Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
May 16 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. Sikkim statehood day is observed on which date?
A) May 14
B) May 16
C) May 17
D) May 11
E) May 18
Answer: B) May 16
- Sikkim celebrates its statehood day May 16.
- It marks the day in 1975 when Sikkim transitioned to become the 22nd state of India from being a monarchy earlier.
National Dengue Day:
- May 16 is observed as the National Dengue Day in India.
- This day aims at spreading awareness about dengue, informing people about the disease, and encouraging them to take the necessary precautions to prevent it.
- Dengue is prevalent in some Latin American and Asian countries and is responsible for health issues and death in the same.
- According to the WHO (World Health organization), dengue affects approximately 100-400 million people every year
International Day of Living Together in Peace:
- May 16 is observed as International Day of Living Together in Peace
- Living together in peace is all about accepting differences and having the ability to listen to, recognize, respect and appreciate others, as well as living in a peaceful and united way.
- The UN General-Assembly, in its resolution 72/130, declared 16 May the International Day of Living Together in Peace, as a means of regularly mobilizing the efforts of the international community to promote peace, tolerance, inclusion, understanding and solidarity.
- The Day aims to uphold the desire to live and act together, united in differences and diversity, in order to build a sustainable world of peace, solidarity and harmony.
- The Day invites countries to further promote reconciliation to help to ensure peace and sustainable development, including by working with communities, faith leaders and other relevant actors, through reconciliatory measures and acts of service and by encouraging forgiveness and compassion among individuals.
International Day of Light 2021:
- Light is a key element in our daily lives.
- It is the main source of energy for all living organisms.
- Without it, we simply would have nothing.
- The plants synthesize nutrients from light using chlorophyll and filter the air we breathe.
- Animals and humans depend on plants for survival.
Date of International Day of Light:
- The International Day of Light is celebrated annually on May 16.
- The day also marks the anniversary of the first successful operation of the laser in 1960 by physicist and engineer Theodore Maiman.
2. Who becomes first Indian-origin fighter to win top-level MMA title?
A) Arjun Bhullar
B) Arun Bhullar
C) Sathish Bhullar
D) Anand Bhullar
E) Arjan Bhullar
Answer: E) Arjan Bhullar
- Arjan Bhullar defeated Brandon Vera in the second round of a five round contest of the Singapore-based One Championship to become the first Indian origin fighter to win a world title in a top-level MMA promotion.
- With the historical victory, the 34-year-old Indian star ended the Filipino-American’s five-and-a-half-year World title reign and became just the second ONE Heavyweight World Champion.
- Bhullar completely dominated in the second round of the fight.
- Bhullar has his ancestry to Billi Bhullar village near Jalandhar in Punjab. A former wrestler, Bhullar had won the Commonwealth games gold medal in 120kg freestyle wrestling in New Delhi in 2010.
- At the 2012 London Olympics, he became the first Indian-origin freestyle wrestler to represent Canada at the Olympics Games.
- After his wrestling career, when he won his UFC debut against Luis Enrigue Barbosa de Oliveira in UFC 215, he had become the first Indian origin fighter to win a UFC fight.
Athletics: High jumper Tejaswin Shankar clinches gold at outdoor meet in US:
- Indian high jumper Tejaswin Shankar has claimed a gold medal at the Big 12 Outdoor Track and Field Championships in Manhattan, USA.
- Representing Kanasas State University, Tejaswin cleared 2.28 metres, making a facility record.
- University of Oklahoma’s Vernon Turner (2.25m) and Texas Tech University’s Jequan Hogan (2.11m) claimed the silver and bronze respectively.
- This was Tejaswin’s second successive gold at the event.
- He claimed the top honours in 2019 as well while the event could not be held in 2020 because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Arjan Bhullar – First Indian-origin fighter to win top-level MMA title.
3. Former All Blacks Skipper Read Announced retirement. He is related to which sports?
Answer: E) Rugby
- Former New Zealand captain Kieran Read retired from rugby after his team Toyota Verblitz’s season ended following Saturday’s semi-final loss to Panasonic Wild Knights in Japan’s Top League. Read, a World Cup winner with the All Blacks in 2011 and 2015, announced his decision to retire before Saturday’s game, which Verblitz lost 48-21.
- The 35-year-old retired from international rugby in 2019 after the World Cup where New Zealand finished third.
- The number eight was named World Rugby’s player of the year in 2013.
- He also won four Super Rugby Aotearoa titles with the Canterbury Crusaders.
Rugby – Former All Blacks skipper Read retires.
4. MS Narasimhan has passed away. He was related to which field?
Answer: E) Mathematician
- Famous for Narasimhan-Seshadri theorem, he made pioneering contributions to differential & algebraic geometry.
- He played key role in development of Mathematics in India.
- He was the only Indian to be awarded with King Faisal International Prize for Science & First Chair of National Board for Higher Mathematics.
- Prof. M S Narasimhan contributions are in the areas of Algebraic Geometry, Differential Geometry, Representation Theory of Lie groups and Partial Differential Equations.
- Prof. M S Narasimhan has played a key role in the development of Mathematics in India and in developing countries by influencing several mathematicians and by creating structures for promoting research in Mathematics.
- He was the founding-Chairman of the National Board of Higher Mathematics of the Government of India.
- He was a member of the Executive Committee of International Mathematical Union (IMU) from 1982 to 1986 and President of the Commission on Development and Exchange of IMU (1986-94).
- He was an INSA Council Member (1977-79) and Vice-President, Indian Academy of Sciences (1980-82).
- Prof Narasimhan was a Fellow of The Royal Society, London, Indian Academy of Sciences and the Academy of Sciences for the Developing World (TWAS).
- He is a recipient of Srinivasa Ramanujan Medal of INSA (1988).
- Among the other distinctions and awards he received are: King Faisal International Prize for Science (2006), TWAS Award for Mathematics (1987), CV Raman Birth Centenary Award of Indian Science Congress Association (1994), SS Bhatnagar Prize and Honorary Fellowship of TIFR.
- He was awarded Padma Bhushan by the President of India and “Chevalier de l’ordre du Merite” by the President of France.
Prof. M S Narasimhan – Distinguished mathematician Padma Bhushan.
5. Rajendrasinh Jadeja passed away. He was related to which sports?
Answer: E) Cricket
- Former Saurashtra pacer and BCCI match eferee Rajendrasinh Jadeja has died due to COVID-19.
- Rajendra Singh was one of the finest right-arm medium pacers and a remarkable all-rounder.
- He played 50 first-class matches and 11 List A games, taking 134 and 14 wickets respectively.
- He scored 1,536 runs in first-class matches and 104 runs in List A cricket.
- Rajendrasinh served as the BCCI’s official referee in 53 first-class matches, 18 List A games and 34 T20s.
- He also served as selector, coach and team manager of Saurashtra Cricket Association.
Rajendrasinh Jadeja – Former Saurashtra cricketer, BCCI match referee.
6. Who is topped Fortune’s list of the world’s 50 greatest leaders?
A) Jessica Tan
B) Mrna Pioneers
C) Daniel H Schulman
D) Jacinda Ardern
E) Dr John Nkengasong
Answer: D) Jacinda Ardern
|1||Jacinda Ardern, Prime Minister of New Zealand|
|3||Daniel H Schulma, American business executive and president and CEO of PayPal|
|10||Adar Poonawalla, CEO of the Serum Institute of India.|
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
7. Which company announces Rs 1-lakh health insurance for new tractor customers?
E) Mahindra & Mahindra
Answer: E) Mahindra & Mahindra
- Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd announced an initiative to support its new tractor customers amid the second wave of the COVID-19 pandemic with provisions for health insurance of Rs 1 lakh and pre-approved emergency financial support to farmers.
- Under its ‘M-Protect COVID’ plan, the company said it aims to safeguard new Mahindra tractor customers and their families against the eventuality of contracting COVID-19.
Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd:
CEO: Anand Mahindra
Mahindra & Mahindra Ltd – Rs 1-lakh health insurance for new tractor customers.
8. MCCIA and which organisation launch India’s first Agriculture Export Facilitation Center (AEFC)?
Answer: B) NABARD
- Maharashtra Chamber of Commerce Industries and Agriculture (MCCIA), in association with the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD), launched India’s first Agriculture Export Facilitation Center (AEFC).
- Dr. G.R. Chintala, Chairman, NABARD, inaugurated the center in a virtual program organized by MCCIA. Mr. Umesh Chandra Sarangi, (IAS Retd.), Chairman, Agriculture and Agricultural Business Committee, MCCIA; Mr. Dheeraj Kumar (IAS), Agriculture Commissioner, Maharashtra; Mr. Sudhir Mehta, President, MCCIA and Mr. Prashant Girbane, Director General MCCIA were also present for the inauguration program.
- Mr. Ajinkya Rahane, Vice-Captain of the Indian Cricket Team, also marked his presence as a special guest through the virtual platform and encouraged the organizers and the participants and wished it all the success as its aims to boost farmer’s income through increasing exports.
- India ranks 13th in the world in the agricultural export.
- Presently Maharashtra exports agri-food products worth 30 million dollars; with such initiative, we must aim to take the export to 100 million dollars in the next few years.
Abbreviation: National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development
Recommendation Committee: B.Sivaramman Committee
Act: National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development Act 1981
Founded: 12 July 1982
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
Chairman: Govinda Rajulu Chintala
MCCIA + NABARD – India’s first Agriculture Export Facilitation Center (AEFC).
9. Indian Railways commissions Wi-Fi facility at 6,000th station.Mumbai is the first railway station to get wifi facility in which year?
Answer: E) 2016
- With the commissioning of Wi-Fi at Hazaribagh Town railway station falling under Hazaribagh district of Jharkhand in Dhanbad Division of East Central Railway, the Indian Railways commissioned Wi-Fi at 6,000 railway stations.
- The first railway station with which the Indian Railways started its journey of providing Wi-Fi facility was that in Mumbai in January 2016, it said, adding that a railway station in Midnapore of West Bengal was the 5000th station and yesterday it reached the 6,000 mark with the Hazaribagh Town railway station.
- Jarapada station in Angul district of Odisha was also provided with Wi-Fi the same day it was provided in Hazaribagh.
- The Wi-Fi facility at railway stations meets the objectives of the aspiring Digital India Program of the Government of India and will bridge the digital divide between the rural and urban citizens thereby increasing the digital footprint in the rural villages and also enhance the user experience, it said.
- The Indian Railways also mentioned that the provision of Wi-Fi facility at railway stations is on a self-sustainable basis with no cost to the Railways.
- This facility was provided with the help of RailTel, a PSU under the Ministry of Railways.
- This task was carried out in partnership with Google, DOT (under USOF), PGCIL and Tata Trust.
Indian Railway – Commission Wi-Fi facility at 6,000th station.
10. Which organization has launched a Special GST Refund Disposal Drive for processing and disposal of all pending GST refund claims on priority?
Answer: E) CBIC
- Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) has launched a Special GST Refund Disposal Drive from 15th May to 31st May for processing and disposal of all pending GST refund claims on priority.
- It is expected that during this special drive, all GST refund claims, pending as on 14th May shall be disposed of by 31st of this month.
- Principal Chief Commissioners and Chief Commissioners of CGST Zones will monitor the performance on this front closely on a daily basis and, wherever required, suitably guide the officers concerned to maximize the disposal.
Headquarters: New Delhi
Chairman: M. Ajit Kumar
CBIC – Special GST Refund Disposal Drive from 15th to 31st May.
11. Which state approves 25% subsidy for new units making medical equipment?
B) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: B) Uttar Pradesh
- To encourage new industries to manufacture Covid-19 medical equipment, the
Uttar Pradesh Cabinet led by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath on Saturday approved a scheme to provide a subsidy of 25 per cent or Rs 10 crore, whichever is lower, of the total expenditure.
- Under the “UP COVID Emergency Financial Support Scheme”, a minimum investment requirement of Rs 20 lakh has been fixed to set up the unit.
- A revolving fund will be established for providing the financial aid.
- The scheme will be available for a year after the order. All NOCs and permits can be granted within 72 hours under the UP MSME Act.
CM: Yogi Adityanath
Governor: Anandiben Patel
Uttar Pradesh Cabinet – 25% subsidy for new units making medical equipment.