Daily Current Affairs August 22
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs August 22. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
August 22 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
IMPORTANT DAYS – Daily Current Affairs August 22
1. World Sanskrit Day is observed on which date?
A) August 21
B) August 25
C) August 24
D) August 23
E) August 22
Answer: E) August 22
- Every year on Sawan Poornima in the Hindu calendar, World Sanskrit Day (also known as Sanskrit Diwas) is observed.
- Being the first spoken and oldest language, Sanskrit holds significance in the ancient history of India.
- It is also considered as the Dev Vani which translates to the ‘language of Gods.’
- Despite all this, Sanskrit is not getting the recognition it deserves.
- As a result, World Sanskrit Day is celebrated all across the country in order to promote the resurgence and preservation of this language.
- According to the Hindu calendar, on every Poornima of Shravana month, Sanskrit day is observed.
- The day also marks the holy festival of Raksha Bandhan.
International Day Commemorating the Victims of Acts of Violence Based on Religion or Belief:
- The International Day Commemorating the Victims of Acts of Violence Based on Religion or Belief, observed on August 22, emphasizes the significance of aiding victims of religious persecution as part of the UN’s efforts to promote Human Rights related to religious or belief freedom.
- It was first made official in 2019.
- The resolution was enacted immediately after mosques in New Zealand and churches in Sri Lanka were attacked.
- The resolution was introduced by Poland’s Foreign Minister, Jacek Czaputowicz.
- It was approved by a small group of countries, including the United States, Iraq, Jordan, Canada, Brazil, and Pakistan.
OBITUARY – Daily Current Affairs August 22
2. Syed Shahid Hakim passed away. He was related to which sports?
Answer: E) Football
- Syed Shahid Hakim, a former India footballer and member of the team that played in the 1960 Rome Olympics, died at a hospital in Gulbarga, Karnataka.
- Hakim saab, as he was popularly known, was 82 years old at the time of his death.
- In his more than five-decade association with Indian football, the Dronacharya awardee has also been an assistant coach to the late PK Banerjee during the 1982 Asian Games in Delhi, and also independently has been in charge of the national team during a tournament.
- At the domestic level, his finest hour as coach came when he guided the erstwhile Mahindra & Mahindra to the Durand Cup title in 1998, beating a formidable East Bengal team.
- He has also coached Salgaocar and Hindustan FC.
- His last serious coaching assignment was with Bengal Mumbai FC in 2004-05.
- He has been a FIFA badge holder international referee having officiated in 1988 AFC Asian Cup matches and was also conferred with the prestigious Dhyan Chand Award.
- A former squadron leader of the Indian Air Force, Hakim was also a regional director of Sports Authority of India and his last assignment was as project director in charge of scouting before the 2017 U-17 FIFA World Cup.
3. Former chief minister of which state Kalyan Singh passes away?
C) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: C) Uttar Pradesh
- Former Uttar Pradesh chief minister and BJP veteran Kalyan Singh, who was ailing for some time, died at the Sanjay Gandhi Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGI) in Lucknow.
- Singh, who also served as the Rajasthan governor, was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit of the SGPGI in a critical condition on July 4.
- Singh first became an MLA in 1967.
- Since then, he won the Assembly polls several times, held important posts in the BJP and was appointed the governor of Rajasthan in the last phase of his public life.
APPOINTMENTS – Daily Current Affairs August 21
4. President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader La Ganesan as the Governor of which state?
Answer: E) Manipur
- President Ram Nath Kovind appointed Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader La Ganesan as the Governor of Manipur.
- Ganesan became the 17th Governor of the state as he replaced the incumbent Governor Najma Heptulla.
5. Who is appointed as Executive Director of RBI?
1) Deepak Kumar
2) Ajay Kumar
3) A.K. Choudhary
A) All of these
B) Only 2
C) Only 3
D) Only 1 & 2
E) Only 1
Answer: A) All of these
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has promoted three new officials to the post of executive directors (EDs), the central bank said in an internal circular.
- According to this circular issued by RBI’s human resources department, Ajay Kumar, A.K. Choudhary and Deepak Kumar are the three officers in Grade F who have been promoted as executive directors for the year 2021-22.
- Mint has reviewed a copy of the circular.
- Currently, RBI as 12 executive directors and 30 chief general managers, who come under 4 deputy governors.
- RBI governor Shaktikanta Das’ three-year term is coming to an end in December this year. Das had succeeded former RBI governor Urijit Patel who quit abruptly 3 years ago.
AWARDS – Daily Current Affairs August 21
6. Which Airport wins ‘Best Airport Staff in India & Central Asia’ at Skytrax World Airport Awards 2021?
A) Kempegowda International Airport
B) Varanasi International Airport
C) Hyderabad International Airport
D) Kolkata International Airport
E) Cochin International Airport
Answer: A) Kempegowda International Airport
- Collaborative efforts from members of the BLR Airport ecosystem and passengers’ endorsement of top-quality services saw Kempegowda International Airport Bengaluru (KIAB/ BLR Airport) being adjudged as ‘The Best Airport Staff in India and Central Asia’ at the Skytrax World Airport Awards 2021.
- This award is particularly significant considering the challenging year that the aviation industry has experienced following the outbreak of COVID-19.
- The World Airport Awards began in 1999, when Skytrax launched its first global, Airport customer satisfaction survey.
- A central directive of the survey is for customers to make their own, personal choices as to which airport they consider to be the best, underlining the brand as the Passenger’s Choice Awards.
- Earlier this year, BLR Airport had won a global recognition from Airports Council International (ACI) World’s ‘Voice of the Customer’ initiative and ACI Airport Service Quality Award.
- The Airport was also inducted into the prestigious Airports Council International (ACI) Director General’s Roll of Excellence for the year 2020 for delivering superior customer service.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY – Daily Current Affairs August 21
7. Which IIT has invented the first-ever indigenous semiconductor memory technology that can be adopted for manufacturing at commercial unit of 180nm node in India?
A) IIT Nagpur
B) IIT Kanpur
C) IIT Mandi
D) IIT Bombay
E) IIT Madras
Answer: D) IIT Bombay
- Researchers at the Indian Institute of Technology-Bombay (IIT-B) have invented the first-ever indigenous semiconductor memory technology that can be adopted for manufacturing at commercial unit of 180nm node in India.
- Memory is a critical aspect of the internet-of-things (IoT), a network of objects embedded with sensors or chips for exchange of data over a wireless network without the intervention of humans.
- Memories are used to customize chips by giving them user-specific storage of digital data. IoT connects tiny chips, which are all identical but distinguished by an identity (a barcode) stored in the memory.
- This data is stored within metal-insulator-metal (MIM) memory cells on a silicon integrated circuit memory chip.
- At a time when IoT is disrupting the semiconductor industry worldwide, the semiconductor manufacturing ecosystem led by Semi-Conductor Laboratory (SCL), Mohali, department of space, Government of India, had to import the main technology from abroad.
- However, a team of researchers at IIT-B led by Udayan Ganguly, professor in the department of electrical engineering, along with SCL have successfully demonstrated a CMOS-180nm-based 8-bit memory technology. This technology is adopted for production.
INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS – Daily Current Affairs August 21
8. Indian Naval Ships Shivalik and Kadmatt are scheduled to participate in the annual Exercise MALABAR-21 between the navies of Australia, India, Japan, and which country?
Answer: E) USA
- Indian Naval Ships Shivalik and Kadmatt arrived at Guam, an Island Territory of the USA as part of their ongoing deployment to nations in South East Asia and the Pacific Ocean.
- The two ships are scheduled to participate in the annual Exercise MALABAR-21, between the navies of Australia, India, Japan, and the USA.
- MALABAR series of maritime exercises commenced in 1992 as a bilateral IN-USN exercise and has grown in stature over the years to include four prominent navies in the Pacific and Indian Ocean Region.
- As part of the Exercise, Vice Admiral AB Singh, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief, Eastern Naval Command will have operational discussions with Rear Admiral Leonard “Butch” Dollaga, Commander CTF-74 focussing on developing an action plan and coordinated operations in the maritime domain.
NATIONAL AFFAIRS – Daily Current Affairs August 22
9. Which state govt partners with pvt entity to enhance capacity of SHGs for waste management?
Answer: B) Odisha
- The Odisha government signed a memorandum of understanding with an Ahmedabad-based organisation for technical support to launch a training programme for the ‘Mission Shakti’ self-help groups (SHGs) engaged in solid waste management.
- The move aims at enhancing knowledge and imparting skill to the SHGs by creating a pool of trainers and strengthening the capacities of the functionaries involved in sanitation-related work in cities and towns.
- ‘Mission Shakti’ is the self-help mission for empowering women through the promotion of SHGs to take up various socio-economic activities.
- The state has been prioritising systematic investments for the development of the SHGs to alleviate poverty, he said.
- Jena said Odisha has been focusing on solid waste management in line with the sustainable development goal of making cities clean.
10. Who launches new fund for MSMEs?
A) Narendra Modi
B) Piyush Goyal
C) Nirmala Sitharaman
D) Dharmendra Pradhan
E) Ashwini Vaishnaw
Answer: C)Nirmala Sitharaman
- Uttar Pradesh’s ‘One District One Product’ (ODOP) programme will aid in effective identification of “champion sectors” amongst MSMEs under the ‘Ubharte Sitaare Fund’, union finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman said as she launched the “ambitious” alternate investment fund for MSMEs in the state capital.
- The fund, co-sponsored by Exim Bank and Sidbi, was formed as per a 2020 union budget announcement but its launch was delayed due to Covid-19 and ensuing lockdowns over the last and current year.
- With a corpus of Rs 250 crore with a green shoe option of Rs 250 crore, the fund will look at investing in certain identified MSMEs by way of equity and equity-like products to boost presence of such enterprises in the export market.
11. Who launches 7 indigenous Manipuri food items as part of Make in India?
A) Narendra Modi
B) Piyush Goyal
C) Nirmala Sitharaman
D) Dharmendra Pradhan
E) Prahlad Singh Patel
Answer: E) Prahlad Singh Patel
- Union Minister of State for Food Processing Industries and Jal Shakti Prahlad Singh Patel launched seven indigenous food products of Manipur in Imphal, as part of the Make in India initiative.
- The indigenous food products are Black Rice Laddoo, Black Rice Fruit & Nut Cookies, Hot and Spicy Bhujia, Kabok (puffed rice) Mixture, Manipuri Casava Burfi, Bamboo Shoot Muraba and Fig Laddoo.
- These products were developed under the Incubation Lab project of Manipur Food Industries Corporation Limited (MFICL) in collaboration with TQS Global, Ghaziabad with a budget provision of ₹10 lakh.
- Prahlad Singh said that food processing is a focus area of the Prime Minister, and added that materials available in the North East are mostly from the hills and forests and products from these materials are in high demand in the country and abroad.
- Manipur Textiles, Commerce and Industries minister Thongam Biswajit Singh, who is also chairman of the MFICL, attended the launch and said that unemployment is a big challenge in the state.
- He also expressed the need to provide jobs to youngsters.
- The labelling and packaging of the products are being done at Imphal, Delhi and Mumbai to achieve fine branding and attractive display, an official said.
- For marketing and distribution, MFICIL is taking steps to market locally and outside the state, with outlets at metropolitan cities.
- Last week, for the first time, one metric tonne of organic Manipuri black rice, popularly known as Chakhao, was exported to Europe from Imphal.
- The well-known aromatic rice got a Geographical Indication tag in May 2020.