Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
July 3 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. International Plastic Bag Free Day is observed on which date?
A) July 2
B) July 3
C) July 4
D) July 5
E) July 1
Answer: B) July 3
International Plastic Bag Free Day 2021:
- The International Plastic Bag Free Day is observed on July 3 annually.
- The day is observed to raise awareness about the grave issues of plastic pollution and the serious threat that it poses to the natural environment ranging from land to marine life.
- As plastic bags take around 100-500 years to decomposes, it creates land pollution as it is dumped in landfills and proves hazardous to the marine animal if gets washed into oceans.
- So, it becomes imperative to raise an alarm against the ill effects of single-use plastic bags.
International Plastic Bag Free Day: History & Significance:
- The campaign started by Zero Waste Europe’s Bag Free World became a global initiative to aware people around the world.
- The day, July 3 has been designated as the International Plastic Bag Free Day to promote the use of eco-friendly items such as paper bags or cloth bags instead of plastic bags and get rid of the single-use plastic bags.
International Day of Cooperatives:
- The International Day of Cooperatives is celebrated across the world every year on the first Saturday of July, with an aim to increase awareness about cooperatives and also promote the day’s ideas of international solidarity, economic efficiency, equality and world peace, according to a statement by the International Cooperative Alliance (ICA).
- A cooperative is defined as a business setup that is owned and operated by all those who work for it.
- The International Day of Cooperatives has been observed by cooperatives globally since 1923.
- However, it was officially proclaimed by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on the centenary of the ICA in 1995, the ICA said in its statement.
- This year, it is being observed on July 3.
- This will be the 27th year of the International Day of Cooperatives recognized by the UN and the 99th International Cooperative Day.
- This is the second consecutive year that the event is being held amid the raging coronavirus disease (Covid-19) pandemic
- The theme for 2021 is “Rebuild better together”.
- Cooperatives will present how they are coping with Covid-19 with solidarity and resilience and also offering communities a “people-centered and environmentally just recovery”
- Last year, the event was celebrated on July 4 with the theme “Cooperatives for climate action”.
2. Sha’Carri Richardson was Banned how many months for testing positive for cannabis during her U.S. trials victory in June?
Answer: E) 1
- American sprinter Sha’Carri Richardson, expected to be one of the biggest draws at the Tokyo Olympics, will miss the 100 metres at the Games after accepting a one-month ban for testing positive for cannabis during her U.S. trials victory in June.
- Richardson was aiming to become the first American woman to win the Olympic 100m title since Gail Devers in 1996 after posting 10.72 seconds in April – one of her five runs under 11 seconds this season.
3. International Hockey Federation (FIH) named _______ and ______ as the host countries for the 2023 men’s and women’s Junior World Cups?
A) Malaysia, Chile
B) Chile , Malaysia
C) Iran, Chile
D) Chile, Iran
E) Iran, Iraq
Answer: A) Malaysia, Chile
- International Hockey Federation (FIH) named Malaysia and Chile as the host countries for the 2023 men’s and women’s Junior World Cups.
- Kuala Lumpur and Santiago will host the matches of the men’s and women’s Junior World Cups.
- The FIH Junior Hockey World Cup is the flagship event for under-21 players and involves 32 of the world’s best national teams (16 Men and 16 Women).
4. The prestigious Indian Open Golf was cancelled for the second straight year running owing to the COVID-19 pandemic. This game is first staged in which year?
Answer: C) 1964
- The prestigious Indian Open Golf was canceled for the second straight year running owing to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The tournament, now in its sixth decade and co-sanctioned by European and Asian Tours, was to be held here from October 28-31.
- The Indian Open, which was first staged in 1964, was last held in 2019.
- In 2019, Stephen Gallacher became the first Scotsman to win the National Open of India.
2022 Commonwealth shooting and archery in India cancelled due to COVID threat:
- The Commonwealth archery and shooting championships, which were scheduled to be held in Chandigarh before the 2022 Birmingham Games, have been cancelled due to the ”uncertainty” posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The decision was taken by the Commonwealth Games India (CGI) Executive Board with the support of the Commonwealth Games Federation (CGF).
5. Sudhindra Haldodderi passed away. He was related to which field?
D) 1 & 2
E) 1, 2 & 3
Answer: D) 1 & 2
- Former Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) scientist and science writer Sudhindra Haldodderi (61) passed away at a private hospital here.
- Incidentally, he was awarded the prestigious Dr Anupama Niranjana Medical and Science Literature Award by the Kannada Pustaka Pradhikara on the same day, but he had died unaware of it.
BANKING AND FINANCE
6. The Reserve Bank of India imposed a penalty of how much amount on Punjab and Sind Bank for non-compliance with certain provisions of directions on ‘Cyber Security Framework in Banks?
A) Rs 15 lakh
B) Rs 35 lakh
C) Rs 45 lakh
D) Rs 55 lakh
E) Rs 25 lakh
Answer: E) Rs 25 lakh
- The Reserve Bank of India imposed a penalty of Rs 25 lakh on Punjab and Sind Bank for non-compliance with certain provisions of directions on ‘Cyber Security Framework in Banks.
- Meanwhile, a penalty of Rs 1 lakh on the Nagar Sahkari Bank Limited, Etawah for contravention of certain regulations, including the one on ‘Income Recognition, Asset Classification, Provisioning and Other Related Matters – UCBs’.
7. NABARD sanctions Rs 388 crore for drinking water, road projects in which state?
C) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: D) Odisha
- NABARD has sanctioned an assistance of Rs 388 crore for Odisha under the Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) for setting up four mega piped drinking water supply projects.
- The sanctioned amount would also be used for construction or up-gradation of 20 village roads across 15 districts in the state.
- The four mega projects will come up in Koraput district (covering Boipariguda block), Balasore district (covering Nilgiri block), and Malkangiri district (covering Malkangiri and Kalimela blocks).
- These projects are intended to provide 70 LPCD (litre per capita per day) clean, safe, hygienic potable drinking water at the consumer end through a functional household tap connection (FHTC) with eight hours of supply in the project area.
- On completion, these projects are expected to provide clean and safe drinking water to 2.57 lakh rural people in 467 villages and achieve the goal of supplying drinking water in the state, by 2022.
- Further, the road projects are expected to improve the livelihood of 1.52 lakh people in 162 villages.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
8. Which port flags off first coal export consignment to Bangladesh?
A) Mumbai Port
B) Kolkata Port
C) Chennai Port
D) Pune Port
E) Bengaluru Port
Answer: B) Kolkata Port
- Export consignment of Indian coal from the Kolkata port commenced as the cargo was flagged off from its Netaji Subhas Dock to Bangladesh.
- The coal is sourced from Dhanbad and going to Rampal Power Station in Khulna.
- The 1320 MW plant is being developed by Bangladesh India Friendship Power Company Limited, a joint venture between India’s NTPC and Bangladesh Power Development Board.
- The first rake of coal about 3,800 tonnes is expected to be unloaded at the captive jetty of the power plant in 3-4 days.
- The exporter of coal is Godavari Commodities and is handled end to end by ZS logistics.
About 20,000 tonne of Indian coal will be sourced from Syama Prasad Mookerjee Port, Kolkata, (formerly Kolkata Port Trust) to Bangladesh each month.
9. The country’s foreign exchange reserves surged by how much amount to touch a record high of USD 608.999 billion?
A) USD 2.066 billion
B) USD 1.066 billion
C) USD 3.066 billion
D) USD 4.066 billion
E) USD 5.066 billion
Answer: E) USD 5.066 billion
- The country’s foreign exchange reserves surged by USD 5.066 billion to touch a record high of USD 608.999 billion in the week ended June 25, 2021, RBI data showed.
- In the previous week ended June 18, the reserves had declined by USD 4.418 billion to USD 603.933 billion.
- FCA rose by USD 4.7 billion to USD 566.24 billion.
- Expressed in dollar terms, the foreign currency assets include the effect of appreciation or depreciation of non-US units like the euro, pound and yen held in the foreign exchange reserves.
- Gold reserves rose by USD 365 million to USD 36.296 billion in the period under review, the data showed.
- The special drawing rights (SDRs) with the International Monetary Fund (IMF) remained unchanged at USD 1.498 billion.
- The country’s reserve position with the IMF increased marginally by USD 1 million to USD 4.965 billion in the week, the data showed.
ACQUISITIONS AND MERGERS
10. Which company has completed acquisition of the NxT Digital Business from Larsen and Toubro (L&T)?
B) Westghats Technologies
Answer: C) Mindtree
- Mindtree on Friday said it has completed acquisition of the NxT Digital Business from Larsen and Toubro (L&T).
- In May this year, Mindtree had announced it will acquire the NxT Digital Business from Larsen and Toubro (L&T) for Rs 198 crore, a move that will enable the mid-sized IT firm to capture opportunities in the Internet of Things (IoT) and Industry 4.0 space.
- L&T is also the promoter/holding company of Mindtree with a 61.03 per cent stake in the Bengaluru-based company.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
11. “I Will Not Bear You“ is authored by whom?
A) Michael Wolff
B) Valerie Biden Owens
C) RJ Palacio
D) Pramod K Nayar
E) Usha Akella
Answer: E) Usha Akella
- I Will Not Bear You Sons is authored by Usha Akella and published by Spinifex Press
‘The Day of the Jackal’ is authored by Frederick Forsyth.
- The Fourth Lion: Essays for Gopalkrishna Gandhi Edited by Venu Madhav Govindu & Srinath Raghavan and published by Aleph Book Company.
12. Pushkar Singh Dhami is appointed as the new CM of which state?
B) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: E) Uttarakhand
- Pushkar Singh Dhami was elected as the leader of the BJP legislature party, paving the way for him to take over as the eleventh Chief Minister of Uttarakhand.
- Dhami, who is a two-time MLA from Khatima in Udham Singh Nagar district, replaces Tirath Singh Rawat who resigned.
13. Atul Keshap took charge as United States’ new envoy to which country?
D) New Zealand
Answer: E) India
- Atul Keshap took charge as United States’ new envoy to India. He most recently served as the Ambassador to Sri Lanka and Maldives.
- The US state department said, appointment of the Indian-American career diplomat, an old India-hand at the US state department will help reinforce the close US partnership with the Government and people of India.
14. Which organisation has been awarded the world’s most innovative Investment Promotion Agency 2021 by OCO Global?
E) Invest India
Answer: E) Invest India
15. Team India 2021 wins ____ Grand Awards and ___ Special Awards at Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF)?
Answer: C) 9,8
- Team India 2021 won 9 Grand Awards and 8 Special Awards at Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF) for innovations ranging from identification of genes responsible that resist abiotic stress in species to augmented reality smart stethoscope that allows non-medicals to perform accurate pulmonary screening.
- These innovations were by young students who received the awards and brought accolades home.
- Prof. Ashutosh Sharma, Secretary, Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India, virtually interacted with the 26 winners of the Initiative for Research and Innovation in STEM -IRIS National Fair, who participated as ‘Team India 2021’ in the Regeneron International Science and Engineering Fair (ISEF).
- These students have competed with 1833 budding scientists from 64 countries, regions, and territories across the globe and won 17 awards.
- IRIS National Fair was held virtually this year and saw participation from more than 65,000 students and science enthusiasts, wherein the projects represented a wide range of scientific disciplines and were judged under 21 categories.
- Each project went through a stringent judging process to select Team India 2021. The team was subsequently mentored by the IRIS Scientific Review Committee members to prepare it for participation in ISEF.
- ‘IRIS National Fair’ is a program of EXSTEMPLAR Education Linkers Foundation; funded by Broadcom and supported by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India.
- School students based in India in the age group 10 to 17 with innovative projects can participate in it responding to invitations for applications.
- IRIS aligns with 5 national level mega-fairs – National Children Science Congress (NCSC); Science Fair by National Council of Science Museums (NCSM); Jawaharlal Nehru Science Fair by National Council of Educational Research & Training (NCERT); Central Board of Secondary Education (CBSE) Science Exhibition; Innovation in Science Pursuit for Inspired Research (INSPIRE) awards program.
- To ensure that the best quality projects from across the country represent India and compete on an international platform, the best-performing students from these fairs are encouraged to participate in the IRIS fair. Selected National Award-winning projects from each of these fairs are invited to participate in Mentoring and Evaluation Camps.
- They are motivated to develop their projects to meet international standards, after which 5 projects per fair are selected for the IRIS National fair as lateral entries.
- A 70: 30 model is followed whereby 70 percent of the students are selected from open competition and 30 percent from among the best 5 in the other fairs.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
16. Sirisha Bandla will become the second Indian-born woman to fly into space on July 11. How many people fly into space?
Answer: B) 5
- Sirisha Bandla will become the second Indian-born woman to fly into space on July 11.
- She will be one of the five people alongside Virgin Galactic’s billionaire founder Richard Branson to travel to space, in what will be the company’s fourth crewed test space flight.
- Announced, the mission will take off nine days ahead of the departure of billionaire Amazon founder Jeff Bezos’ trip to space, which was announced last month.
17. Which edition of India-Ghana Foreign Office Consultations were held in Ghana’s capital Accra?
Answer: D) 2
- The Second India-Ghana Foreign Office Consultations were held in Ghana’s capital Accra.
Both sides undertook a comprehensive review of the entire gamut of bilateral, regional and international issues of mutual interest.
- Rahul Chhabra, Secretary (Economic Relations) in the Ministry of External Affairs from Indian side and Kwaku Ampratwum Sarpong, Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs from the Ghanaian side co-chaired the meeting.
- The co-chairs took stock of exchange of bilateral visits, holding of Joint Commission Meeting, bilateral trade and investment, development partnership, capacity building, defence cooperation, security related issues, among other things.
- Both sides agreed to take steps to enhance the depth and momentum of engagement which would be to mutual benefit.
- Both sides noted with appreciation their cooperation on COVID-19 related issues.
- This includes donation of 50 thousand COVID vaccines by India to Ghana as a gesture of friendship and solidarity and six lakh Covishield made-in-India vaccines under COVAX initiative.
- An MOU for cooperation between India’s Global Centre for Nuclear Energy Partnership and Ghana Atomic Energy Commission was also signed.
18. NDMC, which organisation join hands to boost municipal services under ‘Digital India’?
Answer: E) CSC
- An MoU was signed between the North Delhi Municipal Corporation and CSC e-Governance Services India Limited at the Civic Centre here to facilitate better services to the citizens of north Delhi.
- The common Service Centres (CSC) scheme is one of the mission mode projects under the Digital India Programme of the Union government.
- CSC has been set up by the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology to oversee the implementation of the CSC scheme.
- CSC scheme provides a centralized collaborative framework for the delivery of services to citizens.
19. Which Airport launched ‘Operation Paravaah’, a multifaceted infrastructure development programme?
A) Mumbai International Airport Ltd
B) Cochin International Airport Ltd
C) Chennai International Airport Ltd
D) Pune International Airport Ltd
E) Bengaluru International Airport Ltd
Answer: B) Cochin International Airport Ltd
- The Cochin International Airport Ltd launched ‘Operation Paravaah’, a multifaceted infrastructure development programme aimed at integrating the flood mitigation projects of CIAL and local self-government bodies.
- Operation Pravaah aims to integrate projects already initiated by CIAL with that of the District Administration and various Local Self Government bodies to prevent flooding of airport facilities and nearby panchayats.
- CIAL has undertaken works at an outlay of around Rs 130 crore for flood mitigation in and around the airport.
20. Ministry of Health and Family Welfare joins hands with which app to spread awareness about COVID-19 vaccination?
Answer: C) ShareChat
- The Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHWF) in partnership with Indic language social media platform, ShareChat, and India’s number one short video app, Moj organised a webinar to spread awareness about COVID appropriate behaviour and the world’s largest vaccination drive.
- The event was supported by Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) and was held on the occasion of World Social Media Day.
- More than 400 ShareChat and Moj influencers were part of this event. Launched with an incentive to make influencers act as catalysts, to educate and share reliable information with their community of followers.
- During the webinar an actionable Toolkit was also shared which listed out the steps that social influencers can take to encourage COVID appropriate behaviour and taking the vaccine.
- The informational webinar encouraged the social influencers to act as advocates to amplify and share accurate and credible information on COVID-19, counter vaccine hesitancy and misinformation.
- There was strong participation from the Ministry with various senior bureaucrats including Ms. Padmaja Singh; Lav Agarwal amongst other senior officials.
- Ajit Varghese, Chief Commercial Officer, ShareChat and Moj also participated.
21. Which Ship successfully completed survey action around the site of ill-fated MV X-Press Pearl?
A) INS Tabar
B) INS Sarvekshak
C) INS Cuba
D) INS Gurav
E) INS Vijaya
Answer: B) INS Sarvekshak
- Indian Navy’s Hydrographic Survey Ship INS Sarvekshak successfully completed survey action around the site of ill-fated MV X-Press Pearl on July 2 and handed over the survey data to the Sri Lankan authorities.
- The ship equipped with the state-of-the-art survey equipment including the Side Scan Sonar was deployed on June 25th at the request of the Government of Sri Lanka.
- The survey operations in three search areas around the wreck were progressed in coordination with Sri Lanka Navy and Sri Lanka’s National Aquatic Resources Research and Development Agency (NARA).
- The ship undertook a total of 807 miles of Side Scan Sonar survey and identified 54 prominent underwater debris from MV X-Press Pearl and also one additional uncharted wreck.
- The survey of the wreckage area would facilitate the issuance of advisory to both mariners and fishermen, and the subsequent removal of debris by Sri Lankan authorities, thereby ensuring the safety of navigation for marine traffic operating through Colombo port.
- The X-Press Pearl reported an onboard acid leak and caught fire just as it was due to enter the Colombo harbour on May 20.
- The fire was put out only after 13 days.
- In June, Sri Lanka’s Defense Secretary Gen Kamal Gunaratne (Retd) had expressed his gratitude to the Indian High Commissioner in Colombo for the support extended to douse the fire on vessel X-Press Pearl.
- The Marine Environment Protection Authority said that the burning of the X Press Pearl vessel had caused a massive environmental disaster as beaches from the south coast to the west coast had been damaged by debris washed ashore.
- According to local media reports, the Sri Lankan government is set to claim a whopping 40 million US dollars in damages due to the X-Press Pearl fire incident.
- INS Sarvekshak is based at Southern Naval Command at Kochi and is fitted with state-of-the-art survey equipment like Deep Sea Multi beam echo sounder system, Side Scan Sonar, Sound Velocity Profilers, and a fully automated digital surveying and processing system.
- In addition, the ship carries a Chetak helicopter which was extensively deployed during the survey for aerial recce.
- In the past, INS Sarvekshak has also undertaken foreign cooperation surveys in Sri Lanka, Mauritius, Seychelles, Tanzania and Kenya, said the release.
- India and Sri Lanka share a strong bond and partnership, and this survey operation undertaken has been another milestone in strengthening cooperation and understanding between the two countries and reinforcing the shared values.
22. WORLD’S third largest cricket stadium to be constructed in which place?
Answer: E) Jaipur
- The stage is all set for the construction of world’s third largest cricket stadium in the Pink City as the Jaipur Development Authority has allotted land to Rajasthan Cricket Association.
- The new stadium will have the capacity to accommodate 75,000 people and shall be constructed in two phases.
- Under the first phase, it shall be constructed with a capacity of 45,000 people while in the second phase, its capacity will be expanded to 30,000 people.
- The stadium to be constructed on around 100 acres of land and will be completed in 2.5 – 3 years with an investment of around Rs 650 crore.
- The BCCI has given a grant of Rs 100 crore while loan worth Rs 100 crore will be collected. Rs 90 crore will be collected by the RCA and others.
- Under the first phase, investment of Rs 400 crore will be made.
- RCA will take a loan of Rs 100 crore, Rs 90 core will be generated via corporate box.
- The first largest stadium — Narendra Modi Stadium is situated in Ahmedabad while the second largest cricket stadium is situated in Australia’s Melbourne.
23. Which country renames 17 govt schools after freedom fighters, soldiers who died for the country?
D) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: E) Punjab
- Education Minister Vijay Inder Singla said at least 17 government schools located in Sangrur, Jalandhar, Ludhiana, Patiala, Hoshiarpur, SBS Nagar, Tarn Taran, Amritsar, SAS Nagar and Fatehgarh Sahib districts have been renamed after freedom fighters, army men and soldiers who sacrificed their lives for the country.
- Singla said that four schools of Sangrur district have been renamed as: Gadari Baba Thakur Das Ji Government High Smart School (village Dhura), Shaheed Sepoy S.
- Mukand Singh Government Senior Secondary School (Dharmgarh); S. Baja Singh Government Middle School (Kalaudi) and Harnam Singh Government Senior Secondary School (Chahar).
- Meanwhile, Government Senior Secondary Smart School Haans Kalan of Ludhiana has been renamed as Shaheed Uttam Singh Haans Government Senior Secondary School Haans Kalan and Government Middle School Baddowal Ludhiana has been named after Shaheed Sepoy Sukhdev Singh.
- Government Elementary School Kalehana in Patiala has been named after freedom fighter Banta Singh Dhaliwal, Government Primary School Bilaspur in district Hoshiarpur has been named after Shaheed Amandeep Singh; Government Senior Secondary Gobindpura district SBS Nagar has been named after Desh Bhagat Master Kabul Singh and Government Primary Smart School Gosal, SBS Nagar has been named after Babbar Dalip Singh.
- Government Senior Secondary School (Boys) Chohla Sahib in Tarn Taran district has been renamed as Lance Naik Shaheed Shingara Singh Government Senior Secondary School.
- Singla said Government Girls Senior Secondary School Nehru Garden, Jalandhar has been named after Late Lala Jagat Narayan and Government High School Kandala in district SAS Nagar (Mohali) has been named after Shaheed Naik Gajjan Singh.
- The minister further said that Government Elementary School Bhakna Kalan in Amritsar district has been named after Shaheed Gursahib Singh, Government Senior Secondary School Lopoke, Amritsar after Shaheed Bhai Mewa Singh, Government Middle School Maure, Amritsar after Namdhari Shaheed Hakam Singh and Government High School Ajner in Fatehgarh Sahib district has been named after Shaheed Taara Singh.
24. Which state has notified a scheme under which one-time financial assistance will be provided to the family members of those who lost their lives due to COVID-19?
B) Andhra Pradesh
E) Tamil Nadu
Answer: C) Goa
- The Goa government has notified a scheme, under which one-time financial assistance will be provided to the family members of those who lost their lives due to COVID-19.
- The notification says that the objective of this scheme is to provide one-time ex-gratia of Rs two lakh to the families of a person, who died due to COVID-19 infection, and whose income limit does not exceed Rs eight lakh per annum.
- The scheme allows only one claim per family.
- The notification mentions that the beneficiary should be a resident of the state for minimum 15 years.
- The surviving spouse or dependent children can apply for the benefit of the schemepanaji.