Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
May 14 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. Finnish GP cancelled due to COVID-19. This event is related to which sports?
B) Table Tennis
Answer: E) Racing
- MotoGP’s Finnish Grand Prix in July has been cancelled due to travel restrictions related to the COVID-19 pandemic with Austria set to host a doubleheader in August instead.
- The Styrian Grand Prix, which made its debut last year, will be held again at the Red Bull Ring from Aug. 6-8, a week before the Austrian Grand Prix
Finnish GP – Cancel due to COVID-19.
2. Times Group chairperson Indu Jain passes away. She won Padma Bhushan in which year?
Answer: E) 2016
- Times Group chairperson Indu Jain died due to Covid-related complications, company sources said.
- She was 84.
- After becoming chairman of the Times Group in 1999 she evolved a distinctive leadership style, characterised by compassion and inclusiveness, that helped propel the group to new heights.
- She set up The Times Foundation in 2000, with sustainable development and transformational change as its key goals.
- One of India’s most respected non-profits, it provides community services and runs the Times Relief Fund to offer assistance during cyclones, earthquakes, floods, epidemics and other crises.
- She was the founder president of FICCI Ladies Organisation (FLO), established in 1983 to promote entrepreneurship and professional excellence among women in India.
- From 1999, she also served as chairperson of Bharatiya Jnanpith Trust, founded in 1944 by Sahu Shanti Prasad Jain, her father-in-law, to promote literature in Indian languages.
- The Jnanpith Award, conferred by the Trust annually, is acknowledged to be the most prestigious honour for authors writing in Indian languages.
- She was also the guiding force behind the Oneness Forum, launched in 2003 to promote unity in the world. The Mahavira Mahatma award was instituted under the aegis of the Forum to promote Mahatma Gandhi’s principle of ahimsa (non- violence).
- She received many honours, including the Padma Bhushan in 2016.
- She was conferred a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Institute of Company Secretaries of India in 2019, an award for Lifetime Contribution to Media by the All-India Management Association in 2018, as well as a Lifetime Achievement Award by the Indian Congress of Women.
- In 2000, she also addressed the United Nations at the Millennium World Peace Summit.
Indu Jain – Times Group chairperson.
BANKING AND FINANCE
3. The World Bank extended how much amount to Sri Lanka for its COVID-19 vaccination drive?
A) USD 20.5 million
B) USD 80.5 million
C) USD 30.5 million
D) USD 40.5 million
E) USD 50.5 million
Answer: B) USD 80.5 million
Members: 189 countries (IBRD), 173 countries (IDA)
Hq: Washington D.C, US
Head: David Malpass
World Bank – Extend USD 80.5 million to Sri Lanka for COVID-19 vaccination drive.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
4. Which organisation committed $3.92 billion in sovereign loans for 13 projects to India in 2020?
D) World Bank
Answer: E) ADB
- Asian Development Bank (ADB) said that it committed $3.92 billion in sovereign loans for 13 projects to India in 2020.
- This includes over $1.8 billion fund related with Covid-19.
- The multilateral agency claims it is the highest-ever annual lending commitment to India since the start of its lending operations in 1986.
- ADB also committed $356.1 million through its non-sovereign operations to India, including three Covid-19 support projects.
- Among the new projects committed in 2020 included $500 million to build a modern, high-speed 82-kilometers Delhi-Meerut Regional Rapid Transit system corridor; Energy sector loans to strengthen distribution network in Maharashtra, Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh, and Meghalaya and to build a 120-megawatt hydroelectric power plant in Assam.
- In the urban sector, ADB approved loans for sustainable urban development in secondary and smaller towns in Rajasthan and Madhya Pradesh.
Asian Development Bank:
Member Countries: 68
Founded Year: 1966
Headquarters: Manila, Philippines
Head: Masatsugu Asakawa
ADB – Commit $3.92 billion lending in 2020.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
5. Bene Appetit: The Cuisine of Indian Jews is authored by whom?
A) Esther David
B) John David
C) Joe David
D) Michel David
E) Walter David
Answer: A) Esther David
Bene Appetit: The Cuisine of Indian Jews – Authored by Esther David – Published by HarperCollins.
6. KP Sharma Oli re-appointed as Prime Minister of which country?
Answer: E) Nepal
- K P Sharma Oli, who had lost the vote of confidence in the Parliament, was once again appointed as the Prime Minister of Nepal as the Opposition parties failed to garner the majority vote to form a government.
- Mr Oli was re-appointed as he was the leader of the single largest party in the House.
President: Bidya Devi Bhandari
Prime Minister: K. P. Sharma Oli
KP Sharma Oli – Re-appoint as Nepal Prime Minister.
7. Nuklu Phom won prestigious Whitley Awards 2021. He is related to which state?
B) Andhra Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: E) Nagaland
- An environmentalist from Nagaland’s remote Longleng district has won this year’s Whitley Awards 2021, also known as the Green Oscar.
- Nuklu Phom’s name, along with that of five others, was announced in a virtual award ceremony organised by the UK-based Whitley Fund for Nature (WFN).
- The award recognises Phom’s efforts at establishing a new biodiversity peace corridor changing the fate of Amur Falcons, which come to roost in Nagaland each year, from being hunted by locals.
- Worth £40,000, the award is for creating a new network of community-owned forests to protect Amur Falcons and increase biodiversity in Nagaland.
- The Lemsachenlok was recognised by the United Nations Environment Programme in 2015 for its efforts towards conserving the Amur falcon; it was a recipient of the India Biodiversity Award in 2018; and a Governor’s Gold Medal Award in 2021.
Nuklu Phom – Prestigious Whitley Awards 2021.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
8. Which IIT and NIMS Japan jointly launch research centre for materials research?
A) IIT Madras
B) IIT Kanpur
C) IIT Kharagpur
D) IIT Mandi
E) IIT Hyderabad
Answer: E) IIT Hyderabad
- The Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Hyderabad, and the National Institute for Materials Science (NIMS), Japan today launched Joint Research Centre.
- The two institutes had signed an agreement last year on an international collaborative graduate school programme which allows graduate students enrolled in doctoral programs to stay at NIMS for up to one year for their thesis research works.
- To further develop the joint research with complementary strengths in the materials science field, young faculty members of IITH stay at NIMS with their PhD course students during the sabbatical leave period and conduct sustainable collaboration with NIMS scientists.
- To perform the sustainable joint research between both institutions, the research centre has been launched.
- The opening of this joint research centre will further strengthen these ties and support the future leaders of both countries to achieve the best research results in the field of materials science.
IIT Hyderabad + NIMS Japan – Research centre for materials research.
9. The Department of Ayush in which state launched “AYUSH Ghar Dwar” a wellness program for Covid 19 Patients in collaboration with Art of Living for their timely cure and welfare?
B) Andhra Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
E) Himachal Pradesh
Answer: E) Himachal Pradesh
- The Department of Ayush launched “AYUSH Ghar Dwar” a wellness program for Covid 19 Patients in collaboration with Art of Living for their timely cure and welfare.
- This programme was launched by Dr. Rajiv Saizal, Minister Health department and AYUSH department from District Solan.
- It would be started in other parts of the state also.
- The program will benefit approximately 30,000 patients who are at present in Home isolation due to Covid 19 Infection and the patients who are hospitalized in various institutions.
- This program aims to reduce the disease burden of the pandemic by enhancing the recovery rate, improved Quality of Life, Equitable Healthcare facility and to ensure better rehabilitation post COVID-19 Infection, said a spokesman of the state government.
- The initiative intends to provide a Holistic Healthcare Approach through AYUSH to ensure not only physical but also mental, social and spiritual wellbeing.
CM: Jai Ram Thakur
Governor: Bandaru Dattatreya
Ayush Dept of Himachal Pradesh – Wellness programme for COVID-19 patients.
10. Which state launched MOMA Market mobile application for home delivery of fresh vegetables?
B) Andhra Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
E) Himachal Pradesh
Answer: A) Manipur
- Chief Minister N Biren Singh launched MOMA Market mobile application for home delivery of fresh vegetables.
- The application can be downloaded from www.momamarket.com and it will also be
available on Google Play Store soon.
- The app version for iOS will also be released shortly.
- The application was introduced by Manipur Organic Mission Agency (MOMA), Department of Horticulture and Soil Conservation, Manipur under the supervision of Chief Minister to make fresh vegetables available for day to day consumption and curb the distress sales of farm produces during lockdown due to COVID-19 pandemic.
- MOMA has been assigned to work in the area and channelize farm produce to consumers via home delivery so that the vegetable losses can be prevented and curb spread of COVID-19.
- Vegetables will be collected from different farms by Farmers Producer Companies (FPCs) working with MOMA.
- It will then be transported to cold storage and warehouse located at
Sanjenthong and other places.
- These bulk produces will be disbursed to registered marketing agencies for retail packaging.
- Finally, the order placed by the consumer via MOMA Market will be delivered to door steps.
CM: N. Biren Singh
Governor: Najma Heptulla
Manipur – Online application for purchase of vegetables.
11. Which state CM declared Malerkotla as the 23rd district of the state?
B) Andhra Pradesh
E) Himachal Pradesh
Answer: D) Punjab
- Punjab Chief Minister Capt Amarinder Singh declared Malerkotla as the 23rd district of the state, while announcing a slew of projects for the development of the historic city.
- The Chief Minister made these announcements during the state-level celebration of ‘Eid-ul-Fitr’, held virtually in view of the pandemic situation.
- Recalling the rich and glorious history of Malerkotla, he said its conversion into a district, which was a long-standing demand of the local people, would ease the hardships of such people and enable them to resolve their administrative problems more seamlessly.
Gujarat: ‘My Village – Corona Free Village’ campaign helped in checking spread of Covid-19 in rural areas:
- In Gujarat, ‘Maru Gam – Corona Mukt Gam’ or My Village – Corona Free Village – campaign launched by the state government has helped in checking the spread of Covid-19 in rural areas.
- Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani had launched this 15-day campaign on the 1st of May on the occasion of the state’s foundation day.
CM: Captain Amarinder Singh
Governor: V P Singh Badnore
Amarinder – Declare Malerkotla as 23rd district of Punjab.
12. Which organisation launches medical helpline for COVID-infected employees, families?
Answer: D) NDMC
- The Medical Services Department of the New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) launched a program ‘NETRA’ in coordination with the Information Technology Department to provide guidance telephonically and through WhatsApp to COVID-infected employees in home isolation.
NDMC – Medical helpline for COVID-infected employees, families.
13. PM Modi releases over how much amount to 9.50 cr farmers under PM-KISAN scheme?
A) Rs 50,667 cr
B) Rs 10,667 cr
C) Rs 20,667 cr
D) Rs 30,667 cr
E) Rs 40,667 cr
Answer: C) Rs 20,667 cr
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi released the eighth installment of the financial benefit of over Rs 20,667 crores to more than 9.50 crores beneficiary farmers under Pradhan Mantri Kisan Samman Nidhi (PM-KISAN) scheme.
- Prime Minister interacted with beneficiary farmers during the event via video conferencing. Union Agriculture Minister Narendra Singh Tomar was also present on the occasion.
Prime Minister, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Department of Atomic Energy, Department of Space and All-important policy issues and All other portfolios not allocated to any Minister:
Minister: Narendra Modi
Constituency: Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
PM Modi – Rs 20,667 cr to 9.50 cr farmers under PM-KISAN scheme.
14. Which university has launched Student Satellite Designing and Training program ‘CUSAT’?
A) Anna University
B) Varanasi University
C) Manipur University
D) Bangalore University
E) Chandigarh University
Answer: E) Chandigarh University
- Chandigarh University has launched Student Satellite Designing and Training program ‘CUSAT’ and it has become North India’s first University to launch the advanced training program for the students in the field of Aerospace Engineering.
- The virtual inauguration session of CUSAT was held today which was attended by distinguished Aerospace Engineering Scientists and Professionals which included
Padma Shri Dr YS Rajan, Scientist and Honorary Professor, ISRO;
Padmashri Prof. R.M.Vasagam, Veteran Space Scientist and ISRO’s former Director, Geostationary Satellite Apple’s Project Director; Padma Shri Dr Mylswamy Annadurai, Program Director of Chandrayaan-1 & Mangalyaan, also known as Moon Man of India
Chandigarh University – North India’s first Satellite Designing Program.