Daily Current Affairs February 28
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs February 28. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
February 28 | Daily Current Affairs 2022
Important Days – Daily Current Affairs February 28
1. National Science Day:
- Each year, February 28 is celebrated as National Science Day to commemorate the discovery of the ‘Raman Effect’ by Indian physicist CV Raman.
This year, the theme of the celebrations is ‘Integrated Approach in Science and Technology for Sustainable Future’.
- In 1986, The National Council for Science and Technology Communication (NCSTC) requested the Center to designate February 28 as National Science Day.
- The day was first celebrated on February 28, 1987.
- Raman won the Nobel Prize in 1930 for his work on ‘The scattering of light and the discovery of the Raman effect.’
2. World NGO Day 2022:
- February 27 has been observed as World NGO Day in several countries across the world.
- It is an international day to recognise, celebrate and honour non-government and non-profit organisations and also those who contribute their time and efforts in making society a better place to live in.
- The Baltic Sea NGO Forum of the Council of the Baltic Sea State officially recognised this day on April 27, 2010.
- It was adopted in the forum’s Final Statement Resolution two years later.
- In 2014,February 27 was declared as World NGO Day and it became a historic day for the NGO community across the globe.
- An international calendar day, which is now known as ‘World NGO Day,’ was inaugurated for the first time on this day.
- The Baltic Sea NGO Forum have member countries like Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany, Iceland, Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Russia, Norway and Sweden.
- Overall, World NGO Day is observed in around 89 countries and 6 continents.
- The theme for World NGO Day 2022 is yet to be announced.
- The theme for World NGO Day 2021 was to align NGO’s work to reach United Nations Goal for Sustainable Development.
3. Ministry of MSME Celebrates “Iconic Week” from 28.02.2022 – 6.03.2022 under the AzadikaAmritMahotsav Initiative:
- AzadikaAmritMahotsav’ is an initiative of the Government of India to celebrate and commemorate 75 years of progressive India and the glorious history of its people, culture and achievements.
- As part of this initiative, Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises is celebrating its iconic week under ‘AzadikaAmritMahosav’ initiative.
- During the iconic week, Ministry of MSME will launch Phase II of its ‘National Level Awareness Programme – Sambhav’ through which more than one lakh students from 1300 colleges all across the country will be motivated to take up entrepreneurship.
- Ministry of MSME is also launching an Entrepreneurship Promotion Drive in 46 aspirational districts in 9 states of the country.
- Ministry of MSME will also bring out a special issue of LaghuUdyogSamachar during the iconic week under AzadiKaAmritMahotsav covering various schemes / programmes / events and opinions on MSME sector and covering 75 success stories of entrepreneurs.
Sports – Daily Current Affairs February 28
4. ATP tennis rankings: Daniil Medvedev officially becomes world no. 1, passing Novak Djokovic:
- Russia’s Daniil Medvedev became the 27th player to reach the number one spot in the men’s ATP tennis rankings.
- Medvedev overtakes 20-time Grand Slam champion Novak Djokovic of Serbia, who had held the top spot for a record 361 weeks in total Medvedev, the 2021 US Open champion, becomes the first player outside the ‘Big Four’ of Djokovic, Roger Federer, Rafael Nadal and Andy Murray to move to number one in the world rankings for 18 years, three weeks and six days – since Andy Roddick reached top spot on 1st February 2004.
- The last time there was a new world number one in men’s tennis was more than five years ago, when Murray made it there on 7th November 2016.
- Medvedev is the third Russian to achieve the feat, and joins Yevgeny Kafelnikov and Marat Safin who were respectively top for six and nine weeks.
5. MirabaiChanu wins gold in Singapore, qualifies for Birmingham Commonwealth Games:
- Tokyo Olympics silver medalist MirabaiChanu made a winning return to competition at the Singapore International Weightlifting tournament.
- The field didn’t pose much challenge but Chanu tested herself in a higher weight category (55kg) for the Commonwealth Games, to be held in Birmingham from July 28 to August 8, and came out with flying colours.
- Chanu’s Olympic medal last year came in 49kg.
- Competing after seven months, Chanu lifted 86kg in snatch in her third attempt and 105 in clean and jerk, the total of 191kg placing her atop the podium to qualify for the CWG.
- Jessica Sewastenko of Australia lifted 167kg (77+90) to claim silver and Elly Cascandra Englebert of Malaysia was third (165 — 75+90).
Banking and Finance – Daily Current Affairs February 28
6. Kotak Joins NPCI’s #SafetyShield Campaign:
- Kotak Mahindra Bank participating in National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI)’s #SafetyShield Campaign
- To combat the menace of UPI Frauds and launched a multi-layered campaign to create awareness, so that the consumers do not fall prey to UPI frauds.
- In addition to this, we encourage our customers to use the Kotak Mobile Banking app, scan QR codes and make payments via UPI.
- Kotak Mobile Banking App is a safe and secure way to transact conveniently.
7. NDB first multilateral agency to open office in Gift City:
- New Development Bank (NDB) will become the first multilateral agency to open an office in the Gujarat International Finance Tech City (Gift) after an approval for the same.
- NDB vice president representating India Anil Kishora. The multilateral agency will take all requisite steps to make the Indian office operational by the middle of May.
Business and Economy – Daily Current Affairs February 28
8. Ashok Leyland launches India’s first 9-speed AMT Tipper– AVTR 2825:
- Ashok Leyland, flagship of the Hinduja Group and India’s leading commercial vehicle manufacturer launched India’s first Tipper with 9-speed Automated Manual Transmission (AMT) – the AVTR 2825.
- Since the inception of AVTR, the first modular commercial truck platform in India, Ashok Leyland has focused on improving driver comfort and providing better fuel-efficient products, thus enhancing customer profits.
- The new AVTR 2825 with 9 speed AMT can operate in different transmission modes (automated and manual) and deliver high fuel efficiency with its acceleration-based gear shifting.
- Ingenious technology of AMT in AVTR 2825 tipper eases driving efforts with its unique features like rock-free mode and integrated Hill-Start-Aid.
Appointments – Daily Current Affairs February 28
9. MadhabiPuriBuch appointed first woman chairperson of Sebi:
- Former banker MadhabiPuri Buch has been appointed as the new chairperson of the Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) – the first-ever woman to head the capital markets regulator.
- Buch, 57, who was not only the first woman whole-time member of Sebi but also the first person working at the regulator from the private sector, has been appointed for a three-year term.
- She replaces bureaucrat Ajay Tyagi whose tenure as Sebi chairman ends.
- A graduate from Delhi’s St Stephen’s College and an MBA from IIM Ahmedabad, Buch has three decades of financial market experience.
- Starting her career with ICICI Bank, she went on to become the managing director and CEO at ICICI Securities from February 2009 to May 2011.
- In 2011, Buch left for Singapore to join private equity firm Greater Pacific Capital LLP.
- She later served as a consultant to the New Development Bank, set up by the BRICS bloc of nations, in Shanghai.
- She is the founder-director of Agora Advisory Pvt Ltd.
- Buch, who will assume charge on March 1, has worked closely with Tyagi as a whole-time member between April 05, 2017, and October 4, 2021.
- She handled key portfolios such as surveillance, collective investment schemes, and investment management.
- Appointments Committee of Cabinet, headed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, has approved Buch’s appointment for an initial period of three years.
- Tyagi, 63, a 1984 batch IAS officer of Himachal Pradesh cadre, was appointed as Sebi Chairperson on March 1, 2017, for three years.
- He was subsequently given a six-month extension and later in August 2020, his tenure was extended by 18 months.
- As per the procedure for the appointment of regulators, the candidates are shortlisted by the Financial Sector Regulatory Appointments Search Committee (FSRASC) headed by the cabinet secretary.
- They are interviewed by the panel comprising Economic Affairs Secretary and three external members.
- As per the Sebi Act, the Sebi chairman is appointed for a maximum period of five years or till 65 years, whichever is earlier.
- The government had given an extension to U K Sinha for three years, making him the second longest-serving chief of Sebi after D R Mehta. Sinha was at the helm before Tyagi took charge.
- Buch joined ICICI Bank in 1989.She had a 12-year stint at ICICI Bank, including three years as executive director, before moving to ICICI Securities.
10. upGrad ropes in legendary Amitabh Bachchan as Brand Ambassador:
- upGrad, Asia’s higher edtech major signs legendary actor, Amitabh Bachchan as the official brand ambassador.
- As a part of the partnership, Bachchan will be seen supporting upGrad’s brand value through endorsements and promotions of services offered by the higher Edtech leader.
Science and Technology – Daily Current Affairs February 28
11. Honeywell &IISc extend partnership to support 13 new startups, promote R&D:
- Honeywell Hometown Solutions India Foundation (HHSIF), the philanthropic arm of Honeywell India, and the Society for Innovation and Development (SID) at the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) here have extended their partnership to support 13 new startups to promote research and development (R&D) in deep science and fuel local innovation.
- HHSIF will provide these startups with seed capital, while SID will offer infrastructure support, access to the right technology, mentoring, and human capital.
- Startups focused on R&D in deep science solutions were eligible for funding and support under this partnership.
International Affairs – Daily Current Affairs February 28
12. India and Japan renew bilateral swap arrangement of $75 billion:
- India and Japan renewed their bilateral swap arrangements to the extent of $75 billion.
- The Bank of Japan, acting as an agent for the Minister of Finance Japan, and the RBI signed the amendment and restatement agreement of the bilateral swap agreement (BSA).
- Japan and India believe that the BSA, which aims to strengthen and complement other financial safety nets, will further deepen financial cooperation between the two countries and contribute to regional and global financial stability.
- Essentially, BSA is a two-way arrangement where both authorities can swap their local currencies in exchange for dollars.
- This means, India can acquire dollars from Japan in exchange for rupees.And Japan can also seek dollars from India in exchange for yen.
- The BSA was negotiated between India and Japan during the Indian prime minister’s visit to Japan in 2018.
- Consequently, the swap arrangement was signed to the tune of $75 billion in October 2020, to bring greater stability to foreign exchange.
13. Canada clears world’s 1st plant-based Covid vaccine:
- Canada approved the use of Covifenz, the world’s first plant-derived Covid-19 vaccine jointly developed by Medicago Inc. and GlaxoSmithKline Plc.
- The vaccine has been cleared for people aged 18 to 64 since its safety and effectiveness, according to Health Canada, have not been established in people younger than 18 or older than 64 years of age.
- The approval of the plant-derived Covid-19 vaccine could help overcome vaccine hesitancy among many as countries are struggling to raise vaccination rates after a certain threshold.
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs February 28
14. Indian Navy’s advanced diving support ship on training mission in Sri Lanka:
- Indian Naval ship ‘Nireekshak’, an advanced diving support ship, arrived at Sri Lanka’s Trincomalee port for facilitating diving training for the Sri Lankan Navy.
- The deployment of the naval ship for 10 days in Sri Lanka is part of the Indian government’s capacity building initiative under its ‘Neighbourhood First’ policy.
- During its deployment in the island nation, the ship will facilitate ”Mixed Gas Diving training for the Sri Lanka Navy.
- The vessel has two six-men recompression chambers and one three-man diving bell.
- The Commanding Officer of the Indian Naval ship, Commander Mohammad Ikram called on Commander of Eastern Naval Area, Rear Admiral PDS Dias, and held discussions on the training.
15. DIAL, IIT-Delhi sign agreement to improve operational efficiency at Delhi airport:
- Delhi airport operator DIAL has signed an agreement with IIT-Delhi to enhance passenger experience and operational efficiency at its terminals by leveraging artificial intelligence-based predictive analytics.
- The analytics will benefit DIAL in improvising its allocation of resources in response to dynamically changing passenger loads at the airport.
16. Ministry of Defence signs Rs 1,075 cr contract with BEL for retro-modification of Commander Sight for T-90 tanks:
- The Ministry of Defence has signed aRs 1,075 crore contract with Bharat Electronics Limited for the retro-modification of Commander Sight of Battle Tanks-T90 for the Indian Army.
- The retro-modification will be carried out in 957 tanks.
- The total value of the contract is Rs 1,075 cr (including all taxes and duties).
- The successful indigenous development of Thermal Imager-based Commander Sight, jointly by IRDE, DRDO and BEL, with improved performance than its predecessor provides a further boost to the ‘Make in India’ initiative of the Government of India.
17. BSES commissions India’s 1st smart managed EV charging station in Delhi:
- BSES Yamuna Power Limited (BYPL), a subsidiary of Reliance Infrastructure-backed BSES has commissioned India’s first ‘Smart Managed EV Charging Station’ in the national capital.
- Supported by Nordic Innovation, an organisation promoted by the governments of Nordic countries, and executed by Fortum Charge & Drive, it will be the first BYPL operated and managed Smart EV Charging Station.
- This smart managed EV charging station, which can charge five EVs simultaneously, is located at BYPL’s 11 kV Sub Station building in MayurVihar Extension Phase-1.
- Depending on the response, more such smart EV charging stations will be rolled out in South, West, East and Central Delhi.
18. Andhra Pradesh CM launches loan facility to OTS beneficiaries of housing scheme:
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy launched an initiative to provide loans to the One Time Settlement (OTS) beneficiaries of the Jagananna Sampoorna Gruha Hakku Scheme, a housing scheme for the poor.
- Launching the initiative at a review meeting held in Amaravati, the Chief Minister said loans would benefit the OTS beneficiaries to a greater extent.
- The loans are being extended by Chaitanya Godavari Grameena Bank which operates in Guntur, Krishna, East Godavari, and West Godavari districts.
- The beneficiariesin Guntur Corporation had paid ₹20,000, got clear titles for their property without any litigation, and they mortgaged the property again and obtained a loan of ₹3 lakh.
Over All Review
Banking and Finance
Business And Economy
Science and Technology