Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
July 2 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. World Sports Journalists Day is observed on which date?
A) July 2
B) July 3
C) July 4
D) July 5
E) July 1
Answer: A) July 2
- Sports are an integral part of human life that builds the character and personality of a person.
- We all enjoyed playing some sports in our childhood.
- Some put it as a profession at a later period of time.
- But the ones who integrate both sports and journalism as their profession are called sports journalists.
- So, every year July 2nd is dedicated to all the sports journalists across the world.
- The term sports journalist signifies covering and writing news related to sports and its events.
World Sports Journalists Day: History:
- It marks the anniversary of the International Sports Press Association(AIPS), established in 1924.
- Its headquarters is based in Switzerland. Every year, Sports Journalists Day is held on July 2nd across the world.
- In 1994, AIPS introduced World Sports Journalists Day in order to celebrate the anniversary of its establishment.
- Sports journalism started in the early 1800s as an important part of the elite class and transitioned to the news business with a dedicated sports column.
- Later it also gained popularity in the middle and lower classes, which led to more content coverage in publications.
- The different forms of sports journalism include play-by-play, game recap analysis, and investigative journalism on important developments in the field of sport.
World UFO Day:
- World UFO Day is celebrated every year on the second day of July to spread awareness about unidentified flying objects and aims to acknowledge the existence of UFOs.
- The day was first observed in 2001 by UFO researcher Haktan Akdogan.
- On the day, people gather together to watch the skies looking for extraterrestrial objects.
- Earlier, the day was celebrated on June 24 by some people while others observed it on July 2.
- Later, July 2 was officially declared as World UFO Day.
- It was also celebrated on June 24 because as per aviator Kenneth Arnold, nine unusual objects flew over Washington in the early 1990s on that day.
- July 2 is celebrated as World UFO Day to commemorate the supposed UFO crash incident in Roswell New Mexico in 1947.
- Thousands of researchers and paranormal enthusiasts gather for the UFO festival in Roswell every year.
2. Sumit Malik was banned for how many years by UWW after his B sample also returned positive for a prohibited stimulant?
Answer: D) 2
- His hopes of competing in the Olympics over, Indian wrestler Sumit Malik was banned for two years by the sport’s world governing body UWW after his B sample also returned positive for a prohibited stimulant.
- The 28-year-old has one week to decide if he would accept the sanction or challenge it.
- Malik was handed a provisional suspension last month for failing a dope test during the World Olympic Qualifier event in Sofia, where he had qualified for the Tokyo Games in the 125kg category.
Cricket-UAE pair get eight-year bans for fixing attempts:
- United Arab Emirates (UAE) batsman Ashfaq Ahmed and pace bowler Amir Hayat have each been handed eight-year bans for breaching the anti-corruption code of the International Cricket Council (ICC), the sport’s governing body.
- An ICC anti-corruption tribunal backdated their bans to September last year when both players were suspended for attempting to fix matches and failing to report corrupt approaches during the T20 World Cup Qualifier 2019 in the UAE.
3. MP Jabir is related to which sports?
A) 100-metre hurdles athlete
B) 200-metre hurdles athlete
C) 800-metre hurdles athlete
D) 1500-metre hurdles athlete
E) 400-metre hurdles athlete
Answer: E) 400-metre hurdles athlete
- Indian Navy’s ace athlete MP Jabir qualified for the Tokyo Olympics in 400m hurdles after he clocked 49.78s to win gold at the recently concluded Inter-State Athletics Championships in Patiala.
- Jabir qualified through the World ranking quota where there are 14 spots available.
- The 25-year-old sailor hails from Malappuram, Kerala.
- He is currently ranked 34th in the World Athletics’ Road to Olympics rankings where 40 athletes qualify.
- When he competes in the Tokyo Olympics, Jabir would be the first Indian male athlete to participate in the 400m hurdles in Olympics.
- PT Usha, the legendary athlete from Kerala, competed in the 400-metre hurdles at the Los Angeles Olympics.
- That makes Jabir the second from the state of Kerala to compete in the same event in the Olympics.
Maana Patel becomes India’s first female swimmer to qualify for Tokyo Olympics, secures direct entry:
- India’s Maana Patel became the first female and only the third swimmer from the country to punch her Tokyo Olympics 2021 ticket.
- Patel, a backstroke simmer from Ahmedabad, joins Srihari Nataraj and Sajan Prakash to have qualified for the event and secured a direct entry.
- The development was confirmed by Sports Minister Kiren Rijiju.
- Patel, 21, is a decorated athlete having won gold medals in 50 backstroke and 200 metre backstroke also at the National Games.
- She also clinched gold in 100 metre backstroke at the 60th National School Games (2015) breaking the national record in backstroke.
- In 2015, Patel was selected for the Olympic Gold Quest, marking the first time a swimmer was roped in.
- Three years later in 2018, Patel secured three gold medals at 72nd Senior National Aquatic Championships.
- At the Senior Nationals in Thiruvananthapuram in 2018, Patel swept all three backstroke events.
4. Rio gold medallist Mariyappan Thangavelu named flag-bearer for Tokyo Paralympics. He was related to which state?
B) Andhra Pradesh
E) Tamil Nadu
Answer: E) Tamil Nadu
- India’s flag-bearer at the Tokyo Paralympics will be top para high-jumper Mariyappan Thangavelu.
- Paralympic Committee of India announced that Thangavelu has been named the flag-bearer of the Indian contingent.
- Thangavelu won the T-42 gold medal at the 2016 Rio Paralympics in high-jump for India.
- The Tokyo Paralympics begin on August 24 and end on September 5.
- The 25-year-old Thangavelu, who was conferred with the Khel Ratna, the country’s highest sporting award, last year is one of the 24 para-athletes picked by the selection committee for the Tokyo Paralympics.
- A total of 72 para-athletes, including 18 female players, took part in the selection trials held here on June 29 and 30.
- India has been granted 24 slots, including four women athletes, by the World Para Athletics.
- Thangavelu had won the Rio Paralympics T-42 high jump gold by clearing 1.89m.
- He qualified for the Tokyo Paralympics after finishing third in the T-42 high jump event at the 2019 IPC World Athletics Championships in Dubai.
- In T-42 category, the athletes have one or more impairment types affecting hip and/or knee function in one or both limbs and with activity limitations in throws, jumps and running competing without prosthesis.
5. World Cup-winning midfielder Toni Kroos announced retirement from international football. He was related to which country?
C) South Korea
Answer: D) Germany
- Germany’s World Cup-winning midfielder Toni Kroos announced retirement from international football.
- Kroos was part of the Germany national team that had defeated Argentina 1-0 to claim the 2014 FIFA World Cup trophy.
BANKING AND FINANCE
6. The Reserve Bank said a scheme providing interest subsidy for post and pre-shipment export credit has been extended by how many months?
Answer: C) 3
- The Reserve Bank said a scheme providing interest subsidy for post and pre-shipment export credit has been extended by three months till September, a move that will provide relief to exporters.
- Exporters get the subsidy under the ‘Interest Equalisation Scheme for pre and post-shipment Rupee Export Credit’.
- Earlier in April, the scheme was extended till June 30.
- In November 2018, the interest subsidy was increased to 5 per cent from 3 per cent to boost MSME sector exports.
- Later, the government included other merchant exporters too under the scheme and allowed them interest equalisation at the rate of 3 per cent on credit for the export of certain products.
7. The Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has launched its Saral Pension, an Individual Immediate Annuity Plan, with effect from July 1, 2021. The minimum annuity is ______ per annum?
A) Rs 12, 000
B) Rs 11, 000
C) Rs 13, 000
D) Rs 14, 000
E) Rs 15, 000
Answer: A) Rs 12, 000
- The Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has launched its Saral Pension, an Individual Immediate Annuity Plan, with effect from July 1, 2021.
- An annuity is a financial product that makes regular payment to its buyer as per the agreed terms and conditions.
- LIC Saral Pension is a non-linked, non-participating plan.
- The buyer needs to buy this annuity with a single premium after which the annuity begins.
- According to the press release by LIC, the Saral Pension schemes comes with two annuity options:
- Option 1: Life Annuity with return of 100% of purchase price;
- Option 2: Joint life last survivor annuity with return of 100% of purchase price on death of the last survivor
- Here are other features of the Saral Pension scheme:
1. The minimum annuity is Rs 12, 000 per annum, according to the press release.
2. The minimum purchase price will depend on the annuity mode, option chosen and age of the annuitant.
3. There is no ceiling on the maximum purchase price. The modes of annuity available are yearly, half- yearly, quarterly, and monthly.
- The plan is available for ages from 40 years to 80 years.
- Policyholder can take a loan against the scheme after six months of commencement of the policy.
ACQUISITIONS AND MERGERS
8. Edelweiss Financial Services to sell its how many per cent stake in insurance broking JV for Rs 307. 60 crore?
Answer: E) 70
- Edelweiss Financial Services said it will exit the insurance broking business by selling its 70 per cent stake in Edelweiss Gallagher Insurance Brokers Ltd for Rs 307.60 crore.
9. Veteran advocate K N Bhattacharjee appointed as Lokayukta of which state?
E) Tamil Nadu
Answer: B) Tripura
- Tripura government has appointed a veteran lawyer K N Bhattacharjee as the new Lokayukta of Tripura today to deal with the complaints of corruption against public servants and functionaries under Tripura Lokayukta Act, 2008.
- He will be the third Lokayukta of the state and the first lawyer to be appointed to the post.
- Justice Pradip Kumar Sarkar, a former judge of the Gujarat and Guwahati high courts was the first Lokayukta of Tripura was appointed in 2012 and he was succeeded by former Judge of Kolkata and Andhra Pradesh high courts Justice Subal Baidya in 2017.
10. Kempegowda International Airport has been inducted into the prestigious Airports Council International (ACI) Director General’s Roll of Excellence for the year 2020. This airport held in which state?
B) Andhra Pradesh
E) Tamil Nadu
Answer: D) Karnataka
- Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru has been inducted into the prestigious Airports Council International (ACI) Director General’s Roll of Excellence for the year 2020.
- Instituted in the year 2011, the Roll of Excellence recognises airports, which in the opinion of the passengers, have demonstrated strong commitment towards service quality.
- Since 2011, 58 airports have been inducted.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
11. Bharti-backed OneWeb announced the successful lift-off of how many satellites to mark the completion of its ‘Five to 50’ mission?
Answer: A) 36
- Bharti-backed OneWeb, the Low Earth Orbit (LEO) satellite communications company, announced the successful lift-off of another 36 satellites to mark the completion of its ‘Five to 50’ mission and will start full satellite broadband service in India by May 2022.
- With this major milestone, the company is on the way to deliver connectivity across the United Kingdom, Canada, Alaska, Northern Europe, Greenland, and the Arctic Region.
- The completion of the latest launch will take OneWeb’s in-orbit constellation to 254 satellites, or 40 per cent of OneWeb’s planned fleet of 648 LEO satellites that will deliver high-speed, low-latency global connectivity.
12. Which country has joined the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and G20 Inclusive Framework tax deal of global corporate tax?
Answer: A) India
- India has joined the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) and G20 Inclusive Framework tax deal of global corporate tax.
- According to a Finance Ministry press release, the members OECD and G20 countries adopted a high-level statement containing an outline of a consensus solution to address the tax challenges arising from the digitalisation of the economy.
- The proposed solution consists of two components- reallocation of additional share of profit to the market jurisdictions and minimum tax subject to tax rules.
- However, the technical details of the proposal will be worked out in the coming months and a consensus agreement is expected by October.
- Initially, the global corporate tax was proposed by the United States as Global Minimum Tax (GMT).
- The tax deal was adopted in the OECD and G20 Inclusive Framework on Base Erosion and Profit Shifting (BEPS).
- BEPS refers to tax-avoiding strategies used by big multinational companies that exploit the gaps and mismatches in tax rules across the globe.
- Around 130 countries, representing more than 90 percent of global GDP, adopted the global corporate tax rate of at least 15 percent.
- The countries also agreed on a fairer distribution of ‘profits and taxing rights’ with respect to multinationals including digital giants such as Amazon and Google.
- However, Hungary and Ireland were part of a small group of countries that did not agree on the tax rate on multinationals.
13. The first production lot of 12 Short Span Bridging System (SSBS)-10 m, designed and developed by which organisation has been inducted into the Indian Army?
Answer: E) DRDO
- The first production lot of 12 Short Span Bridging System (SSBS)-10 m, designed and developed by the Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO), has been inducted into the Indian Army by Chief of the Army Staff General MM Naravane during a ceremony held at Cariappa Parade Ground, Delhi Cantt. on July 02, 2021. Secretary Department of Defence R&D and Chairman DRDO Dr G Satheesh Reddy was present on the occasion.
- The SSBS-10 m plays a crucial role in bridging the gaps up to 9.5 m as a single span providing a 4 m wide, fully decked roadway, ensuring faster movement of the troops.
- Research & Development Establishment (Engrs) Pune, a premier engineering laboratory of DRDO, has designed and developed the system in association with M/s L&T Ltd.
- The 12 bridges are part of 102 SSBS-10 m from M/s L&T Ltd, which is the production agency.
- The Project Short Span Bridging System involved the development of two prototypes of 5 m SSBS on Tatra 6×6 chassis and another two prototypes of 10 m SSBS on Tatra 8×8 re-engineered chassis.
- Both the systems have undergone rigorous Directorate General of Quality Assurance (DGQA), MET and User trials and after successful completion of all the trials, the systems were recommended for induction into the services.
- This bridging system is compatible with Sarvatra Bridging System (75 m), where the last span requires covering gaps less than 9.5 m.
- The deployed bridge is of the load classification of MLC 70.
- The system will help in the quick movement of troops and enhance the mobilization of resources.
- The DRDO has vast experience in developing critical Combat Engineering Systems like Military Bridging Systems.
- A number of mechanised mobility solutions for the Indian Army like Single Span 5 m and 10 m, Short Span Bridging System, 46 m Modular Bridge, 20 m BLT-T72 and multi-span 75 m Sarvatra Bridging System etc. have been developed.
- Manually launched 34.5 m Mountain Foot Bridge was also developed by DRDO earlier.
- These bridges have been widely accepted by the Indian Army.
14. Which INS has undertaken a sea drill with Greek Navy frigate HS Themistoklis in the Mediterranean sea?
A) INS Tabar
B) INS KIra
C) INS Cuba
D) INS Gurav
E) INS Vijaya
Answer: A) INS Tabar
- Indian Navy Ship Tabar has undertaken a sea drill with Greek Navy frigate HS Themistoklis in the Mediterranean sea Exercise includes air defence and underway replenishment drills.
- Aiming to strengthen strong relations between India and Egypt, INS Tabar had arrived at Alexandria on June 29, for two days as part of a goodwill visit.
- Both the countries share warm bilateral relations, and ships of the Indian Navy have frequently visited Alexandria port.
- Commanding Officer INS Tabar, Captain M Mahesh and the crew of his ship laid wreaths at Alexandria Naval Unknown Soldier Memorial.
- The Commanding Officer also called upon Rear Admiral Ayman al-Daly, Commander of Alexandria Naval Base.
15. Which edition of the Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS) hosted by the French Navy at La Reunion in Italy?
Answer: B) 7
- The seventh edition of the Indian Ocean Naval Symposium (IONS), which was hosted by the French Navy at La Reunion in Italy, concluded.
- Admiral Karambir Singh, Chief of the Naval Staff, Indian Navy, participated virtually in the inaugural session of the three-day event.
- IONS, conceived by the Indian Navy in 2008, seeks to enhance maritime cooperation among Navies of the littoral states of the IOR by providing an open and inclusive forum for discussion of regionally relevant maritime issues that would lead to a common understanding on the way ahead.
- France assumed the Chairmanship on June 29 for a two-year tenure.
- The Indian Ocean Naval Symposium consists of 23 permanent members and 9 observer members
- During the Symposium, Subject Matter Expert (SME) presentations were made by the French Institute of International Relations – Observatoire du Climat, European Union, Indian Ocean Commission, IFC Singapore, RMIFC Madagascar and EU-led Critical Maritime Routes Indian Ocean (CRIMARIO).
- The Symposium also held panel discussions themed on the three IONS Working Groups viz., HADR, Maritime Security and Information Sharing & Interoperability.
- The Naval Maritime Foundation (NMF) also participated in the Panel Discussion on HADR.
IONS Conclave of Chiefs (CoC) is the decision-making body at the level of Chiefs of Navies, which meets biennially.
- 6th IONS and CoC was conducted by Iran Navy in April 2018 at Tehran.
Owing to the Covid19 pandemic, the CoC 2021, will be hosted by the French Navy later this year.
16. Which Railway station gets railways’ first movable freshwater tunnel aquarium?
A) Mumbai Railway station
B) Kolkata Railway station
C) Chennai Railway station
D) Hyderabad Railway station
E) Bengaluru Railway station
Answer: E) Bengaluru Railway station
- With an aim to provide a memorable experience to passengers and make their waiting time at the station pleasurable, the Indian Railway Stations Development Corporation Limited (IRSDC) has opened the railways’ first movable freshwater tunnel aquarium at the KSR Bengaluru station.
- The IRSDC said this one-of-its-kind aquatic park was developed in collaboration with the HNi Aquatic Kingdom.
- It is based on the Amazon river concept and promises to be a visual treat.
- This 12-foot-long Aquatic Kingdom will also be educational as the visitors will experience a lifesize kingdom of fish .
17. AJNIFM and which company sign MoU to build an AI and emerging technologies CoE?
D) Intel India
Answer: C) Microsoft
- The Arun Jaitley National Institute of Financial Management (AJNIFM) and Microsoft signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) for a strategic partnership to build an AI and emerging technologies Centre of Excellence at AJNIFM.
- The collaboration seeks to explore the role of cloud, AI and emerging technologies in transforming and shaping the future of public finance management in India.
- The Centre of Excellence will serve as a central body for research, AI scenario envisioning and tech-led innovation.
- AJNIFM and Microsoft will jointly explore use cases of emerging technologies in finance and related areas, across central and state ministries and public sector enterprises.
- Microsoft will partner closely with AJNIFM to define the future of public finance management in India, providing the technology, tools and resources to build a strong ecosystem of partners, upskill government officials and build thought leadership.
18. The government has extended the superannuation age of IPO-bound LIC Chairman to up to 62 years by making amendment to the Life Insurance Corporation of India (Staff) Regulations of which year?
Answer: E) 1960
- The government has extended the superannuation age of IPO-bound LIC Chairman to up to 62 years by making amendment to the Life Insurance Corporation of India (Staff) Regulations, 1960.
- The changes made in the rules will be called the Life Insurance Corporation of India (Staff) Amendment Rules, 2021, according to a government notification dated June 30, 2021.
- It is to be noted that the retirement age for the top executives of the majority of PSUs is 60 years, barring a few exceptions, including the State Bank of India.
19. India’s first Agriculture Export Facilitation Centre launched in which city?
Answer: D) Pune
- India’s first Agriculture Export Facilitation Centre (AFEC) established by the Mahratta Chamber of Commerce Industries and Agriculture (MCCIA) in association with the National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) was formally inaugurated.
- It was initially launched virtually on May 15, 2021.
- The physical facility is now open to potential exporters of agri-food products from Maharashtra and will serve as a one-stop destination to provide them with all possible assistance.
- The centre was inaugurated at the hands of GS Rawat, Chief General Manager, NABARD, Pune Regional Office.
- The centre aims at boosting the agricultural and food exports of Maharashtra by disseminating need-based information, providing timely guidance and organising training courses for all stakeholders.
- It will cater to the needs of farmers, Farmer Producing Organisations (FPOs), MSMEs in agri-food processing, existing exporters, and new entrants by hand-holding them through the various stages involved in exporting products.
- It will support capacity building by providing expert guidance on a range of topics like Orchard Management, Minimum Residue Level (MRL), Branding and Marketing, Packhouse and Special Export Treatments, Country-wise Protocols and Quality Parameters, Special Certifications required by specific countries, Government Export Schemes etc.
- Umesh Chandra Sarangi (Retd. IAS), Chairperson, Agriculture Committee, MCCIA and Prashant Girbane, Director General, MCCIA also graced the occasion.
20. Which Minister launched six Technology Innovation Platforms that will focus on development of technologies for the globally competitive manufacturing in India?
A) Health Minister
B) Women Minister
C) AYUSH Minister
D) Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Minister
E) Education Minister
Answer: D) Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Minister
- The Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises launched six Technology Innovation Platforms that will focus on development of technologies for the globally competitive manufacturing in India.
- These platforms have been developed by IIT-Madras, Central Manufacturing Technology Institute (CMTI), International Centre for Automotive Technology (iCAT), Automotive Research Association of India (ARAI), BHEL and HMT in association with IISc, Bangalore.
- These platforms will facilitate industry (including original equipment manufacturers, Tier-1 Tier-2 and Tier-3 companies and raw material manufacturers), start-ups, domain experts/ professionals, R&D institutions and academia (colleges & universities), to provide technology solutions, suggestions and expert opinions, on issues involving manufacturing technologies
- Further, it will facilitate exchange of knowledge with respect to research and development and other technological aspects.
- Over 39,000 students, experts, institutes, industries and labs have already registered on these platforms
21. Who addresses 4th Fit India Conclave 2021 on National Doctors Day?
A) Dr Harsh Vardhan
B) Rajnath Singh
C) Shri Prahlad Singh Patel
D) Kiren Rijiju
E) Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’
Answer: A) Dr Harsh Vardhan
- On the occasion of National Doctors Day, Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare addressed 4th Fit India Conclave through video-conference.
- The event was organised by Medscape India.
- Union Minister of State for AYUSH, Shri Shripad Naik and Health Minister of Maharashtra, Shri Rajesh Tope Ji were present at the event.
Dr. Harsh Vardhan addresses 17th World Congress for Cervical Pathology and Colposcopy:
- Dr Harsh Vardhan, Union Minister for Health and Family Welfare addressed an audienceof eminent doctors, professors of medical science and stalwarts of medical fraternity specializing in Cervical Pathology and Colposcopy through video-conference at the inaugural session of the 17th World Congress for Cervical Pathology and Colposcopy.
- The event organised by Indian Society of Colposcopy and Cervical Pathology was inaugurated by Hon’ble Vice President Shri Venkaiah Naidu
22. Which Minister has decided to grant recognition to WAKO India Kickboxing Federation as National Sports Federation (NSF) for promotion and development of the Kickboxing sport in India?
A) Health Minister
B) Women Minister
C) AYUSH Minister
D) Heavy Industries and Public Enterprises Minister
E) Youth affairs & Sports Minister
Answer: E) Youth affairs & Sports Minister
- The Ministry of Youth affairs & Sports has decided to grant recognition to WAKO India Kickboxing Federation as National Sports Federation (NSF) for promotion and development of the Kickboxing sport in India.
- WAKO India Kickboxing Federation is affiliated to World Association of Kickboxing Organizations (WAKO), which is the International Federation for the sport of Kickboxing.
- International Olympic Committee (IOC) Executive Board at its meeting on 10th June 2021 has approved the recommendation for WAKO to become fully recognized member of the Olympic family of sport.
- WAKO have been provisionally recognized member of the IOC Since 30 November 2018.
- The full recognition of WAKO will be finally decided by the IOC Session in Tokyo in July 2021.
- To be fully included and accepted in the Olympic movement is important for the recognition and development of the sport of kickboxing.