Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
February 28 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. National Science Day is observed on which date?
A) February 28
B) February 26
C) February 25
D) February 24
E) February 22
Answer: A) February 28
- National Science Day is being observed February 28.
- The day is celebrated every year on 28th of February to commemorate the discovery of the ‘Raman Effect’.
- On this day, Physicist CV Raman announced the discovery of the ‘Raman Effect’ for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize in 1930.
- The day is aimed at spreading the message of the importance of science and its application in human life.
- The theme for National Science Day 2021 is ‘Future of Science and Technology and Innovation: Impact on Education Skills and Work’.
- The government will present the National Science Communication Awards.
- These awards are presented every year on this day.
- It was instituted in 1987 to encourage and recognize outstanding efforts in the area of science and technology and inculcating scientific temper among the masses.
- The Government is implementing several schemes to encourage students and youth of the country towards the field of science and technology.
- The “Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research ” is a major scheme in operation to attract, motivate, nurture and train meritorious students to study science subjects and opt careers in Research and Development.
- In this year’s Union Budget, the Centre also announced the allocation of 50 thousand crore rupees over five years for the National Research Foundation to support researchers working across several streams of Science and Technology.
World NGO Day:
- Every year, on February 27, World NGO Day is observed in several parts of the globe. This very day commemorates the social workers who have gone out of their way to make the world a better place.
- In any sphere, social work plays an important to amplify those who otherwise do not have the appropriate resources to make the most of what society has to offer.
- Therefore, the role of activists and social workers become all the more important.
- This day was established by a Latvia-born UK-based social entrepreneur named Marcis Liors Skadmanis.
- On April 17 2010, it was officially recognized as this day by the Baltic Sea NGO Forum and it was adopted in the forum’s Final Statement Resolution in 2012.
- Hence, several countries in Europe such as Latvia, Lithuania, Poland, Russia, Norway, Sweden, Belarus, Estonia, etc. celebrate this day with great gusto.
- The Right to Protein Initiative announced the theme for this year’s celebration of Protein Day in India (February 27th) as Powering with Plant Protein.
- This year’s theme shines the spotlight on plant-based sources of protein and encourages citizens at large to learn and know more about different types of sources available and their importance in daily meals for better nutrition and health.
- This year marks the second year for this nutritional awareness milestone in India by ‘Right to Protein’, as the initiative invites citizens, organizations and experts to join the movement.
Rare Disease Day:
- Rare Disease Day is an observance held on the last day of February to raise awareness for rare diseases and improve access to treatment and medical representation for individuals with rare diseases and their families .
- The European Organisation for Rare Diseases established the day in 2008 to raise awareness for unknown or overlooked illnesses.
- According to that organization, treatment for many rare diseases is insufficient, as are the social networks to support individuals with rare diseases and their families; furthermore, while there were already numerous days dedicated to sufferers of individual diseases (such as AIDS, cancer, etc.), there had previously not been a day for representing sufferers of rare diseases.
- In 2009 Rare Disease Day went global as the National Organization for Rare Disorders mobilized 200 rare disease patient advocacy organizations in the United States while organizations in China, Australia, Taiwan, and Latin America also lead efforts in their respective countries to coordinate activities and promote the day.
|February 27||World NGO Day|
|Protein Day in India|
|February 28||Rare Disease Day|
|National Science Day|
2. Deepak Kumar is related to which sports?
Answer: E) Boxing
- In Boxing, Deepak Kumar (52kg) wins the silver medal at the 72nd Strandja Memorial Tournament in Sofia, Bulgaria after losing the final face-off in a split decision against Bulgaria’s Daniel Asenov in the men’s flyweight.
Deepak Kumar – Silver at Strandja Memorial Tournament in Bulgaria.
3. Alexei Popyrin clinch his first ATP Tour title at the Singapore Open . He was related to which country?
Answer: E) Australia
- Australia’s Alexei Popyrin stormed back from a set down to beat Alexander Bublik of Kazakhstan 4-6, 6-0, 6-2 and clinch his first ATP Tour title at the Singapore Open.
Popyrin – Win maiden ATP title in Singapore.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
4. ‘The Age of Pandemics’ is authored by whom?
A) Kavi Nayar
B) Chinmay Tumbe
C) Anupam Kher
D) Meera Nayar
E) Varun Singh
Answer: B) Chinmay Tumbe
- ‘Method in the Madness’ is authored by Parameswaran Iyer.
‘The Age of Pandemics’ – authored by Chinmay Tumbe.
5. The re-appointment of Pramod Chandra Mody as Chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has been extended for a further period of how many months?
Answer: C) 3
- The re-appointment of Pramod Chandra Mody as Chairman of the Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has been extended for a further period of three months.
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved an extension for a period of three months with effect from March 1, 2021, to May 31, 2021.
- Earlier, Mody’s tenure was last extended in August last year for six months.
Vice Admiral R Hari Kumar takes over as new chief of Western Naval Command:
- Vice Admiral R Hari Kumar took over as Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief of Western Naval Command.
- He succeeded Vice Admiral Ajit Kumar, who served at the helm of this premier command since January 2019, and who retired after an illustrious career spanning 40 years.
Tarun Bajaj given additional charge of revenue secretary:
- Department of economic affairs secretary Tarun Bajaj has been given the additional charge of revenue secretary.
- Present revenue secretary Ajay Bhushan Pandey retires on February 28.
Headquarters: New Delhi
Chairman: Pramod Chandra Mody
P C Mody – Chairman of CBDT Extension for three months.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
6. ISRO successfully blasted into space the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle named _____?
Answer: E) PSLV-C51
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (Isro) made its first launch of 2021 in a big way.
- It successfully blasted into space the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle, PSLV-C51, from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre, SHAR, Sriharkota, carrying 19 payloads: Brazil’s 637-kg Amazonia-1 (its primary passenger) plus 18 co-passenger satellites.
- This was the first commercial mission of NewSpace India Limited (NSIL), Isro’s commercial arm.
- After a flight of about 17 minutes, the vehicle injected Amazonia-1 into its intended orbit, and in the succeeding 1 hour 38 minutes, all the 18 co-passenger satellites were successfully separated from the PSLV in a predetermined sequence.
- Amazonia-1 is the optical earth observation satellite of the Brazilian National Institute for Space Research (INPE).
- This satellite will provide remote sensing data to users for monitoring deforestation in the Amazon region and analysis of diversified agriculture across the Brazilian territory.
- The 18 co-passenger satellites included four from IN-SPACe and 14 commercial satellites from NSIL (one from India and 13 from the US).
- Of the four satellites from IN-SPACe, three were UNITYsats designed and built jointly by the Jeppiaar Institute of Technology (Sriperumbudur), G H Raisoni College of Engineering (Nagpur) and Sri Shakthi Institute of Engineering and Technology (Coimbatore).
- The fourth one was the Satish Dhawan Sat (SDSAT) from Chennai-based Space Kidz India, which works towards promoting space science among students.
- The SDSAT will study space radiation, among other things.
- Besides Modi’s name and picture on the top panel, the satellite also carried the names of Isro Chairman K Sivan and scientific secretary R Umamaheswaran on the bottom panel.
DRDO’s ‘Sindhu Netra’ surveillance satellite deployed in space, will help to monitor Indian Ocean Region:
- In a boost for the country’s surveillance capabilities to monitor activities of both military warships and merchant shipping in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR), the ‘Sindhu Netra’ satellite developed by a team of young scientists from Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) was successfully deployed in space.
- The Sindhu Netra satellite has been developed by the young scientists of the DRDO and is capable of automatically identifying the warships and merchant ships operating in the IOR.
- The satellite has also started communicating with the ground systems.
Russia launches its first Arctic monitoring satellite:
- A Soyuz rocket blasted off from the Baikonur cosmodrome in Kazakhstan on Sunday carrying Russia’s first satellite for monitoring the Arctic’s climate.
- The ‘Arktika’ hydrometeorological and climate monitoring space system is designed to monitor the climate and environment in the Arctic region.
- The launch of the second Arktika-M satellite is planned for 2023.
Abbreviation: Indian Space Research Organisation
Headquarters: Bengaluru, Karnataka
Chairman: Kailasavadivoo Sivan
ISRO – Flag off 2021 with 19 satellites.
7. The government on 28-02-21 extended the deadline for filing GST annual returns for 2019-20 fiscal by a month till which month?
A) August 31
B) April 30
C) May 31
D) July 31
E) March 31
Answer: E) March 31
- The government extended the deadline for filing GST annual returns for 2019-20 fiscal by a month till March 31.
- This is the second extension given by the government.
- The deadline was earlier extended from December 31, 2020, to February 28.
- In view of the difficulties expressed by the taxpayers in meeting this time limit, Government has decided to further extend the due date for furnishing of GSTR-9 and GSTR-9C for the financial year 2019-20 to March 31, 2021 with the approval of Election Commission of India.
- GSTR-9C is a statement of reconciliation between GSTR-9 and the audited annual financial statement.
- On the extension, AMRG & Associates Senior Partner Rajat Mohan said, Even though it is a relatively small extension of 31 days but is sufficient for the tax professionals to complete the requisite filings.
- EY Tax Partner Abhishek Jain said most industry players were struggling to meet this statutory deadline and had represented to the government for an extension.
- Furnishing of the annual return is mandatory only for taxpayers with aggregate annual turnover above Rs 2 crore while reconciliation statement is to be furnished only by the registered persons having aggregate turnover above Rs 5 crore.
Govt – Extend due date for filing FY20 GST annual returns till March 31.
8. Which organization has achieved a rare feat by completing a single lane of the four-lane stretch of 25.54 km being developed between Vijaypur-Solapur (NH 52) in a record time of 18 hours?
Answer: E) NHAI
- The National Highway Authority of India (NHAI) has achieved a rare feat by completing a single lane of the four-lane stretch of 25.54 km being developed between Vijaypur-Solapur (NH 52) in a record time of 18 hours.
- This quick work will be added to the Limca Book of Records.
- This road is part of the high density traffic corridor Bengaluru-Chitradurga-Vijayapura-Solapur-Aurangabad-Dhule-lndore-Gwalior .
- The official added that initially it was planned to take-up only blacktop work for a 20 km stretch of single lane in 12 hours but it was later extended for another 5.5 km on the same lane, which took another six hours to complete
- Earlier, a new World Record was created for the laying of pavement quality concrete (PQC) for a four-lane highway of 2,580 meters length within 24 hours.
- It was achieved in India during the construction of the country’s flagship greenfield expressway, the Delhi-Vadodara-Mumbai project.
- The Union cabinet had approved the four-laning of the Solapur-Vijayapur section of the new National Highway-52 connecting Maharashtra and Karnataka at an estimated cost of Rs 1,889 crore in 2017.
Headquarters: New Delhi
Chairman: Sukhbir Singh Sandhu
NHAI – Develop single lane of 25.54 kms road in record time.
9. Manoj Sinha inaugurates 2-day long which edition Technology Exhibition cum Seed Sale Mela?
Answer: B) 6
- In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, Lieutenant Governor Manoj Sinha who is also the Chancellor of Sher-i-Kashmir University of Agriculture Science and Technology Kashmir (SKUAST-Kashmir) inaugurated a 2-day long 6th Technology Exhibition cum Seed Sale Mela on the theme “Shaping the Future Farming for Better Returns” at Shalimar campus of the University in Srinagar.
- The Lt. Governor inspected around 200 stalls showcasing a variety of products and technologies developed in the field of Agriculture, Horticulture, Animal Husbandry, Fisheries, Agroforestry, Agri-Engineering, and other related fields.
Jammu and Kashmir:
Capital: Srinagar (Summer), Jammu (Winter)
Governor: Manoj Sinha
Manoj Sinha – 2-day long 6th Technology Exhibition cum Seed Sale Mela.
10. Which state will set up an exclusive Centre of Excellence (CoE) to promote modern methods in the cultivation of horticultural crops in the State?
B) Madhya Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: E) Telangana
- The Telangana Government will set up an exclusive Centre of Excellence (CoE) to promote modern methods in the cultivation of horticultural crops in the State.
- Telangana Chief Minister K Chandrashekar Rao has announced allocation of 300 acres for the CoE at the Prof. Jayashankar Telangana State Agricultural University (PJTSAU) campus.
Capital : Hyderabad
CM : K. Chandrashekar Rao
Governor : Tamilisai Soundararajan
Telangana – Set up CoE for horticultural crops.
11. ‘Masi Magam’ festival is celebrated in which state?
B) Madhya Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
E) Tamil Nadu
Answer: E) Tamil Nadu
CM: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
‘Masi Magam’ festival – Tamil Nadu.