Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
May 20 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. World Bee Day is observed on which date?
A) 21 May
B) 22 May
C) 23 May
D) 24 May
E) 20 May
Answer: E) 20 May
- The fourth observance of World Bee Day will be celebrated – in the midst of a still ongoing pandemic – with a virtual event organized by the FAO on 20 May 2021 under the theme “Bee engaged – Build Back Better for Bees”.
World Metrology Day is observed on 20 May:
- World Metrology Day is an annual celebration of the signature of the Metre Convention on 20 May 1875 by representatives of seventeen nations.
- The Convention set the framework for global collaboration in the science of measurement and in its industrial, commercial and societal applications.
- The original aim of the Metre Convention – the world-wide uniformity of measurement – remains as important today as it was in 1875.
- The theme for World Metrology Day 2021 is Measurement for Health.
International HR Day 2021:
- The International Human Resources (HR) Day is celebrated on 20 May. This year, all over the world, professionals and organisations will observe the second annual International Human Resources Day.
- It is a global recognition of the dedicated people who play a vital role across all industries.
- This day is marked for all the HR professionals who put up a positive contribution for individuals and organizations across the world.
- Despite the pandemic and its crisis, HR’s are evolving and ushering towards a new era of employee-centric work culture.
- Because of this reason, the World Federation of People Management Associations (WFPMA) has chosen “HR Shaping the New Future” as the 2021 theme.
2. Sami Khedira announces retirement. He was related to which sports?
Answer: E) Football
- World cup winner Sami Khedira will retire from Football when the Bundesliga season finishes this weekend.
- Khedira, a World Cup winner in 2014, made the last of his 77 appearances for his national team in the infamous 2-0 defeat to South Korea four years later in Russia, when the holders crashed out at the group stage.
- The 34-year-old started his career at Stuttgart, where he won the 2007 Bundesliga title.
- He joined Real Madrid after the 2010 World Cup finals, recovering from a serious knee injury at the start of 2013-14 to win that season’s Champions League final.
- Khedira won a World Cup winners medal in Brazil despite having to withdraw from Germany’s starting line-up before the final after picking up an injury during the warm-up.
Sami Khedira – Germany’s World Cup winner midfielder announces retirement.
3. Jagannath Pahadia passed away. In Below option, which is not True?
1) He was the Governor of Haryana from 2009 to 2014
2) Former Rajasthan chief minister
3) He was the Governor of Madhya Pradesh from 1989 to 1990
A) Only 1 & 3
B) Only 1 & 2
C) Only 2
D) Only 3
E) Only 1
Answer: D) Only 3
- Former Rajasthan chief minister and ex-governor of Haryana and Bihar Jagannath Pahadia passed away due to Covid-related complications at a Gurugram hospital
Pahadia served as Rajasthan chief minister from June 9, 1980 to July 14, 1981.
- He was elected as an MP in 1957, 1967, 1971 and 1980 in worked in the capacity of Member of Legislative Assembly in 1980, 1985, 1999 and 2003.
- He was also a minister at the Centre.
- He was also the Governor of Bihar from 1989 to 1990 and the Governor of Haryana from 2009 to 2014.
BANKING AND FINANCE
4. Which insurance company provides all-inclusive support to its employees for navigating the Covid-19 pandemic crisis?
A) Cholamandalam MS General Insurance
B) Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance.
C) ICICI Lombard General Insurance
D) Apollo Munich Health Insurance
E) Digit General Insurance
Answer: B) Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance.
- As India grapples with distressing surge in Covid-19 caseloads, employee wellbeing has become the utmost priority for corporate India.
- Bajaj Allianz Life, one of India’s leading private life insurer has introduced several support initiatives to help its employees navigate through these challenging times.
- The Company also runs several wellbeing programs and advisories on its social media platform for all its stakeholders, including its employees.
- The Company will offer financial support up to Rs 1 crore to the family of employees
impacted by Covid-19 pandemic.
- This payout will be over and above the group term life insurance plan.
- The Company will also provide education assistance of up to Rs 2 lacs per annum, for two children up to graduation level, and offer continued health insurance benefits to family of the deceased employee up to 5 years.
- In addition, the company has increased minimum term life cover benefit to Rs 20 lakh from Rs 10 lakh and has also offered an added Rs 1 lac Covid Heath Insurance cover to its employees, over and above the existing Mediclaim policy cover.
- The Company will also make payouts up to Rs 20,000 per employee through the Mediclaim policy for doctor consultation, tele medicines, testing etc during the home quarantine period.
- The Company has launched a COVID helpline exclusively to support its employees and their families for emergency support on hospitalization, oxygen, medicine, doctor consultations and other requirements.
- The Company has entered into a tie up with service partner Doctor24x7 to enable general & specialist medical consultation for employees and their family members at any time of the day on their health issues and request for diagnosis and recommendation.
- The Company has also tied-up with RoundGlass, a global holistic wellbeing specialist for its employees’ mental and emotional wellbeing including physical, financial, professional, and emotional wellbeing.
Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance:
Hq: Pune, Maharashtra
MD & CEO : Tarun Chugh
Bajaj Allianz Life Insurance – All-inclusive support to its employees for navigating the Covid-19 pandemic crisis.
5. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) gives how much amount grant to Tonga to support safe COVID-19 vaccination?
A) $1.5 million
B) $2.5 million
C) $3.5 million
D) $4.5 million
E) $5.5 million
Answer: E) $5.5 million
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the governments of Tonga and Tuvalu have signed separate grant agreements to support the rollout of safe and effective vaccines against coronavirus disease (COVID-19).
- A $5.5 million grant agreement with Tonga was signed by Minister of Finance and ADB Governor Tevita Lavemaau and ADB Director General for the Pacific Leah Gutierrez.
- A $1.5 million grant agreement with Tuvalu was signed by ADB Executive Director Tony McDonald on behalf of the Government of Tuvalu and Ms Gutierrez.
Currency: Tongan paʻanga
Currencies: Australian dollar, Tuvaluan dollar
Asian Development Bank:
Member Countries: 68
Founded Year: 1966
Headquarters: Manila, Philippines
Head: Masatsugu Asakawa
The Asian Development Bank – $5.5 million grant to Tonga to support safe COVID-19 vaccination.
6. Pinarayi Vijayan was sworn as Kerala Chief Minister for _____ time?
Answer: D) 2nd
- Pinarayi Vijayan was sworn as Kerala Chief Minister for the second time in the shadow of the Covid-19 crisis in the state.
- The oath ceremony took place with Covid protocols in place at the Central Stadium in Thiruvananthapuram.
- Governor Arif Mohammed Khan administered the oath of office to 76-year-old Vijayan. It is the second stint of the Marxist veteran in the top office.
- Along with Vijayan, 20 ministers of the new Kerala cabinet, including NCP’s AK Saseendran, Indian National League’s (INL) Ahammad Devarkovil, R Bindu and PA Mohammed Riyas, also took oath.
- The new Left Democratic Front (LDF) government bucked the trends, as Kerala usually alternates between the Left and a Congress government, by registering a dominant win in the 6 April assembly polls.
- The LDF won 99 of 140 seats.
- Opposition Congress-UDF leaders kept away from the function in view of the spike in coronavirus cases.
CM: Pinarayi Vijayan
Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
Pinarayi Vijayan – Take oath as Kerala Chief Minister for 2nd time.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
7. Which armed forces has designed an Oxygen Recycling System, ORS to mitigate the current oxygen crisis?
A) Indian Army
C) Indian Air Force
D) Indian Coast Guard
E) Indian Navy
Answer: E) Indian Navy
- Indian Navy has designed an Oxygen Recycling System, ORS to mitigate the current oxygen crisis.
- The Diving School of the Southern Naval Command of the Indian Navy has conceptualised and designed the System to alleviate the existing Oxygen shortage.
- It is designed to extend the life of the existing medical oxygen cylinders two to four times, using the fact that only a small percentage of oxygen inhaled by a patient is actually absorbed by the lungs, the rest being exhaled along with carbon-dioxide.
- The overall cost of the ORS prototype has been capped at 10 thousand rupees against an envisaged saving of three thousand rupees per day due to the recycling of oxygen.
Indian Navy – Design ‘Oxygen Recycling System’ to mitigate current oxygen crisis.
8. INS Rajput to be decommissioned at Naval dockyard in Visakhapatnam. It commissioned in which year?
Answer: D) 1980
- A glorious era will come to an end with the decommissioning of the first destroyer of the Indian Navy – INS Rajput.
- INS Rajput, the lead ship of the Kashin-class destroyers built by the erstwhile USSR was commissioned on May 4, 1980 and has rendered yeoman service to the Indian Navy for over 41 years.
- INS Rajput will be decommissioned at a solemn ceremony at Naval Dockyard, Visakhapatnam.
- INS Rajput was constructed in the 61 Communards Shipyard in Nikolaev (present-day Ukraine) under her original Russian name ‘Nadezhny’ meaning ‘Hope’.
- The keel of the ship was laid on September 11, 1976 and it was launched on September 17, 1977.
- The ship was commissioned as INS Rajput on May 4, 1980 at Poti, Georgia by IK Gujral, the Ambassador of India to USSR with Capt Gulab Mohanlal Hiranandani as her first Commanding Officer.
- Over her four decades of glorious service to the nation, the ship has the distinction of serving in both Western and Eastern Fleets.
- With the motto “Raj Karega Rajput” firmly etched in their minds and indomitable spirit, the gallant crew of INS Rajput have remained ever vigilant and always ‘on call’ to protect the maritime interest and sovereignty of the nation.
- The ship has participated in several operations aimed at keeping the nation secure.
- Some of these include Operation Aman off Sri Lanka to assist IPKF, Operation Pawan for patrolling duties off the coast of Sri Lanka, Operation Cactus to resolve hostage situation off the Maldives, and Operation Crowsnest off Lakshadweep.
- In addition, the ship participated in numerous bilateral and multinational exercises.
- It was also the first Indian Naval Ship to be affiliated with an Indian Army regiment – the Rajput Regiment.
- In her glorious 41-years, the ship had 31 Commanding Officers at her helm with the last CO taking charge of the ship on Aug 14, 2019.
- As the sun sets on May 21, the Naval Ensign and the Commissioning Pennant will be hauled down for the last time onboard INS Rajput, symbolising the decommissioning
INS Rajput – Decommission at Naval dockyard in Vizag.
9. Dr. Harsh Vardhan chairs the opening session of which edition of Conference of Health Ministers of Commonwealth Countries?
Answer: B) 33
- Dr. Harshvardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare chaired the opening session of the 33rd meeting of Health Ministers of Commonwealth countries themed “Commonwealth Response to COVID-19: Ensuring Equitable Access to Vaccines and Building Resilience for Health Systems and Emergencies,” through video conference
Ms. Patricia Scotland, Secretary General of the Commonwealth, Dr. TedrosAdhanom Ghebreyesus, Director General of WHO and Health Ministers of member states were present at the meet.
- The Union Health Minister was assisted by senior officials of the Health Ministry.
Health and Family Welfare, Science and Technology; and Earth Sciences:
Minister: Dr Harsh vardhan
Constituency: Chandni Chowk, Delhi
Dr. Harsh Vardhan – Chair the opening session of the 33rd Conference of Health Ministers of Commonwealth Countries.