Daily Current Affairs March 17
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs March 17. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
March 17 | Daily Current Affairs 2022
Important Days – Daily Current Affairs March 17
1. International Day to Combat Islamophobia:
- The U.N. General Assembly approved a resolution of March 15 as the International Day to Combat Islamophobia.
- The resolution, adopted by consensus by the 193-member world body and cosponsored by 55 mainly Muslim countries, emphasizes the right to freedom of religion and belief and recalls a 1981 resolution calling for “the elimination of all forms of intolerance and of discrimination based on religion or belief.”
- The resolution asks all countries, U.N. bodies, international and regional organizations, civil society, private sector and faith-based organizations “to organize and support various high-visibility events aimed at effectively increasing awareness of all levels about curbing Islamophobia,” and to observe the new International Day to Combat Islamophobia.
Sports – Daily Current Affairs March 17
2. All England Badminton C’ship: India registers first win with Treesa Jolly-Gayatri Gopichand:
- All England Badminton Championship has begun in Birmingham.
- In Women’s Doubles, pair of Treesa Jolly and Gayatri Gopichand have entered the second round. In the first round, Indian pair defeated Thailand’s pair 17-21, 22-20, 21-14.
- In Men’s Doubles, Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty began their campaign on a winning note. Indian pair beat Scotland 21-17, 21-19.
- In Men’s Singles first round, H.S. Prannoy and Sameer Verma lost their matches in the first round. Sai Praneeth, Parupalli Kashyap, Sourabh Verma, Lakshya Sen and Kidambi Srikanth will also play their matches later tonight.
- In Women’s Singles, Saina Nehwal, P.V. Sindhu and Aakarshi Kashyap will begin their campaign in the first round.
Obituary – Daily Current Affairs March 17
3. Ms. Kumudben Joshi, Former AP Governor Passed Away:
- The former Governor of Andhra Pradesh, Kumudben Manishankar Joshi has died at the age of 88.
- Ms. Joshi served as the Governor of Andhra Pradesh from 26 November 1985 to 7 February 1990.
- She was the second female Governor of the state after Sharda Mukherjee.
- Joshi had been a member of the Rajya Sabha thrice.
- Kumudben Manishankar Joshi also became Deputy Minister of information and Broadcasting (October 1980 – January 1982) and Deputy Minister of Health and Family Welfare (January 1982 – December 1984).
Banking and Finance – Daily Current Affairs March 17
4. BPCL becomes the First Company to Offer Digital Payment to Non-Internet Users:
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) launches UPI 123PAY to enable cylinder bookings for non-internet users.
- Around 4 crore consumers of BharatGas in rural markets to benefit from this service.
- BPCL is the first company to enable voice-based payment for non-smart phone users.
- BPCL is a ‘Maharatna’ and a Fortune Global 500 Company has partnered with UltraCash Technologies Pvt. Ltd. to offer voice-based digital payment facility for BharatGas consumers for booking their LPG cylinders.
- Through this feature, the consumers who do not have smart phones or internet can book their cylinders and make the payment through ‘UPI 123PAY’.
- UltraCash is a mobile payment application developed by UltraCash Technologies Pvt. Ltd. and authorized by National Payment Corporation of India (NPCI).
- The collaboration with Ultra Cash enables BharatGas customers to call common number 080 4516 3554 from a non-internet phone and book BharatGas cylinder for themselves or for their friends in easy steps in a secured manner.
5. NPCI launches on-device wallet feature for UPI users for small transactions:
- The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) has come out with the ‘on-device’ wallet feature for Unified Payments Interface (UPI) users, which will be known as “UPI Lite”, for facilitating small ticket transactions.
- This is aimed at reducing stress on the banking system and making the transaction process even simpler.
- In phase 1, UPI Lite will process transactions in near offline mode i.e., debit offline and credit online, and at a later point, UPI Lite will process transactions in complete offline mode i.e., debit and credit both offline.
- Initially UPI Lite shall be launched as a pilot with multiple banks and app providers, and after a due comfort is achieved, the full-scale commercial launch with compliance timelines for on-boarding for the issuers and app providers shall be declared.
- A user of UPI App will have the option to enable UPI Lite i.e. ‘On-Device wallet’ on their UPI App.
- Once enabled, the user can allocate funds from their bank account to UPI Lite.
- Such funds shall reside with their bank in an escrow/pool/ designated account and such balance shall reside on-device on the common library (CL) of their UPI App.
- The upper limit of any transaction done through UPI Lite will be Rs 200 and total limit of UPI Lite e balance for an ‘on-device’ wallet would be Rs 2,000 at any point of time.
- Also, replenishment of funds in UPI Lite will only be allowed in online mode with additional factor authentication (AFA) or using UPI AutoPay which has been registered by the User in online mode with AFA.
- UPI Lite balance will be non-interest bearing.
- Also, transactions through UPI Lite will be done without AFA i.e., the users do not have to key in the UPI PIN.
- The UPI App is accessed by the User with app passcode/device authentication (biometric, pattern, etc.) before performing the UPI Lite transaction, unless the User has disabled the app authentication.
- UPI users can have multiple UPI Lite on-device balances depending on the number of UPI apps used by the user to access one designated bank account.
- And, they can enable, disable and top up the UPI Lite at any point in time and the fund transfer between the UPI Lite and User’s bank account will be processed in real-time.
6. One Moto India inks pact with Reliance General Insurance to provide motor insurance:
- Electric two-wheeler maker One Moto India has partnered with Reliance General Insurance to provide motor insurance to its customers.
- As the nation makes the responsible shift towards e-mobility for a better and greener future, we have an equally significant contribution to make in the process.
- Reliance General Insurance partnership with One Moto aimed at achieving those goals,
Acquisitions and Mergers – Daily Current Affairs March 17
7. Bharat Serums acquires 26 pc stake in solar power firm:
- Bharat Serums and Vaccines has acquired a 26 per cent stake in AMP Energy C&I One to support green energy requirements for its manufacturing facility at Ambernath in Maharashtra.
- Aimed at driving a comprehensive sustainability blueprint for the future, this investment will help BSV avoid carbon dioxide emissions by as much as 65,60 tonnes of carbon dioxide equivalent (tCO2e) annually over its project life of 25 years.
- The acquisition of the solar power firm is in line with the Mumbai-based company’s endeavour to emerge as a carbon-neutral company by 2050, in addition to achieving water neutrality, product stewardship and an integrated management system.
- It is helpful to achieving India’s commitment of 40 per cent of its installed electricity capacity from non-fossil energy sources by 2030.
Awards – Daily Current Affairs March 17
8. Grandmaster R Praggnanandhaa receives ‘Sankara’ Award:
- India’s teenage Grandmaster Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa received the ‘Sankara Award’ of this year held at Kalady.
- R Praggnanandhaa who defeated Chess World Champion Magnus Carlsen received the award as well as a cash reward of Rs 1 Lakh.
- This yearly award is jointly given by Adi Sankara trust, Institute of Engineering College and Sree Sarada Vidyalaya situated in Kalady.
- At the age of 16, Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa became the youngest chess player ever to beat Magnus Carlsen in his long reign as World Champion.
- In doing so he became the third Indian to beat Carlsen in tournament play after legend Viswanathan Anand and P Harikrishna.
9. Khattar receives Covid Commitment Award:
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar has been honoured with the Covid-19 Commitment Award by Asia One Magazine.
- He got this honour for his contribution to the revival of the state’s economy and for the collective efforts made for the welfare of the society despite the challenging pandemic times.
- The award was given by the team of Asia One Magazine at the Chief Minister’s residence.
- This award belongs to all those COVID-19 warriors of Haryana who, without thinking about their lives, day and night served the patients and made people aware of the Pandemic.
10. Miss World 2021:
- Poland’s Karolina Bielawska has been crowned as the winner of the Miss World 2021 title at the 70th edition of the pageant at San Juan, Puerto Rico.
- Toni-Ann Singh of Jamaica, who was titled as the Miss World 2019, crowned her successor at the finale.
- United States’s Shree Saini became the 1st runner-up, while Olivia Yace from Côte d’Ivoire was the 2nd runner-up.
- India’s Manasa Varanasi was included in the top 13 contestants’ list at the eleventh position but failed to make it to the top 6.
- Karolina Bielawska was works as a model and currently studying for a Master’s Degree in Management and expects to continue her studies with a PhD.
Science and Technology – Daily Current Affairs March 17
11. China successfully launches remote sensing satellite:
- China successfully sent a new remote sensing satellite of the Yaogan-34 series into space from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in northwest China.
- The Yaogan-34 02 satellite was carried by a Long March4C rocket and successfully entered its planned orbit.
12. Paras Aerospace launches PARAS.AI drone IT product enabling data processing requirements:
- Paras Aerospace a subsidiary of Paras Defence and Space Technologies Ltd launched the PARAS.AI (artificial intelligence) drone information technology product that would enable data processing requirements of powerline, solar, wind, mining sectors and pipeline inspection work.
- Paras Aerospace has a portfolio of products, unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) sub-systems including multispectral cameras, electro-optic cameras among others.
- It also qualifies for the Centre’s productivity-linked incentive scheme equipment manufacturing, component making and software.
- The PLI scheme is intended to catalyse growth in the drone sector and another step towards reaching the goal of ”Atmanirbhar Bharat”.
- Paras Aerospace Pvt Ltd offers a wide range of development, integration, manufacturing and certification of UAV systems.
International Affairs – Daily Current Affairs March 17
13. India, Indonesia hold 2nd security dialogue, discuss counter-terrorism:
- National Security Advisor Ajit Doval led the second India-Indonesia security dialogue with Coordinating Minister for Political, Legal, and Security Affairs of Indonesia Mohammad Mahfud, where they discussed cooperation on different issues.
- Including cooperation in counter-terrorism, maritime, defence and cyber.
India-Indonesia hold their first security dialogue during which both the nations agreed on operational cooperation in security and counter-terrorism.
- These dialogues are seen as a tool to strengthen the diplomatic relation between the two countries.
- In January, External Affairs Minister (EAM) S Jaishankar exchanged views on the present situation of Myanmar and Afghanistan with his Indonesian counterpart Retno Marsudi.Jaishankar also agreed to take forward the bilateral ties between the two nations and to work closely in the G-20 Troika.
- The G20 Troika refers to the top grouping within the G20 that consists of the current, previous and incoming presidencies Indonesia, Italy and India.
- India will assume the G20 presidency on December 1, 2022, from Indonesia and will convene the G20 Leaders’ Summit for the first time in India in 2023.
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs March 17
14. Rajnath Singh inaugurates 7-storey R&D facility built by DRDO in record 45 days:
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated a multi-storey facility for flight control system at Aeronautical Development Establishment built by India’s premier defence research institute DRDO with hybrid technology consisting of conventional, pre-engineered and precast methodology in record 45 days.
- Karnataka Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai was among those present on the occasion.
- The seven-storey building, with a plinth area of 1.3 lakh square feet, will house research and development facilities for the development of a fifth-generation medium weight deep penetration fighter jet for the Indian Air Force.
- The complex will have facilities for developing avionics for fighter aircraft and flight control system (FCS) for the Advanced Medium Combat Aircraft (AMCA) project.
- The initial development cost of the project, being undertaken by the ADE, has been estimated at around Rs 15,000 crore.
- The building features air-conditioning, electrical and fire protection systems as per the standard national building code and the design check and technical support was provided by teams from IIT Madras and IIT Roorkee.
15. PM Modi addresses Valedictory Function of 96th Common Foundation Course at LBSNAA:
- Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi addressed the Valedictory Function of 96th Common Foundation Course at Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA) via video conferencing.
- And also inaugurated the new sports complex and dedicated revamped Happy Valley Complex to the Nation.
- This is based on the principles of Mission Karmayogi, with new pedagogy and course design.
- The batch comprises of 488 OTs from 16 services and 3 Royal Bhutan Services (Administrative, Police and Forest).
- To harness the adventurous and innovative spirit of the youthful batch, new pedagogy guided by the principles of Mission Karmayogi was designed.
- Transforming the Officer Trainee from a student /citizen into a public servant through initiatives like interaction with Padma Awardees in the spirit of “Sabka Prayas” and village visit for an immersive experience of rural India.
- Officer Trainees also visited villages in remote/border areas to understand the challenges faced by people living in these areas.
- Modular approach for Curriculum was adopted in consonance with the principle of continuous graded learning and self-guided learning.
- In addition to health tests, fitness tests were also carried out to support the transition of an ‘exam burdened student’ to a ‘healthy youthful civil servant’.
- All 488 Officer Trainees were given first level training in Krav Maga and in various other sports.
16. ICG’s fifth offshore patrol vessel Saksham commissioned in Goa:
- Indian Coast Guard’s fifth offshore patrol vessel ‘Saksham’ was commissioned in Goa by Defence Secretary Ajay Kumar.
- The 105 meters offshore patrol vessel (OPV) has been designed and built indigenously by Goa Shipyard Limited and is fitted with advanced technology, navigation and communication equipment, sensors and machinery.
- The ship is designed to carry one twin engine helicopter and four high speed boats, including two inflatable boats for boarding operation, search and rescue, law enforcement and maritime patrol.
- Saksham is also capable of carrying limited pollution response equipment to contain oil spill at sea.
17. Cabinet nod for Indian Antarctica Bill:
- The Union Cabinet is learnt to have approved a draft legislation to provide a regulatory framework for India’s research activities in Antarctica and protect the environment in the icy continent.
- The Indian Antarctica Bill, piloted by the Ministry of Earth Sciences, is also expected to help India fulfil its obligations under the Antarctic Treaty of 1959, the Convention on the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources of 1982 and the Protocol on Environmental Protection to the Antarctic Treaty of 1998.
- The bill is introduced in the ongoing Budget Session of Parliament.
- The Indian Antarctic programme, which began in 1981, has completed 40 scientific expeditions and built three permanent research base stations in Antarctica Dakshin Gangotri (1983), Maitri (1988) and Bharati (2012).
- Currently, Maitri and Bharati are fully operational.
- India also plans to build another research facility to replace Maitri, which has outlived its life and structural integrity.
- The Ministry of Earth Sciences stated parliamentary committee that the Maitri research facility was much compromised and needed immediate replacements and take efforts were on to upgrade the Maitri research facility.