Daily Current Affairs January 20
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs January 20. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
January 20 | Daily Current Affairs 2022
Important Days – Daily Current Affairs January 20
1. National Disaster Response Force Raising Day 2022:
- The National Disaster Response Force (NDRF) Raising Day is annually marked on January 19.
- The NDRF was formed on this day in 2006.
- It is a specialised, multi-skilled, humanitarian force in India, which has been playing a crucial role in the country’s disaster management and community awareness for Disaster Risk Reduction (DRR).
- In a first, The NDRF inducted a batch of 100 women disaster combatants and rescuers last year.
- The team, deployed to the banks of river Ganga in Garhmukteshwar town, Hapur district of Uttar Pradesh, were trained as complete rescuers. Every NDRF battalion is sanctioned to have 108 women combatants.
- The successive natural calamities from 1990 to 2004 led to the enactment of the Disaster Management Act on December 26, 2005.
- The result was the formation of the National Disaster Response Force.
- This was set up to lay down the plans, policies, and guidelines for disaster management.
- The National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA) is the parent body of NDRF, which currently consists of 15 battalions from the Border Security Force (BSF), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP), Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) and Assam Rifles.
- With more than 13,000 personnel, the battalions of the NDRF have been equipped to respond to natural as well as man-made disasters.
- They are also trained to respond during chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear (CBRN) emergencies.
Each battalion has 18 self-contained specialist search and rescue teams including engineers, technicians, electricians, dog squads and medical/paramedics.
DAY-NRLM celebrates Agri Nutri Garden Week as part of Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav:
- Deendayal Antyodaya Yojana – National Rural Livelihood Mission (DAY-NRLM) has observed ‘Agri Nutri Garden Week’ from 10th to 17th January, 2022 through awareness campaign and encouraging establishment of ‘Agri Nutri Gardens’ in the rural households.
- It is the Mission’s agenda to support every rural poor household to have Agri Nutri Garden to fulfill the need of the family’s nutrition and any excess production can also be sold for income generation.
- In line with Prime Minister’s vision of enhancing strength of Rural Economy and his clarion call of Atma Nirbhar Bharat, Rural India is showing the way with establishment of over 78 lakh Agri Nutri Gardens towards ensuring Food and Nutritional Security in Rural India.
- A total of 76,664 ‘Agri Nuti Gardens’ were established in this week against the target of 7500.
- The initiative is also helping in promoting nutritional awareness, education and behavioral change in rural areas involving farm women and school children, harnessing traditional knowledge through the local recipe to overcome malnutrition and implementing nutrition-sensitive agriculture through homestead agriculture and Nutri-garden.
Sports – Daily Current Affairs January 20
2. Mithali Raj, Jhulan Goswami named in ICC Women’s ODI Team of 2021:
- Mithali Raj and Jhulan Goswami were named in ICC Women’s ODI Team of 2021. Mithali and Jhulan are the only two Indians in the side.
- The eleven will be led by England’s Heather Knight.
ICC Women’s ODI Team of 2021:
- Lizelle Lee (South Africa), Alyssa Healy (Australia), Tammy Beaumont (England), Mithali Raj (India), Heather Knight (c, England), Hayley Matthews (West Indies), Marizanne Kapp (South Africa), Shabnim Ismail (South Africa), Fatima Sana (Pakistan), Jhulan Goswami (India), and Anisa Mohammed (West Indies).
Babar Azam named captain of ICC Men’s ODI Team of Year 2021, no Indian in final XI:
- Pakistan captain Babar Azam has been named as the captain of the ICC Men’s ODI Team of the Year for 2021, announced by the global cricket body, January 20.
- He was also named as the captain of the ICC T20I Team of the Year announced.
- Once again, no Indian has featured in the ODI Team of the Year.
- There were no Indians in the ICC T20I Men’s Team of the Year but Smriti Mandhana found a spot in the Women’s T20I Team of the Year.
- Ireland opener Paul Stirling, who scored 885 runs including 3 hundreds in 2021, has been named the opener along with South Africa’s Janneman Malan.
- ICC Men’s ODI Team of the Year: Babar Azam (captain), Paul Stirling, Janneman Malan, Fakhar Zaman, Rassie van der Dussen, Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim (wicketkeeper), Wanidu Hasaranga, Musafizur Rahman, Simi Singh, Dushmantha Chameera.
3 Indians named in Test Team of the Year:
- Three Indian players have been included in the ICC Test Team of the Year.
- Rohit Sharma, Rishabh Pant and Ravichandran Ashwin have made the cut in the Kane Williamson-led side.
- The players from India, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, England, Australia and Pakistan are included in the team.
- ICC Test Team of the Year: Dimuth Karunaratne, Rohit Sharma, Marnus Labuschagne, Joe Root, Kane Williamson (c), Fawad Alam, Rishabh Pant (wk), Ravichandran Ashwin, Kyle Jamieson, Hasan Ali, Shaheen Afridi
India set to host football AFC Women’s Asian Cup India 2022 from 20th Jan:
- India is all set to host the football AFC Women’s Asian Cup India 2022.
- Addressing a virtual press conference, AIFF President Praful Patel said, the tournament will help in building women’s football in India.
- He said, all the preparations for the tournament are in place and we are in complete readiness to host it.
- This is a very special tournament because women’s football is gaining a lot of ground in Asia, and particularly in India, he added.
- The tournament, which will be held in Mumbai, Navi Mumbai, and Pune, will witness 12 teams competing for the trophy.
- The AFC Women’s Asian Cup India will also be the final stage of Asian qualification for the 2023 FIFA Women’s World Cup in Australia and New Zealand.
Banking and Finance – Daily Current Affairs January 20
3. RBI: Digital payments up 39.6% in Sept 2021:
- The RBI’s Digital Payment Index, which shows the deepening of payments through digital modes in India, rose by 39.64 per cent to 304.06 in September 2021 against 217.74 in the year-ago month.
- Constructed with March 2018 as the base period — DPI score for March 2018 is set at 100 — the RBI-DPI was 173.49 in September 2019.
- Digital payments increased after Covid hit the nation in March 2020 and the government and the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) announced several measures to boost digital payments.
- The RBI-DPI comprises five broad parameters that enable measurement of deepening and penetration of digital payments in the country over different time periods, viz. payment enablers (with 25 per cent weight), payment infrastructure—demand-side factors (10 per cent), payment infrastructure—supply-side factors (15 per cent), payment performance (45 per cent) and consumer centricity (5 per cent).
- These parameters have sub-parameters which, in turn, consist of various measurable indicators.
- The DPI for March 2019 and March 2020 work out to 153.47 and 207.84, respectively.
- The RBI said the DPI would be based on multiple parameters and will reflect accurately penetration of various digital payment modes.
Appointments – Daily Current Affairs January 20
4. RBI approves Vinod Rai’s appointment as independent chairman of Unity SFB:
- Vinod Rai, the former comptroller and auditor general of India, has been granted approval by the Reserve Bank of India to be appointed as the independent chairman of Unity Small Finance Bank (SFB), a joint venture between Centrum group and Bharat Pe.
- Apart from Rai, the SFB has appointed Sandip Ghose, an RBI veteran, Basant Seth, the former chairman and managing director of erstwhile Syndicate Bank, and Subhash Kutte, former chairman RBL Bank to its board to guide its journey in becoming a successful digital bank.
- Unity SFB started its operations in November last year after receiving a final nod from the central bank.
- The RBI gave this joint venture a small finance bank licence to take over the beleaguered Punjab and Maharashtra Cooperative Bank.
- Unity Bank is in the process of acquiring the assets and liabilities of PMC Bank under RBI’s resolution for the bank.
Awards – Daily Current Affairs January 20
5. Shaylyn Ford of America wins Mrs World 2022:
- 37 Years old Shaylyn Ford was crowned as the winner of Mrs World 2022 earlier today.
- She represented America in the pageant and battled out 57 other contestants from across the globe to claim the title.
- This is the 8th time an American representative won the title of Mrs. World.
- Shaylyn is married for 18 years and is a mother of 2 sons.
- She was crowned by the outgoing queen Kate Schneider from Ireland.
|Mrs World 2021||Shaylyn Ford, America|
|1st Runner-up||Jaclyn Stapp, Jordan|
|2nd Runner-up||Debanjali Kamstra, United Arab Emirates|
Science and Technology – Daily Current Affairs January 20
6. Israel successfully completes flight test of Arrow 3 Weapon System:
- The Israel Missile Defense Organization (IMDO) of the Directorate of Defense Research and Development (DDR&D) in Israel’s Ministry of Defense, together with the U.S. Missile Defense Agency (MDA) and the Israeli Defense Forces, conducted today (Tuesday) a successful flight test of the Arrow Weapon System (AWS) and the Arrow 3 interceptor, which is designed to intercept ballistic missiles outside of the earth’s atmosphere.
- The test was performed at a test site in central Israel, and led by Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI).
- AWS operational radars array detected the target and transferred data to the battle management control (BMC), which analyzed the data and established a defense plan.
After the defense plan was established, two Arrow-3 interceptors were launched toward the target and successfully completed the mission.
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs January 20
7. Karnataka govt launches AVGC Center of Excellence in Bengaluru:
- The AVGC Center of Excellence (Animation, Visual Effects, Gaming, and Comics CoE), considered as a pioneering high technology digital media hub, funded by the Karnataka Department of Electronics, IT/BT , was launched.
- It has been launched as an initiative of ‘Innovate Karnataka’, the department said.
- Through this, the Karnataka government which owns the credit of being the first State in India to introduce an AVGC policy way back in 2012, has also become the country’s first to set up such a center of excellence which is also said to be the biggest in Asia, it said in a release.
- The Centre also has a ‘Finishing School’ which offers unique courses based on emerging technology such as virtual reality, digital compression, photogrammetry, gamification of education, real-time virtual production, and other emerging technologies, he said.
8. India successfully test-fires new version of BrahMos supersonic cruise missile off Odisha coast:
- India successfully test-fired a new version of the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile off the coast of Odisha in Balasore, informed the defence sources.
- According to Defence sources, the missile was equipped with new technological developments which were successfully proven.
- Earlier on January 11, the country had successfully test-fired BrahMos Supersonic Cruise missile from the Indian Navy’s INS Visakhapatnam warship.
- “Advanced sea to sea variant of BrahMos Supersonic Cruise missile was tested from INS Visakhapatnam today.
- The missile hit the designated target ship precisely,” DRDO official had said.
- The missile is a joint venture between India and Russia where Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) represents the Indian side.
- The missile was tested from INS Visakhapatnam which is the latest warship of the Indian Navy inducted recently.
- BrahMos is the main weapon system of the Indian Navy warships and have been deployed on almost all of its surface platforms.
- An underwater version is also being developed which will not only be used by the submarines of India but will also be offered for export to friendly foreign nations.
9. PM Modi inaugurates launch of ‘Azadi Ke Amrit Mahotsav se Swarnim Bharat Ki Ore’:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurated the launch of ‘Azadi Ke Amrit Mahotsav se Swarnim Bharat Ki Ore’.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is delivering the keynote address at the national launch ceremony of ‘Azadi Ke Amrit Mahotsav se Swarnim Bharat Ke Ore’ today via video conferencing.
- The program unveiled yearlong initiatives dedicated to Azadi Ka Amrit Mahotsav by the Brahma Kumaris, which include more than 30 campaigns and over 15000 programs and events.
- During the event, Prime Minister flagged off seven initiatives of Brahma Kumaris. These include My India Healthy India, Aatmanirbhar Bharat: Self Reliant Farmers, Women: Flag Bearers of India, Power of Peace Bus Campaign, Andekha Bharat Cycle Rally, United India Motor Bike Campaign and green initiatives under Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
- Brahma Kumaris is a worldwide spiritual movement dedicated to personal transformation and world renewal.
- Founded in India in 1937, Brahma Kumaris has spread to over 130 countries.
- The event is being held on the occasion of the 53rd Ascension Anniversary of Pitashree Prajapita Brahma, Founding Father of Brahma Kumaris.
10. PM Modi, Mauritius PM Jugnauth to jointly inaugurate India-assisted Housing project:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Mauritius PM Pravind Kumar Jugnauth will jointly inaugurate the India-assisted Social Housing Units project in Mauritius virtually.
- The two PMs will also launch the Civil Service College and an 8MW Solar PV Farm projects in Mauritius being undertaken under India’s development support.
- An Agreement on extending a US$ 190 mn Line of Credit (LoC) from India to Mauritius for the Metro Express Project and other infrastructure projects; and an MoU on the implementation of Small Development Projects will also be exchanged, an official statement said.
- In March 2017, an agreement was signed between RITES, an Indian Public Sector Undertaking, and the Government of Mauritius, appointing RITES as a Consultant for the Metro Express Project.
- The 26 km light rail transport would link Port Louis with Curepipe.
- In March 2015, Prime Minister Narendra Modi during his visit to Mauritius had announced a new LoC of USD $500 Million for civilian infrastructure projects
11. Gujarat govt launches helpline toll-free number 14567 for senior citizens:
- Gujarat government has launched a helpline for senior citizens. Minister of Social Justice and Empowerment Pradip Parmar has launched this helpline with a toll-free number 14567.
- This helpline known as Elder Line has been activated with immediate effect.
- Senior Citizens will get information related to various government schemes, different social issues, details of Old-age homes and Senior Citizens Act 2007 through this helpline number.
12. AgNext joins hands with NAFED to train FPOs in quality assessment of pulses:
- Agritech company AgNext Technologies has collaborated with NAFED to organise a virtual training and awareness programme on quality assessment of pulses for Maharashtra’s biggest Farmer Producer Organisations (FPOs).
- AgNext has engaged with five FPOs in the state to create awareness about quality standards of pulses, particularly tur, for the upcoming procurement season.
- The FPOs will in turn train 40,000-50,000 farmers from across the state.
- The programme aimed to train FPOs about the different market quality standards for tur.
- The commodity is graded and priced based on this assessment. Practical demonstrations of physical assessment parameters were done to apprise the participants on how to recognise broken, damaged, immature, shrivelled or weevilled pulses, presence of foreign matter, moisture content in the samples, and other essential parameters.
- The participants were also shown how AgNext’s physical quality assessment device ‘SpecX Visio’ can instantly analyse tur dal samples and conduct a physical quality check in less than a minute.
13. Union Minister Dr Jitendra Singh launches Mobile COVID testing facility for Northeast, beginning with Mizoram from where the State Chief Minister Pu Zoramthanga joined the launching ceremony online:
- Union Minister of State (Independent Charge) Science & Technology; Minister of State (Independent Charge) Earth Sciences; MoS PMO, Personnel, Public Grievances, Pensions, Atomic Energy and Space, Dr Jitendra Singh today launched Mobile COVID testing facility for Northeast, beginning with Mizoram from where the State Chief Minister Pu Zoramthanga joined the launching ceremony online.
- The first of its kind Mobile Diagnostic Laboratory (I-LAB) is capable of performing both RT-PCR and ELISA.
14. Govt agency ties up with Amazon for products by grassroot innovators:
- Products by grassroots innovators, outstanding traditional knowledge holders, as well as student creativity-based innovative products will be available to millions of customers by virtue of a new partnership between NIFientreC and Amazon India.
- An MoU was signed between NIF Incubation and Entrepreneurship Council (NIFientreC), a Technology Business Incubator (TBI) hosted by the National Innovation Foundation (NIF), an autonomous institute of the Department of Science and Technology, and Amazon India for online distribution of such ready to market products.
- NIFientreC was established in 2015 with the financial support from the Department for incubation and commercialisation of technological ideas and innovations of innovators, traditional knowledge holders and students across the country.
- This MoU between Amazon, and NIFientreC, follows just a couple of days after the declaration of January 16 as the National Start-up Day by the Prime Minister.
- The MoU, signed by Executive Director, NIFientreC, Rakesh Maheshwari and Director, Amazon Seller Services Private Ltd (ASSPL), Sumit Sahay, will help strengthening the commercial dissemination of the innovative products from local startups and boost India’s startup culture in line with these announcements, a release from the Ministry of Science and Technology said.
Over All Review
Banking and Finance
Science and Technology