Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
May 8 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. In which date World Red Cross day celebrated?
a) May 07
b) May 05
c) May 06
d) May 08
e) May 09
Answer: d) May 08
- The World Red Cross Day is marked on May 8 every year to acknowledge the beliefs of the Red Crescent Movement and the International Red Cross.
- The theme of 2021 is ‘Together we are #unstoppable!’
- May 8 is observed as the World Red Cross Day on Henry Dunant’s, the founder of ICRC (International Committee of the Red Cross), birthday.
- Born in 1828, he was also recognised with the prestigious Nobel Peace Prize in 1901.
- The first Red Cross Day was celebrated on May 8, 1948.
- The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) was founded in 1919 in Paris in the aftermath of World War I.
- There were five founding members – Britain, France, Italy, Japan and the United States.
- Over the years, the number grew and now there are 190 recognized National Societies.
- The Red Cross is headquartered at Washington DC in the United States.
International Thalassemia Day observed on 8th May:
- Thalassemia, one of the most prevalent genetic disorders, affects nearly 200 million people across the world, while in India 10,000 children are born with thalassemia every year which approximately amounts to 10% of the total world prevalence of thalassemia-affected children.
- Based on their clinical severity and transfusion requirements, thalassemia syndromes can be classified into three main groups –
1. Transfusion Dependent Thalassemia (TDTs) requires regular blood transfusion for a patient to survive. Without adequate transfusion support, they can suffer several complications and have a short life. This includes beta thalassemia major.
2. Non-transfusion-dependent thalassemia (NTDT) patients do not require lifelong regular transfusions for survival, but they may require occasional or even frequent transfusions in certain clinical settings.
3. Third group includes persons with Thalassemia minor/Trait who have mild anaemia only. They do not need any treatment
Theme for International Thalassemia Day 2021- ‘Addressing Health Inequalities Across the Global Thalassaemia Community’
May 8- World Red Cross Day-‘Together we are #unstoppable!’ (Theme).
2. India’s Arjun Lal and Arvind Singh qualified for Tokyo Olympics. They are related to which sports?
Answer: e) Rowing
- Indian rowers Arjun Lal Jat and Arvind Singh qualified for the Olympics in men’s lightweight double sculls event after finishing second in the final race of the Asia/Oceania Continental Qualifying Regatta in Tokyo.
- Another Indian, Jakar Khan finished fourth in the men’s singles sculls final which offers five Olympic quotas but he missed out.
- Arjun Lal and Arvind will be the only Indian rowers in Tokyo Games which open on July 23 as the country will not participate in other Olympic qualifiers due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
3. Former Hockey Coach M K Kaushik passes away. He won Arjuna award in which year?
Answer: e) 1998
- Former India hockey player and coach MK Kaushik died at the age of 66 for Covid-19.
- Kaushik, a member of the 1980 Moscow Olympics gold-medal winning Indian Team.
- Kaushik had coached both the senior men and women’s teams.
- Under his coaching, India men’s team won a gold medal at the 1998 Asian Games in Bangkok.
- Also, Indian women team had won bronze medal at the Doha Asian Games in 2006 under his coaching.
- He was awarded the Arjuna Award in 1998, before being bestowed with the Dronacharya award in 2002.
M K Kaushik – Former Hockey Coach – Arjuna award winner, 1998.
BANKING AND FINANCE
4. How much amount approved by European Investment Bank for 2nd tranche for Pune Metro Project?
a) Euro 200 million
b) Euro 150 million
c) Euro 100 million
d) Euro 250 million
e) Euro 300 million
Answer: b) Euro 150 million
- The Government of India (GoI) and European Investment Bank (EIB) signed the finance contract for the second tranche of Euro 150 million for the Pune Metro Rail project through a virtual signing ceremony.
- EIB had approved the total loan of Euro 600 million to fund the Pune Metro Rail project.
- The signing ceremony was held in the presence of H.E. Francisco Andre, Secretary of State for Foreign Affairs and Cooperation, Portugal and H.E. Werner Hoyer, President EIB. K. Rajaraman, Additional Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, Ministry of Finance, signed the loan on behalf of the Government of India and Christian Kettel Thomsen, Vice-President, signed the loan on behalf of EIB.
- The Finance Contract for the first tranche of Euro 200 million was signed between GoI and EIB on July 22, 2019.
- The project aims to provide efficient, safe, economic and pollution-free Mass Rapid Transit System in a densely populated area in the city of Pune served with heterogeneous traffic options.
- The financing from EIB will help to fund the construction and operation of Corridor 1 (North-South) – Pimpri Chinchwad Municipal Corporation (PCMC) to Swargate and Corridor 2 (West-East) –Vanaz (Kothrud) to Ramvadi, totaling about 31.25 kilometers (km) and related purchase of a related fleet of metro cars.
European Investment Bank:
Govt. of India +EIB – 2nd tranche of Euro 150 million for Pune Metro Rail Project.
5. RBI has extended the restrictions on Millath Co-operative bank by three months till August 8, 2021. This bank related to which state?
Answer: a) Karnataka
- India’s apex bank Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has given an extension to the restrictions on a Millath Co-operative bank by three months and has further directed it not to write or renew any loans without its approval.
- This is going to affect the customers of this bank as there is a cap on the withdrawal limit too.
- This bank will also not be able to further make any kind of investment.
- The RBI has extended the restrictions on Karnataka-based Millath Co-operative Bank by three months, till August 8, 2021.
- The centre also imposed a withdrawal limit of Rs 1,000 from every savings or current account or any other deposit account.
- The restrictions were first imposed in May 2019 and have been extended thereafter. It was last extended till May 7, 2021.
Reserve Bank of India:
Act: Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
Governor– Shaktikanta Das
Deputy Governors– 4 (T Rabi Sankar, Mahesh Kumar Jain, Michael Debabrata Patra, M. Rajeshwar Rao)
RBI – Extended 3months restriction on Karnataka’s Millath Co-operative Bank.
6. Which Bank announces donation of 250,000 euros for Covid-19 crisis in India?
c) World Bank
Answer: e) EIB
- The European Investment Bank (EIB) announced an emergency donation of 250,000 euros to support India’s response to a second wave of Coronavirus infections by improving access to life-saving equipment and oxygen.
- The member states of the European Union (EU) have already provided equipment and supplies, including large oxygen generation plants, worth 100 million euros and the bloc has extended emergency support worth 2.2 million euros for the WHO to help with testing.
- The funding will go to UNICEF Luxembourg, Red Cross International and Malteser International to acquire life-saving equipment, including oxygen generation plants and oxygen cylinders, urgently needed across India.
- The donation will also help reinforce key emergency services such as ambulances, blood supply and a 24/7 helpline. It will step up communication and awareness campaigns to address misinformation on Covid-19 immunisation.
European Investment Bank:
EU’s Bank – Donate 250,000 euros to support India’s covid-19 crisis.
7. Kami Rita Sherpa creates new record to climb Mt Everest for 25th time. He is related to which country?
Answer d) Nepal
- A 52-year-old Nepali Sherpa climbed the world’s highest peak, Mt Everest, for the 25th time, breaking his own record for summiting the mountain most number of times.
- Kami Rita Sherpa, leading 11 other Sherpas, had undertaken the mission of fixing climbing ropes ahead of the climbing season which begins later in the month, said Mingma Sherpa, Chairperson of Seven Summit Treks which organised the expedition.
- In 2019, he had reached the summit of Mt Everest twice in one month.
- Kami had climbed Mt Everest for the first time in May 1994.
- Between 1994 and 2021, he has summitted Mt Everest 25 times, K2 and Mt Lhotse once each, Mt Manaslu three times, and Mt Cho Oyu eight times.
Prime Minister-K P Sharma Oli
Kami Rita Sherpa – New record to climb Mt Everest for 25th time.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
8. Which digital platform launched ‘COVID-19 Vaccine Finder’ to help citizens check the availability of vaccination slots?
a) Google Pay
e) Amazon Pay
Answer: c) Paytm
- Digital payments platform Paytm has announced the launch of ‘COVID-19 Vaccine Finder,’ an integrated platform to help citizens check the availability of vaccination slots – on its Mini App store.
- The platform will help citizens to check the availability of vaccination slots for a specific date by individually entering different pin codes or district details along with age group (18+ or 45+), the company said in a statement.
- Notably, if slots are unavailable, users can select the option for real-time alerts from Paytm once there’s availability.
- India has opened vaccination for everyone above 18 years, but a shortage in vaccines have resulted in limited appointment slots.
- Users must note that the Paytm ‘COVID-19 Vaccine Finder’ only helps users find slots, and the booking is carried via the CoWIN platform (website and app) and integrated service within the Aarogya Setu app.
Paytm – Launched ‘Covid-19 Vaccine finder’ facility.
9. India will launch a Connectivity Partnership with the EU, cooperation on transport, energy, digital and people-to-people contacts. Who address this event?
a) Ravi Shankar Prasad
b) Subrahmanyam Jaishankar
c) RK Singh
d) Narendra Modi
e) Nitin Gadkari
Answer: d) Narendra Modi
- India will launch a Connectivity Partnership with the EU, aiming at furthering the cooperation on transport, energy, digital and people-to-people contacts.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will collectively interact virtually with all leaders of EU member nations in the India-EU Leaders meeting in Porto, Portugal, as the meeting is first such gathering in the EU+27 format.
- The meeting will provide an opportunity to give a new impetus to trade and investment negotiations between India and the EU.
- The EU is India’s biggest trading partner and the second largest destination for Indian exports.
- Trade between the EU and India has increased 72 per cent in the last decade.
- The EU is also the leading foreign investor in India. Its share in foreign investment inflows has more than doubled in the last decade.
- Some 6,000 European companies are present in India, generating 1.7 million direct and 5 million indirect jobs.
India – Launch European Union Connectivity Partnership.
10. India and which country conducted Passage Exercise (PASSEX) in Southern Arabian Sea?
Answer: c) Indonesia
- The Indian and Indonesian Navies conducted Passage Exercise (PASSEX) in the southern Arabian sea, the Southern Naval Command said.
- The Indian Navy was represented by INS Sharda, an Offshore Patrol Vessel (OPV) with a Chetak helicopter embarked onboard and the Indonesian Navy was represented by KRI Sultan Hasanudin, a 90m Corvette, a press release from the Southern Naval Command said.
- The exercise, aimed at improving interoperability and understanding between both the friendly navies, is regularly conducted by the Indian Navy with units of friendly foreign countries.
- The last PASSEX between the Indian Navy and the Indonesian Navy was conducted on March 13 between INS Kalpeni, IN Dornier, and KRI Sultan Iskandar Muda.
India + Indonesia-PASSEX in Southern Arabian Sea.
11. DCGI approves anti-COVID drug for emergency use. The drug developed by which institute?
- The Drugs Controller General of India has approved an anti-COVID oral drug, developed by DRDO, for emergency use as adjunct therapy in moderate to severe coronavirus patients, the defence ministry.
- It said clinical trials of the drug 2-deoxy-D-glucose (2-DG) showed that it helps in faster recovery of hospitalised patients and reduces supplemental oxygen dependence.
- The drug has been developed by Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences (INMAS), a leading laboratory of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), in collaboration with Dr Reddy’s Laboratories in Hyderabad.
Abbreviation: Defence Research and Development Organisation
Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
Chairman: G. Satheesh Reddy
DIGC – Approves DRDO’s anti-COVID oral drug for emergency use.
12. CBSE launches a new mobile application for psychological counselling of students and parents. What is the name of the app?
a) Dost for Class
b) Dost for Parents
c) Dost for Child
d) Dost for Students
e) Dost for Life
Answer: e) Dost for Life
- Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) has launched a new mobile application for psycho social wellness of students and parents.
- The new app namely “CBSE Dost for Life” has been designed for students of classes 9 to 12 and it can be used for counselling sessions from 10th of May.
- Making a departure from the existing practice of counselling through toll free number across the country, board has designed this facility for the ease, convenience and utility of students and parents with in the safe home environment.
- Through this app, live counselling sessions will be conducted free of cost on Monday, Wednesday and Friday by the trained counsellors.
- The students and parents can choose any of the two time slots – 9.30 AM to 1.30 PM or 1.30 PM to 5.30 PM and connect through a chat box as per their convenience.
- The app will also provide students information on suggestive course guides after ten plus two, tips on mental health and well-being, a corona guide and rap songs.
CBSE – Launches ‘Dost for Life’ for psycho social wellness of students and parents.
13. Rupsi Airport is North India’s 15th airport and which state 7th airport to commence its operations?
Answer: d) Assam
- Commercial operations in Rupsi airport, northeast India’s 15th airport and Assam’s 7th, would start from Saturday.
- An Airport Authority of India (AAI) official said that a trial flight was conducted on the Guwahati-Rupsi-Guwahati route by private Flybig airlines.
- The airport in Assam’s Kokrajhar district has been developed at a cost of Rs 69 crore under the Regional Connectivity Scheme-Ude Desh ka Aam Naagrik (RCS-UDAN) scheme.
- The airport is one of India’s newest in RCS route which would cater local population providing direct connectivity to cities like Guwahati and Kolkata.
- Spread across 337 acres, the newly-developed airport has a terminal building with an area of 3,500 square metres, and its runway is suitable for ATR-72 type aircraft.
Chief Minister-Sarbananda Sonowal
Rupsi Airport – Assam’s 7th Airport starts commercial operations.