Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
May 23 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. World Turtle Day is observed on which date?
A) May 25
B) May 24
C) May 23
D) May 22
E) May 21
Answer: C) May 23
World Turtle Day is observed on May 23:
- The day is celebrated to make people aware of turtle and tortoise and their habitats.
- Every year since 2000, American Tortoise Rescue (ATR), a nonprofit organization established in 1990, sponsors the celebrations for World Turtle Day.
- The theme for this year “Turtles Rock!” encourages a worldwide audience to see turtles as more than just rocks with legs.
International Day to End Obstetric Fistula:
- International Day to End Obstetric Fistula – 23 May.
- Obstetric fistula is one of the most serious and tragic childbirth injuries.
- A hole between the birth canal and bladder and/or rectum, it is caused by prolonged, obstructed labour without access to timely, high-quality medical treatment.
- It leaves women with incontinence problems, and often leads to chronic medical problems, depression, social isolation and deepening poverty.
- This problem is preventable with the correct medical assistance and its occurrence is a violation of human rights and a reminder of gross inequities.
- The theme for this year is “Women’s rights are human rights! End fistula now!”
“Ending Obstetric Fistula by 2030”
2. The 2021 edition of the Asia Cup will be held in which year?
Answer: D) 2023
- The 2021 edition of the Asia Cup will now be held in 2023 due to a lack of window in a rejigged cricket calendar that is constantly subject to change amid an evolving COVID-19 situation.
- This year’s continental tournament was moved from Pakistan to Sri Lanka.
2021 Asia Cup – Postpone to 2023 due to packed schedule.
3. Atletico Madrid defeat Valladolid to win La Liga 2020-21 title. This match is related to which sports?
B) Table Tennis
Answer: E) Football
- Goals from Angel Correa and Luis Suarez helped Atletico Madrid defeat Valladolid and as a result, Diego Simeone’s side won the La Liga 2020-21 title.
- Atletico Madrid defeated Valladolid 2-1 and as a result, the side secured the title with 86 points from 38 matches. Real Madrid won 2-1 against Villarreal and as a result, the side finished at the second spot with 84 points.
- This is the 11th time that Atletico Madrid has won the La Liga title.
- The last time they had won La Liga was way back in the 2013-14 season.
Atletico Madrid – Defeat Valladolid to win La Liga 2020-21 title.
4. The Badminton Association of India (BAI) president Himanta Biswa Sarma was elected to the BWF council for a how many year period?
Answer: B) 4
- The Badminton Association of India (BAI) president Himanta Biswa Sarma was elected to the BWF council for a four-year period till 2025.
- Sarma, who is also the Vice President of Badminton Asia, got 236 votes as 31 members contested for 20 places in the Council at the virtual AGM and Council election of BWF.
- BAI was represented by President Himanta Biswa Sarma and Adviser VKVerma along with General Secretary Ajay K Singhania and Omar Rashid as observers during the meeting.
Himanta Biswa Sarma – Elect to BWF Council.
5. Who is appointed as next ambassador of India to Liberia?
A) Sathish Kumar Yadav
B) Pradip Kumar Yadav
C) Sarath Kumar Yadav
D) Siva Kumar Yadav
E) Prem Kumar Yadav
Answer: B) Pradip Kumar Yadav
Pradip Kumar Yadav – Next ambassador of India to Liberia.
6. Which sports organisation wins Etienne Glichitch award?
A) Table Tennis India
B) Boxing India
C) Hockey India
D) Athletics India
E) Wrestling India
Answer: C) Hockey India
- Hockey India was recognized with the Etienne Glichitch Award by the International Hockey Federation (FIH) during the virtual conference organised as part of the 47th FIH Congress.
- The FIH Honorary Awards were given in recognition to numerous individuals, teams and organisations for their outstanding contributions to the sport of hockey.
- One among the three National Associations that were honoured with different awards for their outstanding efforts, Hockey India was awarded for their remarkable contribution to the growth and development of hockey through innovative ideas.
- The award is given once in two years by the EB on the recommendation of the awards panel.
Hockey India – Etienne Glichitch award.
7. Shaji.N.M has been awarded the India Biodiversity Award 2021 in the individual category of ‘Conservation of domesticated species’. He was related to which state?
C) Madhya Pradesh
E) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: D) Kerala
- Shaji.N.M., fondly called as ‘Tuber Man’ of Kerala has been awarded the India Biodiversity Award 2021 in the individual category of ‘Conservation of domesticated species’.
- Mr. Shaji, who conserves a wide array of around 200 tuber crops including greater yam, lesser yam, elephant foot yam, arrow root, colocasia, sweet potato, cassava and Chinese potato in his farm has received State awards seven times for his efforts.
- He has also received the Plant Genome Savior Reward 2015, instituted by PPV&FR Authority, New Delhi.
- The award, carrying ₹2 lakh cash prize and citation, was declared on May 22, 2021 during the International Day for Biological Diversity (IDB) 2021.
Shaji .N.M. – India Biodiversity Award 2021.
8. Solar Industries India Ltd to deliver first lot of how many grenades to Indian Army?
Answer: A) 40,000
- Union Government’s bold decision to open up the ammunition manufacturing sector for private agencies is paying rich dividends as the Indian Army is all set to receive the first consignment of high-quality grenades manufactured by Nagpur-based Economic Explosives Limited.
- It is for the first time in the Indian history a private company is manufacturing ammunition for the Armed Forces.
- Economic Explosives Limited, a subsidiary of Solar Industries India Limited, was recently awarded the contract of manufacturing 10 lakh grenades worth Rs 400 crore for the Indian Army.
- The first consignment of 40,000 Multi-Mode Hand Grenades (MMHG) will replace the British era vintage hand grenades being used by the country’s Army till date.
- Armed Forces in many Commonwealth Nations, including India, are still using the vintage hand grenades designed by the British way back in 1915.
- The new MMHG is designed jointly by the Terminal Ballistics Research Laboratory (TBRL), a laboratory of the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) and Economic Explosives Limited.
- The new grenades come with dual mode – defensive and offensive.
- In defensive mode, the grenade is assembled with its fragmenting sleeve.
- This mode is used while the soldier is in shelter and the enemy is in the open area. Its lethal radius is achieved up to eight meters from the point of burst.
- In the offensive mode, the grenade is without its fragmenting sleeve and is used for low intensity conflict as it offers stunning effect.
- The mode is used when the soldier is in attacking mode and its lethal radius is up to five meters from the point of burst. Besides, they are lightweight and can be primed and unprimed many times without affecting the functional efficiency.
Solar Industries India Ltd – Deliver first lot of 40,000 grenades to Indian Army.
9. Which state launched a Covid Test Report website to help people check their Covid test status?
C) Madhya Pradesh
E) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: A) Odisha
- Odisha Government launched a Covid Test Report website to help people check their Covid test status.
- Covid Test Report website is part of the 5T initiative to ensure that the test report status is available to people in a very convenient way.
- To ensure the privacy of the reports, OTP will be sent to the registered number.
- This IT initiative by Health @ E&IT dept now eliminates the need for people having to physically visit the testing centre to get their covid report.
Chief Minister – Naveen Patnaik
Governor – Ganeshi Lal
Odisha – Covid test report website.
10. Which Minister announced a hike in variable dearness allowance for more than 1.5 crore workers in the central sphere by Rs 105 to Rs 210 per month?
A) Labour Minister
B) Finance Minister
C) Home Minister
D) External Affairs Minister
E) Civil Aviation Minister
Answer: A) Labour Minister
- The Ministry of Labour & Employment announced a hike in variable dearness allowance for more than 1.5 crore workers in the central sphere by Rs 105 to Rs 210 per month.
The hike, which will be effective from April 1, 2021, will also result in an increase in rate of minimum wages for central sphere employees and workers.
- It will be for scheduled employment in central sphere and applicable to the establishments under the authority of central government, railway administration, mines, oil fields, major ports or any corporation established by the central government.
- These rates are equally applicable to contract and casual employees/workers
- The enforcement of Minimum Wages Act in the central sphere is ensured through the Inspecting Officers of Chief Labour Commissioner (Central) across the country for employees engaged in the scheduled employment in the central sphere.
Ministers of State Independent Charge of Labour and Employment:
Minister: Santosh Kumar Gangwar
Constituency: Bareilly, Uttar Pradesh
Labour Ministry – Hike Variable Dearness Allowance For Workers In Central Sphere.
11. Which state has announced Chief Minister Vatsalya Yojana for orphaned children who have lost their parents due to Covid-19?
C) Madhya Pradesh
E) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: A) Uttarakhand
- Uttarakhand Chief Minister Tirath Singh Rawat has announced Chief Minister Vatsalya Yojana for orphaned children who have lost their parents due to Covid-19.
- Under the scheme, the State Government will make arrangements for their maintenance, education and training for employment up to the age of 21 years.
- Chief minister said that such orphaned children of the state will be given a maintenance allowance of 3000 rupees per month.
Capital: Dehradun (Winter), Gairsain (Summer)
CM: Tirath Singh Rawat
Governor: Baby Rani Maurya
Uttarakhand – Vatsalya Yojana for children orphaned due to Corona.