Daily Current Affairs January 21&22
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs January 21&22. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
January 21&22| Daily Current Affairs 2023
Important Days – Daily Current Affairs January 21&22
1. The Statehood Day of Manipur, Meghalaya and Tripura is celebrated on which date?
A) January 22
B) January 23
C) January 24
D) January 25
E) January 21
Answer: E) January 21
- The Statehood Day of Manipur, Meghalaya and Tripura is celebrated on January 21.
- This year marks the 51st foundation year for the three states which attained statehood under the North Eastern Areas (Reorganisation) Act of 1971. While Manipur and Tripura were princely states which were absorbed into India in October 1949, Meghalaya was part of Assam after Independence.
- The states came into being in 1972 after the North-Eastern Areas (Reorganisation) Act, of 1971, was enacted. It resulted in a significant change in the boundaries of India’s Northeastern region, dividing it into states and Union Territories (UTs) after 24 years of Independence.
Sports – Daily Current Affairs January 21&22
2. ShuttlerKunlavutVitidsarn wins India Open Badminton title. He is related to which country?
- Thai shuttlerKunlavutVitidsarn won the India Open title. He defeated World No.1 Denmark’s Viktor Axelsen in the men’s singles final of the India Open Badminton Championship 22-20, 10-21 and 21-12 at K. D. Jadhav Indoor Stadium in New Delhi.
- Earlier, Korean sensation An Seyoung won the Women’s singles final. She beat World No.1 Japanese Akane Yamaguchi 15-21, 21-16, 21-12.
Banking and Finance – Daily Current Affairs January 21&22
3. Which organisation has launched an information database on municipal bonds?
- Markets regulator Sebi has launched an information database on municipal bonds.
As part of efforts to develop the bond markets, an outreach programme on municipal bonds and municipal finance was organised by Sebi in the national capital on January 20 and 21
- Representatives from various stakeholders, including the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, municipal corporations, stock exchanges, credit rating agencies, merchant bankers and debenture trustees, participated in the programme.
4. Which bank and Paytm have ended their partnership for a co-branded credit card Paytm CITI Card?
A) HDFC Bank
B) Canara Bank
C) Axis Bank
D) SBM Bank India
Answer: E) Citibank
- Citibank and payments platform, Paytm, have ended their partnership for a co-branded credit card Paytm CITI Card, ahead of the merger of Citibank’s commercial banking business with Axis Bank.
- Both Citibank and Paytm have written to cardholders informing them that the co-branded credit card will be shut down, and offering them other cards they could opt for.
- For existing Citi Rewards Credit Card customers, the bank has offered to replace the Paytm Citi cardswith Citi Cash Back Credit Card. It added that the consent to swap to another Citi-branded credit Card will also serve as consent for transfer of the cardholder’s banking relationship with Citibank to Axis Bank, it said.
- Failure to consent, will lead to closure of the Citi Paytm credit card effective January 30, as Citi India will no longer be able to provide services on the Citi Paytm Credit Card, it said.
- In March 2022, Axis Bank had announced acquiring Citigroup’s retail banking business in India for ₹12,325 crore, subject to requisite approvals. This comprised Citibank’s consumer business, including credit cards, retail banking, wealth management and consumer loans
Appointments – Daily Current Affairs January 21&22
5. Who is appointed as the next director general of the Directorate of General of Civil Aviation (DGCA)?
A)Vikram Dev Dutt
B) Surya Kumar
D) Vishnu Singh
Answer: A)Vikram Dev Dutt
- At a time when the aviation regulator is flagging a lot of safety issues with the airlines, the Cabinet Committee on Appointments has approved the appointment of senior IAS officer Vikram Dev Dutt as the next director general of the Directorate of General of Civil Aviation (DGCA).
- Dutt, a 1993-batch IAS officer of the AGMUT cadre is currently serving as the chairman and managing director (CMD) of Air India Asset Holding Ltd. The officer will take over his new position on 28 February, upon the superannuation of incumbent DGCA Chief Arun Kumar, who was serving as the aviation regulator since July 2019.
6. Mr. Chris Hipkins is appointed as Prime Minister of which country?
Answer: B)New Zealand
- New Zealand’s ruling Labour Party selected Mr. Chris Hipkins to replace Ms. JacindaArdern as its leader and the 41st Prime Minister of the country. Mr. Hipkins was the only nomination for the job and his confirmation in a party meeting, known as the Labour caucus, was largely a formality.
- Mr. Hipkins named Mr. Carmel Sepuloni as Deputy Prime Minister.
- First elected to Parliament in 2008, he became a household name fronting the Government’s response to the pandemic. He was appointed Health Minister in July 2020 before becoming the COVID Response Minister at the end of the year
7. Dr PrabhaAtre was conferred with the PanditHariprasadChaurasia Lifetime Achievement Award. He won which award?
Answer: E)Padma Vibhushan
- Hindustani vocalist Padma Vibhushan Dr PrabhaAtre was conferred with the PanditHariprasadChaurasia Lifetime Achievement Award. The award was presented to her by Maharashtra Chief Minister EknathShinde at Thane near Mumbai. The Chief Minister felicitated Dr Atre at a function at Ram Ganesh GadkariRangayatan.
- Shinde presented Dr Atre with a citation and Rs 1 lakh at the program, during which a symphony of 90 flutists was performed to mark her 90th birthday. Speaking on this occasion, Shinde said his government is committed to promoting arts and would also promote classical music.
Science and Technology – Daily Current Affairs January 21&22
8. Which IIT has developed BharOS – an indigenous mobile operating system for mobile phone users in the country?
B) IIT Mandi
C) IIT Kolkata
D) IIT Kozhikode
E) IIT Indore
Answer: A)IIT Madras
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras (IIT Madras) has developed BharOS – an indigenous mobile operating system for mobile phone users in the country. The OS is claimed to be a significant contribution towards ‘Atmanirbhar Bharat’ and is said to offer a secure environment for users.
- BharOS has been developed by JandK Operations Private Limited (JandKops) – a non-profit organization established by IIT Madras Pravartak Technologies Foundation.
- The Foundation is funded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India, under its National Mission on Interdisciplinary Cyber-Physical Systems (NMICPS).
Defence – Daily Current Affairs January 21&22
9. Which armed force conducts ‘Ops Alert’ exercise to step up security on Indo-Pak border along Gujarat & Rajasthan ahead of Republic Day?
- The Border Security Force has started an “Ops Alert” exercise to enhance security along the India-Pakistan border in Kutch district of Gujarat and Barmer in Rajasthan in view of the upcoming Republic Day celebrations.
- The exercise, which began from Saturday, was being carried out to “thwart any ill designs of anti-national elements” during the Republic Day celebrations.
- The Union Home Ministry has sanctioned aRs 50-crore fund for the construction of eight multi-storey bunkers cum observation posts in this area along the Bhuj sector in view of the “constant infiltration of Pakistani fishermen and fishing boats in the area”.
International Affairs – Daily Current Affairs January 21&22
10. Abdel Fattah El-Sisi to be Chief Guest at India’s Republic Day celebrations on 26th January. He is president of which country?
- President of Egypt, Abdel Fattah El-Sisi, will pay a state visit to India from the 24th to the 26th of this month. President El-Sisi will be the Chief Guest at India’s 74th Republic Day. He will be accompanied by a high-level delegation, including five Ministers and senior officials.
- This is for the first time that the President of Egypt has been invited as Chief Guest at India’s Republic Day celebrations. A military contingent from the Egyptian Army will also participate in the Republic Day parade.
- India and Egypt are celebrating 75 years of establishment of diplomatic relations this year.
11. The first-ever joint exercise between the special forces of the Indian Army and which country’s Army named “Exercise Cyclone-I” is underway in Rajasthan?
- The first-ever joint exercise between the special forces of the Indian Army and the Egyptian Army named “Exercise Cyclone-I” is underway in Rajasthan, according to an official statement.
- The exercise, which began on January 14, is aimed at bolstering defence cooperation between the two nations and focus on sharing professional skills and interoperability of the Special Forces in desert terrain while undertaking counter-terrorism, reconnaissance, raids and other special operations, the statement added.
- Egyptian President Abdel Fattah El-Sisi is scheduled to arrive in India on January 24. He will be the first Egyptian President and the fifth leader from the Middle East to grace the Republic Day celebrations as chief guest.
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs January 21&22
12. The Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Shivraj Singh Chauhan and Union Minister for Science & Technology, Dr.Jitendra Singh jointly inaugurated “India International Science Festival, IISF-2022” in which place?
Answer: E) Bhopal
- The Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh Shri Shivraj Singh Chauhan and Union Minister for Science & Technology, Dr.Jitendra Singh jointly inaugurated India International Science Festival, IISF-2022 in Bhopal with the theme, “Marching towards AmritKaal with Science Technology and Innovation”.
- The themes selected for the Young Scientist Conference are Frontier areas of Science Research, Pandemic Challenges, impacts and research in vaccine development, Water resources, conservation, recycling and purification, Biodiversity, Environment & Climate Change, Food and Energy Security for Self-Reliant India.
- New Age technologies show (22-24 January) aims to promote innovation in cutting-edge technologies such as Artificial Intelligence Machine Learning, Cyber Security, Block Chain, Digital Currency Industry, 4.0, 5G/6G, Quantum Computing, Semiconductor Chip Design, Drone Technologies, Green Energies, Space Technologies, Sensor Technologies, Systems and Synthetic Biology.
13. G20’s First Environment and Climate Sustainability Working Group (ECSWG) Meeting to be held from February 09-11, 2023 at which place?
B) New Delhi
Answer: E) Bengaluru
- India will be holding the Presidency of G20 for one year till 30th November 2023. The forum will bring together the G20 member countries, guest countries and international organisations invited by India. Through the Sherpa Track, 13 Working Groups and 2 Initiatives will meet under India’s Presidency to discuss priorities and provide recommendations. Environment, Climate & Sustainability is one of working groups under the Sherpa Track.
- The first G20 environment meeting under G20 India Presidency is scheduled to be held during 09th -11th February in Bengaluru, at The Taj West End.
- Leading to the 1st Meeting in Bengaluru, Mysuru Zoo in coordination with Central Zoo Authority organised a Two-Day National Conference for Zoo Directors of India on 18th and 19th of January 2023.
- The conference mainly focused on “Master Planning and Building the National Capacity for species Management & Conservation Breeding.” In this conference 59 Participants from 25 states and an union territory participated.
- It was inaugurated by Mayor of Mysuru City corporation and succeeded in drawing attention to conservation practices.
India’s G20 presidency: First Y20 meet in Guwahati from February 6 to 8:
- The first meeting of the Youth20 (Y20) group, being organised on the sidelines of the G20 summit, will be held in Assam’s largest city Guwahati from February 6 to 8.
- This is the first of the various meetings to be held on the five Y20 themes across India in a run-up to the final Youth20 Summit in August 2023.
14. ECI host 2nd International Conference on ‘Use of Technology and Elections Integrity’ in which place?
B) New Delhi
Answer: B) New Delhi
- The Election Commission of India (ECI) will host the 2nd International Conference on the theme – Use of Technology and Elections Integrity, in New Delhi. The ECI is leading the Cohort on Elections Integrity which was established as a follow-up to the Summit for Democracy held in December 2021.
- The two-day international conference will be inaugurated by Chief Election Commissioner Rajiv Kumar.
- Around 43 Participants from 17 Countries including Angola, Argentina, Australia, Croatia, Indonesia, Mauritius, Nepal, Philippines and Suriname are expected to join.
15. The annual Ethnic Mamani Festival was organised at Historical Styangkung Village and ChiktanShagaran by the Himalayan Cultural Heritage Foundation (HCHF) and Tourism Department of which UT?
- In Ladakh, the annual Ethnic Mamani Festival was organised at Historical Styangkung Village and ChiktanShagaran by the Himalayan Cultural Heritage Foundation (HCHF) and Ladakh Tourism Department.
- The Steyangkung village is around 500 years old and still well-preserved and is being developed as one of the well-maintained heritage villages in Ladakh.
- The history of the celebration of the Mamani Festival in Ladakh goes back to the ancient tradition of giving food to departed family members. During Mamani, people would exchange food with their relatives and neighbours and worship a variety of spirits (Lha).
16. Which state CM launched his government’s ambitious project Schools of Eminence?
- Punjab Chief Minister Bhagwant Mann launched his government’s ambitious project Schools of Eminence, saying it is a ”revolutionary” step in ensuring a golden future for the students and also a giant leap towards becoming a real frontrunner in education.
- A budget of Rs 200 crore has been earmarked for the Schools of Eminence project.
- The project aims at reimagining education in government schools envisioning holistic development of students and preparing them to be responsible citizens. Its five pillars are state-of-the-art infrastructure, academics, human resource management, sports and co-curricular activities and community engagement
- Under the Schools of Eminence project, 117 government schools in 23 districts will be upgraded with a special emphasis on classes 9 to 12.
Over All Review
Banking and Finance
Science and Technology