Daily Current Affairs March 16
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs March 16. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
March 16 | Daily Current Affairs 2022
Important Days – Daily Current Affairs March 16
1. National Vaccination Day 2022:
- Every year, March 16 is observed as National Vaccination Day in India to increase the importance of vaccines in the human health system.
- The Covid-19 has made us understand the importance of vaccines and their role in benefitting our lives.
- This day creates awareness regarding how effective vaccination is to prevent deadly diseases.
- This day celebrates India’s victory over polio disease along with an improvement in the health and life expectancy of an individual.
- The first dose of oral polio vaccine got started in the year 1995 in India.
- The national immunization day or vaccination day observes the pulse polio programme of the government with the goal of complete eradication of polio from the country.
- The last case of polio was reported from Bengal in 2011 and later various vaccination drives were initiated against diseases like tetanus, mumps, and TB.
- The day plays a significant role as it is important to highlight the need to get vaccinated.
Sports – Daily Current Affairs March 16
2. China replaces North Korea in FIFA women’s U-17 World Cup in India:
- China will feature in the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup to be held in India from October 11 to 30 as it was named as replacement of North Korean team which has pulled out of the age-group showpiece.
- The Asian Football Confederation’s Women’s Football Committee had on October 14 last year decided that in the case of withdrawals from the FIFA competitions, the next highest ranked team from the respective qualification events would represent Asia accordingly.
- The AFC notes the inability of the DPR Korea Football Association’s national age-group teams to compete in the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup India 2022 and FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup Costa Rica 2022 respectively.
- China PR, who finished third in the AFC U-16 Women’s Championship Thailand 2019, will join Japan and host India as the AFC’s three representatives at the FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup India 2022 scheduled to take place from October 11 to 30.
- Australia, who finished fourth in AFC U-19 Women’s Championship in 2019, will replace North Korea and join Japan and South Korea as Asia’s three representatives at the 2022 FIFA U-20 Women’s World Cup in Costa Rica, which will be held from August 10 to 28.
3. India to host 44th World Chess Olympiad 2022 at Chennai:
- All India Chess Federation (FAIC) has announced that India will be hosting the upcoming 44th World Chess Olympiad 2022 at Chennai.
- The 44th Chess Olympiad 2022 will be the second major world event to be held in the country after the World Championship match in 2013 between Viswanathan Anand and Magnus Carlsen in Chennai.
- India had bid to host the tournament after the International Chess Federation (FIDE) took the Chess Olympiad and all other official competitions away from Russia because of their military operations on Ukraine.
- The Chess Olympiad 2022 was supposed to take place from July 26 to August 8.
Obituary – Daily Current Affairs March 16
4. Former Maha minister Shankarrao Kolhe dies:
- Former Maharashtra minister Shankarrao Kolhe died in Nashik due to old age-related ailments.
- He was 93.
- Kolhe served as the minister for agriculture, co-operative, revenue, and transport between 1989 and 1993.
- He was the founder of a cooperative sugar factory and the Sanjivani Group.
- He was felicitated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the Vasantdada Sugar Institute in 2017 for his contribution to the cooperative sector.
5. WWE legend Scott Hall aka ‘Razor Ramon’ passes away aged 63:
- WWE icon Scott Hall was on life support after suffering three heart attacks recently, passed away.
- Hall was inducted to WWE’s renowned Hall of Fame twice and was scheduled to appear in Dallas ahead of the build-up to the much-awaited ‘Wrestlemania 38’.
- Hall was one of the founding members of WCW’s renowned New World Order (NOW) alongside fellow icons Hulk Hogan and Kevin Nash.
- A two-time world champion, the veteran retired from professional wrestling in 2010 and appeared in multiple WWE shows afterwards.
- Hall was inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2014 as a singles wrestler.
Banking and Finance – Daily Current Affairs March 16
6. SBI, Hyderabad circle contributes over Rs 17 lakh for Armed Forces Flag Day Fund:
- The staff members of State Bank of India Hyderabad Circle contributed Rs 17, 12,200 toward Armed Forces Flag Day Fund.
- It’s Chief General Manager Amit Jhingran and other officers handed over the Cheque for the same to Governor Dr Tamilisai Soundararajan as the SBI Staff members contribution for the Armed Forces Flag Day Fund at Raj Bhavan.
7. Retail inflation at 6.07% in February, still above RBI limit: Official data:
- India’s retail inflation stood at 6.07% in February as compared to 6.01% the previous month, while wholesale inflation rose to 13.11% against 12.96% in January.
- Retail-level prices which impact households rose marginally over the previous month, they have crossed the Reserve Bank’s so-called tolerance limit.
- The RBI’s tolerance limit for the consumer inflation rate stands between 4-6%.
- In February, urban India saw retail inflation fall slightly to 5.75% from 5.91% in January, while rural Indians faced a higher price rise of 6.38% against 6.12% in January.
- Overall retail inflation now stands at an eight-month high, while retail combined food prices in February rose 5.87% from a year ago.
- Retail price data is collected from selected 1,114 urban markets and 1,181 villages covering all states to gauge inflation, which influences people’s income and also economic growth.
- Wholesale inflation increased on the back of a sharp increase in the cost of manufactured products.
Business and Economy – Daily Current Affairs March 16
8. Adani Group signs deal for two power projects in Sri Lanka:
- Adani Group has signed a deal for two large power projects in Sri Lanka’s Northern Province, six months after it secured a strategic port terminal project in Colombo.
- The agreement has not been officially announced by Sri Lanka, Adani Group or Indian authorities to jointly execute renewable power projects in Mannar, on the northwest coast of Sri Lanka, and Pooneryn, located south of the Jaffna Peninsula.
- The Ceylon Electricity Board (CEB) also signed a (MoU) with Adani Green Energy Limited.
- The two renewable energy projects involving the Adani Group focus on generating a combined capacity of 500 MW at $500 million.
- Both the projects are in the Northern Province, where New Delhi objected to a Chinese energy project.
- The agreement was signed by National Thermal Power Corpora ion (NTPC) and CEB agreed to set up a 100 MW solar power project in Sampur, in east Trincomalee district.
- The team visited the northern Mannar district to explore the potential for wind power projects.
- India’s involvement in Sri Lanka’s renewable energy projects comes alongside the administration of Rajapaksa on cleaner energy.
- Sri Lanka has a daily peak demand of over 2000 MW and is currently experiencing a severe shortage of fuel and power, causing long power cuts across the country.
Acquisitions and Mergers – Daily Current Affairs March 16
9. CCI approves acquisition of Micro Life Sciences Private by South Elm Investments:
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approves acquisition of Micro Life Sciences Private Limited by South Elm Investments B.V(SEI).
- SEI is an investment holding company incorporated under the laws of Netherlands.
- The shareholders of SEI are certain private equity funds managed by Warburg Pincus LLC.
- Micro Life is a company incorporated in India, which is primarily engaged in the following business activities in India along with subsidiaries: manufacture and sale of,
- medical devices in various categories such as stents, Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasty catheters, heart valves, orthopedic implants, and endo-surgery products (such as sutures, staplers, meshes and intrauterine devices)
- in-vitro diagnostics analyzers and reagents
- over the counter (OTC) products like products COVID self-test kits and pregnancy test kits, in India.
Books and Authors – Daily Current Affairs March 16
10. Sahitya Akademi publishes a book-length poem ‘Monsoon’ by Indian poet-diplomat Abhay K
- Sahitya Akademi, India’s National Academy of Letters has published a book-length poem ‘Monsoon’ by Indian poet diplomat Abhay K on the occasion of its 68th anniversary.
Sahitya Akademi was established in 1954.
- The first book published by the Academy was Bhagwan Buddha by D.D. Koshambi in 1956.
- It was a translation from Marathi into Hindi.
- Monsoon is a poem of 150 stanzas of 4 lines each that commences its journey in Madagascar and follows the path of the monsoon invoking the rich flora and fauna, languages, cuisine, music, monuments, landscapes, traditions, myths and legends of the places through which monsoon travels and acts as a messenger to carry the poet’s message from Madagascar to his beloved in Srinagar in the Himalayas.
Appointments – Daily Current Affairs March 16
11. Bhagwant Mann sworn in as Punjab chief minister:
- The 48 year old AAP leader Bhagwant Mann was sworn in as the Punjab chief minister.
- Punjab Governor Banwarilal Purohit administered the oath of office and secrecy to Mann in the swearing-in ceremony that took place at Khatkar Kalan, the ancestral village of legendary freedom fighter Bhagat Singh in Punjab’s Shaheed Bhagat Singh (SBS) Nagar district.
- The AAP romped home winning 92 seats in the 117-member Punjab Assembly, decimating the Congress and the SAD-BSP combine.
Awards – Daily Current Affairs March 16
12. I&B Minister Anurag Thakur presents Six Sigma Healthcare Excellence Awards 2022:
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Anurag Singh Thakur has stated that Government has stressed on creating medical infrastructure in the last seven years which has resulted in creation of medical colleges in the country.
- Thakur Presenting Six Sigma Healthcare Excellence Awards 2022 in New Delhi.
From 2014 to 2022, there has been a 54 per cent increase in medical colleges.
- In 2014, there were 387 medical colleges and now the number has reached 596.
39 medical colleges have been built in aspirational districts.
- There has been an increase of 80 per cent in the Under Graduate and Post Graduate Seats in Medical Colleges.
Science and Technology – Daily Current Affairs March 16
13. IIT Madras incubation cell, RBI Innovation Hub join hands to nurture financial innovation:
- India’s leading deep-tech startup hub spearheaded by IIT Madras Incubation Cell and RBI Innovation Hub (RBIH), a wholly owned subsidiary of Reserve Bank of India, have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to work together in developing the ecosystem necessary to support and scale fintech startups in India.
- Through this strategic collaboration, the two organizations will jointly provide incubation support and nurture early stage startups with innovative and disruptive solutions and accelerate their scale-up journey.
- Select startups incubated at IITM Incubation Cell will be considered from time to time by RBIH for co-incubation and thereby receive strategic & operational guidance, training and mentoring sessions by RBIH leadership and domain experts, market access and connect to a larger ecosystem of startups, vendors, investors, and other key resources.
- The aim is to empower startups to scale with agility and deploy technological innovations that transform India’s Fintech landscape.
- The collaboration also ties into one of IITM Incubation Cells’ ambitious goals, driven by IIT Madras Research Park, to propagate the vision of financial inclusion in achieving sustainable and inclusive socio-economic growth for India.
International Affairs – Daily Current Affairs March 16
14. India sends fourth consignment of 2,000 MTs of wheat to Afghanistan:
- The fourth consignment of 2,000 metric tonnes of wheat is being dispatched for Afghanistan via the Attari-Wagah border.
- A total of 8,000 MTs has been sent as on date to Afghanistan.
- @WFP_Afghanistanis partnering with us for the internal distribution of wheat within Afghanistan.
- India sent the third consignment of 2,000 metric tonnes of wheat to Afghanistan in 40 trucks via the Attari-Wagah border.
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs March 16
15. Consumer Affairs starts Consumer Empowerment Week to mark 75 years:
- The Department of Consumer Affairs started the “Consumer Empowerment Week” on 14th March, 2022 to celebrate and commemorate 75 years of progressive India and the glorious history of its people, culture and achievements as a part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav.
- Shri Tushar Kanti Bandyopadhyay, Head Master, Onda High School, Bankura, West Bengal, addressing villagers about consumer rights, MRP, date of manufacturing, BIS, Hallmark etc
- In a first of its kind initiative, field units of organizations under the Department Bureau of Indian Standards, Indian Institute of Legal Metrology (IILM) Ranchi, National Cooperative Consumers’ Federation of India Limited (NCCF), National Test House (NTH) and Regional Reference Standards Laboratories (RRSLs) organized consumer awareness and rural outreach programmes in more than 85 villages in 23 states and union territories of the country.
- The outreach programmes created awareness about features of Consumer Protection Act 2019, Indian Standard marks, Hallmarked jewellery, CRS mark, details to be seen on pre-packaged commodities, use of proper weights and measures and informed the consumers on how to lodge a consumer complaint on the National Consumer helpline number 14404 or 1800-11-4000.
16. BRO signs MoU with GRSE for launching of double lane modular bridges of IRC Load Class 70:
- Border Roads Organisation (BRO) and Garden Reach Shipbuilders & Engineers (GRSE) Ltd signed a Memorandum of Understanding for fabrication, supply, erection and launching of 27 carriageway double lane galvanised modular bridges of 7.5 meters with Indian Road Congress (IRC) Load Class 70.
- The two-year contract, worth around Rs 60 crore, was inked by Director General BR Lt Gen Rajeev Chaudhry and Officiating Chairman & Managing Director of GRSE Commodore P R Hari IN (Retd) in New Delhi.
- The BRO had successfully trial evaluated an “Indigenous 140 feet Double Lane Modular Bridge” of IRC Load Class 70 last year, supplied by GRSE Ltd.
- The first of its kind indigenous bridge was dedicated to the Nation by Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh.
- The bridge was constructed on important “Flag Hill-Dokala” Road in Sikkim at an altitude of 11,000 feet by Karamyogis of Project Swastik in Feb 2021.
- The MoU will be the time factor as these bridges could be launched within 45 days of handing over the site by the units.
- This will certainly be a game-changer in road infrastructure development in the country.
17. 36th International Geological Congress to be held in New Delhi:
- The 36th International Geological Congress (IGC), themed “Geosciences: The Basic Science for a Sustainable Future” will be held here during 20-22 March, 2022 on a virtual platform.
- The 36th IGC is a joint endeavour of the Ministry of Mines, Ministry of Earth Sciences, Indian National Science Academy and the Science Academies of Bangladesh, Nepal and Sri Lanka.
- It was inaugurated by Minister of Coal, Mines & Parliamentary Affairs Shri Pralhad Joshi and Minister of State (Independent Charge) Science & Technology, Earth Sciences, PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space Dr Jitendra Singh in the presence of Minister of State for Coal, Mines & Railways Shri Raosaheb Patil Danve and Minster of State for Communications Shri Devusinh Chauhan.
- Described as the Olympics of Geosciences, the IGCs are held quadrennial, under the aegis of the International Union of Geological Congress (IUGS), the Scientific Sponsor of the IGCs.
- They draw participants to the tune of around 5000 – 7000 delegates from all over the world.
- The event would provide a unique platform for knowledge and experience sharing in the field of geosciences and professional networking
- And information on latest technologies in mining, mineral exploration and management of water, mineral resource and environment.
- 36th IGC will be releasing three commemorative Postage Stamps on the occasion along with the First Day Cover.
18. Nitin Gadkari addresses 17th Annual Conference on ‘Road Development in India’:
- Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari has stated the cost of construction to be reduced without compromising on quality.
- Addressing the 17th Annual Conference on ‘Road Development in India’.
- Dependence on cement and steel can be reduced by using different waste material like waste rubber and plastic in road construction.
- Innovation, entrepreneurship, science, research, skill, green hydrogen is the fuel as knowledge and to convert that is future.
- It is also being planned to formulate a policy for making bitumen from biomass.
- The Minister also emphasized on Road safety and efforts are needed in this area from all the stakeholders.
19. 17th Mumbai International Film Festival to be held from May 29:
- 17th Mumbai International Film Festival, MIFF will be held from 29th May to 4th June, this year at the Films Division complex, Mumbai.
- Filmmakers can now submit their entry in Documentary, Short Fiction and Animation category of films up to 20th of this month.
- MIFF will be organized by the Films Division, Union Ministry of Information & Broadcasting and supported by Government of Maharashtra, attracts film makers from all over the world.
- The grand jury comprised of eminent film personalities from France, Japan, Singapore, Canada, Bulgaria and India.
- Films completed between 1st September -2019 and 31st December -2021, are eligible for entry in the MIFF.
- The winning films in different categories will receive handsome cash awards, Silver Conches, Trophies and Certificates.
- As India is celebrating “Azadi ka Amrit Mahotsav”, the current edition has instituted a special award for Best Short Film on the theme, India@75.
- The festival will also honour a veteran personality from the Indian non-feature film fraternity with the prestigious V Shantaram Lifetime Achievement Award carrying a cash component of 10 lakhs rupees, a trophy and citation.