Daily Current Affairs September 23
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs September 23. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
September 23 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
IMPORTANT DAYS – Daily Current Affairs September 23
1. International Day of Sign Languages is observed on which date?
A) September 21
B) September 23
C) September 16
D) September 15
E) September 22
Answer: B) September 23
- Every year, September 23 is celebrated as the International Day of Sign Languages.
- The day supports and protects the linguistic identity of people who are deaf along with other users of sign languages.
- This year’s theme, declared by the World Federation of the Deaf (WFD) – ‘We Sign For Human Rights’ – projects “how each of us – deaf and hearing people around the world – can work together hand in hand to promote the recognition of our right to use sign languages in all areas of life.”
History of International Day of Sign Languages:
- According to the UN, the International Day of Sign Languages was first celebrated in the year 2018 as part of the International Week of the Deaf.
- “The choice of 23 September commemorates the date that the WFD was established in 1951,” the UN said in its website.
- The WFD has said that there are over 70 million deaf people across the globe and 80% of these are from developing countries.
- Collectively, over 300 different sign languages are used.
SPORTS – Daily Current Affairs September 23
2. Which state to host Hockey Junior World Cup in November-December?
E) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: D) Odisha
- Odisha will host the Men’s Hockey Junior World Cup at the Kalinga Stadium here from November 24 to December 5, Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik announced.
- At a function held here, Patnaik said Hockey India had recently approached the Odisha government to support them for the Men’s Junior World Cup to be held in two months time.
- Patnaik also unveiled the logo and the trophy for the event.
OBITUARY – Daily Current Affairs September 23
3. Yudhvir Singh Dadwal passed away. He was served as governor of which state?
E) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: E) Arunachal Pradesh
- Former Commissioner of Delhi Police, Yudhvir Singh Dadwal, has passed away here at his residence in Chhattarpur, sources said
- Dadwal, an Indian Police Service officer of the 1974-batch, served as the 16th police commissioner of Delhi from July 2007 to November 2010.
- Notably, the Commonwealth Games were held in Delhi during his tenure.
- Before being appointed as the Delhi Police chief, Dadwal served as the Additional Deputy Commissioner of Delhi Police in 1980.
- During 1993-1995, he was appointed as the Inspector General of Police (IGP) of the UT Chandigarh.
- After serving as the Delhi Police chief, he was appointed as the Director-General of the Central Paramilitary Force, Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) in November 2010.
- After retiring from the services, he was also appointed as the Governor of Arunachal Pradesh in 2016.
RANKING – Daily Current Affairs September 23
4. Which institution is topped in india in the list of QS Graduate Employability Rankings 2022?
A) IIT Mandi
B) IIT Varanasi
C) IIT Bombay
D) IIT Kozhikode
E) IIT Madras
Answer: C) IIT Bombay
|1||Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT)||Cambridge, United States|
|2||Stanford University||Stanford, United States|
|3||University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)||Los Angeles, United States|
|101-110||Indian Institute of Technology Bombay (IITB)||Mumbai, India|
|131-140||Indian Institute of Technology Delhi (IITD)||New Delhi, India|
|151-160||Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IITM)||Chennai, India|
- While three central universities — Delhi University, University of Mumbai and University of Calcutta have made it to the list, among the private universities in the list are OP Jindal Global University, Sonepat and BITS Pilani.
BANKING AND FINANCE – Daily Current Affairs September 23
5. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a ______ loan for urban flood protection and management in the Chennai–Kosasthalaiyar river basin in India?
A) $231 million
B) $211 million
C) $281 million
D) $291 million
E) $251 million
Answer: E) $251 million
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a $251 million loan for urban flood protection and management in the Chennai–Kosasthalaiyar river basin in India.
Chennai’s rapid urbanization has encroached on the city’s natural landscape, reducing water bodies and water retention capacity.
- The city is relatively low and flat, located on the highly exposed southeast coast and traversing the rivers of Adyar, Cooum, and Kosasthalaiyar.
- These make the city vulnerable to widespread flooding that results in loss to the economy and livelihoods.
- The project will establish climate-resilient urban flood protection infrastructure. It will construct 588 kilometers (km) of new stormwater drains, rehabilitate or replace 175 km of stormwater drains, improve 11 km stretches in the Ambattur, Ariyallur, Kadappakkam, and Korattur channels to enhance water-carrying capacity, and upgrade a stormwater pumping station and construct a new one.
- It will also construct 23,000 catch pits in roadside drains to recharge the groundwater aquifer and rehabilitate four disaster relief camps.
6. The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) and Which bank signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Joint Liability Groups (JLGs)?
A) Kotak Mahindra Bank
B) Federal Bank
C) Punjab National Bank
D) Jammu and Kashmir Bank
E) Bank of Maharashtra
Answer: D) Jammu and Kashmir Bank
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) and Jammu and Kashmir Bank signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on Joint Liability Groups (JLGs).
- The NABARD spokesman said that the MoU on JLG financing was signed and exchanged between NABARD, Jammu and Kashmir Regional Office and J&K Bank.
- Dr. Ajay Kumar Sood, Chief General Manager, NABARD, Jammu Regional Office and Anil Deep Mehta, President, Consumer and Commercial Banking, J&K Bank signed the MoU on behalf of NABARD and J&K Bank respectively.
- The MoU was signed in the presence of Rajesh Kumar Chhibber, Chairman and Managing Director, J&K bank.
7. Which company, SBI Card launch co-branded RuPay contactless credit card?
Answer: D) BPCL
- Fuel retailer BPCL and SBI Card announced the launch of a co-branded RuPay contactless credit card, offering fuel and other benefits.
- Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited (BPCL) and SBI Card have joined hands to launch the ‘BPCL SBI Card co-branded RuPay Contactless Credit Card’, according to a joint release.
- The card will provide rewarding fuel savings and other benefits to the customers, it said.
- The card will offer 13X reward points on every Rs 100 spent on fuel purchases at BPCL petrol pumps and a 1 per cent fuel surcharge waiver on every transaction up to Rs 4,000, translating to 4.25 per cent value back.
- Cardholders will also get accelerated savings on other categories of spends, which include groceries, departmental stores, dining, and movies.
- They will get 5X reward points on every Rs 100 spent on groceries, departmental stores, movies, and dining, among others.
- Besides, the customers can earn 2,000 activation bonus reward points worth Rs 500 on payment of the joining fee.
8. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced simultaneous sale and purchase of government securities worth _______ under open market operations?
A) ₹14,000 crore
B) ₹12,000 crore
C) ₹11,000 crore
D) ₹18,000 crore
E) ₹15,000 crore
Answer: E) ₹15,000 crore
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has announced simultaneous sale and purchase of government securities worth ₹15,000 crore under open market operations.
- As announced in Governor’s statement of June 04, 2021, the Reserve Bank will conduct open market purchase of government securities under the G-sec Acquisition Programme (G-SAP 2.0) for an aggregate amount of ₹15,000 crore on September 30, 2021.
- The reserve bank has taken the call after a review of current liquidity conditions and the exercise will be conducted on September 30.
- The Reserve Bank will buy and sell the G-Secs through a multi-security auction using the multiple price method.
- Eligible participants can submit their bids/offers in electronic format on the Reserve Bank of India Core Banking Solution (E-Kuber) system between 10:00 am and 11:00 am on September 30.
- The first such auction of ₹25,000 crore was held on April 15 under G-SAP 1.O. The RBI governor had then said that G-SAP has engendered a softening bias in G-sec yields which has continued since then.
- Given the positive response from the market, the RBI has decided to conduct the second purchase of government securities for an aggregate amount of ₹35,000 crore on May 20.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY – Daily Current Affairs September 23
9. _____ becomes first Indian SaaS startup to list on Nasdaq?
Answer: B) Freshworks
- Tech firm Freshworks made its debut on the Nasdaq stock exchange after a billion-dollar IPO, making it the first Indian SaaS company to list on the American bourse.
- The San Mateo, California-headquartered software as a service (SaaS) company was founded in 2010 by Girish Mathrubootham and Shan Krishnasamy in Chennai.
- The company had announced the pricing of its IPO of 28,500,000 shares of Class A common stock at USD 36 per share.
APPOINTMENTS – Daily Current Affairs September 23
10. Anirudh Tewari is appointed as Chief Secretary of which state?
Answer: C) Punjab
- Anirudh Tewari is appointed as new Punjab Chief Secretary replaced Vini Mahajan
AWARDS – Daily Current Affairs September 23
11. ______ bags prestigious CIPS Award?
Answer: C) GeM
- Government e Marketplace (GeM) was announced as the winner in the “Best Use of Digital Technology” category at the CIPS Excellence in Procurement Awards 2021 (CIPS Awards).
- GeM emerged the winner in this category after competing with some of the biggest and best names in procurement across the public and private sector globally, including GEP, Jaguar Land Rover, Royal Dutch Shell, Vendigital and Shell.
- GeM was shortlisted as a finalist in two additional categories as well, i.e., ‘Public Procurement Project of the Year’ and ‘Best Initiative to Build a Diverse Supply Base’ where it was in the august company of some path-breaking organizations with great initiatives.
- The award was received on behalf of GeM by Shri Rohit Vadhwana, First Secretary (Economic), High Commission of India, in the UK at a ceremony held London.
- The CIPS Awards are one of the leading recognitions around procurement globally, which is conducted under the aegis of The Chartered Institute of Procurement & Supply (CIPS), London.
- CIPS is a global not-for-profit organisation and professional body dedicated to promoting good practices in procurement and supply management, with a community across 150 countries.
- Government e Marketplace is a 100% Government owned Section 8 Company setup under the aegis of Department of Commerce, Ministry of Commerce and Industry for procurement of goods and services by Central and State Government organizations.
12. Who has been conferred with SDG Progress award?
A) Sher Bahadur Deuba
B) Bidya Devi Bhandari
C) Narendra Modi
D) Sheikh Hasina
E) Abdelmadjid Tebboune
Answer: D) Sheikh Hasina
- Prime Minister Sheikh Hasina has been conferred with SDG Progress award for Bangladesh’s steady progress in achieving the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) by the UN sponsored Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN).
- The SDSN was set up in 2012 under the auspices of the UN Secretary General. Led by development economist Jeffery Sachs, the SDSN seeks to mobilize global scientific and technological expertise to promote practical solutions for sustainable development.
INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS – Daily Current Affairs September 23
13. Accra named as UNESCO World Book Capital for ____?
Answer: A) 2023
- The Director-General of UNESCO, Audrey Azoulay, has named Accra (Ghana) as UNESCO World Book Capital for 2023, following the evaluation of the World Book Capital Advisory Committee.
- After Guadalajara (Mexico) in 2022, the city of Accra was selected for its strong focus on young people and their potential to contribute to the culture and wealth of Ghana.
- Accra’s proposed programme seeks to use the power of books to engage these young people, as an effective way of skilling up the next generation.
- The year of celebrations will start on 23 April 2023, on World Book and Copyright Day.
NATIONAL AFFAIRS – Daily Current Affairs September 23
14. Walmart and Flipkart have signed a memorandum of understanding with which state’s Department of MSMEs to establish long-term cooperation for providing capacity-building support to MSMEs in the state?
C) Tamil Nadu
Answer: C) Tamil Nadu
- Walmart and Flipkart have signed a memorandum of understanding with Tamil Nadu’s Department of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs) to establish long-term cooperation for providing capacity-building support to MSMEs in the state.
- Entrepreneurs and small businesses will receive training free of cost through a blended learning approach through the Walmart Vriddhi Supplier Development Programme (Walmart Vriddhi), delivered by knowledge partner Swasti.
- The programme provides opportunities to join online, offline and export channels, and reach pan-India and global marketplaces as part of the supply chains of Walmart, Flipkart and other leading companies.
- The programme will also organise training seminars and workshops to further enable the growth and development of small and medium businesses in the state.
- Launched in 2019, the Walmart Vriddhi programme aims to directly train 50,000 MSMEs across India for no cost with the business skills necessary to succeed as suppliers to Walmart, Flipkart, and other global marketplace platforms.
- Graduates of the programme are expected to play an integral role in helping Walmart triple its annual exports from India to 10 billion dollars by 2027.
- With e-institutes in Panipat and Agra as well as presence in other locations, the programme provides a digitally enhanced learning experience through online modules with personalised feedback and one-on-one advisory sessions.
15. Which state government has decided to cover farmers growing horticultural crops under ‘Mukhyamantri Bagwani Bima’ scheme?
C) Tamil Nadu
Answer: B) Haryana
- The Haryana government has decided to cover farmers growing horticultural crops under ‘Mukhyamantri Bagwani Bima’ scheme.
- A decision to this regard was taken in a meeting of the state cabinet held under the chairmanship of Chief Minister M L Khattar.
- This scheme has been designed as Horticulture Crop Assurance Scheme and named as MBBY with the aim to encourage farmers to cultivate high-risk horticulture crops.
- The parameters like hailstorms, frost, rainfall, flood, fire, etc., which lead to crop loss have been taken under the scheme.
- A total of 21 vegetable, fruit and spice crops will be covered under the scheme.
- Under this scheme farmers need to pay nominal Rs 750 for vegetable and spice crop and Rs 1000 for fruit crops against a sum assured of Rs 30,000 and Rs 40,000 respectively.
- The claim compensation will be based on survey and extent of loss in four categories of 25 per cent, 50 per cent, 75 per cent and 100 per cent.
- The scheme will be optional and will cover the entire state.
- Farmers will have to opt for this scheme while registering their crop and area on Meri Fasal Mera Byora (MFMB) portal.
- Season wise crop registration period will be fixed and notified from time to time.
- The scheme will be implemented at ‘Individual Field’ that is crop loss assessment will be done at the individual field level, the statement said.
- A seed capital of Rs 10 crore will be kept by the State Government, State and District Level Committees under Pradhan Mantri Fasal Bima Yojana (PMFBY) will monitor, review, and resolve the disputes at State Level as well as District Level.
16. Northern Coalfields Ltd (NCL) has joined hands with power major NTPC to install a 50 MW solar power project in _____?
C) Tamil Nadu
E) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: E) Madhya Pradesh
- State-owned CIL said its subsidiary Northern Coalfields Ltd (NCL) has joined hands with power major NTPC to install a 50 MW solar power project in Madhya Pradesh.
- This is the first ground mounted solar project of NCL for which project consultant NTPC has invited bids with a pre-bid date set on October 7 and tender opening date on October 22, Coal India (CIL) said in a statement.
- CIL NTPC Urja Pvt Ltd (CNUPL), a joint venture of Coal India Ltd and NTPC, which will co-ordinate for this entire project, is confident that the project would be completed within the stipulated timeframe of one year.
17. Which country hosts first India-United Kingdom Consular Dialogue through video conferencing?
A) New Zealand
Answer: B) India
- India hosted the first India-United Kingdom Consular Dialogue through video conferencing.
- The Indian delegation was led by Devesh Uttam, Joint Secretary in the Ministry of External Affairs and the UK side was led by Jennifer Anderson, Director Consular Services, Foreign, Commonwealth and Development Office.
- At this inaugural Consular Dialogue, the two sides discussed ways to further strengthen people-to-people contacts between the two countries as part of the India-UK 2030 roadmap.
- They also discussed ways to facilitate consular access and early resolution of consular grievances including through systematic information sharing, and cooperation on visas, extradition cases and mutual legal assistance.
- Both sides agreed to hold the next round of this Dialogue in 2022, in London, at a mutually convenient date.
18. Ayushman Bharat – Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana completes ___ years?
Answer: E) 3
- India’s flagship health programme, Ayushman Bharat – the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana has completed three years.
- Around two crore 20 lakh people have been benefited under the scheme launched on this day in 2018 by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- It is the world’s largest health care programme provides a health cover of five lakh rupees annually to vulnerable families and aims at benefiting more than ten crore poor families across the country.
19. Who inaugurates Aarogya Manthan 3.0 to mark the third anniversary of Ayushman Bharat?
A) Devusinh Chauhan
B) Piyush Goyal
C) Bhagwanth Khuba
D) Kiren Rijiju
E) Mansukh Mandaviya
Answer: E) Mansukh Mandaviya
- Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare Shri Mansukh Mandaviya inaugurated and chaired the inaugural session of Aarogya Manthan 3.0 to mark the third anniversary of Ayushman Bharat – Pradhan Mantri Jan Aarogya Yojana (AB PM-JAY) scheme for its three years successful implementation across the country, in the presence of Dr Bharati Pravin Pawar, Union Minister of State for Health and Family Welfare.
- Ayushman Bharat PM-JAY was launched on 23rd September 2018 from Ranchi by the Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi with the vision to achieve Universal Health Coverage (UHC).
- The theme of the program was ‘Service and Excellence’.
- Aarogya Manthan 3.0, a four-day hybrid (physical and virtual) event commenced by observing ‘Ayushman Bharat Diwas’.