Daily Current Affairs January 21
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs January 21. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
January 21 | Daily Current Affairs 2022
Important Days – Daily Current Affairs January 21
1. 50th statehood day on Tripura, Meghalaya and Manipur:
- As Tripura, Meghalaya, and Manipur celebrate their 50th statehood day, January 21, extending his best wishes, Prime Minister Narendra Modi greeted the people of Manipur, Tripura, and Meghalaya on their statehood days.
Tripura State People’s Liberation Council celebrated 44th Kokborok Day:
- The 44th Kokborok Day of Tripura State People’s Liberation Council was celebrated at Agartala Melaramath All India Krishak Sabha Bhavan.
- Radhacharan Debbarma, General Secretary of the Central Committee of the Tripura State People’s Liberation Council and other leaders were present there.
- Speaking on the occasion, Radhacharan Debbarma, General Secretary of the People’s Liberation Council, said that people who did not know the language before, such as Kokborok speakers, used to name a specific bar or month when naming.
- But after the coming of Left Front government in the state, it brought innovation.
- Moreover, in the past a village would have been named after the village chief but now it is not, such a mixed culture was created in our state, but the separatist forces of the state are shifting all the responsibility on the People’s Liberation Council to the new generation.
- The presence of party workers and supporters on this day’s language day was remarkable.
Sports – Daily Current Affairs January 21
2. Ladakh wins national Women’s Ice Hockey Championship 2022:
- The 9th National Women’s Ice Hockey Championship 2022 ended on Thursday at Ice Hockey Rink Kaza.
- National Women’s Ice Hockey Championship 2022, based on best ranking was given to the Union Territory of Ladakh and Chandigarh was declared the runner-up.
- The tournament was declared closed by Union Information Broadcasting and Sports Minister Anurag Singh Thakur through video conferencing.
- Union Minister Anurag Singh Thakur said through his video message that I would like to congratulate the Ice Hockey Association of India and Lahaul Spiti for successfully organizing the prestigious National Women’s Ice Hockey Championship 2022.
Banking and Finance – Daily Current Affairs January 21
3. NABARD sanctions Rs 951cr for 176 road projects in Odisha:
- The National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) sanctioned Rs 951 crore to the Odisha government for the construction of 176 rural roads.
- The assistance has been sanctioned under the the Rural Infrastructure Development Fund (RIDF) for 176 rural road projects in all 30 districts of the state, NABARD Chief General Manager, Odisha Regional Office, C Udayabhaskar, said in a statement.
- The projects with a combined length of 1,434 km will improve rural connectivity for 9.92 lakh people in 959 villages.
- This sanction is in line with the priority given by the state government for developing critical rural infrastructure such as drinking water supply, irrigation, and rural connectivity (roads and bridges).
- These infrastructure projects will play a key role in supporting the rural economy by improving the livelihood of people, Udayabhaskar said.
- The national bank has made a cumulative sanction of Rs 3,852 crore for Odisha during the current financial year for critical rural infrastructure projects under RIDF.
4. AIIB to invest $150 mn in development of data centres serving Asia:
- Multilateral bank Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), will invest $150 million in the development of data centers that mostly serve emerging Asia.
- Beijing-based AIIB, where India is a key founding member, will channelise funds through the Keppel Data Centre Fund II (KDCF II), a private equity vehicle managed by Alpha Investment Partners Limited (Alpha).
- This is AIIB’s first data center project.
- Multilateral development banks have been investing in digital infrastructure in the past.
- Now, such investments are becoming more essential nowadays with the acceleration of 5G technology and other high-speed/supercomputing digital infrastructure due to the pandemic.
- AIIB’s investment of $100 million through a parallel fund structure and $50 million through co-investments marks the final close of KDCF II.
- The fund is focussed on strategic investments in the fast-growing data center sector with a focus on Asia Pacific.
5. Liberty General Insurance partners with NIA to design certicate course on EV:
- Liberty General Insurance has partnered with the National Insurance Academy (NIA) to design a certification course on Electric Vehicles (EVs) for the insurer’s claims team.
- The move comes at a time when EVs are seeing a lot of consumer interest and are expected to capture a considerable market share in the private vehicle segment.
- This would eventually lead to a rise in motor insurance claims.
6. Ujjivan Small Finance Bank launches Platina fixed deposit:
- Ujjivan Small Finance Bank launched Platina Fixed Deposit, which offers interest of 15 basis points in addition to the regular Ujjivan SFB term deposit rates.
- The general FD for 990 days tenure gives 6.9% for general citizens and 7.65% for senior citizens, but Platina FD offers 15 bps over and above these interest rates, as per the company.
- However, it comes with certain conditions.
- The minimum FD amount is ₹20 lakh and the maximum amount is less than ₹2 crore.
- The Platina FD is a non-callable deposit, partial & pre-mature withdrawal is not applicable to this scheme.
- The interest payout options can be availed on the monthly, quarterly and also at the end of the maturity period.
- The deposit tenure ranges from one year to a maximum of five years.
Appointments – Daily Current Affairs January 21
7. Prajakta Koli becomes UNDP India’s first youth climate champion:
- Content creator and actress Prajakta Koli has become India’s first UN Development Programme (UNDP) Youth Climate Champion under her partnership with the organisation.
- The title has been conferred to her following her contribution towards mental health, women’s rights and girl child education through various global social campaigns.
- UNDP aims to eliminate poverty, achieve sustainable growth and scale up human development in countries where it is required the most.
- As a part of her responsibilities now, Prajakta will be entrusted with interacting with young minds to raise awareness around climate crisis, global warming and biodiversity loss and their impacts, the tremors of which are being felt by all sections of the society, especially the poor and marginalized communities.
Awards – Daily Current Affairs January 21
8. Pfizer chief Albert Bourla wins $1 million Genesis Prize:
- Albert Bourla, chairman and chief executive of global pharmaceutical giant Pfizer Inc., was awarded on January 19 the prestigious Genesis Prize for his efforts in leading the development of a COVID-19 vaccine.
- The $1 million award is granted each year to a person for their professional achievements, contributions to humanity and commitment to Jewish values.
- The Genesis Prize Foundation said Mr. Bourla had received the largest number of votes in an online campaign in which some 2,00,000 people in 71 countries participated.
9. ‘Anxiety’ is Oxford University Press’ Children’s Word of the Year 2021:
- The Oxford University Press has declared ‘Anxiety’ as Children’s Word of the Year 2021.
- Eight thousand children in the UK were surveyed and asked to choose the words they would use when talking about health and wellbeing.
- Previous Oxford University Press’ Children’s Word of the Year include coronavirus (2020), Brexit (2019), plastic (2018), Trump (2017), and refugee (2016).
Science and Technology – Daily Current Affairs January 21
10. Engine for Gaganyaan programme successfully undergoes qualification testing:
- High-thrust Vikas engine for the Gaganyaan programme has successfully undergone qualification test for a duration of 25 seconds at Indian Space Research Organisation Propulsion Complex in Mahendragiri, Tamil Nadu.
- With regard to the Vikas engine qualification for the Gaganyaan Programme, two engines have already undergone tests under nominal operating conditions for a total duration of 480 seconds, the Bengaluru-headquartered space agency noted in a statement.
- The test carried out is to verify the robustness of the engine by operating beyond its nominal operating conditions (fuel-oxidiser ratio and chamber pressure).
- Subsequently, another high-thrust Vikas engine will undergo a long-duration test for 240 seconds to complete the Vikas engine qualification for the Gaganyaan Programme, it was stated.
International Affairs – Daily Current Affairs January 21
11. India-Sri Lanka extend science and technology cooperation for 3 more years:
- India and Sri Lanka have extended their science and technology cooperation for three more years, with focus on areas like waste-water technologies, sustainable agriculture, aerospace engineering, big data analytics, and artificial intelligence.
- In a statement, the science and technology ministry said the decision to extend the cooperation was taken at the ‘India-Sri Lanka 5th Joint Committee on S&T Cooperation’ held.
- This platform will provide an opportunity for discussing various other facets which are possible for collaboration in the domain of science and technology, he said, adding that there are a lot of opportunities available for bilateral cooperation
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs January 21
12. NITI Aayog–RMI report indicates electric, commercial vehicles as early segments to prioritise:
- NITI Aayog, Rocky Mountain Institute (RMI), and RMI India released a report, titled ‘Banking on Electric Vehicles in India’, which outlines the importance of priority-sector recognition for retail lending in the electric mobility ecosystem.
- The report provides considerations and recommendations to inform the inclusion of EVs in the Reserve Bank of India’s (RBI’s) priority-sector lending (PSL) guidelines.
- Banks and non-banking financial companies (NBFCs) in India have the potential to achieve an electric vehicle (EV) financing market size of Rs 40,000 crore (USD 5 billion) by 2025 and Rs 3.7 lakh crore (USD 50 billion) by 2030.
- However, retail finance for EVs has been slow to pick up.
- Priority-sector lending aims to expand financial access and support employment opportunities in India.
- In order to meet these goals, the report highlights that the RBI may consider various EV segments and use cases based on five parameters: socio-economic potential, livelihood generation potential, scalability, techno-economic viability, and stakeholder acceptability.
13. TN CM launches mobile app for police personnel to apply leave:
- Simplifying cumbersome norms for police personnel here to submit leave applications and to get approval, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M K Stalin launched a mobile app ‘CLApp’ for them to seek leave and obtain permission.
- Currently, about 5,800 police personnel here from constables to special assistant sub-inspectors, including those in the armed reserve, visit the offices of their superiors to submit leave applications and to get sanction.
- Following approval, they also need to register it in the office diary.
- Making the process easy, the mobile app was launched by Stalin which facilitates submission of leave applications and a facility to apply leave using SMS has also been created, an official release here said.
- The app provides a duration of 3 hours for police officers to act on leave applications.
- If the designated, jurisdictional official does not look into applications with the specified time limit, the papers would get automatically forwarded to officers at the next higher level.
- The Chennai Police Leave Application (CLApp) lists 7 types of leave including casual, medical and earned leave and applicants may specify reasons by picking from options listed separately.
- The mobile app launch event was held at the Secretariat. Director General of Police C Sylendra Babu, Chennai Police Commissioner Shankar Jiwal and senior government officials participated.
14. PM Modi inaugurates new Circuit House near Somnath Temple:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the new Circuit House near Somnath Temple in Gujarat via video conferencing.
- According to Prime Minister’s Office (PMO), Somnath Temple is visited by lakhs of devotees from India and abroad every year.
- The need for the new Circuit House was felt as the existing government facility was located far off from the temple.
- The new Circuit House has been built at a cost of over Rs 30 crore and is located near the Somnath Temple, the PMO said.
- It is equipped with top-class facilities including suites, VIP and deluxe rooms, conference room, auditorium hall etc.
- The landscaping has been done in such a manner that a sea view is available from every room, it added.
15. Indian Navy’s P8I aircraft participates in multinational exercise ‘Sea Dragon-22’:
- The Indian Navy’s long-range maritime reconnaissance aircraft P8I participated in the multinational anti-submarine warfare exercise ‘Sea Dragon-22’ that concluded at Guam, USA, , an official statement said.
- ”The exercise was aimed to enhance interoperability among participating nations by evolving common tactics in response to emerging traditional and non-traditional security challenges in maritime domain,” the Indian Navy’s statement said.
- Aircraft from six navies — the US, India, Japan, Canada, Australia and South Korea — participated in Sea Dragon-22, it said.
- ”These aircraft included P8A, P8I, P1, CP140 Aurora and P3C Orion maritime reconnaissance aircraft,” the statement noted.
- The Indian Navy’s aircrew also undertook professional interaction with other participants from friendly foreign countries, it said.
16. Delhi govt launches portal for info on EVs:
- In view of providing all necessary information on electric vehicles (EVs) in the national capital on a single platform, the Delhi government launched a dedicated portal.
- The government’s https://ev.delhi.gov.in/ contains information on EV models available in the market, savings and charging facility among others, Transport Minister Kailash Gahlot said at the launch event, adding that the Delhi government wanted to give a user-friendly, interactive and resourceful platform to the public.
- The website also provides information on location of charging stations and specification of the chargers.
- Currently, Delhi has 377 charging points at 170 locations and the number is increasing.
- The website will also provide real-time updated numbers to the users, according to a statement issued by the transport department.
- The portal also features ‘EV calculator’ that gives an estimate of the savings on fuel by a specific EV in comparison to its equivalent conventional vehicle.
- ”It enables the consumers to make a rational choice and identify the cost reduction that an EV can provid,” Gahlot said.
- Besides the price, brand and range provided by a given EV, the portal’s dashboard also carries updates on Delhi’s EV ecosystem, including sales and uptake of vehicle in Delhi in real-time.
- The website also has a feedback and grievance section where stakeholders can give their suggestions.
- Especially for grievances and requests, an auto-generated e-mail will be sent to the consumer as well the transport department, the statement mentioned.
17. Gadkari approves Rs 1,200 cr road upgradation project in Karnataka:
- Union Minister for National Highways and Road Transport, Nitin Gadkari, has approved a Rs 1200 crore project to upgrade the existing 2-lane Shiradi Ghat road into a 4-lane highway.
- The National Highways Authority of India (NHAI) would take up the project and complete it in two years, Gadkari said.
- Chief Minister Basavaraj Bommai has assured full cooperation and speedy approvals for implementing the project, a press note from the CM’s office stated.
- The Shiradi Ghat road needs immediate upgradation.
- The road is usually in pitiable condition during the monsoon season.
First e-vehicle charging station launched at South Extension Part-I in New Delhi:
- Telecommunications Consultants India, TCIL, with support of South Delhi Municipal Corporation launched the first e-vehicle charging station at South Extension Part-I in New Delhi.
- The launch was inaugurated by Union Minister Meenakshi Lekhi.
- This e-vehicle charging station is the first one in a series of 65 e-charging stations to be set up by TCIL in progressive manner in the next four months in the South Delhi area.
- Six light vehicles can be charged at each charging station at a time.
- AIR correspondent reports that these charging stations are equipped with CCTV surveillance, Wi-fi facility and powered by a 6-kiloWatt solar panel.
- The e-vehicle charging station will help in popularizing use of e-vehicle and in reducing pollution in the city.
18. Coal Secretary launches Koyla Darpan Portal:
- In order to share Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) related to the Coal Sector a portal “Koyla Darpan” has been launched by Dr. Anil Kumar Jain, Secretary, Ministry of Coal.
- As an initial step, the portal has the following KPIs –
- Coal/Lignite Production,
- Coal/Lignite Offtake,
- Exploration Data,
- Central Sector Schemes,
- Status of Coal Stock in Thermal Power Plants,
- Infrastructure Projects,
- Allocation of Blocks (CMSP/MMDR),
- Monitoring of Major Coal Mines (CIL),
- Coal Price.
19. Shri Bhupender Yadav delivers India’s statement at the Fourth Asia Ministerial Conference on Tiger Conservation:
- Minister for Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Shri Bhupender Yadav stated that the natural resources dependent community is an important aspect of tiger conservation and the ‘people agenda’ ranks prominently in India’s ‘tiger agenda’.
- The Minister was speaking at the 4th Asia Ministerial Conference on tiger conservation, an important event for reviewing progress towards the Global Tiger Recovery Programme and commitments to tiger conservation.
- The Minister further informed that under the able leadership of Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi the budgetary allocation for tiger conservation has increased from Rs 185 crore in 2014 to Rs 300 crore in 2022 and informed that 14 Tiger Reserves in India have already been awarded with international CA|TS accreditation and efforts are on to bring in more Tiger Reserves under CA|TS accreditation.
- In India, tigers inhabit, a wide variety of habitats ranging from the high mountains, mangroves swamps, tall grasslands, to dry and moist deciduous forests, as well as evergreen forest systems.
- By virtue of this, tiger is not only a conservation icon but also it is as an umbrella species for majority of the ecosystem in the Indian sub-continent.
- India is one of the Founding members of the intergovernmental platform of Tiger Range Countries – Global Tiger Forum, and over the years, GTF has expanded its programme on multiple thematic areas, while working closely with the Government of India, tiger states in India and tiger range countries.
Over All Review
Banking and Finance
Science and Technology