Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.,
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
December – 29 | Daily Current Affairs 2020
Table of Contents
1. Noted architect Vikram Lall passes away. He designed the iconic Buddha Smriti Park. This park is situated in which place?
A) Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
B) Bangalore, Karnataka
C) Patna, Bihar
D) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Answer: C) Patna, Bihar
- Noted architect Vikram Lall, who designed the iconic Buddha Smriti Park in Patna that was inaugurated by Tibetan spiritual leader Dalai Lama a decade ago, has died in Brussels.
- Lall, who was part of the team that designed the Akshardham Temple in Delhi, was also an author and scholar of Buddhist architecture, and a connoisseur of Indian classical music.
- His voluminous book Architecture of the Buddhist World: The Golden Lands charts the history, styles, and architecture of Buddhist temples, monasteries, and ancient monuments across Southeast Asia, including in Cambodia, Vietnam, Myanmar and Thailand.
Vikram Lall – Noted architect.
2. John F Reid passed away. He was related to which sports?
Answer: D) Cricket
John F Reid, who scored six centuries in 19 tests for New Zealand including 108 in a famous win over Australia, has died.
Capital : Wellington.
Currency : New Zealand Dollar.
John F. Reid – Former New Zealand test batsman.
BANKING AND FINANCE
3. Which blockchain-based fintech has joined hands with United Multistate Cooperative Society launch crypto bank named UNICAS that allows users to transact in cryptocurrency and fiat from one account?
Answer: A) Cashaa
- Cashaa, a blockchain-based fintech, has joined hands with United Multistate Cooperative Society, a credit cooperative society, to launch crypto bank joint venture UNICAS that allows users to transact in cryptocurrency and fiat from one account.
- While the online services of UNICAS has already gone live, as many as 14 physical branches will be rolled out by January 2021 across the NCR, Rajasthan and Gujarat.
- UNICAS plans to rapidly expand to 100 branches by the end of 2022.
United Multistate Cooperative:
United Multistate Cooperative is registered in Delhi under the Multi-state Cooperative Society Act 2002 and is serving in Gujarat, Rajasthan and Delhi with a network of 43 branches.
Cashaa, launched in October 2018, has already been providing its services to more than 200 crypto exchanges, wallets and start-ups dealing in crypto.
Cashaa + United Multistate Cooperative Society = UNICAS – Allow users to transact in cryptocurrency and fiat from one account
4. SEBI imposed a penalty of how much amount on NDTV for its failure to disclose price-sensitive information about VCPL loan agreements?
A) Rs 2 crore
B) Rs 5 crore
C) Rs 3 crore
D) Rs 7 crore
Answer: B) Rs 5 crore
Headquarters : Mumbai, Maharashtra.
Chairman : Ajay Tyagi.
SEBI – Fine NDTV Rs 5 crore over disclosure lapses on Vishvapradhan Commercial loan deal.
5. IRDAI issues guidelines for standard travel insurance policies to be offered from which date?
A) March 1, 2021
B) April 1, 2021
C) February 1, 2021
D) May 1, 2021
Answer: B) April 1, 2021
In a bid to simplify travel insurance and expand its reach in the country, regulator Irdai issued guidelines for insurers to come up with standard travel policies to be offered from April 1, 2021.
There will be 5 variants under domestic travel and 4 variants under overseas travel.
(i) Domestic travel variants:
- Travel by any mode of public transport (Within City).
- Travel by any mode of public transport (Outside City).
- Train Journey.
- Domestic Tours involving Road, Water, Train and Air travel.
(ii) Overseas travel variants:
- Long-term Trip (Students).
- Short-term trip (Tours/Leisure)(Covers travel through Road, Water, Train and Air).
- Multi-trip during policy period (Business).
- Coverage only for Travel (Onward & Return).
(iii) Category of Cover:
Coverage in the Standard travel insurance policy will be based on indemnity and benefit basis. The product will be offered on an individual, family floater and on group basis.
(iv) Policy Period:
The policy provides coverage only during the period of journey under domestic insurance. Both stay and travel are covered under overseas travel insurance under most plan variants.
- The insurance company will pay as compensation to the legal heirs/nominee the amount stated as sum insured if the insured suffers accidental bodily injury while overseas and this is the sole and direct cause of his Death within the period of 365 days, it said.
- In the event of accidental death of a minor below 18 years of age, the maximum liability of the insurer would be limited to 50 per cent of the sum insured.
- In case of domestic travel insurance, if the common carrier in which the insured person is traveling meets with an accident resulting in death of insured person within 365 days from the date of the accident, then the company will pay as compensation the amount stated as sum insured.
IRDAI – Issue guidelines for standard travel insurance policies to be offered from April 1, 2021.
6. DBS Bank India has introduced one-stop travel marketplace within the digibank app named ________?
A) ‘Travel Jolly’
B) ‘Travel Live’
C) ‘Travel Now’
D) ‘Travel Fly’
Answer: C) ‘Travel Now’
- DBS Bank India announced that it has introduced ‘Travel Now’ a one-stop travel marketplace within the Digibank app.
- The new feature enables customers to browse and book flights, bus tickets and hotels across hundreds of destinations within and outside of India.
- Customers can also opt for travel insurance, offered by Bharti AXA General Insurance, with an automated claims process for flight cancellation, and flight departure and arrival delays of over 60 minutes.
- Digibank’s intuitive UX is designed to remember customer preferences and deliver a customized and hassle-free experience.
- The integrated insurance offering is available for flight and bus bookings in partnership with Bharti AXA General Insurance Company Ltd. Designed to address customer pain-points and key challenges in their travel journey, the insurer auto-detects flight delays and flight cancellations and notifies the customers, while enabling an automatic claims process.
- The claim journey is a simple, two-click process, and the amount is directly credited to the customers’ account. For bus bookings, customers can avail an accidental death cover of up to INR 5 lakh and an emergency medical expenses cover up to INR 1 lakh, at a price of INR 20 (inclusive of taxes).
DBS Bank India – ‘Travel Now’, a one-stop integrated travel marketplace on the digibank app.
ACQUISITIONS AND MERGERS
7. ICICI Bank will acquire how much percent stake in Myclassboard Educational Solutions Pvt Ltd for cash consideration of Rs 4.5 crore?
A) 8.09 per cent stake
B) 9.09 per cent stake
C) 6.09 per cent stake
D) 4.09 per cent stake
Answer: B) 9.09 per cent stake
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra.
MD & CEO: SandeepBakshi.
Tagline: Hum Hai Na, KhayalApka.
ICICI Bank – Acquire 9.09% stake in ed-tech platform Myclassboard Educational Solutions for Rs 4.5 crore.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
8. ‘The New Artificial Intelligence Against Coronavirus (Covid-19)’ is authored by whom?
A) K Sathish Kumar
B) K Subash Kumar
C) K Sarath Kumar
D) K Raj Kumar
Answer: B) K Subash Kumar
- A book titled ‘The New Artificial Intelligence Against Coronavirus (Covid-19)’, authored by K Subash Kumar was released by International Tamil University, USA, Founder/Chancellor Dr Selvin Kumar.
- This book will be easily understandable and deals with importance of AI, machine learning and deep learning concepts, especially related to medical field.
‘The New Artificial Intelligence Against Coronavirus (Covid-19)’ – Authored by K Subash Kumar – Released by Dr Selvin Kumar.
9. Which company has awarded the CII National Award for Excellence in Water Management 2020?
A) Tata Steel
Answer: A) Tata Steel
- Tata Steel has received two recognitions at the 14th edition of CII National Award for Excellence in Water Management 2020 for its continuous efforts and commitment to water sustainability.
- Tata Steel Jamshedpur plant has been honored with excellence in water management in ‘Within the Fence’ category.
- The CRM Bara Pond Project at Jamshedpur, East Singhbhum, has been identified as a ‘Noteworthy Project in Water Management in the ‘Beyond the Fence’ category.
National Awards for Excellence in Water Management:
- CII confers National Awards for Excellence in Water Management to honor organizations for pre-eminence in the field of water resource management, raise awareness on sustainable success and instill a “sense of competition” to inspire and motivate water users to achieve excellence in water management.
- The awards inspire the industry to move forward through improved operating performance, innovative technology adoption.
Tata Steel – The CII National Award for Excellence in Water Management 2020.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
10. Polytechnic University of Valencia partners with which university have developed a new system to monitor signals to detectSARS-CoV-2 in environmental aerosols?
A) University of Valencia
B) Oxford University
C) Harvard University
D) University of Texas
Answer: A) University of Valencia
- Researchers from the Polytechnic University of Valencia (UPV), in collaboration with specialists from the University of Valencia (UV), have developed a new system to monitor signals to detectSARS-CoV-2 in environmental aerosols.
- The model is based on a high-sensitivity mass biosensor that continuously monitors such signals.
- The device, in the prototype phase, makes it possible to assess the quality of the air and allows early detection of the virus in inside spaces such as homes, classrooms, restaurants, cinemas, or means of transportation.
- The findings of the study were stated in the journal News Medical and Life Sciences.
Polytechnic University of Valencia + The University of Valencia = A new system to monitor signals to detectSARS-CoV-2 in environmental aerosols.
11. Chief minister Edappadi K Palaniswami formally inaugurated the newly created Mayiladuthurai district through video conferencing. It is ___ district of Tamil Nadu?
Answer: B) 38th
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister K Palaniswami inaugurated the newly-formed Mayiladuthurai district.
- The 38th district in the state has been carved out of Nagapattinam district.
- The new district comprises four taluks – Mayiladuthurai, Sirkazhi, Tarangambadi, and Kuthalam. It has a total population of 9.01 lakh.
- R Lalitha, who served as the special officer for district formation has taken charge as the district collector.
- IPS officer Srinatha has been appointed as the superintendent of police.
Capital : Chennai.
CM : Edappadi K. Palaniswami.
Governor : Banwarilal Purohit.
TN CM Palaniswami – Inaugurate newly-formed Mayiladuthurai district.
12. Coal India Ltd is constructing how many railway sidings at an estimated investment of Rs 3,370 crore?
Answer: B) 21
- State-owned Coal India Ltd (CIL) is constructing 21 railway sidings at an estimated investment of Rs 3,370 crore in four of its subsidiaries, an effort towards strengthening its rail infrastructure.
- CIL currently has around 152 rail sidings and the tally would go up to 173 by 2024.
- CIL is aiming to move about 555 MT of coal per year through mechanized means by FY’24.
- 10 – South Eastern Coalfields Ltd (SECL)
- 6 – Central Coalfields Ltd (CCL)
- 3 – Eastern Coalfields Ltd (ECL)
- 2 – Bharat Coking Coal Ltd
Coal India Limited (CIL):
Headquarters: Kolkata, West Bengal.
Head: Pramod Agarwal.
CIL – Construct 21 railway sidings at cost of Rs 3,370 crore.
13. Seaways Shipping and Logistics has entered into a pact with the MOL Logistics (IndiA) for providing end-to-end supply chain and turnkey logistics services to customers across the country. What is the headquarters of Seaways Shipping and Logistics?
A) Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
B) Bangalore, Karnataka
C) Hyderabad, Telangana
D) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
Answer: C) Hyderabad, Telangana
- Hyderabad-based Seaways’ group flagship Seaways Shipping and Logistics has entered into a pact with the MOL Logistics (IndiA) for providing end-to-end supply chain and turnkey logistics services to customers across the country.
- The partnership will also enable the two companies to associate in prospective bids and project proposals with various clients in India and abroad.
- MOL Logistics, which was earlier known as Mitsuiline Air Service Co Ltd, set up its Indian subsidiary in 2017.
Seaways Shipping + MOL Logistics = Supply chain, turnkey logistics services.
14. NHAI updates FASTag app to provide balance status to users. What is the name of that app?
A) ‘Yours FASTag App’
B) ‘Mine FASTag App’
C) ‘My FASTag App’
D) ‘Our FASTag App’
Answer: C) ‘My FASTag App’
- The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) has updated the FASTag app to add a new feature to provide balance status to users.
- NHAI has updated its Mobile App ‘My FASTag App’ with a new feature to ‘Check Balance Status’ by simply entering the vehicle number.
- This new feature will help both highway user and toll operator to check tag balance status on real-time basis and eliminate the problem of dispute on tag balance.
- In addition to this, the authority has reduced the refresh time limit of blacklisted tags from existing 10 minutes to 3 minutes, to expedite update of the status in the ETC (electronic toll collection) system and show the current status in the app for seamless passage.
- The My FASTag App will show FASTag wallet balance status in form of color codes that include green for active tag with sufficient balance, orange/amber for tags with low balance and red for blacklisted tags.
- In case of ‘orange’ status, the vehicle users can instantly recharge using the mobile app or avail instant recharge facility at toll plaza Point of Sale (POS).
Headquarters : New Delhi.
Chairman : Sukhbir Singh Sandhu.
NHAI – Update FASTag app to provide balance status to users.
15. The Natural History Park, Museum and Research Institute (NHPM&RI) has come up with Kapuluppada, Andhra Pradesh. What is an estimated cost of this project?
A) Rs 50 crore
B) Rs 40 crore
C) Rs 80 crore
D) Rs 30 crore
Answer: C) Rs 80 crore
The Natural History Park, Museum and Research Institute (NHPM&RI), to come up on 15 acres at Kapuluppada at an estimated cost of Rs 80 crore.
The Natural History Park:
- There will be a fossil park with fossils of dinosaurs procured from various parts of the globe.
- We have to procure dinosaur fossils from the UK and other countries.
- They have to be procured on the basis of bilateral trade agreement with those countries.
- There will be a gallery explaining the evolution of humankind.
- There will be another gallery, which deals with the geology of earth, its resources such as rocks, minerals, gems, diamonds.
- The detailed project report (DPR) will be ready in two to three months.
Capital : Amaravati.
CM: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy.
Governor : Biswa Bhushan Harichandan.
Kapuluppada, Andhra Pradesh – The Natural History Park, Museum and Research Institute (NHPM&RI).
16. India’s first pollinator park has inaugurated in which place?
A) Thrissur, Kerala
B) Chennai, Tamil Nadu
C) Haldwani, Uttarakhand
D) Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
Answer: C) Haldwani, Uttarakhand
- The country’s first pollinator park with over 40 species of butterflies, honeybees, birds and insects has been developed over four acres at Nainital’s Haldwani.
- Developed by the research wing of the Uttarakhand Forest Department, the colorful park was inaugurated by renowned butterfly expert Peter Smetacek.
- There are at present 40 species of pollinators at the park, including common jezebel, common emigrant, red pierrot, common sailer, plain tiger, the common leopard, the common moron, common grass yellow, common blue bottle, common four ring, peacock pansy, the painted lady, pioneer white, yellow orange tip and lime butterfly.
- Seasonal flower plants like salvia, aster, cosmos for winter and sunflower, guinea for summers have been planted.
Capital : Dehradun(Winter), Gairsain(Summer).
CM : Trivendra Singh Rawat.
Governor : Baby Rani Maurya.
Uttarakhand’s Haldwani – India’s first pollinator park.
17. Who inaugurates India’s highest Meteorological Centre in Leh, Ladakh?
A) Harsh Vardhan
B) Nirmala Sitharaman
C) S. Jaishankar
D) Piyush Goyal
Answer: A) Harsh Vardhan
- Union Minister of Earth Sciences, Dr Harsh Vardhan, virtually inaugurated India’s highest Meteorological Centre in Leh.
- Leh Met centre at 3500 meters highest from mean sea level is the highest in the Himalayan region.
- After Itanagar in Arunachal Pradesh, the Leh centre is the second MC located in the Himalayas.
Health and Family Welfare, Science and Technology and Earth Sciences:
Minister : Dr Harshavardhan.
Constituency : Chandni Chowk, Delhi.
Capital : Ladakh.
Lt Governor : Radha Krishna Mathur.
Dr Harsh Vardhan – Inaugurate India’s highest Meteorological Centre in Leh.