Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
July 21 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. The Australian city of Brisbane will host summer Olympics of which year?
Answer: E) 2032
- The Australian city of Brisbane will host the 2032 summer Olympics after the International Olympic Committee (IOC) overwhelmingly approved the recommendation of its executive board.
- Brisbane, where hundreds of people gathered at the river-side South Bank erupted in cheering as the defining moments of the IOC session were broadcast on a big screen, becomes the third Australian city to get the Games after Melbourne in 1956 and Sydney in 2000.
- Queensland’s state capital had been the preferred host, chosen in February, and had earned the nod of the executive board last month, essentially securing the Games.
- The IOC tried to create some buzz around election, the first not to openly pit cities and countries against each other.
- Brisbane follows 2028 host Los Angeles in getting 11 years to prepare for hosting the Games. Paris will host in 2024.
- Brisbane’s renowned cricket stadium, known as the Gabba, will be upgraded and may host the sport at the Games.
- Cricket was played once at the Olympics, at the 1900 Paris Games.
- The next three Summer Games hosts — starting with Paris in 2024 — are now secured in wealthy and traditional Olympic nations without any of the trio facing a contested vote.
- The IOC and its hands-on president, Thomas Bach, have torn up the template of traditional bidding campaigns and hosting votes to lock down preferred cities with the minimum risk.
2. Which organisation in partnership with the International Olympic Committee has created a series of stamps to commemorate the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020?
Answer: E) UNPA
- The United Nations and International Olympic Committee (IOC) launched a series of stamps to honour the role of sport for peace.
- The United Nations Postal Administration (UNPA), in partnership with the International Olympic Committee (IOC), has created a series of stamps to commemorate the Olympic Games Tokyo 2020 and the shared values of the two organisations and to highlight sport’s contribution to peace around the world.
- The six stamp sheets feature the Olympic sports of sailing, baseball, judo, diving, equestrian, and golf.
- The designs of both the stamps and the souvenir sheets were illustrated by Japanese artist Satoshi Hashimoto
3. Jamie Kermond is related to which sports?
C) Table Tennis
Answer: D) Equestrian
- Equestrian Australia said it had provisionally suspended a member of the Olympic show jumping team over a positive test for cocaine.
- The governing body said Jamie Kermond returned a positive A-sample for a metabolite of cocaine following a test conducted by Sport Integrity Australia on June 26.
4. Sandesh Jhingan is related to which sports?
C) Table Tennis
Answer: B) Football
- Senior India defender Sandesh Jhingan was named the AIFF men’s Footballer of the Year, while midfielder Suresh Singh Wangjam was picked as the Emerging Player for 2020-21 season.
- It is the first time that the towering central defender has received the AIFF Player of the Year award, having won the Emerging Player of the Year Award in 2014.
- The award winners were chosen on the basis of votes from the Indian Super League and I-League club coaches
- Jhingan made his senior national team debut in 2015 in Guwahati and has since gone on to make 40 appearances for the Blue Tigers, scoring four goals.
- He was part of the Indian sides that lifted the Intercontinental Cup in 2018 and played out a memorable draw at the home of the Asian champions Qatar in 2019.
- Jhingan has captained the senior team on five occasions, the most recent being the international friendly against Oman in Dubai in March.
- He was conferred with the prestigious Arjuna Award last year.
- The 20-year-old Suresh, who made his Blue Tigers debut earlier this year against Oman, was part of the Indian side that competed at the FIFA U-17 World Cup in 2017.
BANKING AND FINANCE
5. RBI imposes how much amount penalty on Melur Co-operative Urban Bank, Madurai?
A) Rs 2 lakh
B) Rs 3 lakh
C) Rs 4 lakh
D) Rs 5 lakh
E) Rs 1 lakh
Answer: E) Rs 1 lakh
- The RBI imposed a penalty of Rs 1 lakh on Melur Co-operative Urban Bank, Melur, Madurai for contravention of certain provisions concerning board of directors.
- Statutory returns submitted by the bank for the period ended March 2020, revealed, inter alia, ”contravention of / non-compliance” with the directions on Board of Directors – UCBs.
6. U GRO Capital launches Pratham, a MSME co-lending program with which Bank?
A) Federal Bank
B) DBS Bank India
C) Bank of Baroda
D) RBL Bank
E) HDFC Bank
Answer: C) Bank of Baroda
- U GRO Capital, a BSE listed, technology enabled small business NBFC, announced the launch of a co-lending partnership for micro, small and medium enterprises (MSME) with Bank of Baroda.
- Termed as ‘Pratham’, the loan disbursements have commenced on the occasion of Bank of Baroda’s 114th Foundation Day.
- The program has been launched under Reserve Bank of India’s revised co-lending guidelines.
- Pratham, a Rs 1000 crore co-lending program will allow the MSMEs to avail customized lending solutions at a competitive rate of interest with a significant reduction in turn-around time.
- The loan amount ranges from Rs 50 lakh to Rs 2.5 crore to be offered at an interest rate starting from 8% with a maximum tenure of 120 months.
7. Which organisation launched quarterly Industrial Outlook Survey (IOS) to assess the performance of the manufacturing sector?
Answer: E) RBI
- The Reserve Bank of India launched its quarterly Industrial Outlook Survey (IOS) to assess the performance of the manufacturing sector.
- The central bank also announced the launch of the next round of the quarterly Services and Infrastructure Outlook Survey (SIOS) for the current quarter.
- The 95th round of IOS of the Indian manufacturing sector will assess business sentiment for the current quarter and expectations for the ensuing quarter (Q3:2021-22) based on qualitative responses on a set of indicators pertaining to demand conditions, financial conditions, employment conditions and price situation
- The SIOS survey will assess the business situation for the current quarter from selected companies in the services and infrastructure sectors in India and their expectations for the ensuing quarter.
- It is based on responses on a set of indicators pertaining to demand conditions, financial conditions, employment conditions and the price situation.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
8. Bharti Airtel announced a collaboration with which company for 5G network development by leveraging virtual and open radio access network technologies and making indigenous solutions?
Answer: A) Intel
- Telecom operator Bharti Airtel announced a collaboration with Intel for 5G network development by leveraging virtual and open radio access network technologies and making indigenous solutions.
- Bharti Airtel and other telecom operators are at present conducting 5G trials in select cities across India.
- As part of the collaboration, Airtel will deploy Intel’s latest 3rd gen Xeon Scalable processors and other components across its network to build a foundation for rolling out wide-scale 5G, mobile edge computing and network slicing.
- Intel has also partnered with Airtel’s competitor Reliance Jio to work on 5G technology.
ACQUISITIONS AND MERGERS
9. How many public sector banks have come on board to lead the first round of capital infusion into National Asset Reconstruction Co. Ltd (NARCL)?
Answer: A) 8
- Eight public sector banks have come on board to lead the first round of capital infusion into National Asset Reconstruction Co. Ltd (NARCL) or the so-called ‘bad bank’
- According to the latest corporate filings, Canara Bank has purchased 12 million shares of ₹10 each, Bank of Baroda (BoB), State Bank of India (SBI), Union Bank of India and Indian Bank have bought 9.9 million shares each; Punjab National Bank (PNB) and Bank of India have bought 9 million shares each. Bank of Maharashtra has purchased 5 million shares.
- Their combined investment is at ₹74.6 crore last week that NARCL has been registered in Mumbai with a paid-up capital of ₹74.6 crore and will soon seek a licence from the central bank to operate as an ARC.
10. Edtech startup Byju’s has acquired US-based digital reading platform Epic for how much amount?
A) $800 million.
B) $600 million.
C) $400 million.
D) $300 million.
E) $500 million.
Answer: E) $500 million.
- Edtech startup Byju’s said it has acquired US-based digital reading platform Epic for $500 million.
- The acquisition will help Byju’s expand its US footprint by providing access to the more than two million teachers and 50 million kids in Epic’s existing global user base, which has more than doubled over the last year.
- Suren Markosian, Epic CEO and co-founder Kevin Donahue, will remain in their roles.
11. The Ministry of Civil Aviation has formed how many advisory groups under the leadership of Union Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia?
Answer: E) 3
- The Ministry of Civil Aviation has formed three advisory groups under the leadership of Union Minister Jyotiraditya Scindia.
- The advisory comprises Airlines, Airport Operators and MRO (Maintenance, Repair and Operations) Cargo Carriers, FTOs and Ground Handling companies, as per the order
- The groups shall meet regularly to deliberate upon issues and resolve challenges facing each sector.
- Orders have been issued for the same. As per the order, the terms of reference for the Advisory Group are to evolve a strategy to ensure the growth of MRI, Ground handling, cargo and FTO sectors, and to create a congenial ecosystem in the country by suggesting regulatory, policy improvement and measures for better efficiency and growth of the sector.
- The advisory group will also suggest measures to increase the participation of Indian carriers in air cargo transportation and promote employment growth and measure infrastructure improvement and capacity building for the air cargo sector
12. Binaya Srikanta Pradhan appointed as new High Commissioner of India to which country?
Answer: E) Tanzania
- Binaya Srikanta Pradhan, presently Deputy Chief of Mission in Embassy of India, Moscow has been appointed as the next High Commissioner of India to Tanzania.
- Pradhan joined Indian Foreign Service in 2002. As a diplomat, he served in senior positions in Indian Embassies in Moscow, Turkmenistan and Pakistan during 2004-12.
- Later, during 2012-14, he looked after India’s relationship with Afghanistan and Iran from New Delhi at the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Pradhan joined as Deputy Chief of Mission in Embassy of India, Moscow on June 3, 2019.
13. Ariel Henry appointed new Prime Minister of which country?
Answer: B) Haiti
- Amid political turmoil caused by the assassination of President Jovenel Moise, Ariel Henry was appointed as the new Prime Minister of Haiti.
- Ariel Henry, a neurosurgeon and former cabinet minister was tapped as Prime Minister by the President just days before he was gunned down at his home on July 7.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
14. Jeff Bezos blasted off Blue Origin’s New Shepard flight from its Launch Site One in a remote location in the West Texas desert in which country?
E) South Africa
Answer: B) USA
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos blasted off Blue Origin’s New Shepard flight from its Launch Site One in a remote location in the West Texas desert in the United States.
- The founder of Blue Origin was accompanied by brother Mark Bezos, Wally Funk, and 18-year-old passenger Oliver Daemen.
- The mission marked another milestone in the space race started by private companies.
- It was the first time in the history of a commercial company launching a privately funded and built spacecraft from a private launch range with astronauts on board.
- The astronauts boarded the crew capsule 30 minutes before the launch and the hatch closed six minutes later.
- They experienced three to four minutes of zero-g and travelled above the Kármán Line, the internationally-recognised boundary of space.
- Blue Origin’s recovery team joined the four-member crew to celebrate their return from space.
- The successful launch and subsequent touchdown made Wally Funk, 82, the oldest person and Daeman the youngest to have flown in space.
- New Shepard, a fully autonomous spacecraft, didn’t have any Blue Origin staff astronauts during its maiden human spaceflight.
15. Which country unveils new Sukhoi stealth fighter jet to compete with F-35s?
E) South Africa
Answer: B) Russia
- Russia unveiled its new Sukhoi stealth fighter jet designed to compete with the US F-35 and capable of striking six targets simultaneously.
- Dubbed “The Checkmate”, the plane was first shown to a reportedly “pleased” President Vladimir Putin before the launch at a biennial airshow outside Moscow.
16. Which airport limited has signed a ten-year partnership with IBM to create an ”Airport in a Box” platform, which transforms technology, operations, and customer experience?
A) Kolkata International Airport Limited
B) Bangalore International Airport Limited
C) Varanasi International Airport Limited
D) Mumbai International Airport Limited
E) Kochi International Airport Limited
Answer: B) Bangalore International Airport Limited
- Bangalore International Airport Limited (BIAL) — operator of Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru (KIAB/BLR Airport) — has signed a ten-year partnership with IBM to create an ”Airport in a Box” platform, which transforms technology, operations, and customer experience.
- IBM Hybrid Cloud capabilities, Red Hat Automation, and Kyndryl managed infrastructure services will help BIAL improve productivity, automate IT and reduce costs.
- To achieve this goal, BIAL has selected IBM Global Business Services, IBM hybrid cloud capabilities, and Kyndryl, the new, independent company that will be created following the separation of IBM’s Managed Infrastructure Services business, to design and implement a next-generation architecture with the robust and dynamic delivery model.
17. Rajnath unveils statue of Lalji Tandon on his first death anniversary. What is the length of this statue?
Answer: D) 12-foot
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh unveiled a statue of Lalji Tandon on his first death anniversary and sang the praises of his contributions in strengthening the BJP in Uttar Pradesh and his encyclopedic knowledge of Lucknow.
- Tandon, a BJP veteran, had served as Governor of Bihar and Madhya Pradesh inaugurating the 12-foot-tall statue of Tandon in Hazratganj.
18. ESR India has signed an agreement with which state government to develop two industrial parks with an estimated investment of Rs 550 crore?
D) Tamil Nadu
Answer: D) Tamil Nadu
- Industrial and logistics real estate platform ESR India said it has signed an agreement with the Tamil Nadu government to develop two industrial parks with an estimated investment of Rs 550 crore.
- ESR India and the Tamil Nadu government have signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) to this effect at the Investment Conclave 2021 conference
- The MoU is signed for the launch of two industrial parks in Kancheepuram and Krishnagiri districts of the state over the next five years.
19. Which organisation successfully flight tested indigenously developed low weight, fire & forget Man-Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM)?
Answer: E) DRDO
- Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight tested indigenously developed low weight, fire & forget Man-Portable Anti-Tank Guided Missile (MPATGM).
- DRDO said it will be a major boost to Modi government’s flagship “Atmanirbhar Bharat” scheme and strengthening Indian Army.
- The missile was launched from a man-portable launcher integrated with thermal site and the target was mimicking a tank.
- The missile hit the target in direct attack mode and destroyed it with precision.
- The test has validated the minimum range successfully.
DRDO successfully flight-tests surface-to-air missile Akash-NG:
- Defence Research & Development Organisation (DRDO) successfully flight-tested the New Generation Akash Missile (Akash-NG), a surface-to-air Missile from Integrated Test Range (ITR) off the coast of Odisha on July 21, 2021.
- The flight trial was conducted at around 12:45 PM from a land-based platform with all weapon system elements such as Multifunction Radar, Command, Control & Communication System and launcher participating in deployment configuration.
- The missile system has been developed by Defence Research & Development Laboratory (DRDL), Hyderabad in collaboration with other DRDO laboratories.
- The launch was witnessed by the representatives of Indian Air Force.
- In order to capture flight data, ITR deployed a number of Range stations like, Electro Optical Tracking System, Radar and Telemetry.
- The flawless performance of the entire weapon system has been confirmed by complete flight data captured by these systems.
- During the test, the missile demonstrated high manoeuvrability required for neutralising fast and agile aerial threats.
- Once deployed, the Akash-NG weapon system will prove to be a force multiplier for the air defence capability of the Indian Air Force.
- Production agencies Bharat Electronics Limited (BEL) and Bharat Dynamics Limited (BDL) also participated in the trials.
20. Which state inaugurated a 1.3 gigawatt (GW) solar module manufacturing facility of clean energy firm Vikram Solar?
D) Tamil Nadu
Answer: D) Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M K Stalin inaugurated a 1.3 gigawatt (GW) solar module manufacturing facility of clean energy firm Vikram Solar in Chennai.
- With the commissioning of the new unit, the company’s cumulative PV module manufacturing capacity has reached 2.5 GW per annum, which is currently the largest in India.