Daily Current Affairs January 23
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs January 23. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
January 23| Daily Current Affairs 2023
Important Days – Daily Current Affairs January 23
1. ParakramDiwas is observed on which date?
A) January 22
B) January 23
C) January 24
D) January 25
E) January 26
Answer: B) January 23
- January 23 is commemorated India’s beloved leader Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose’s 126th birth anniversary.
Sports – Daily Current Affairs January 23
2.Who picked in ICC ‘Men’s T20I team of 2022’?
B) Hardik Pandya
C) Suryakumar Yadav
D) 1 & 2
E) 1, 2 & 3
Answer: E) 1, 2 & 3
- Former India captain ViratKohli, all-rounder Hardik Pandya and shortest format’s number one batter Suryakumar Yadav were picked in ICC ‘Men’s T20I team of 2022‘.
- The ICC also announced the Women’s Team of 2022 with four Indians in the lineup — SmritiMandhana, Deepti Sharma, Richa Ghosh and Renuka Singh.
- Men’s Team: Jos Buttler (c/wk), Mohammed Rizwan, ViratKohli, Suryakumar Yadav, Glenn Phillips, Sikandar Raza, Hardik Pandya, Sam Curran, WaninduHasaranga, Haris Rauf and Josh Little.
- Women’s Team: Sophie Devine (c), SmritiMandhana, Beth Mooney, Ash Gardner, Tahlia McGrath, Nida Dar, Deepti Sharma, Richa Ghosh (wk), Sophie Ecclestone, InokaRanaweera and Renuka Singh.
Obituary – Daily Current Affairs January 23
3. Sabir Ali passed away. He was related to which field?
- ‘Ironman of India’ Sabir Ali, who won the decathlon gold at the 1981 Asian Athletics Championships in Tokyo, passed away in New Delhi following a cardiac arrest, family sources said.
- Ali, who retired from Railways, won the title in the Japanese capital with a tally of 7,253 points beating Japan’s Nobuya Saito (7,078) and China’s ZuQilin (7,074). He also won two silver medals at the South Asian Federation Games held in Kathmandu and Dhaka.
- Ali won eight consecutive Open National titles in the gruelling event between 1979 and 1985 eight consecutive Open National titles in the gruelling event between 1979 and 1985.
- The Railways star was unbeatable at the Inter-State meets too – he represented Haryana — which he won twice in 1979 and 1981. His pet event was the javelin throw.
- Ali won a bronze and silver at the World Railway meets in 1981 and ’85 and was honoured with the Arjuna Award in 1981.
Banking and Finance – Daily Current Affairs January 23
4. RBI has decided to extend to _________ its deadline for renewal of agreements for existing safe deposit locker or safe custody article facilities provided by banks?
A) 31 December 2024
B) 31 December 2025
C) 31 August 2023
D) 31 December 2023
E) 31 October 2023
Answer: D) 31 December 2023
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) extended the deadline for banks to finish the process of renewing agreements with safe deposit locker customers in a phased manner to address the concerns of customers.
- The deadline was pushed by a year to 31 December from 1 January 2023.
- The central bank directed lenders to unfreeze the lockers that were frozen for non-execution of agreement by 1 January. Further, RBI sought revision in the model agreement drafted by the Indian Banks’ Association to comply with its revised guidelines.
- In August 2021, RBI revised the regulations on maintaining bank lockers, making them applicable to new customers from January 2022 and existing customers from January 2023. The central bank asked banks to put in place a board-approved agreement format for safe deposit locker customers, and allowed them to adopt an agreement framed by the Indian Banks’ Association.
- It directed banks to notify all customers of the requirements by 30 April and ensure 50% and 75% of existing customers execute the revised agreement by 30 June and 30 September, respectively. Banks will need to report compliance status on its Daksh supervisory portal, RBI said.
- RBI also said the association should review and revise the model agreement and ensure it complies with RBI’s August 2021 requirements and circulate the revised format to all banks by 28 February.
5. The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) barred which bank from undertaking outward remittance transactions till further orders?
B) SBM Bank India
C)IDFC First Bank
Answer: B) SBM Bank India
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) barred SBM Bank (India) Ltd from undertaking outward remittance transactions till further orders.
- SBM Bank India is a subsidiary of the State Bank of Mauritius and became the first foreign bank to receive a universal banking licence under an Indian scheme for wholly owned subsidiaries, which allowed foreign lenders to compete with Indian banks.
- The Reserve Bank of India has today, in exercise of its powers under sections 35A and 36(1)(a) of the Banking Regulation Act, 1949, directed SBM Bank (India) Ltd to stop, with immediate effect, all transactions under Liberalised Remittance Scheme (LRS) till further orders.
- LRS is a set of guidelines by the RBI that enable Indian residents to remit capital overseas.
- A fintech friendly bank, SBM has ties with dozen of startups for undertaking various financial transactions.
- Firms like Zolve, Vested, IND money, Instarem, HOPRemit-Money, BookMyForex, Airpay have tie-ups with the bank for a number of features, including forex transactions and purchasing foreign stocks, ETFs.
- Last year SBM stopped all tie-ups with fintech partners for prepaid credit card business, which impacted startups like Slice, Uni and LazyPay.
- This came after RBI mandated that disbursals and repayments must happen directly between the bank accounts of customers and the lender bank or non-banking financial company (NBFC), without the presence of a third party account or fintech in the middle.
- These rules quashed the model of lending through prepaid payment instruments (PPIs) including wallets and prepaid cards.
6. Asian Development Bank To Provide how much Loan To Support Jawaharlal Nehru Port Container Terminal Upgrade?
A) $121 Million
B) $131 Million
C) $141 Million
D) $151 Million
E) $171 Million
Answer: B) $131 Million
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and NhavaSheva Freeport Terminal Private Limited (NSFTPL) have signed a USD 131 million (about Rs 1,066 crore) loan agreement to upgrade the Jawaharlal Nehru Port Container Terminal, Navi Mumbai, to enhance international trade in India through efficient, transparent, and state-of-the-art logistics infrastructure.
- NSFTPL is a special purpose vehicle jointly owned by J M Baxi Ports and Logistics Limited (JMBPL) and CMA Terminals.
- The financing package comprises USD 61.4 million from ADB’s ordinary capital resources and USD 69.6 million from Leading Asia’s Private Infrastructure Fund (LEAP) administered by ADB, the Manila-based multilateral lending agency said in a statement.
7. Which bank enables direct & indirect tax payment for its customers?
A)Indian Overseas Bank
Answer: D)CityUniion Bank
- City Union Bank Limited announced the completion of its technical integration with the brand new e-filing portal TIN 2.0 (www. eportal.incometax.gov.in) making it one of the few private banks to be fully integrated with the new Income Tax department portal.
- City Union Bank customers, individuals as well as corporates, can pay their direct taxes by selecting CUB and their existing account maintained with CUB. The above facilities fulfill the long standing requirement of customers who can now make their tax payments.
Business and Economy – Daily Current Affairs January 23
8. Which company signs new multi-year 5G patent deal with Samsung?
- The Finnish telecom equipment maker also said that it has signed a new multi-year agreement to license its 5G patents to Samsung.
- It has signed a new cross-license patent agreement with Samsung following the expiry of a previous agreement at the end of 2022.
Appointments – Daily Current Affairs January 23
9. Who will lead the Indian Navy’s Republic Day contingent of 144 young sailors?
B) Deepa Amrith
Answer: A) DishaAmrith
- Lt Commander DishaAmrith, a woman naval air operations official posted at a strategic base, will lead the Indian Navy’s Republic Day contingent of 144 young sailors and its tableau will showcase the ‘Nari Shakti’ in force.
- Navy officials said three women and five men Agniveers will also participate in the parade at Kartavya Path. Besides Amrith, another woman officer — Sub Lt ValliMeena S –– will be among the three platoon commanders of the naval contingent.
- The theme of the naval tableau would be ‘Indian Navy — Combat Ready, Credible, Cohesive and Future Proof,’ said Vice Admiral Suraj Berry, the Controller Personnel Services (CPS).
Awards – Daily Current Affairs January 23
10. Which State Disaster Management Authority and Lunglei fire station, Mizoram, have been selected in the institutional category for Subhas Chandra Bose AapdaPrabandhan Puraskar-2023 for their excellent work in disaster management?
- The Odisha State Disaster Management Authority (OSDMA) and Lunglei fire station, Mizoram, have been selected in the institutional category for Subhas Chandra Bose AapdaPrabandhan Puraskar-2023 for their excellent work in disaster management.
- The award is given by the National Disaster Management Authority on Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose’s birth anniversary to recognize and honour invaluable contribution and selfless service rendered by individuals and organizations in the field of disaster management.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs 51 lakh and a certificate in case of an institution, and Rs 5 lakh and a certificate in case of an individual.
Eleven children conferred with PM’s national award:
- The President of India, Smt. DroupadiMurmu will confer the Pradhan MantriRashtriya Bal Puraskar, 2023 to 11 exceptional children in an award ceremony which will take place at VigyanBhawan.
- The Government of India confers the Pradhan MantriRashtriyaBalPuraskar (PMRBP) award to children for their exceptional achievements. The awards are conferred upon children in the age group 5 – 18 years, for their excellence in six categories, viz. Art & Culture, Bravery, Innovation, Scholastic, Social Service and Sports, which deserve national recognition. Each awardee of PMRBP is given a medal, a cash prize of Rs.1 Lakh and a Certificate.
- This year, the Pradhan MantriRashtriyaBalPuraskar will be conferred upon 11 children selected from all regions of the country for their exceptional achievement in the field of Art and Culture (4), Bravery (1), Innovation (2), Social Service (1), and Sports (3).
11. Which company bestowed with Gold Shield in ‘ICAI Awards for Excellence in Financial Reporting 2021-22’?
A)Hindustan Aeronautical Limited
- Power Finance Corporation Limited (PFC), a Maharatna CPSE and country’s leading NBFC in power sector, has been conferred with the prestigious Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) Gold Shield being a winner in the category ‘Public Sector Entities’ of ICAI Awards for Excellence in Financial Reporting for 2021-22.
- PFC had earlier won the Silver Shield in the ICAI Awards for “Excellence in Financial Reporting for the FY 2020-21” and was also conferred with SAFA Gold Award recently for “Best Presented Accounts” for the same year.
International Affairs – Daily Current Affairs January 23
12. Which country to skip SCO film fest in Mumbai?
- There is no participation from Pakistan in Shanghai Cooperation Organization (SCO) film festival being organised under India’s presidency in Mumbai, Information and Broadcasting Ministry stated.
- The film festival is slated to commence from January 27 and will be organised until January 30 by the I&B Ministry. The event is being conducted by the National Film Development Corporation, a public sector undertaking of the ministry.
- The opening ceremony will be held at JamshedBhabha Theatre in Nariman Point’s NCPA.
- A total of 57 films will be showcased at the SCO Film Festival from SCO countries. In the Competition Section, 14 feature films are competing and will be screened and the Non-Competition section will showcase 43 films. A total of 14 films were nominated for the competition section.
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs January 23
13. How many large unnamed islands of Andaman and Nicobar were named after ParamVir Chakra awardees in a ceremony attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the occasion of ParakramDiwas?
- Twenty-one large unnamed islands of Andaman and Nicobar were named after ParamVir Chakra awardees in a ceremony attended by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on the occasion of ParakramDiwas.
- He also unveiled the model of the National Memorial dedicated to Netaji to be built on Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose Dweep, earlier known as Ross Islands
- The largest unnamed island was named after the first ParamVir Chakra awardee, Major Somnath Sharma, who was martyred in action on November 3, 1947 while repulsing Pakistani infiltrators near Srinagar Airport.
- The 21 ParamVir Chakra awardees, after whom the islands have been named are: Major Somnath Sharma; Subedar and Hony Captain (then Lance Naik) Karam Singh, MM; 2nd Lt. Rama RaghobaRane; NayakJadunath Singh; Company Havildar Major Piru Singh; Capt GS Salaria; Lieutenant Colonel (then Major) Dhan Singh Thapa; SubedarJoginder Singh; Major Shaitan Singh; CQMH. Abdul Hamid; Lt Col ArdeshirBurzorjiTarapore; Lance Naik Albert Ekka; Major Hoshiar Singh; 2nd Lt. ArunKhetrapal; Flying Officer Nirmaljit Singh Sekhon; Major RamaswamyParameswaran; Naib Subedar Bana Singh; Captain VikramBatra; Lt Manoj Kumar Pandey; Subedar Major (then RifleMan) Sanjay Kumar; and Subedar Major Retd (Hony Captain) Grenadier Yogendra Singh Yadav.
- The National Memorial dedicated to Netaji will have a museum, a cable car ropeway, a laser-and-sound show, a guided heritage trail through historical buildings and a theme-based children’s amusement park, besides a restro lounge.
14. Govt sets up India’s ____ task force on digital public infrastructure?
Answer: E) G20
- The Union government has set up India’s G20 Task Force on Digital Public Infrastructure for Economic Transformation, Financial Inclusion and Development. The task force will be co-chaired by India’s G20 sherpa Amitabh Kant and Infosys chairman NandanNilekani.
- The task force will “oversee and facilitate achieving India’s G20 Presidency agenda and priorities on digital public infrastructure, financial inclusion, promoting digital identity, improved and innovative technology-based services including digital payments system like UPI along with the governance frameworks.”
- An order was issued by the Ministry of Finance for the constitution of the task force on January 21, 2023.
15. Indian Navy’s fifth stealth Scorpene class Submarine ____ was commissioned into the Indian Navy at the Naval Dockyard Mumbai?
A) INS Vegant
B) INS Vikrant
C) INS Vagir
D) INS Vikram
E) INS Vijay
Answer: C) INS Vagir
- Indian Navy’s fifth stealth Scorpene class SubmarineINS Vagir was commissioned into the Indian Navy at the Naval Dockyard Mumbai in the presence of Adm R Hari Kumar, Chief of the Naval Staff, the Chief Guest for the ceremony.
- INS Vagir is named after a “Sand Shark”.
- Six Scorpene type submarines have been ordered by India in 2005 as part of the Project 75 program. They are constructed locally by the Mazagon Dock Limited shipyard in Mumbai, with assistance of Naval Group, designer of these submarines. Four submarines, Kalvari, Khanderi, Karanj and Vela have already been commissioned into the Indian Navy. Outfitting of the sixth and final submarine, Vagsheer, is ongoing. It was launched by MDL in April 2022 and is set to start sea trials this year. It will be delivered to the Indian Navy in March 2024.
- It includes seven Russian Kilo class submarines, four German HDW submarines, fiveScorpene class submarines, and the indigenous nuclear ballistic missile submarine, INS Arihant.
16. The Business 20 (B20) inception meeting being organised in which state?
- The Business 20 (B20) inception meeting being organised in Gujarat’s Gandhinagar city as part of India’s G20 presidency will deliberate on issues ranging from climate change, innovation, global digital cooperation and resilient global value chains.
- As part of the three-day meeting, delegates will be taken for a visit to DandiKutir, a museum on Mahatma Gandhi in Gandhinagar, Gujarat.
- The B20 India 2023 dialogue will take place under the theme of ‘RAISE,’ an acronym for Responsible, Accelerated, Innovative, Sustainable and Equitable Businesses.
- A plenary session for the B20 meeting will be organised at the Mahatma Mandir in Gandhinagar in which Union Commerce Minister Piyush Goyal, Railway Minister Ashwini Vaishnaw, Gujarat Chief Minister Bhupendra Patel and India’s G20 Sherpa Amitabh Kant will take part, the official said.
- The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) is the secretariat for B20 India and Tata Group Chairman Natarajan Chandrasekaran is the chairman for B20 India.
- Ahmedabad, a UNESCO World Heritage city, will host the Urban20 (U20) cycle.
- Ahmedabad will host various events, including a City Sherpas’ inception meeting on February 9-10, thematic discussions and side events on urban development issues, culminating in the U20 Mayors’ Summit in July 2023.
17. The centre is set to unveil a new monsoon research facility at a “super site” in _______ to study the monsoon phenomenon and make better seasonal forecasts by studying tropical clouds?
Answer: A)Madhya Pradesh
- The centre is set to unveil a new monsoon research facility at a “super site” in Madhya Pradesh to study the monsoon phenomenon and make better seasonal forecasts by studying tropical clouds.
- The Atmospheric Research Testbed-Central India (ART-CI) is shaping up at the 100-acre campus at Silkheda in Sehore district of Madhya Pradesh as a project of the Pune-based Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), after battling delays due to Covid-19 pandemic and encroachment by locals on the site.
18. Who inaugurated the two-day Regional Conference on “E-Governance” in Mumbai?
A) Piyush Goyal
Answer: B) EknathShinde
- The Chief Minister of Maharashtra Shri EknathShinde inaugurated the two-day Regional Conference on “E-Governance” in Mumbai.
- This conference has been jointly organized by the Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances (DARPG) in collaboration with the Government of Maharashtra from January 23 to 24, 2023 in Mumbai.
- The conference is hybrid mode has been attended by 500 delegates from 30 participating States and UTs
Over All Review
Banking and Finance
Business And Economy