Daily Current Affairs August 21
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs August 21. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
August 21 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
IMPORTANT DAYS – Daily Current Affairs August 21
1. World Senior Citizen Day is observed on which date?
A) August 24
B) August 23
C) August 22
D) August 25
E) August 21
Answer: E) August 21
- World Senior Citizen Day is observed on August 21.
- It’s an effort by the young to acknowledge the problems that our elders face due to their age and raise awareness about those issues.
- Not just that, it is also an effort to recognise that our parents and grandparents are the living memory of history.
- They possess valuable and well-earned wisdom through life experiences, which they can share with the next generation as they navigate the many aspects of life.
- The day also recognises their contributions to the world’s advancement as leaders, professionals, and entrepreneurs.
World Senior Citizen Day: History:
- This year, we celebrate the 32nd World Senior Citizen Day.
- The day was first proposed by former US President Ronald Reagan in 1988.
- On August 21 that year, he officially commemorated the first National Senior Citizens Day.
- Two years later, the United Nations General Assembly adopted it as a global celebration.
International Day of Remembrance of and Tribute to victims of terrorism:
- Terrorism is the biggest threat to our civilization currently.
- Every year, thousands of innocent people lose their lives to these ghastly acts of terror.
- Incident of these acts might end in a matter of a few hours or days, but they leave behind a scar that can never be undone from the minds of the victim.
- To remember and pay tribute to the victims who lose their life or suffer the trauma of terrorism, United Nations observes August 21 as the International Day of Remembrance of and Tribute to victims of terrorism.
INTERNATIONAL DAY OF REMEMBRANCE OF AND TRIBUTE TO VICTIMS OF TERRORISM: HISTORY:
- The United Nations General Assembly in its resolution 72/165 in 2017 marked August 21 as the day the International Day of Remembrance of and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism to honor and support the victims of such acts across the globe.
- The day was observed with the aim to provide and promote human rights and fundamental freedoms to these victims.
Sanskrit Week has been celebrated August 19 to August 25:
- This Sanskrit Week is observed to promote and popularise the ancient language
SPORTS – Daily Current Affairs August 21
2. Amit Khatri won a silver in men’s _______ race walk event to clinch India’s second medal at the World U-20 Athletics Championship?
Answer: E) 10,000m
- Amit Khatri won a silver in men’s 10,000m race walk event to clinch India’s second medal at the World U-20 Athletics Championship.
- The 17-year-old Khatri, the national record holder and world U-20 season leader, clocked 42 minute 17.94 seconds to finish second behind Kenya’s Heristone Wanyoni (42:10.84) on the fourth and penultimate day of the championships.
- The mixed 4x400m relay team had won a bronze on the first day of competitions.
- Khatri was leading after the 9000m mark but the local athlete Wanyoni pulled ahead with less than two laps left in the race to win gold with a personal best time.
- Paul McGrath of Spain won the bronze with a timing of 42:26.11 minutes
BANKING AND FINANCE – Daily Current Affairs August 21
3. USAID, DFC tie-up with Kotak Bank for ______ loan guarantee for women, small biz in India?
A) USD 30 mn
B) USD 40 mn
C) USD 50 mn
D) USD 10 mn
E) USD 60 mn
Answer: C) USD 50 mn
- Two American institutions have jointly sponsored a USD 50 million (about Rs 372 crore) loan guarantee for Indian women and small business borrowers by tying up with private sector lender Kotak Mahindra Bank.
- This is a loan portfolio guarantee to Kotak Mahindra Bank (KMB) by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) and the US International Development Finance Corporation (DFC) to support increased access to finance for women borrowers, and micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) across India, as per a statement.
- It explained that KMB will be providing loans for on-lending to non-bank lenders operating in the MSME and micro-lending space.
- The program is likely to benefit 30,000 women borrowers and 7,500 MSMEs.
4. Which Bank transferred a loan sanctioned letter of Rs 5100 crores to the Uttar Pradesh government for the project?
A) Indian Overseas Bank
B) State Bank of India
C) Punjab National Bank
D) Bank of Baroda
E) Bank of Maharashtra
Answer: C) Punjab National Bank
- The work for the ambitious Ganga expressway project received a boost when Punjab National Bank (PNB) transferred a loan sanctioned letter of Rs 5100 crores to the Uttar Pradesh government for the project.
- At a function held here Managing Director-cum-CEO of Punjab National Bank S S Mallikarjuna Rao transferred the loan sanction letter to the UP government in presence of Union Finance and Corporate minister Nirmala Sitharaman and UP chief minister Yogi Adityanath.
- UP finalized the process of securitization based loans from banks as a part of mobilization of financial resources for Ganga Expressway.
- UPEDA, which is a government-incorporated authority for the construction of expressways in the state, was given Rs 5100 crore loan for the construction of the Ganga Expressway project.
- During this period the expressway will continue to be owned and operated by UPEIDA.
In this way, this is the first innovative attempt to monetize public infrastructure assets not only in the state but in the whole of North India.
- Ganga Expressway project is 594 kms and it will be the longest expressway in North India and the second longest in the country.
- More than 92 percent of the land required for this expressway has been purchased.
- The cost of this expressway has been estimated to be around Rs 36,230 crore.
- The function was also attended by state industry minister Satish Mahana and finance minister Suresh Kumar Khanna.
- Chief Executive Officer of UPEDA Avnish Kumar Awasthi conducted the program and expressed his gratitude to all the guests.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY – Daily Current Affairs August 21
5. NTPC Ltd commissioned India’s largest floating solar photo voltaic (PV) project of 25 megawatt (MW) on the water reservoir of its 2 gigawatt (GW) Simhadri project at Visakhapatnam in which state?
D) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: D) Andhra Pradesh
- NTPC Ltd commissioned India’s largest floating solar photo voltaic (PV) project of 25 megawatt (MW) on the water reservoir of its 2 gigawatt (GW) Simhadri project at Visakhapatnam in Andhra Pradesh.
ACQUISITIONS AND MERGERS – Daily Current Affairs August 21
6. Adani Total Gas Ltd has acquired _____ stake in Smartmeters Technologies to aid its gas retailing business?
Answer: C) 50%
- City gas distributor Adani Total Gas Ltd said it has acquired 50% stake in Smartmeters Technologies to aid its gas retailing business.
- Adani Total Gas bought 50% in Smartmeters Technologies Pvt Ltd (SMTPL) for ₹1 crore i.e 10,00,000 equity shares of ₹10 each by way of further issuance of equity shares by SMTPL, according to filing to stock exchanges.
APPOINTMENTS – Daily Current Affairs August 21
7. Who was appointed as CEO of Broadcast Audience Research Council?
A) Naveen Chopra
B) Nakul Chopra
C) Naresh Chopra
D) Nasar Chopra
E) Nagaraj Chopra
Answer: B) Nakul Chopra
- Broadcast Audience Research Council announced the appointment of Nakul Chopra as its chief executive.
- Chopra will replace Sunil Lulla, who is leaving the TV audience body to pursue entrepreneurial ambitions, the council said in a statement.
8. The Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) re-appointed T M Bhasin as chairman of the Advisory Board for Banking and Financial Frauds (ABBFF) of further how many years?
Answer: D) 2
- The Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) re-appointed T M Bhasin as chairman of the Advisory Board for Banking and Financial Frauds (ABBFF), a panel constituted to examine bank frauds of over Rs 50 crore and recommend action.
- The re-appointment of Bhasin is with effect from August 21, for a further period of two years, as per the circular issued by CVC.
AWARDS – Daily Current Affairs August 21
9. ‘Fire In The Mountains’ has won the top award of ‘Best Indie Film’ in the ____ Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM)?
Answer: B) 12th
- Self-made filmmaker Ajitpal Singh’s debut Hindi feature ‘Fire in The Mountains’, which had its Australian premiere at the 12th Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM), has won the top award of ‘Best Indie Film’.
- Apart from being the Closing Film, the film was also nominated in three categories- Best Indie Film, Best Director and Best Actress (Vinamrata Rai) at the festival which was held in a hybrid way in August.
INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS – Daily Current Affairs August 21
10. INS Tabar is taking part in exercises with which country Navy in Portsmouth?
Answer: E) UK
- The Indian Navy’s Talwar-class frigate, INS Tabar, is taking part in exercises with the British Royal Navy.
- It is currently docked into Portsmouth harbour and started the annual bilateral exercise Konkan 2021 on 12 August.
- The frigate conducted a maritime interception exercise with the Royal Navy’s Type 23 frigate HMS Westminster off Portsmouth.
- Exercise Konkan 2021 will be continued between INS Tabar and HMS Westminster after the departure of the former from Portsmouth.
- On entering the harbour, the Final Planning Conference for Exercise Konkan 2021 was held in non-contact form between the Ops Teams of Tabar and Westminster.
NATIONAL AFFAIRS – Daily Current Affairs August 21
11. Which stadium to be named after Gold medalist Neeraj Chopra?
Answer: D) Pune
- A stadium in the premises of Army Sports Institute in Pune is to be named after Gold medalist Neeraj Chopra.
- The stadium will be named as ‘Neeraj Chopra Army Sports Stadium’ in Pune Cantt.
12. Which state cabinet approves credit-linked schemes to boost agriculture, horticulture?
D) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: D) Arunachal Pradesh
- In a bid to boost the state’s economy through agriculture and horticulture, the Arunachal Pradesh cabinet has approved two credit-linked schemes, which will facilitate Rs 300 crore investment in the agro-based sectors.
- The state government has earmarked Rs 60 crore of subsidy each for Atma Nirbhar Krishi Yojana for agriculture and Atma Nirbhar Bagwani Yojana for horticulture during the 2021-22 fiscal, he said.
- The credit-linked programmes will have three components – bank loans, subsidy and beneficiaries’ contribution, Home Minister Bamang Felix told reporters.
- Under the programmes, a farmer can get up to Rs1.6 lakh with no collateral or bank guarantee, while self-help groups can avail of up to Rs 10 lakh, the government spokesperson said.
13. Which state launches 3rd phase of ”Mission Shakti”?
D) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: D) Uttar Pradesh
- When a woman gets encouragement and opportunity, she does not feel shy, and once she becomes a part of a task, she gives her best, Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman said during the launch of the third phase of ”Mission Shakti” here.
14. Country’s highest herbal park inaugurated near Indo-China border in which state?
D) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: C) Uttarakhand
- India’s highest altitude herbal park situated at a height of 11,000 feet was inaugurated at Mana village close to the Indo-China border in Uttarakhand’s Chamoli district, officials said.
- Mana is the last Indian village in Chamoli bordering China and is adjacent to the famous Himalayan temple of Badrinath
- The research wing of Uttarakhand’s forest department has developed the park over three acres of land given by Mana Van panchayat, under the central government’s CAMPA, or Compensatory Afforestation Fund Act, scheme.
- The herbal park has around 40 species found in high altitude alpine areas in the Himalayan region, Chief Conservator of Forest (research) Sanjiv Chaturvedi said.
- Many of these species are endangered and threatened as per the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) red list as well as the State Biodiversity Board.
- It includes many important medicinal herbs also, he said.
- The park is divided into four sections.
- The first section contains species associated with Badrinath (lord Vishnu), which includes Badri Tulsi, Badri Ber, Badri Tree, and sacred tree of Bhojpatra.
- The second section is dedicated to Ashtavarga species which is a group of eight herbs found in the Himalayan region namely Riddhi (Habenaria Intermedia), Vriddhi (Habenaria Edgeworthii), Jeevak (Malaxis Acuminata), Rishbhak (Malaxis Muscifera), Kakoli (Fritillaria Roylei), Ksheer Kakoli (Lilium Polyphyllum), Maida (Ploygonatum Cirrhifolium), and Maha Maida (Polygonatum Verticillatum)
- The third section consists of Saussurea species and includes Brahmakamal (Saussurea Obvallata) which also happens to be the state flower of Uttarakhand.
- The fourth section consists of assorted alpine species including Ateesh, Meethavish, Vankakdi, and Choru.
15. Which state has launched a comprehensive Talent Search Campaign in the field of sports?
D) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: D) Madhya Pradesh
- In Madhya Pradesh, the State Government has launched a comprehensive Talent Search Campaign in the field of sports.
- State government has decided to search for new talented players and train them in 18 sports academies of state.