Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
May 19 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. Prasanta Mohapatra passed away. He was related to which field?
Answer: E) Sports
- Cricketer Prasanta Mohapatra, former Captain of the OdishaRanji team and BCCI Referee, died in a hospital here while undergoing treatment for covid.
- Prasanta had made his Ranji Trophy debut for Odisha against Bihar in 1990 and had also played for the East Zone in the Duleep Trophy and Deodhar Trophy.
- He had played 45 First class Matches, 17 List A Matches in his career and also officiated 48 First class Matches, 45 List A Matches, 49 T20 Matches as a Match Referee.
- He was a Level-2 Coach of BCCI and had worked as a Batting Coach of Odisha Cricket Academy.
- Odisha Cricket Association President Pankaj Lohan Mohanty, Secretary Sanjay Behera and other officer bearers of Odisha Cricket Association offered their condolences to the bereaved family and prayed the almighty to give immense strength to his family to overcome this personal crisis in their life.
Prashant Mohapatra – Cricketer, BCCI Referee.
2. What is the rank of India in EY’s Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index?
Answer: C) 3
- India has moved a notch higher at the third spot on EY’s Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index due to an exceptional performance on the solar photovoltaic (PV) front.
- The observations are as per the 57th EY Renewable Energy Country Attractiveness Index (RECAI) released by EY globally.
- The US retains top position on RECAI 57 and is expected to hold its position under President Joe Biden.
- Similarly, China has remained a buoyant market and maintains the second position, adding 72.4GW of new wind power in 2020, as developers rushed to beat an onshore wind subsidy cut.
BANKING AND FINANCE
3. Which insurance announced the launch of a hyper-flexible savings plan provide guaranteed regular income plus flexible bonus pay outs?
A) Cholamandalam MS General Insurance
B) Bajaj Allianz General Insurance.
C) ICICI Lombard General Insurance
D) Apollo Munich Health Insurance
E) Aditya Birla Sun Life Insurance
Answer: E) Aditya Birla Sun Life Insurance
- Aditya Birla Sun Life Insurance (ABSLI), the life insurance subsidiary of Aditya Birla Capital Limited (ABCL), announced the launch of a hyper-flexible savings
plan – ABSLI Vision LifeIncome Plus Plan that provides guaranteed regular income plus flexible bonus pay outs.
- This non-linked participating individual plan has been designed to offer various plan options which can be tailor-made to perfectly suit customers’ unique financial needs across different life-stages.
- This savings plan provides a customer with the comfort of a guaranteed regular income for up to 30 years to help them achieve their evolving life goals while reaping the benefits of a comprehensive life insurance cover.
- Additionally, the plan also brings an upside through completely flexible bonus pay-outs which can be accumulated for wealth creation or withdrawn at the customer’s convenience for an instant access to their money.
- ABSLI Vision LifeIncome Plus Plan offers tax-free guaranteed additional income for life, besides providing the benefit of liquidity or cash in hand whenever one requires funds.
Aditya Birla Sun Life Insurance:
Headquarters: Mumbai Maharashtra
MD & CEO: Kamlesh Rao
Aditya Birla Sun Life Insurance – Vision LifeIncome Plus.
4. Which bank launches its fully digitized automated LPS for MSME and Agri lending?
A) IndusInd Bank
B) HDFC Bank
C) DBS Bank India
D) ICICI Bank
E) IDBI Bank
Answer: E) IDBI Bank
- IDBI Bank said that it has launched its fully digitized, end-to-end, Loan Processing System (LPS) for its MSME and Agri products.
- This new loan processing system seamlessly integrates with data fintechs, bureau validations, document storage/retrieval, account opening/management, customer notifications, and portfolio management capabilities along with embodied policy/knock off parameters.
- These features of the fully digitized and automated loan processing system are further aimed at providing a superior tech-enabled banking experience to bank’s MSME & Agri. customers.
- The platform is designed to incorporate knock-off criteria & credit policy parameters for superior underwriting standards.
- HSBC India’s digital banking for corporate customers.
- HSBC India has launched digital banking solutions for its corporate customers.
- The API-enabled solutions provide an accelerated on-boarding experience, replacing the documentation process with a digital platform, including the use of electronic signatures, as well as leveraging existing data assets to complete account opening requirement.
- HSBC SmartServe is a newly digitised account on-boarding and life cycle management solution.
- HSBC IntelliSign enables corporate clients to execute product on-boarding and lending documents digitally.
- It also offers an E-stamp duty feature and E-signature solutions based on Aadhaar e-verification and DSC signing as per legal provisions in India
MD & CEO: Rakesh Sharma
Tagline: Banking for All “Aao SocheinBada”
IDBI Bank – Launch its fully digitized automated LPS for MSME and Agri lending.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
5. Which company receives order from CMRL for nine-km stretch of Chennai Metro’s underground Line?
C) TATA Projects Limited
E) L & T
Answer: C) TATA Projects Limited
- TATA Projects Limited, one of India’s fastest growing and most admired infrastructure companies, announced it has recently received a prestigious order from Chennai Metro Rail Limited (CMRL) for an important nine-km stretch (Phase 2/ Corridor 3) work of Chennai Metro’s underground Line from Venugopal Nagar to Kellys Station along with other associated works.
- The work involves construction of nine-kms twin bored tunnels, totaling 18-kms from TBM retrieval shaft near Venugopal Nagar to Kellys Station and construction of diaphragm walls of station box and entry/exit structures of Madhavaram Milk colony, Murari Hospital, Ayanavaram and Purasaiwakkam High Road Stations, including launching and retrieval shafts as required in the mentioned metro stations
Tata Projects Limited:
Vice-President and BU Head ( metros and Tunnels) : Raman Kapil
Tata Projects – Order from CMRL for nine-km stretch of Chennai Metro’s underground Line.
6. Which company wins Dubai’s Taqdeer Award for providing best working conditions for labour?
C) HP India
E) L & T
Answer: E) L & T
- Indian engineering and construction conglomerate, Larsen & Toubro
(L&T) was honoured at the fourth edition of Dubai’s Taqdeer Awards for providing the best working conditions for workmen at their various project sites across the UAE.
- L&T was awarded a three-star grading and their workmen honoured at a ceremony held at the Sheikh Rashid Hall of the Dubai World Trade Centre.
- The Taqdeer trophy was received by T. A. Rao, Vice President and Head, Middle East – Power Transmission & Distribution business vertical, L&T from Maj-Gen Obaid Muhair Bin Surour, Chairman of Taqdeer Awards and Deputy Director-General of the General Directorate of Residency and Foreigners Affairs (GDRFA).
- A total of 77 workmen and companies were recognised in the five categories.
- Launched in 2016 by the Government of Dubai, the Taqdeer Awards aim to promote
excellence in labour welfare practices and safeguard labour rights to increase productivity and efficiency across different sectors.
- The organisers announced that the Dubai government was going to provide Excellence Cards to support and encourage the companies that received high Taqdeer Award ratings to continue their journey of excellence of caring for their workmen.
- The award ceremony was attended by government department heads, senior officials, representatives of regional and international organisations, professionals from both public and private sectors, members of the diplomatic corps and the media.
L&T – Dubai’s Taqdeer Award for providing best working conditions for labour.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
7. Which country successfully launches new ocean observation satellite Haiyang-2D?
Answer: C) China
- China successfully sent a new ocean-monitoring satellite into orbit as part of its effort to build an all-weather and round-the-clock dynamic ocean environment monitoring system which would provide early warning on marine disasters.
- The satellite was launched by a Long March-4B rocket carrying the Haiyang-2D (HY-2D) satellite from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Centre in northwest China.
- The HY-2D will form a constellation with the HY-2B and HY-2C satellites to build an all-weather and round-the-clock dynamic ocean environment monitoring system of high frequency and medium and large scale.
- The constellation will support the country’s early warning and prediction of marine disasters, sustainable development and utilisation of ocean resources, effective response to global climate change as well as ocean research.
- The HY-2D was developed by the China Academy of Space Technology, and the carrier rocket by the Shanghai Academy of Spaceflight Technology.
- Launch was the 370th by the Long March rocket series.
- China’s space programme made significant advancements last week when it landed a spacecraft on Mars, becoming the second country after the United States to have a rover on the red planet.
China – Successfully launch new ocean observation satellite Haiyang-2D.
8. Which state Chief Minister released Socio Economic Survey 2020-21 at his camp office?
A) Uttar Pradesh
D) Madhya Pradesh
E) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: E) Andhra Pradesh
- Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy released Socio Economic Survey 2020-21 at his camp office.
- Finance Minister Buggana Rajendranath Reddy, Planning Ex-officio Secretary Vijaya Kumar and other officials were present.
- The salient features of the survey are that as per the Advance Estimates for the year 2020-21, the GSDP growth of AP at current Prices is 1.58% against Nation’s growth of – 3.8%.
- The Per Capita Income of Andhra Pradesh at current prices increased to Rs.1,70,215 in 2020-21 from Rs.1,68,480 in 2019-20.
- All India per capita income for 2019-20 stands at Rs.1,34,186.
- Sustainable Development Goals(SDGs) UN has sponsored 17 SDGs to be achieved by the year 2030 and AP state improved its position rank from 4 in 2018 to Rank 3 in 2019 (latest) in overall SDG ranking among states in the country.
- In the latest (2019) rankings of NITI Aayog, AP secured 1st rank in 2 SDGs – Goal-6 (Clean water and Sanitation) and in Goal-16 (Peace, Justice and Strong Institutions) AP state secured 2nd rank in 4 SDGs: Goal- 3(Good Health), Goal- 8(Decent economic growth), Goal-13(Climate change) and Goal-14(Life below water) and state secured 3rd rank in 1 SDG- Goal-1(No Poverty).
Andhra Pradesh CM announces medical oxygen manufacturing policy:
- Aiming to double oxygen manufacturing capacity to 700 tonnes by refurbishing sick units for producing oxygen, Andhra Pradesh Chief Minister YS Jagan Mohan Reddy has unveiled the Andhra Pradesh Industrial Gases and Medical Oxygen Manufacturing Policy 2021-22.
- The main aim of the policy is to augment the Oxygen Manufacturing capacity from the existing 360 metric tonnes (MT) capacity to 700 MT.
- The policy targets to setup a total of at least 50 Pressure Swing Adsorption (PSA) oxygen plants.
- Features of the Policy include that this policy aims to distribute the manufacturing across the state by zoning methodology.
- The incentives in the policy allow for subsidizing Capex (30 percent or up to 30 lakh/MT) as well as Opex (power subsidy up to INR 2 per unit) of the unit allowing them to maintain profitability during these uncertain times.
- The policy aims to support all the technologies such as PSA (pressure swing adsorption), Liquid Oxygen, and Helium Mixed Oxygen (Heliox).
- The policy aims to revive the sick PSA units to provide quick augmentation of the oxygen manufacturing capacity.
- The policy will be effective from April 15, 2021, and will be valid for a period of 1 year.
- The policy incentives first movers and the time period for commissioning PSA, Lox and Heliox are within 6 months, 18 months, and 24 months respectively from the date of sanction
Capital: Visakhapatnam (executive), Amaravati (legislative), Kurnool (judicial)
CM: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
Y S Jagan Mohan Reddy – Release Socio Economic Survey 2020-21.
9. NSE Academy has collaborated with Bharathiar University for creating a Centre of Excellence for the Capital Markets. Bharathiar University is related to which state?
A) Tamil Nadu
D) Madhya Pradesh
E) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: A) Tamil Nadu
- NSE Academy Limited (NAL), a wholly owned subsidiary of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Bharathiar University, Coimbatore, Tamilnadu.
- NSE Academy has collaborated with Bharathiar University for creating a Centre of Excellence for the Capital Markets.
- This Centre of Excellence is crafted to prepare the faculty of Bharathiar University and its affiliated colleges to enhance their knowledge in the domain of Financial Services.
- NSE Academy will work closely with Bharathiar University to provide the industry ready curriculum which has been designed by industry experts.
- The Centre of Excellence will also facilitate the faculty and students to have a regular interaction with industry practitioners through workshops, industry sessions and hackathons.
NSE Academy + Bharathiar University – Creating a Centre of Excellence for the Capital Markets.
10. Which state became the first state in the country to allow reimbursement of GST paid on Covid-related donations made to the state and state-run facilities?
A) Tamil Nadu
D) Madhya Pradesh
E) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: C) Haryana
- Haryana became the first state in the country to allow reimbursement of goods and services tax (GST) paid on Covid-related donations made to the state and state-run facilities.
- This will be applicable till June 30.
- The move is aimed at encouraging efforts by corporations, non-government organisations (NGOs) and individuals and facilitating donations of items such as oxygen concentrators, Covid-19 vaccines, Remdesivir injections, etc. as the country battles the intense second Covid-19 wave.
- Haryana will reimburse GST already paid on such Covid-19 related items, subject to conditions.
- Reimbursement will be available only in cases where Covid-19 related material is donated free of cost to the government of Haryana, state-run hospitals, or any hospitals or institutions permitted by the state government to receive such material through Haryana’s Health and Family Welfare department.
- Besides, the health and family welfare department of the state will issue a certificate of such donations, which will need to be submitted by the donors to the Excise and Taxation department of the state to claim refunds.
- The 15 items eligible for reimbursement include oxygen concentrator, oxygen filling systems, oxygen storage tanks, oxygen generators, vaccine, Remdesivir, ventilators, etc.
Capital : Chandigarh
CM: Manohar Lal Khattar
Governor : Satyadev Narayan Arya
Haryana – First state to reimburse GST on Covid-related donations.
11. Who inaugurates jumbo Covid-care facility with gaseous oxygen in Burnpur, West Bengal?
A) Dharmendra Pradhan
B) Amit Shah
C) Nirmala Sitharaman
D) Harsh Vardhan
E) Dr Thaawarchand Gehlot
Answer: A) Dharmendra Pradhan
- Union Minister of Steel and Petroleum & Natural Gas Shri Dharmendra Pradhan dedicated a 200-bedded Jumbo COVID Care Facility by SAIL-ISP Burnpur, West Bengal for care of COVID patients.
- The Minister of State for Steel Shri Faggan Singh Kulaste, Minister of State for Environment, Forest & Climate Change Shri Babul Supriyo, South Asansol MLA MsAgnimitraPaul, and SAIL Chairperson Ms Soma Mondal were among those present in the virtual ceremony.
Petroleum and Natural Gas and Steel:
Minister: Dharmendra Pradhan
Constituency: Rajya Sabha MP, Madhya Pradesh
CM: Mamata Banerjee
Governor: Jagdeep Dhankhar
Shri Dharmendra Pradhan – Jumbo Covid-care facility with gaseous oxygen in Burnpur, West Bengal.