nigeria
- Nigeria’s Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala was appointed the seventh Director-General of the World Trade Organizatio, making her the first woman and the first African to head the multilateral trade body from March 1, 2021 to August 31, 2025.
World Trade Organization:
Headquarters: Geneva, Switzerland
Founded: 1 January 1995
Membership: 164 member states
Head: Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala
Nigeria’s Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala – WTO Director-General.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
9. Which IIT has developed a low-cost device to produce electrolysed water that could be used as an alternative to alcohol-based disinfectant?
A) IIT Kanpur
B) IIT Ropar
C) IIT Kharagpur
D) IIT Varanasi
E) IIT Mandi
Answer: B) IIT Ropar
- The IIT Ropar said it has developed a low-cost device to produce electrolysed water that could be used as an alternative to alcohol-based disinfectant.
- A team of Dr. Vishwajeet Mehandia, assistant professor, Dr.S. Manigandan of the Department of Chemical Engineering, and Prof. C.R. Suri, head, central research facility, has developed the device.
- An official statement said the electrolysed water could be used to combat COVID-19.
IIT Ropar – Alternative to alcohol-based disinfectant.
10. India signed a landmark Comprehensive Economic Cooperation and Partnership Agreement which country making the strategically-located country a launch-pad for business expansion into the huge African continent?
Answer: E) Mauritius
- India signed a landmark Comprehensive Economic Cooperation and Partnership Agreement (CECPA) with Mauritius, the first if its kind with an African nation, making the strategically-located country a launch-pad for business expansion into the huge African continent.
- The CECPA will encourage Indian entrepreneurs to invest both in Mauritius and across the region, thus helping the ambition of the country to become a strategic regional economic hub and a centre of excellence, Jugnauth said in his remarks.
- The CECPA provides preferential access to Mauritius for bulk of the trade and also for many aspirational items for the future into the Indian market of over a billion people.
- These include frozen fish, speciality sugar, biscuits, fresh fruits, juices, mineral water, soaps, bags, medical and surgical equipment, and apparel.
Capital: Port Louis
Currency: Mauritian rupee
Prime minister: Pravind Jugnauth
India + Mauritius – Landmark economic cooperation agreement.
11. Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approved the capital acquisition proposals worth how much amount?
A) Rs 23,000 crore
B) Rs 33,000 crore
C) Rs 43,000 crore
D) Rs 53,000 crore
E) Rs 13,000 crore
Answer: E) Rs 13,000 crore
- Defence Acquisition Council (DAC) approved the capital acquisition proposals worth
Rs 13,000 crore.
- The acquisitions include various weapons, platforms and equipment systems for the armed forces.
- Three Acceptance of Necessities (AoNs) for an overall cost of Rs 13,700 crore were accorded. All these AoNs are in the highest priority category of Defence Acquisition.
DAC – Acquisition proposals worth RS 13,700 cr for Armed Forces.
12. DRDO conducted two successful launches of VL-SRSAM. It is which type of Missile?
A) Air to Air Missile
B) Medium to Air Missile
C) Air to Surface Missile
D) Surface to Air Missile
E) Surface to Surface Missile
Answer: D) Surface to Air Missile
- The Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) conducted two successful launches of the Vertical Launch Short Range Surface to Air Missile (VL-SRSAM).
- The launches were carried out Monday from a static vertical launcher from Integrated Test Range (ITR), Chandipur off the coast of Odisha.
- Indigenously designed and developed by DRDO for the Indian Navy, VL-SRSAM is meant for neutralising various aerial threats at close ranges including sea-skimming targets.
Abbreviation: Defence Research and Development Organisation
Headquarters : New Delhi, Delhi
Chairman : G. Satheesh Reddy
DRDO – Two successful launches of of Vertical Launch Short Range Surface to Air Missile.
13. Cochin Shipyard has emerged lowest bidder for how much amount contract to build missile vessels for Indian Navy?
A) Rs 12,000 crore
B) Rs 13,000 crore
C) Rs 14,000 crore
D) Rs 15,000 crore
E) Rs 10,000 crore
Answer: E) Rs 10,000 crore
- Cochin Shipyard said it has emerged as the lowest bidder for Rs 10,000-crore contract by the Indian Navy, to build Next Generation Missile Vessels.
- The state-owned company has emerged as a forerunner in the Indian shipbuilding and ship repair industry that can build and repair the largest vessels in India.
- Incorporated in 1972, CSL can build ships up to 1,10,000 dead weight tonnage (DWT) and repair ships up to 1,25,000 DWT.
- The yard has delivered two of India’s largest double hull Aframax tankers each of 95,000 DWT.
Cochin Shipyard Ltd:
Founded: 29 March 1972
Headquarters: Kochi, Kerala
Chairman & MD : Madhu S. Nair
Cochin Shipyard – Lowest bidder for Rs 10,000 crore contract to build missile vessels for Indian Navy.
14. The Kushinagar Airport got Nod from DGCA to become the third licensed international airport of which state?
A) Andhra Pradesh
B) Arunachal Pradesh
C) Tamil Nadu
E) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: E) Uttar Pradesh
- The Kushinagar Airport got the necessary clearances from DGCA to become the third licensed international airport of Uttar Pradesh.
- At present, two international airports Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport at Lucknow and Lal Bahadur Shastri International Airport at Varanasi are operational in the state.
CM: Yogi Adityanath
Governor: Anandiben Patel
Kushinagar – Nod from DGCA, becomes third international airport in
15. Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma laid the foundation for the construction of a bridge over river Damring at Resubelpara with length of ______?
A) 1399.469 meters
B) 1299.469 meters
C) 1499.469 meters
D) 1599.469 meters
E) 1799.469 meters
Answer: E) 1799.469 meters
- Meghalaya Chief Minister Conrad K Sangma laid the foundation for the construction of a bridge over river Damring at Resubelpara, North Garo Hills District.
- With a total length of 1799.469 meters (bridge and approach road included) at a cost of Rs 23.59 crore, funded under RIDF of the World Bank, the bridge will connect two crucial roads – Songsak-Mendipathar and the Rongrong-Resudekachang which are separated by the river.
- The Chief minister also laid the foundation for the new Resubelpara Government Higher Secondary School building.
- Sangma also laid foundation for a mini stadium at Resubelpara.
CM: Conrad Sangma
Governor: Satya Pal Malik
Meghalaya CM – Lay foundation for bridge over Damring River.
16. The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi addressed which edition Convocation of IIT Kharagpur through a video conference?
Answer: E) 66th
- The Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi addressed the 66th Convocation of
IIT Kharagpur through a video conference.
- Union Education Minister Shri Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ and Union Minister of State for Education Shri Sanjay Dhotre were present on the occasion.
Narendra Modi – 66th Convocation of IIT Kharagpur.