Daily Current Affairs June 18
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs June 18. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
June 18| Daily Current Affairs 2022
Important Days – Daily Current Affairs June 18
1. Which day is celebrated as the World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought?
A) June 19
B) June 18
C) June 16
D) June 17
E) June 15
Answer: D) June 17
- Celebrated every year on June 17, World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought focuses on turning the degraded land into a healthy land.
- The main aim of this day is to find out achievable solutions for combating desertification.
- There’s an urgent need to restore the degraded land which in turn will help bring economic resilience, raise income and ensure food security.
- Established in 1994, World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought was declared by the United Nations General Assembly.
- This day came into existence to raise public awareness around the solutions to combat desertification, especially in those areas that are experiencing a serious drought.
- In 1995, people across the globe observed World Day to Combat Desertification and Drought for the first time.
- “Rising up from drought together.’
- While announcing the theme of 2022 Desertification and Drought Day, United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD)
2. Which day is celebrated as theSustainable Gastronomy Day 2022?
A) June 19
B) June 18
C) June 16
D) June 17
E) June 15
Answer: B) June 18
- June 18 marks the occasion of Sustainable Gastronomy Day.
- This United Nations-designated day is observed to highlight the role that sustainable gastronomy plays in terms of sustainable development.
- According to the United Nation, Gastronomy refers to a style of cooking from a particular region.
- The term also refers to local food and cuisine.
- Sustainability, on the other hand, is the idea that something is done in a way that is not wasteful of our natural resources and can be continued into the future without being detrimental to our environment or health.
- The UN General Assembly adopted the resolution on December 21, 2016, and designated June 18 as an international observance, Sustainable Gastronomy Day.
- The resolution acknowledged gastronomy as a cultural expression related to the natural and cultural diversity of the world.
- “The art of cooking and what you can do to make it more sustainable”.
Banking and Finance – Daily Current Affairs June 18
3. RBI has receivedthe nod for merger of financial services business for which of the following company?
A) City Union Finance
B) Shriram Group
C) Tata Equity PE Fund
D) L&T Mutual Fund
E) UTI Mutual Fund
Answer: B) Shriram Group
- The Shriram Group had secured RBI approval for the merger of Shriram City Union Finance and Shriram Capital Ltd with Shriram Transport Finance Company in a consolidation set to create the largest retail finance NBFC in the country.
- Shriram said RBI issued its No Objection to the scheme of amalgamation through a letter dated June 15.
- In December last year, the boards of various group companies met to approve the merger of SCL and SCUF with STFC.
- The RBI green signal counts among a raft of necessary approvals — the scheme has to secure nods from the IRDA and other regulators to sail through.
- The combined financial service entity, Shriram Finance Ltd, would benefit from the multiplier effect of the unification of numerous market channels, and leverage data analytics to serve customers – counting over 2 crore by end-December 2021 – better.
- The merger would help the group bring together all its lending products –Commercial vehicles, Two-Wheeler Loans, Gold Loan, Personal Loan, Auto Loan & Small Enterprise Finance-under a single roof, thereby creating a financial powerhouse which would end up being a market leader in all the product and consumer segments.
Acquisitions and Mergers – Daily Current Affairs June 18
4. Which of the following has been associated with the Zomato to fulfill its commitment towards ‘The Climate Group’s EV?
B) Chevron Corp
C) Bharathi Airtel
D) Exxon Mobil Corp
Answer: A) Jio-bp
- Zomato and Jio-bp have entered into an agreement to support Zomato’s commitment towards “The Climate Group’s EV100 initiative of 100 per cent EV fleet by 2030″.
- The collaboration is poised to accelerate EV adoption in the rapidly growing Indian delivery and transportation segment, TechRadar.
- Jio-bp, the fuel and mobility joint venture between Reliance Industries Ltd and bp, will provide EV mobility services to Zomato and access to ‘Jio-bp pulse’ battery swapping stations for last-mile delivery.
- With high-performance batteries resulting in superior on-road range and with swapping taking just a couple of minutes, battery swapping has become an ideal solution for two and three-wheelers, especially those playing in the last-mile delivery segment.
- Battery swapping is set to be the primary driver in the electrification of the last mile delivery and passenger segments, the company added.
Appointments – Daily Current Affairs June 18
5. Who has becomethe COAI new Chairman?
A) P Balaji
B) Ajai Puri
C) Pramod K Mittal
D) D. Lakshmi Mittal
E) Amit Bhatia
Answer: C) Pramod K Mittal
- The Cellular Operators’ Association of India (COAI) said it has appointed Pramod K Mittal, President, Reliance Jio Infocomm as the Chairman and P Balaji, Chief Regulatory and Corporate Affairs Officer, Vodafone Idea as the Vice Chairperson of the association.
- It said the decision was taken at its annual general body meeting for the Financial Year 2021-22.
- COAI, the apex industry body represents leading telecom, Internet, technology, and digital services companies.
- Mittal comes with a rich experience of 42 years in telecommunications.
- Before joining Reliance Jio Infocomm as President, he served in the Department of Telecommunications, for over 37 years.
- Balaji is a member of the Core Leadership Team of Vodafone Idea.
Awards – Daily Current Affairs June 18
6. Which Bank CEO get FE pillar of BFSI industry award recently?
A) Federal Bank
B) DBS Bank
C) ICICI Bank
D) Canara Bank
E) Karnataka Bank
Answer: E) Karnataka Bank
- The city-headquartered Karnataka Bank CEO and managing director M S Mahabaleshwara has been conferred with the ‘FE Pillar of the BFSI Industry’ award.
- The bank had clocked its highest ever annual net profit of Rs 507.99 crore for the year that ended on March 31, 2022 in spite of COVID-19 affected economy.
- Mahabaleshwara dedicated the award to the bank’s board of directors for their valuable guidance and unstinted support and to 8,500 plus staff of the bank, who have been steadfast and resilient in realising the growth aspirations of the bank.
International Affairs – Daily Current Affairs June 18
7. ADB announced $305M project to support expansion of electricity to which country?
A) Papua New Guinea
C) East Timor
Answer: A) Papua New Guinea
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) announced a $305 million project which will support the strengthening and expansion of electricity in Papua New Guinea (PNG).
- The Power Sector Development Project is supported by loans and grants from ADB and the governments of Australia and PNG and will target five subprojects within the main power grids of the country’s power utility, PNG Power Limited (PPL).
- ADB provided two loans amounting to $208.6 million, the Government of Australia contributed a $59.5 million loan and a $12.8 million grant, and the Government of PNG with PPL will yield $24.1 million.
- The limited electricity access in PNG stifles economic growth and exacerbates poverty and inequality in both urban and rural areas.
- COVID-19 has also impacted the local economy, and quality infrastructure is a central component of the government’s post-pandemic economic recovery strategy.
- The stable power grids proposed under the project will help maintain urban health facilities’ basic operations and are critical to reducing COVID-19 risks.
8. Name the China launched third most advanced domestically built aircraft carrier?
A) Shenyang J-16
B) Chengdu J-20
C) Dornier 228
E) Sukhoi Su-27
Answer: D) Fujian
- China launched its third aircraft carrier named ‘Fujian’, the country’s most advanced as well as the first “fully domestically built” naval vessel, as an aggressive Beijing sought to project its naval power in the strategic Indo-Pacific region.
- The launching ceremony of ship ‘Fujian’ was held at the Shanghai’s Jiangnan Shipyard.
- Fujian is the name of China’s eastern coastal province of Fujian.
- The launch of the ship was delayed by two months due to the COVID lockdown of Shanghai.
- It was due to be launched on April 23 around the 73rd anniversary of the People’s Liberation Army Navy (PLAN). China’s first aircraft carrier.
- The ‘Liaoning’, was a refit of the Soviet-era ship commissioned in 2012 followed by the indigenously built 2nd aircraft carrier ‘Shandong’ in 2019.
- Liaoning and Shandong are names of two provinces of China.
- China plans to have around five aircraft carriers. The next aircraft carrier China plans to build is expected to be nuclear-powered.
- The Type 003 warship with a hull number of 18, is the first carrier in China’s fleet to use an electromagnetic catapult to launch planes from the deck, which is faster than the older steam catapult system.
- Xu Qiliang, a member of the Political Bureau of the ruling Communist Party of China Central Committee and vice-chairman of the Central Military Commission, attended the launch ceremony.
9. Cabinet approved MoA for establishment of BIMSTEC Technology Transfer Centre in which place?
Answer: C) Colombo
- The Union Cabinet had approved a memorandum of association (MoA) by India for the establishment of BIMSTEC Technology Transfer Centre in Colombo.
- The MoA was signed by the Bay of Bengal Initiative for Multi-Sectoral Technical and Economic Cooperation member countries at the 5th BIMSTEC Summit held in Colombo, Sri Lanka on March 30 this year.
- The main objectives of the Technology Transfer Facility (TTF) are to coordinate, facilitate and strengthen cooperation in technology transfer among the BIMSTEC member states by promoting the transfer of technologies, sharing of experiences and capacity building.
- The statement said the centre shall facilitate transfer of technologies among the BIMSTEC member states, amongst other things, in priority areas, including biotechnology, nanotechnology, information and communication technology, space technology applications, agricultural technology, food processing technology, pharmaceutical technology automation and new and renewable energy technology automation.
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs June 18
10. Union Ministers inaugurated Squash Courts at which place?
C) New Delhi
E) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: C) New Delhi
- External Affairs Minister Dr. S Jaishankar and Sports Minister Anurag Singh Thakur inaugurated the Squash Courts at the Major Dhyanchand Stadium in New Delhi.
- These are the first-ever Squash courts opened by the Sports Authority of India in any centre across the country.
- Addressing the event, Dr Jaishankar who is also an avid Squash enthusiast, said, the Ministry of Sports is solely responsible for the entire project and for making the facilities available.
- He said, many sports now are getting recognition and the message sent out by Prime Minister Narendra Modi to inculcate a lifestyle of fitness and give chance to talents, is being resonated everywhere.
- Dr Jaishankar said, Mr Modi has always stressed on physical fitness, competitiveness and mental strength, which is needed for New India.
- Mr Thakur said, when there is an opportunity like this, there is a possibility of new stars emerging.
- Referring how young champions can benefit from the Government of India schemes,
- The Minister said, he has full belief that having such a world-class Squash infrastructure will definitely target more such promising champions in the coming years and we are ready to support them through our Target Olympic Podium Scheme and Khelo India Scheme.
11. Israel and which state government to sign pact on water cooperation?
C) New Delhi
E) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: A) Haryana
- Gurugram: To check the depleting groundwater level in the state the Israel and Haryana government have agreed to work together in the field of integrated water resource management and capacity building.
- Israel will transfer knowledge, capacity building and technologies for the development of the water management sector in the state.
- Many districts of Haryana are in the dark zone and entire south Haryana is dependent on Yamuna water.
- As part of this joint declaration, MASHAV will share knowledge, capacity building and Israeli technologies for the development of Haryana in the water management sector.
- Speaking on the occasion, Ambassador Shlein said, “This is a significant milestone as our countries are celebrating 30 years of full diplomatic relations and water security has always been one of the most important pillars of our relations.”
12. LTI Inaugurated Satellite Center in which place?
Answer: D) Kolkata
- Center to create exciting opportunities for aspiring talent in the Eastern region of India Mumbai, Maharashtra, India – Business Wire India Larsen & Toubro Infotech, a global technology consulting and digital solutions company, had expanded its operations in Kolkata by setting up a new facility in the city.
- The new center marks company’s expansion in the Eastern region of the country and is designed to meet the requirements of a futuristic and modern workplace.
- The center was inaugurated today by Nachiket Deshpande, Chief Operating Officer, LTI, Manoj Shikarkhane, Chief Human Resource Officer, LTI, Nirupam Chaudhuri, Regional Head, NASSCOM, and Debashis Sen, Chairman of Nabadiganta Industrial Township Authority (NDITA).
- Located in the Salt Lake Electronics Complex, the new center is equipped to house more than 300 employees.
- The center will support LTI’s service delivery capabilities for Cloud, Data, and Digital technologies and create exciting career opportunities for local talent seeking experiences in these futuristic domains.
13. New species of bamboo-dwelling bat found in which place?
A) Himachal Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
E) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: C) Meghalaya
- Scientists have discovered a new species of bamboo-dwelling bat in Ri Bhoi district of Meghalaya.
- The species, found near the forested patch of Nongkhyllem Wildlife Sanctuary, has been named Glischropus meghalayanus.
- The present discovery is the first report of a thick-thumbed bat not only from India but also from South Asia.
- Two recently collected Glischropus specimens from Meghalaya State in northeastern India extend the known distribution range of the genus westward into South Asia by ca. (approximately) 1,000 km.
- Morphological examination of these specimens and comparison with all known species in this genus revealed marked differences in colouration, dental characters and bacular traits.
- The newly discovered species is small in size and has a dark brown colour with sulphur yellow belly.
14. Which airport has become India’s 1st airport to launch a vertical Axis wubd Turbine and solar PV hybird?
A) Rajiv Gandhi International Airport
B) Indira Gandhi International Airport
C) Kempegowda International Airport
D) Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport
E) Ntaji Subhah Chadra Bose International Airport
Answer: D) Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport
- The Mumbai International Airport in yet another eco-friendly step had introduced the vertical axis wind turbine (VAWT) and solar PV hybrid (solar mill) to explore the possibility of utilising wind energy for consumption purposes at the airport.
- The new technology will help to ensure round-the-clock energy generation and harness maximum energy through wind power systems in the Mumbai airport.
- A Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA), this sustainable initiative undertaken by the airport aims in reducing dependence on conventional electricity which propels its journey towards ‘net zero’ emissions.
- To assist in enhancing capacity usage of green energy, CSMIA has deployed a 10Kwp hybrid solar mill consisting of 2 Kwp turbo mill (3 Savonius type VAWT) and 8 Kwp solar PV modules, with an estimated minimum energy generation of 36 Kwh/day.
- It is estimated that the VAWT technology will generate around 13,140 Kwh/annum for 25 years, and will increase renewable energy in the existing energy mix and can reduce carbon emission to about 2,59,515 KgCo2e (kilogram of carbon dioxide equivalent per kilogram).
15. The Central Government increased the upper age limit for Agnipath scheme from 21 years to how many years?
A) 22 years
B) 23 years
C) 24 years
D) 25 years
E) 26 years
Answer: B) 23 years
- The Central government had extended the upper age limit for the Agnipath recruitment scheme from 21 years to 23 years.
- The age waiver will be given only “one time” for the proposed recruitment cycle for 2022, informed the Defence Ministry.
- The decision has been taken as no recruitment had taken place in the last two years.
- Government has said that agniveers will be given priority in the recruitment of Central Armed Police Forces and State Police.
- There is a misconception that the future of Agniveers is insecure. It said, for those wishing to be entrepreneurs they will get a financial package and bank loan scheme.
- For the agniveers, who wish to study further, 12th class equivalent certificate will be given.
- Opportunities for youth to serve in armed forces will increase through Agnipath scheme.
- In the coming years, recruitment of Agniveers will be around triple of the current recruitment in armed forces.
- The Union Cabinet approved the Agnipath recruitment scheme which provides an opportunity for Indian youth to serve in the regular cadre of the Armed Forces for a period of four years.
- Under the scheme, over forty six thousand youth will be recruited this year.
- The Agnipath Scheme has been designed to enable a youthful profile of the Armed Forces.
- It will be an unique opportunity for the youth to serve the country and contribute to Nation Building.
- The dividends of a short military service to the nation, society and the youth of the nation are immense.
- This includes inculcation of patriotism, team work, enhancement of physical fitness, ingrained loyalty for the country and availability of trained personnel to boost national security in times of external threats, internal threats and natural disasters.
Over All Review
Banking and Finance
Acquisitions and Mergers