Daily Current Affairs August 23
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs August 23. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
August 23| Daily Current Affairs 2022
Banking and Finance – Daily Current Affairs August 23
1. Which of the following Bank launched digital banking units in Punjab, Tamil Nadu?
A) ICICI Bank
B) City Union Bank
C) DBS Bank
D) Federal bank
E) IndusInd Bank
Answer: E) IndusInd Bank
- IndusInd Bank has launched two digital banking units, one each in Punjab and Tamil Nadu, in order to support the initiative to accelerate and widen the reach of digital banking services in the country.
- The digital banking units will offer a gamut of Digital, Do It Yourself (DIY) journeys.
- This includes the instant opening of Savings & Current Accounts, Term Deposits, instant processing of Personal and Business loans, KYC updates, DIY Credit Card journeys, internet banking, and account statement generation, IndusInd Bank.
2. How many million USD was provided by ADB to improve water supply, sanitation services in HP?
A) $ 95.3 million
B) $ 94.3 million
C) $ 96.3 million
D) $ 97.3 million
E) $ 98.3 million
Answer: C) $ 96.3 million
- The Asian Development Bank (ADB) and the Government of India signed a USD 96.3-million loan agreement to provide safe drinking water and improve water supply and sanitation services in the state of Himachal Pradesh.
- The signatories for the Himachal Pradesh Rural Drinking Water Improvement and Livelihood Project were Rajat Kumar Mishra, Additional Secretary, Department of Economic Affairs, who signed on behalf of the Government of India, and Takeo Konishi, Country Director for ADB in India, who signed for ADB.
- The project is aligned with the objectives of the Government of India’s Jal Jeevan Mission which aims to provide piped water to all rural households by 2024 and it will upgrade water supply infrastructure and strengthen institutional capacity to ensure safe, sustainable, and inclusive rural water supply and sanitation services.
3. How many lakhs monetary penalty was imposed by RBI on Swagatam Marketing?
A) Rs 1 lakh
B) Rs 2 lakhs
C) Rs 3 lakhs
D) Rs 4 lakhs
E) Rs 5 lakhs
Answer: A) Rs 1 lakh
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has imposed a monetary penalty on Swagatam Marketing Private Limited, Kolkata, for non-compliance with NBFC-related norms.
- The RBI has imposed Rs 1 lakh monetary penalty through an order dated August 16, 2022.
- The central bank has imposed the penalty for contravention of/ non-compliance with the directions issued by RBI to Non-Banking Financial Company (Non-Systemically Important, Non-Deposit taking) regarding Change in Management.
- This penalty has been imposed in exercise of powers vested in RBI under clause (b) of sub-section (1) of section 58G read with clause (aa) of sub-section (5) of section 58B of the Reserve Bank of the lndia Act, 1934, taking into account the failure of the company to adhere to the aforesaid directions issued by RBI.
4. Who among the following inaugurated Axis Bank Branches in North-Eastern states?
A) Axis Bank Chairman
B) Finance Minister
C) North Eastern States Minister
D) Axis Bank MD
E) RBI Governor
Answer: B) Finance Minister
- Union Finance Minister and Corporate Affairs Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated Axis Bank Branch at Mon district of Nagaland.
- The Union Minister also virtually dedicated three other Axis Bank branches at Demow and Gohpur in Assam and Madanrting in Meghalaya.
Business and Economy – Daily Current Affairs August 23
5. Indian EV market to hit annual sales of 17 million units by which year?
Answer: D) 2030
- India’s electric vehicle market is expected to expand at a compounded annual growth rate of 49 percent between 2021-2030, with the segment’s volumes set to cross annual sales of 17 million by 2030.
- This projected growth is expected to be driven by factors such as rising fuel prices, entry of new players, advancement in EV technology, continued subsidy support from both the central and state governments as well as the anticipated implementation of emission standards.
- The EV industry in India experienced one of the quickest recoveries from the pandemic-induced slowdown in 2020, the report observed, noting that the electric two-wheeler segment, accounted for 50 percent of the total over 4.67 lakh EV sales in the domestic market followed by the low-speed e-three-wheelers in 2021.
6. Union Minister Jitendra Singh said Country’s Bioeconomy will grow from 70 billion to 150 billion US dollars by which year?
Answer: C) 2025
- Union Minister Dr. Jitendra Singh has said that the country’s Bioeconomy will grow from 70 billion to 150 billion US dollars by 2025.
- He stressed that this can only be achieved with active participation of all the stakeholders in the biotechnology Sector.
- During the announcement of 75 “Amrit” Grants for Biotech initiatives involving StartUps, industry, academia and research bodies in integrated collaboration.
- Dr. Singh described that the Biotechnology sector has been recognized as one of the key drivers growing exponentially and it will be the main torch bearer of the country’s developed economic status in the Amrit Kaal period of next 25 years.
- Highlighting the 75 Amrit grants Dr. Singh said, 75 inter-disciplinary, multi-institutional grants would be supported for high-risk, ambitious research ideas, milestones-driven collaborative research in all domain-specific areas of the biotech sector in Public-Private Partnership mode.
7. How many crores contract secured by L&T from IOCL?
A) Rs 2500-5000 crores
B) Rs 1000-2000 crores
C) Rs 1500-3000 crores
D) Rs 3000-4000 crores
E) Rs 1000-2500 crores
Answer: A) Rs 2500-5000 crores
- The hydrocarbon-onshore division of L&T’s energy business has secured a large contract from Indian Oil Corporation.
- According to the company, the contract is valued between Rs 2,500 and Rs 5,000 crore.
- The company said the contract is awarded through international competitive bidding on a lump sum turnkey (LSTK) basis.
- IOCL is implementing the Panipat Refinery Expansion (P-25) project to enhance refining capacity from 15 MMTPA to 25 MMTPA to meet the growth in demand of petroleum products and to increase profitability and competitiveness in the long run.
- The engineering, procurement, construction, and commissioning (EPCC) contract is for setting up a residue hydrocracker unit (RHCU) for this P-25 project.
- The RHCU is licensed by Axens (France) with a capacity of 2.5 MMTPA and will upgrade the vacuum residue (VR) to high-value commercial products (mainly diesel).
Acquisitions and Mergers – Daily Current Affairs August 23
8. Norway announcedhow many percent stake in solar power plant in Rajasthan developed by Italian Enel?
Answer: E) 49%
- Norway announced a large solar power investment in India with an agreement to take a 49 per cent stake in a solar power plant in Rajasthan developed by Italian Enel.
Appointments – Daily Current Affairs August 23
9. Who among the following became Director (Marketing) of Bharat Petroleum?
B) Sukhmal Jain
Answer: B) Sukhmal Jain
- Organization: Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited
- Posting: Director (Marketing)
- Appointed: Shri Sukhmal Jain
- Others: Shri Jain was the Executive Director Incharge (Marketing Corporate) in the Corporate Office and before that the head of Gas Business Unit.
Science and Technology – Daily Current Affairs August 23
10. In which of the following state India’s first observatory to monitor space activity will come up?
B) West Bengal
Answer: A) Uttarakhand
- India’s first commercial space situational awareness observatory, to track objects as small as 10 cm in size orbiting the earth, will be set up in the Garhwal region of Uttarakhand by Digantara, a space sector start-up.
- The space situational awareness (SSA) observatory will help India track any activity in space including that of space debris and military satellites hovering over the region.
- Currently, the United States is a dominant player in monitoring space debris with observatories in multiple locations and commercial companies providing additional inputs from across the world.
- The observatory in Uttarakhand will fill the crucial gap in SSA observations in the region as there is a lack of such facilities between Australia and southern Africa.
Environment and Energy- Daily Current Affairs August 23
11. NHPC signed pact with whom to set up solar equipment manufacturing facility?
A) Torrent Power
B) Adani Power
E) Tata Power
Answer: C) BEL
- NHPC signed an initial pact with Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) to set up a large capacity solar equipment manufacturing facility.
- A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) has been signed between NHPC and BEL for setting up of gigawatt-scale vertically integrated solar manufacturing unit.
- The MoU was signed by Biswajit Basu, Director (Projects), NHPC, and Vinay Kumar Katyal, Director (Bangalore Complex), BEL.
- State-owned hydro power giant NHPC has an installation base of 7071.2 MW from 24 power stations including two projects in JV mode.
- It is engaged in the construction of 11 projects aggregating to a total installed capacity of 7,539 MW.
- During 2021-22, NHPC power stations achieved generation of 24,855 MU (million units).
- Last fiscal, NHPC reported Rs 8,181 crore as income from sale of power with a net profit of Rs 3,538 crore.
12. NTPC commissioned first part of how many mega-wattGandhar Solar PV Project?
A) 40 MW
B) 35 MW
C) 30 MW
D) 25 MW
E) 20 MW
Answer: E) 20 MW
- NTPC Limited, a government of India enterprise, has commissioned the first part of 20 MW Gandhar Solar PV Project at Gandhar in Gujarat.
- Consequent upon successful commissioning, first part capacity of 10 MW out of 20 MW Gandhar Solar PV Project at Gandhar, Gujarat.
- With this, the standalone installed and commercial capacity of NTPC will become 55099 MW, while the group installed and commercial capacity of NTPC will become 69464 MW.
- NTPC is India’s largest power utility.
- It plans to become a 130 GW company by 2032.
International Affairs – Daily Current Affairs August 23
13. In which of the following country EAM Jaishankar inaugurated Indian Embassy?
E) Sri Lanka
Answer: B) Paraguay
- External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar jointly inaugurated the new Indian Embassy here in Paraguay with his counterpart Julio Cesar Arriola, expressing confidence that this new resident mission will take the bilateral relations to greater heights.
- Jaishankar, who is on his first-ever official visit to South America aimed at boosting overall bilateral ties with the region, is also the first Indian Foreign Minister to visit Paraguay, coinciding with the 60th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries.
14. India signed MoU with which of the following country on Seafarers Voyages?
E) Sri Lanka
Answer: A) Iran
- Union Minister of Ports, Shipping & Waterways and Ayush, Shri Sarbananda Sonowal called on His Excellency, Vice President of Islamic Republic of Iran, Mohammad Mokhber at Tehran.
- The two leaders discussed about further bolstering the Indo-Iranian bilateral relations.
- Both the countries signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) on recognition of Certificates of Competency in Unlimited Voyages to help seafarers from both the countries as per the provisions of International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification and Watch Keeping for Seafarers (1978).
15. India handed over 21,000 tonnes of chemical fertilizer to which of the following country?
E) Sri Lanka
Answer: E) Sri Lanka
- India handed over 21,000 tonnes of chemical fertilizer to the crisis-ridden neighbour Sri Lanka.
- India’s High Commissioner formally handed over the consignment under the country’s special support to the people of Sri Lanka.
- This follows 44,000 tonnes supplied last month under Indian support, totalling about 4 billion US dollars in 2022.
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs August 23
16. Centre signed headquarters agreement with Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure in where is the headquarters of CDRI?
C) New Delhi
Answer: C) New Delhi
- The Coalition for Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI) and the Government of India (GoI) signed a headquarters agreement in New Delhi.
- The agreement will enable the status of an ‘Independent and International Legal Entity’ for CDRI.
- The agreement was signed by Amit Prothi, Director General, CDRI and Noor Rahman Sheikh, Joint Secretary, Ministry of External Affairs, and will enable the institution to pursue functions internationally with all rights, immunities, and privileges, as per the United Nations (Privileges & Immunities) Act, 1947.
17. How many projects sponsored by firms as CSR in Nagaland were launched by Sitharaman?
Answer: B) 52
- Union Finance and Corporate Affairs Minister Nirmala Sitharaman inaugurated 52 projects to be sponsored by various companies in Nagaland as part of their Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
- Sitharaman launched the projects during the inaugural ceremony of the three-day CSR and Investment Conclave here, in which more than 100 corporate delegates and investors are taking part.
- Most of the projects are related to health, education and skill and entrepreneurship development.
- She also inaugurated exhibition stalls put up by various districts, departments, civil society organisations and NGOs to attract CSR investments.
18. IIMR, Akshaya Patra Foundation signed MoU to integrate millets under PM POSHAN scheme, where is the headquarters of IIMR?
C) New Delhi
Answer: D) Hyderabad
- Indian Institute of Millets Research (IIMR) and the Akshaya Patra Foundation have signed an MoU to integrate millets under the PM POSHAN scheme to increase the consumption of millets and thereby help improving children’s nutritional status.
- The collaboration is an initiative towards the run-up for 2023 as the International Year of Millets led by the Government of India.
- With an aim to further research and promote diversified, balanced and healthy diets through the sustainable production and consumption of climate-resilient and nutritious millet in various feeding programmes and integration of millets in PM POSHAN scheme (formerly known as the Mid-Day Meal Scheme) in various states, the Akshaya Patra Foundation joined hands with the Nutrihub incubator of IIMR.
- The partnership aims to collaborate on menu development and study efficacy, coordinate to assess the feasibility of millet products or grains through mid-day meals in various states and look at possible PPP (private-public partnerships) for scaling up on a national level.
19. Uttar Pradesh bagged how many croresDefence corridor project?
A) Rs 11250 crores
B) Rs 12150 crores
C) Rs 11520 crores
D) Rs 12510 crores
E) Rs 15210 crores
Answer: A) Rs 11250 crores
- The Uttar Pradesh government has bagged 93 investment proposals worth more than Rs 11,250 crore for the flagship defence corridor project.
- The nodal agency, the UP Expressway Industrial Development Authority (UPEIDA), has signed memorandums of understanding (MoUs) with these private companies.
- The process of attracting more defence industry firms is underway.
- While the government has so far acquired 1,600 hectares, about 30 companies have been allocated land for setting up their plants as part of the corridor.
- The UP-Defence Corridor, which constitutes a vital cog in the country’s defence and strategic matrix, spans six nodes in the state — Lucknow, Kanpur, Jhansi, Aligarh, Chitrakoot, and Agra.
Over All Review
Banking and Finance
Business And Economy
Acquisitions and Mergers
Science and Technology
Environment and Energy