Daily Current Affairs March 08
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs March 08. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
March 08 | Daily Current Affairs 2022
Important Days – Daily Current Affairs March 08
1. International Women’s Day 2022:
- International Women’s Day is observed annually on March 8 and celebrates the global “social, economic, cultural and political achievements of women,” according to the International Women’s Day website.
- The day also calls for action to advance gender equality.
- The day was born out of the women’s rights movement in industrializing countries during the early 1900s.
- The Socialist Party of America first declared National Women’s Day in 1909.
- It would be observed on the last Sunday of February until 1913.
- In 1910, at the second International Conference of Working Women, a gathering of women from activist and political organizations in Copenhagen, the idea of an International Women’s Day was proposed and approved.
- The day would be observed for the first time the following year on March 19, 1911 in several European countries.
- The celebrations included rallies and events calling for women’s right to vote and an end to gender discriminations.
- March 8 has been the fixed date for International Women’s Day since 1914, when the day was moved to be in line with Russian women who celebrated the day on February 23 on the Gregorian calendar.
- This year’s theme is #BreakTheBias and asks the world to call out instances of bias against women in the workplace, at school and at home.
- The campaign asks that people show their support for this year’s theme by posting selfies to social media posing with their arms crossed along with the hashtags #BreaktheBias and #IWD2022.
Color do you wear on International Women’s Day 2022:
- People have traditionally worn purple on International Women’s day.
- Purple, along with green and white are considered the colors of International Women’s Day.
- These colors have roots in the United Kingdom’s Women’s Social and Political Union from the early 1900’s.
Sports – Daily Current Affairs March 08
2. ISSF WC: India finish with 7 medals:
- The Indian team of Anish Bhanwala and Rythm Sangwan targeted gold in the 25m Rapid Fire Pistol mixed team event as India finished on top with 7 medals (4 Golds, 2 Silvers and a Bronze) at the ISSF Shooting World Cup.
- India beat Thailand 17- 7 in the gold medal match.
- Singapore bagged a bronze after beating Indonesia 16-14 in the bronze medal final.
Men’s 25m pistol team of Anish Bhanwala, Gurpreet Singh and Bhavesh Shekhawat won a silver in the Rapid Fire Pistol team.
- Indian shooting prodigy Saurabh Chaudhary clinched a gold medal in the Men’s 10M Air Pistol.
- In Junior World Cup medallist Esha Singh clinched a silver in the 10m Air Pistol women’s event in her senior debut.
- 10m Air Pistol women’s team clinched a gold.
- Women’s 25m Pistol team of Rythm Sangwan, Olympian Rahi Sarnobat and Esha Singh bagged gold medal.
- The mixed team of Akhil Sheoran and Shriyanka Sadangi bagged a bronze medal in 50m Rifle 3 Positions Mixed team event.
3. Priyanka Nutakki becomes the 23rd Woman Grandmaster of India:
- 19-year-old Priyanka Nutakki secured her final WGM-norm at MPL 47th National Women Chess Championship.
- She scored 7.0/9, performed at 2348 to become India’s latest Woman Grandmaster on 2nd March 2022.
- She was also placed third in the tournament. The first WGM-norm was scored in January 2019 and crossed the 2300 rating.
- The soft-spoken girl from Vijayawada, Andhra Pradesh, won her biggest online tournament, SPF Girls’ Invitational in June 2020.
- She earned her second WGM and maiden IM-norm in her third over-the-board tournament of the year 2021.
- A little over two months later, she delivered a stellar performance to become India’s latest Woman Grandmaster.
- In her third over-the-board tournament of the year, she scored her second WGM and maiden IM-norm at 7th Sunway Sitges Open 2021.
Banking and Finance – Daily Current Affairs March 08
4. RBI Guv Das launches UPI service for 40 cr feature phone users:
- RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das and National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) launched a new service, which will enable over 40 crore feature phone users to undertake digital payments in a secure way.
- The service christened UPI (unified payments interface) ‘123PAY’ is a three-step method to initiate and execute services for users which will work on simple phones which do not have an internet connection.
- The helpline christened ‘Digisaathi’ will assist the callers/users with all their queries on digital payments via website and chatbot.
- Users can visit www.digisaathi.info or call on 14431 and 1800 891 3333 from their phones for their queries on digital payments and grievances.
5. Bank of Baroda announces 2022 Edition of SaluteHerShakti Contest:
- On International Women’s Day, Bank of Baroda announced the second edition of the SaluteHerShakti contest to recognise and celebrate the inspiring women amongst us who in turn will empower the next generation of women.
- The contest requires people to share the stories of extraordinary women who have inspired them.
- The top three women chosen entries across all platforms will get to virtually interact with Bank of Baroda’s brand endorsers, sporting icons and role models to millions of Indians Olympian PV Sindhu & Team India cricketer Shafali Verma and also receive some exciting prizes.
- #SaluteHerShakti campaign is such an amazing way to shed light on extraordinary stories of women in our daily lives and to inspire other women to follow their dreams.
- The contest runs from March 8 till March 13 and entries can be submitted on any of the Bank’s official social media handles using the hashtag #SaluteHerShakti in the comment:
• Facebook handle: @bankofbaroda
• Instagram handle: @officialbankofbaroda
• Twitter handle: @bankofbaroda
• LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/company/bankofbaroda/.
Business and Economy – Daily Current Affairs March 08
6. Flipkart enters strategic alliance with Google Cloud to improve innovation:
- Google Cloud and e-commerce firm Flipkart, have entered into a multi-year strategic partnership to help fast-track Flipkart’s innovation and cloud strategy.
- The partnership will propel Flipkart into its next phase of growth and advance its vision of onboarding India’s next 200 million shoppers and lakhs of sellers.
- Our strategic alliance with Google Cloud will enable us to accelerate our digital transformation, power productivity and advance our innovation agenda.
- By leveraging Google Cloud’s secure and scalable global infrastructure and advanced networking technologies, Flipkart will be able to deliver robust app access and performance even during peak purchase seasons with heightened traffic.
- Flipkart will make its data platform more efficient by deploying Google Cloud’s advanced data analytics and machine learning technologies.
- This will enable the company to better analyze traffic and transactional data, unlock rich real-time insights into customer purchasing and shopping behaviour.
- This would also help identify trends and patterns with increased demand and create more personalized recommendations to enrich customer experience.
7. Reliance Industries announces opening of Jio World Centre in Mumbai’s BKC:
- Reliance Industries Ltd. has announced the opening of the country’s largest and multi-faceted destination, the Jio World Centre in Mumbai’s Bandra Kurla Complex (BKC).
- The Centre covers an expanse of 18.5 acres.
- Over 250 teachers from BMC schools and other schools across Mumbai were invited to attend the opening show.
- A first of its kind destination in India, the Jio World Centre includes a cultural centre, a musical fountain, an upscale retail experience, a curated selection of cafes and fine dining restaurants, serviced apartments and offices, and the state of the art convention facility.
- The centre will also be home to new and innovative culinary concepts including Oberoi 360 and the global culinary sensation, India Accent, a retail precinct with world class shopping experience and luxury brands.
- However, the epicenter of the culturally immersive experiences will be the crowning jewel the cultural centre, a one-of-its kind space for the artistic community, due to launch in 2023.
Appointments – Daily Current Affairs March 08
8. Delhi HC Chief Justice DN Patel next TDSAT Chairperson:
- The Centre has cleared the appointment of Delhi High Court Chief Justice DN Patel as the next Chairperson of the Telecom Disputes Settlement and Appellate Tribunal (TDSAT) has been approved by the Appointments Committee of Cabinet (ACC) chaired by the Prime Minister.
- Due to Justice DN Patel retirement as Chief Justice of Delhi HC on March 12 will replace the current TDSAT Chairperson Justice Shiva Kirti Singh.
9. Nitin Chugh is SBI’s head of digital banking:
- SBI has appointed Nitin Chugh as group head of digital banking at the level of deputy MD.
- Chugh was formerly MD & CEO of Ujjivan Small Finance Bank and head of digital banking at HDFC Bank.
- His appointment comes when the country’s largest lender has targeted an increase in digital lending and is aggressively promoting its Yono app.
- The bank had sought a candidate with at least 18 years of experience in digital leadership or transformational roles in the financial services sector.
- Of the 18 years, at least five needed to be at the senior management level.
10. Singapore’s T Raja Kumar appointed president of global money laundering watchdog:
- Singapore’s T Raja Kumar has been appointed as the president of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF), the global money laundering and terrorism financing watchdog, for a period of two years.
- He was selected to succeed Dr Marcus Pleyer of Germany during the FATF plenary.
- Mr Raja’s appointment marks the first time Singapore is taking on the organisation’s presidency.
- Mr Raja serves as a senior advisor at MHA and has been serving as head of Singapore’s delegation to the FATF since Jan 1, 2015.
- He has also been a member of the steering group, which provides advice to the FATF president, since July 2018.
- The FATF is an inter-governmental body established by the G7 in 1989 that sets international standards to prevent and combat money laundering, terrorism and proliferation financing.
- Singapore has been a member of the organisation since 1992.
International Affairs – Daily Current Affairs March 08
11. India and Singapore sign MoU to develop new products related to economic and societal challenges:
- Industry and research institutes from India and Singapore jointly to develop new products related to economic and societal challenges.
- Through a MoU on cooperation in the fields Science, Technology and Innovation signed between the Department of Science & Technology, Government of India, and Ministry of Trade & Industry, Government of Singapore.
- This Memorandum will remain in effect for a period of 5 (five) years and will be automatically extended for a successive period of 5 (five) years.
- It will encourage, develop and facilitate cooperation between India and Singapore in fields of common interest in science, technology, and innovation, including areas like
- Agriculture and food science and technology, advanced manufacturing and engineering, Green economy, energy, water, climate, and natural resources, Data science, Emerging Technologies, Advanced Materials, and Health and biotechnology. Other areas of common interest may also be included through mutual consent.
- Recognising the importance of international cooperation in the fields of science, technology, and innovation for the two countries’ economic and social development, the MoU would strengthen India-Singapore Science, Technology, and Innovation Collaboration.
12. Russia becomes world’s most sanctioned country:
- Due to its war on Ukraine, Russia has become the most sanctioned in the world, according to a New York-based sanctions watchlist site.
- Sanctions were first imposed by the US and its allies on Russia on February 22 a day after President Vladimir Putin declared the two Ukrainian rebel regions of Donetsk and Luhansk as “independent states”.
- After Russia announced its military operations against Russia on February 24, hundreds more sanctions followed.
- 2,754 sanctions were already in place against Russia before February 22 and 2,778 additional were imposed in the days following the assault, bringing the total to 5,532.
- Russia’s number now outranks Iran’s 3,616 sanctions, displacing Tehran from the top position, reports the BBC citing Castellum.AI as saying.
- According to the site, the countries and regions targeting Russia with sanctions are Switzerland (568), the European Union (518), Canada (454), Australia (413), the US (243), the UK (35) and Japan (35).
- Countries across the world are putting sanctions on Russia in an effort to stop the invasion of Ukraine.
13. Fifth session of the United Nations Environment Assembly:
- Fifth session of the United Nations Environment Assembly (UNEA-5.2) took place online and in Nairobi from 28 February – 2 March 2022.
- Hosted by the UN Environment Programme, the United Nations Environment Assembly brings together representatives of the 193 Member States of the UN, businesses, civil society and other stakeholders to agree on policies to address the world’s most pressing environmental challenges.
- The overall theme for UNEA-5 was “Strengthening Actions for Nature to Achieve the Sustainable Development Goals” it highlighting the pivotal role nature plays in our lives and in social, economic and environmental sustainable development.
- It aimed to create momentum for governments to build on and catalyze impact on multilateral environmental efforts to protect and restore the natural world on which our economies and societies depend.
- After UNEA-5.2, the Assembly convened a Special Session of the Assembly from 3 – 4 March 2022, devoted to the commemoration of the 50th anniversary of the creation of UN Environment Programme in 1972 (UNEP@50).
- Participants were encouraged to review the Practical Information Note for Participants which cover an extensive range of different issues such as health protocols, visa application, presentation of credentials and the registration process.
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs March 08
14. Jharkhand CM launches vocational skill training centre:
- Jharkhand Chief Minister Hemant Soren on Tuesday launched a vocational skill training centre in Dhanbad, in virtual mode, under the Tejaswini project on the occasion of International Women’s Day.
- Tejaswini project aims to improve completion of market-driven skills training and secondary education for adolescent girls and young women in the 14-24 age group in 17 districts will be connected with the education of classes 8-10 level, even by staying away from school.
- It is being done to empower women through various schemes.
- On this occasion, the chief minister along with Women, Child Development and Social Security minister Joba Manjhi released the Setu education curriculum.
15. Haryana govt presents Rs 1.77-lakh-cr Budget; announces Sushma Swaraj Award, scheme for women:
- The Haryana government on Tuesday presented a Rs 1.77-lakh-crore Budget for the financial year 2022-23, a rise of 15.6 percent over the Budget size of Rs 1.53-lakh-crore Budget in 2021-22.
- He presented his third Budget in the state Assembly.
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar announced the ‘Sushma Swaraj Award’ for women for their significant contribution or achievements in different walks of life in national and international spheres.
- The Sushma Swaraj Award will carry a commendation with an award money of Rs 5 lakh.
- And also announced the Matrushakti Udyamita Scheme to provide support to women for becoming entrepreneurs.
- Haryana state women from families whose annual income is less than Rs 5 lakh based on ‘Parivar Pehchan Patra’ (family ID) verified data and who wish to become entrepreneurs in any enterprise, trade, or business will be provided access to soft loans by financial institutions.
- The loans will be to the extent of Rs 3 lakh, for which an interest subvention of seven percent will be provided for three years through the Haryana Women Development Corporation
16. V Srinivas inaugurates Symposium on ‘Imagining India-2047 through innovation’:
- Union Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pension Secretary V Srinivas has inaugurated a three-day conference of 160 young civil service officers, entrepreneurs and academicians across the country in Madras IIT, to prepare a concept paper on the topic, “Imagining India-2047.”
- The use of digital technology in governance has simplified the service delivery to the public and also made the decision-making process very effective.
- Referring to e-Governance, it has helped in making many offices paperless, and has improved the systemic efficiency.
- The bridge between the public and Governments is being reduced more and more through e-Governance initiatives.
- Use of disruptive technologies like data analytics, block chain and artificial intelligence in governance is unavoidable as they play a constructive role in nation building.
17. Chennai gets India’s first ambulance for street animals:
- An animal welfare charity has launched India’s first ambulance for street animals in Chennai.
- The Blue Cross of India has started the project in collaboration with international animal welfare organisation Four Paw.
- Launched by Madras High Court Justice Dr Anitha Sumanth, the Stray Animal Care programme will be a “hospital on wheels” with an on-board veterinarian to provide on-site treatment to injured and sick street animals.
- Apart from the veterinarian, the animal ambulance will also include a paraveterinary worker cum driver.
- The ambulance will include a treatment table, two fans, an inverter, a fridge, and drawers for sterile products and bandages.
- It will also come with a washbasin, an anti-skid shock-absorbing mat, a stretcher trolley, a retractable doctor’s seat, a retractable tarpaulin, dog-catching equipment, two movable cages to hold dogs, and overhead cupboards.
- There will also be a provision to administer intravenous fluids and oxygen on board.
- The charity is hopeful that this ambulance facility will be a game changer as Chennai’s size makes it difficult to cover it in its entirety, that too with limited resources.
- Transportation is also a big stress for the animals and on-site treatment will do away with the need for it as well.
18. Ministry of Doner Organized ‘Nari Shakti of North East’ on the Occasion of International Women’s Day:
- As a part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav commemorating India’s 75 years of India’s Independence, Ministry of Development of North Eastern Region celebrated International Women’s Day with much fanfare & stakeholders outreach with a range of activities planned on social media and offline activities.
- The Campaign kick started with a greeting poste, snippet from the Women Personnel from MDoNER and its associate organizations including NEC & NERCRMS.
- The short video snippet contained the Message of ‘Happy Women’s Day’ in the native languages of the Women Work Force.
- Team MDoNER & various other departments of GoI also took part in the signature campaign that was organized at Vigyan Bhawan, New Delhi.
- The major highlight of Women’s Day Celebration today was ‘Virtual Town Hall’ Meeting comprising the officials of MDoNER, NEC, NERCRMS& its associate departments.
- The concluding Remark was given by Secretary, NEC, Shri K. Mosas Chalai. Town hall Meeting showcased & recognized the efforts and achievements of the ‘Woman Work Force’ towards the development and growth of North Eastern Region.
- A Social Media Campaign with the theme ‘Thank You Nari Shakti of North East’ was carried out on the social channels of MDoNER.
- The campaign celebrated the great achievements of our Nari Shakti from the North Eastern Region.
19. Atal Innovation Mission, NITI Aayog joins hands with Snap Inc to drive AR skilling amongst Indian youth:
- Atal Innovation Mission, NITI Aayog announced their partnership with Snap Inc. to drive Augmented Reality (AR) skilling among the Indian youth.
- Snap Inc. is a global camera company and Snap’s camera plays a transformative role in how people experience the world around them, combining what they see in the real world, with all that’s available to them in the digital world.
- Over a two-year timeframe, Snap Inc is expected to train over 12,000 teachers affiliated with the Atal Tinkering Labs on Augmented Reality, enabling the reach of the program to millions of students affiliated with ATL’s network of schools.
- Snap Inc also announced its partnership with the Atal Incubation Centers (AICs) to support the Indian start-up ecosystem with AR advertising bootcamps, Ad credits and other opportunities.
- The partnership kick started, on International Women’s Day, with the launch of a nationwide Lensathon (AR making hackathon), throughout the month of March.
- The hackathon will be focused on increasing participation of girls and young women over 13 interested in AR.
- Snap will be hosting special workshops aimed to introduce young women in India to AR and skills that will be necessary to navigate the digital economy of the future.
- Workshops are open to participants aged 13 years and upwards and will take place at 16 all-women and 5 co-ed educational institutes across India.
- The workshops will be hosted by Women Lens Creators, with advanced sessions led by members from the Snap Lens network for women across India to build AR experience in themes representing the women community.
20. NIRDPR signs MoU with UNICEF India:
- National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj (NIRDPR) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with UNICEF, India on the occasion of International Women’s day.
- The objective of this MoU is to undertake joint projects for the welfare of women and children in rural areas.
- Both the parties will use their expertise in research and capacity building to strengthen the MoU.
- NIRDPR is focusing its work on engendering development at grassroots level and also towards socially secured Gram Panchayat.
- Sustainable Development Goals can be achieved only when issues faced by children.