Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
May 17 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. World Hypertension Day is observed on which date?
A) May 17
B) May 12
C) May 11
D) May 14
E) May 16
Answer: A) May 17
- Stressing the need for increasing awareness about the ‘silent killer’ and helping people realise that it is a preventable and controllable condition, World Hypertension Day is observed in May.
- High stress levels, obesity, sedentary lifestyle and poor dietary habits are some of the main reasons for hypertension in young people.
- Initiated by The World Hypertension League, World Hypertension Day is marked on May 17 every year.
History and significance:
- Launched on on May 14, 2005, The World Hypertension League has been dedicating May 17 of every year as World Hypertension Day ever since 2006.
- While the inaugural theme in 2005 was ‘Awareness of high blood pressure’, in 2006 it was ‘Treat to goal’ and through different themes each year, the WHL intends to not only raise awareness about hypertension but also of its factors and prevention methods since it affects more than 30% of the adult population worldwide which accounts for more than one billion people around the world.
- While the theme for World Hypertension Day for a period of five years, from 2013 to 2018, has been ‘Know Your Numbers’ that aimed at increasing high blood pressure awareness in all populations around the world, the theme in 2021 is ‘Measure your blood pressure, control it, live longer!’ to raise awareness especially in low to middle income areas and promote the accurate blood pressure measurement methods.
World Telecommunication Day:
- World Telecommunication Day (WTD) is celebrated every year on May 17 to highlight the role of Information and Communication Technology in today’s world.
- The day is also celebrated to mark the anniversary of the founding of International Telecommunication Union (ITU) on May 17, 1865, the occasion on which the first International Telegraph Convention was signed in Paris, France.
- On this day, a topical theme is chosen and events celebrating that theme take place around the world.
THEME OF WORLD TELECOMMUNICATION DAY 2021:
- The theme for this year is ‘Accelerating digital transformation in challenging times’ focusing on the critical role of information and communication technologies (ICTs) for continued functioning of societies during COVID-19 pandemic and bringing to the fore the startling digital inequalities between and within countries.
WORLD TELECOMMUNICATION DAY HISTORY AND SIGNIFICANCE:
- With the event being first started in 1969, the day was first celebrated in 2005 when the World Summit on the Information Society called upon the UN General Assembly for declaring May 17 as World Information Society Day (WISD).
- In March 2006, the UN General Assembly resolved that WISD would indeed take place every year on 17 May.
- In 2006, the ITU in a Plenipotentiary Conference in Turkey’s Antalya decided to combine both celebrations as World Telecommunication and Information Society Day (WTISD)
International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia and Biphobia:
- The International Day Against Homophobia, Biphobia and Transphobia is observed on May 17 and aims to coordinate international events that raise awareness of LGBT rights violations and stimulate interest in LGBT rights work worldwide.
- By 2016, the commemorations had taken place in 132 countries.
- The founders of the International Day Against Homophobia, as it was originally known, established the IDAHO Committee to coordinate grass-roots actions in different countries, to promote the day and to lobby for official recognition on May 17.
- That date was chosen to commemorate the decision to remove homosexuality from the International Classification of Diseases of the World Health Organization (WHO) in 1990.
2. Lee-Anne Pace clinched her fourth South African Women’s Open title. She was related to which sports?
Answer: A) Golf
- Malik, who shot 76 on a difficult final day, finished outside the top 20 brackets with rounds of 72-79-78-76 during a week when wind and rain played havoc.
- South Africa’s 40-year-old star Lee-Anne Pace clinched her fourth South African Women’s Open title after carding a final round of 72 for a one-shot win over Germany’s Leonie Harm at Westlake Golf Club.
- She finished the tournament at two-over 290. Pace’s win made her the first woman to win the title four times and ensures she leads the 2021 Race to Costa del Sol.
- The 76th US Women’s Open takes place in June and the top four players at the Investec SA Women’s Open qualified for the second Major of the year.
Lee-Anne Pace – South African Women’s Open title.
3. Jack Miller won the French MotoGP. He was related to which country?
E) The Philippines
Answer: A) Australia
- Australian rider Jack Miller made a great start to overtake polesitter Fabio Quartararo and then held him off to win the French MotoGP.
- Miller clinched his second straight win of the season and third overall, beating Johann Zarco by four seconds and Quartararo by 14.5 as two French riders finished on the podium.
- Zarco is now third overall with 68 ahead of Miller on 64.
Australian rider Jack Miller – Win the French MotoGP.
4. Rafael Nadal beats World No 1 Novak Djokovic for his ___ Rome Open title?
Answer: C) 10
- World No. 3 Spaniard Rafael Nadal overcame a mid-match surge from No. 1-ranked Serbian Novak Djokovic to win the Italian Open final 7-5, 1-6, 6-3 in two hours and 50 minutes for his 10th title.
- Nadal has now won at least 10 titles at 4 different tournaments, including Roland Garros (11 in Monte Carlo, 12 in Barcelona and 13 in Paris).
- Nadal also equalled Djokovic’s record for the greatest number of Masters 1000 titles.
- The two gladiators of the sport have 36 Masters 1000 titles each while Roger Federer is in the third spot with 28 wins.
- Nadal, who was knocked out in the quarter-final in Madrid earlier this month, has established his favourite tag to defend the French Open title.
- Notably, the Spaniard had won his 20th Grand Slam title, beating Djokovic in straight sets in the Roland Garros final last year.
- Djokovic has now not beaten Nadal on clay since 2016 wherein he defeated the Spaniard in the quarter-finals at Rome.
- The Serb has lost their last five meetings on clay as they lay down the marker for what could be a blockbuster French Open, starting May 30.
- Nadal also took his head-to-head record to 28-29 after emerging successful in the 57th meeting on the tour.
|13||Nadal, Roland Garros|
|11||Nadal, Monte Carlo|
|9||Djokovic, Aus Open|
Italian Open: Iga Swiatek wins Women’s Singles title:
- In Tennis, Polish teenager Iga Swiatek has won the Women’s Singles title of Italian Open.
- 15th seed Swiatek defeated ninth seed Czech Karolina Pliskova 6-0, 6-0 with what is known as a “double bagel” score in the summit clash in Rome that lasted just 46 minutes.
- The 19-year-old reigning French Open champion had entered the finals after trouncing 17-year-old American Coco Gauff 7-6, 6-3 in the last four.
- Czech Pliskova had defeated Croatia’s Petra Martic 6-1 3-6 6-2 in the other semi-final match.
Rafael Nadal – beat World No 1 Novak Djokovic for 10th Rome Open title.
5. Shivbalak Pasi passed away. He was related to which field?
Answer: A) Politician
- Former Uttar Pradesh minister and Congress leader Shivbalak Pasi died following a prolonged illness.
- Pasi was a five-time MLA from the Salon assembly constituency of Rae Bareli district.
Industrialist Siddharth Shriram passes away at 76 due to coronavirus:
- Industrialist and former chairman of Usha International Siddharth Shriram passed away due to COVID-19, according to people close to the family.
- Shriram (76), who served as advisor to the board of Usha International after stepping down from executive role, was admitted to Medanta Hospital in Gurgaon for treatment of COVID-19.
- A multi-faceted industrialist, Shriram served as the Chairman of Mawana Sugars Ltd besides being the Chairman of Usha International, known for its sewing machines and home appliances.
- He had led the Usha Internartional group in forming two joint ventures with Japan’s Honda for passenger cars and power products.
Television journalist Anjan Bandyopadhyay dies:
- Eminent journalist and popular TV anchor Anjan Bandyopadhyay, who tested positive for Covid-19 around a month ago, died at a private hospital in Kolkata.
Shivbalak Pasi – Former Uttar Pradesh minister and Congress leader.
BANKING AND FINANCE
6. Max Life Insurance launches Saral Pension plan with guaranteed financial protection. What is the age limit of this insurance?
A) 70-80 years
B) 45-80 years
C) 40-80 years
D) 30-80 years
E) 50-80 years
Answer: C) 40-80 years
- Max Life Insurance announced the launch of ‘Max Life Saral Pension’, a non-linked, non-participating single premium, individual immediate annuity plan.
- This immediate annuity product guarantees a regular stream of income in one’s golden years and offers individuals a chance to maintain their lifestyle pre and post-retirement with the assurance of guaranteed income as long as the policyholder lives.
- This plan is also applicable for customers who plan for early retirement. The plan is available to customers in the entry age group of 40 to 80 years.
- There are two options available under the policy – single life and joint-life annuity. ‘Max Life Saral Pension’ further offers customers the flexibility to choose from any of the four annuity payout modes available – monthly, quarterly, half-yearly or yearly.
- The product also offers a ‘Surrender Benefit’ – an option to surrender on the diagnosis of Critical Illness – if the annuitant or spouse or any of the children of the annuitant is diagnosed with any of the covered critical illnesses as specified (under the plan), then the annuitant will have an option to withdraw 95 per cent of the purchase price (single premium) as surrender benefit.
- Under single life annuity, a fixed income guaranteed at the policy inception will be paid to the annuitant throughout life. Income payment will cease on the annuitant’s death, and 100 per cent of the purchase price shall be paid to the nominee on the death of the annuitant.
- Under the joint-life option, a fixed income guaranteed at the policy inception will be paid as long as at least one of the annuitants is alive. Income payment will cease on the death of the last survivor and death benefit, 100 per cent of the purchase price shall be paid to the nominee on death of the last survivor (annuitants).
Max Life Insurance Company:
Max Life Insurance Company Limited is a life insurance company in India with a joint venture between Max India Ltd and Mitsui Sumitomo Insurance Co Ltd.
CEO: Prashant Tripathy
Max Life Insurance – Saral Pension plan with guaranteed financial protection.
7. Who is appointed as New Chairman Of IESA Board?
A) Rajeev Khushu
B) Rajesh Khushu
C) Bharathi Khushu
D) Ravi Khushu
E) Krishna Khushu
Answer: A) Rajeev Khushu
- India Electronics and Semiconductor Association (IESA) on Monday announced Rajeev Khushu, Director (Corporate Affairs and Govt Relations), Texas Instruments,as chairperson of the Board of Directors and Executive Committeeeffective immediately.
- He succeeds Satya Gupta who would continue as an advisor to the board.
Abhay Tewari appointed Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of SUD Life:
- Star Union Dai-ichi Life Insurance Company Ltd (SUD LIFE) announced the appointment of Abhay Tewari as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the Company w.e.f 15th May 2021.
- Abhay Tewari joined the company in the year 2014 as Appointed Actuary. Prior to his appointment as Managing Director & CEO of the company, he was promoted as Joint President – Corporate & Chief Actuary, overseeing Operations, Actuarial, Risk and Corporate Governance functions.
- SUD LIFE is a joint venture of Bank of India, Union Bank of India and Dai-ichi Life Insurance Company Limited, Japan.
Rajeev Khushu – New Chairman of IESA Board.
8. Fiame Naomi Mataafa is appointed as First Female Prime Minister of which country?
E) The Philippines
Answer: C) Samoa
Currency: Samoan tālā
Fiame Naomi Mataafa – First Female Prime Minister of Samoa.
9. Andrea Meza of which country was crowned Miss Universe at the televised event held in Florida, US?
Answer: E) Mexico
- Andrea Meza of Mexico has been crowned Miss Universe for the year 2020, besting contestants from 74 other countries, including Miss India Adline Castelino, who came in fourth at the beauty pageant.
- Miss Mexico (Andrea Meza, 26) finished ahead of other finalists, fellow contestants from Myanmar, Brazil, Peru, India and the Dominican Republic.
- Russia was represented by Alina Sanko, Miss Russia 2019. The Miss Universe pageant was cancelled in 2020 amid the coronavirus pandemic.
- South African model Zozibini Tunzi was crowned Miss Universe in 2019.
- Singer Luis Fonsi of ”Despacito” fame performed at the three-hour competition, hosted by Mario Lopez and Olivia Culpo.
- This is the third Miss Universe victory for Mexico, with Ximena Navarrete and Lupita Jones being declared winners in 2010 and 1991, respectively.
Andrea Meza of Mexico – won Miss Universe.
10. Which Minister receives international award for outstanding service to humanity?
A) Health Minister
B) External Affairs Minister
C) Education Minister
D) Home Minister
E) Agriculture Minister
Answer: C) Education Minister
- The “International Invincible Gold Medal” of this year has been conferred on Union Education Minister Dr. Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank. Dr. Tony Nader, president of Maharshi Organisation worldwide, said that Nishank has been recognised for his extraordinary commitment and outstanding service to humanity through his writings, social and illustrious public life.
- The decision was made after due deliberations by a high-powered committee duly constituted under the leadership of Dr Tony Nader who is the global head of the organisation.
- The honour was announced at a two-day virtual session which was attended by representatives from over 110 countries.
- The award will be formally presented to the union minister on Guru Purnima this year.
Minister: Ramesh Pokhriyal Nishank
Constituency: Hardwar, Uttarakhand
Union Education Minister – International award for outstanding service to humanity.
11. Who has released the first batch of DRDO-developed anti-Covid drug 2-DG?
1) Harsh Vardhan
2) Rajnath Singh
3) Nirmala Sitharaman
A) Only 1 & 3
B) Only 1
C) Only 2
D) Only 3
E) Only 1 & 2
Answer: E) Only 1 & 2
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh and Health Minister Harsh Vardhan released the first batch of DRDO-developed anti-Covid drug 2-DG.
- On the occasion, DRDO Chairman G Sateesh Reddy and AIIMS Director Randeep Guleria were also present.
- An anti-COVID-19 therapeutic application of the drug 2-deoxy-D-glucose (2-DG) has been developed by Institute of Nuclear Medicine and Allied Sciences (INMAS), a lab of Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), in collaboration with Dr Reddy’s Laboratories (DRL), Hyderabad.
- Clinical trial results have shown that the drug enables faster recovery of hospitalised Covid-19 patients and reduces their supplemental oxygen dependence.
- Covid patients treated with 2-DG showed a higher proportion of RT-PCR negative conversion.
- During the first wave of the Covid-19 pandemic in 2020, INMAS-DRDO scientists conducted laboratory experiments with the help of Centre for Cellular and Molecular Biology in Hyderabad and found that this molecule works effectively against SARS-CoV-2 virus and inhibits the viral growth.
- Based on these results, the DCGI’s Central Drugs Standard Control Organisation (CDSCO) permitted Phase-II clinical trials of 2-DG in Covid-19 patients in May 2020.
The DRDO conducted Phase-II trials till October, it was found to be safe for treating Covid-19 patients.
- All over the country, the phase II-A was conducted in six hospitals and Phase II-B clinical trial was conducted at 11 hospitals, in which a total of 110 patients participated.
- On May 8, the Drugs Controller General of India (DCGI) gave approval for emergency use in moderate to severe case of the virus.
Ministry of Defence:
Minister: Rajnath Singh
Constituency: Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
Finance and Corporate Affairs
Minister: Nirmala Sitharaman
Constituency: Rajya Sabha MP, Karnataka
Rajnath & Harsh Vardhan – DRDO anti-Covid drug 2-DG.
12. South Central Railway’s ____ Kisan Rail has successfully commenced its journey with 260 tonnes of Mangoes from Nuzvid in Andhra Pradesh to Adarsh Nagar in New Delhi?
Answer: B) 200th
- South Central Railway’s 200th Kisan Rail has successfully commenced its journey with 260 tonnes of Mangoes from Nuzvid in Andhra Pradesh to Adarsh Nagar in New Delhi.
- The success of the Kisan Rail initiative over SCR can be gauged from the fact that, from the time it was introduced there has been a continuous demand for the trains.
- This is reflected in the decreasing number of days taken for reaching the successive 100 Kisan Rails milestone.
- While it took 187 days to transport the first 100 Kisan Rails from SCR, the next 100 Kisan Rails were transported in just 63 days.
- Overall, a total of 65,962 tonnes of agricultural produce has been transported by these Kisan Rails from different locations of the SCR zone.
- These trains have been started across three states over the Zone covering Telangana, Andhra Pradesh and Maharashtra.
- A wide variety of commodities have been transported including Water Melons, Bananas, Tomato, Onions, Grapes, Carrot, Turmeric (dry), Mangoes and among others.
- Simultaneously, these trains have also helped in transporting the agricultural commodities to different places spread over the country like Adarsh Nagar in New Delhi, New Guwahati, Malda Town, Agartala, Fatuha, Barasat, New Jalpaiguri and among others.
Nuzvid in Andhra Pradesh – SCR’s 200th Kisan Rail.
13. Which state announces Pind Covid Fateh Programme to tackle corona spread in villages?
A) Madhya Pradesh
C) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: E) Punjab
- Stressing the need to avoid the kind of situation that was prevailing in the villages of Uttar Pradesh, Punjab Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh announced a unique Covid Fateh programme as part of a ‘Corona Mukt Pind Abhiyaan’ to tackle the worrying spread of Covid in the rural areas.
- Terming it a war that needed the involvement of all sections of the community, the Chief Minister directed the Health and Rural Development Departments to spearhead the campaign with large-scale mobilisation of the community in the villages.
CM: Captain Amarinder Singh
Governor: V P Singh Badnore
Punjab CM – Pind Covid Fateh Programme to tackle corona spread in villages.
14. Tripura launched a 24×7 dedicated educational channel named _____ to offer lessons on the school syllabus?
A) Keethi Tripura
B) Namaskar Tripura
C) Vande Tripura
D) Seva Tripura
E) Bharat Tripura
Answer: C) Vande Tripura
- Fourteen months into the pandemic, Tripura launched Vande Tripura, a 24×7 dedicated educational channel to offer lessons on the school syllabus and cover the educational loss incurred in the last 14 months of the pandemic, as schools, colleges and other educational institutions are shut down to break the chain of transmission.
CM: Biplab Kumar Deb
Governor: Ramesh Bais
Tripura – 24×7 dedicated educational channel.
15. Government releases how much amount Central grant to 15 States under Jal Jeevan Mission for financial year 2021-22?
A) Rs. 3,968 Crore
B) Rs. 2,968 Crore
C) Rs. 1,968 Crore
D) Rs. 5,968 Crore
E) Rs. 4,968 Crore
Answer: D) Rs. 5,968 Crore
- Government of India has released Rs. 5,968 Crore to 15 States for the implementation of Jal Jeevan Mission in the financial year 2021-22.
- This is the first tranche of the four to be released in this financial year. Other 17 States/ UTs have been asked to send their proposals to National Jal Jeevan Mission for release of funds.
- Out of the Central fund allocated under Jal Jeevan Mission, 93% of the fund is to be utilized on developing water supply infrastructure, 5% on support activities and 2% on water quality monitoring & surveillance activities.
- The Central funds are released by Government of India based on the output in terms of tap water connections provided in the States/ UTs and the utilization of available Central and matching State share.
Government – Rs. 5,968 Crore Central grants to 15 States under Jal Jeevan Mission for financial year 2021-22.