Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
April 5 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. National Maritime Day is observed on which date?
A) April 03
B) April 04
C) April 05
D) April 06
E) April 07
Answer: C) April 05
- National Maritime Day is an annual celebration on April 5th.
- This year, India will mark its 58th edition of National Maritime Day.
- The first celebration took place in 1964 to spread awareness about intercontinental commerce and the economy.
- The day is celebrated every year to support the global economy, the most well-organized, safe and sound environmentally responsive way of transporting goods from one corner to another corner in this world.
National Maritime Day history:
- The legacy of Indian shipping first started on April 5th, 1919, when the first ship The SS Loyalty manufactured by The Scindia Steam Navigation Company Ltd. sailed from Mumbai to the United Kingdom.
- India also became a member of the International Maritime Organisation (IMO) in 1959.
- IMO is responsible for maritime protection and preventing pollution from ships.
National Maritime Day awards:
- On National Maritime Day, an award ceremony is organised to recognize the efforts made by people for the Indian Maritime Sector.
- The Varuna Award that consists of a statue of Lord Varuna and a scroll is awarded to them for their long and exceptional contribution.
- The NMD award is also given to the people for their excellence for the lifelong contribution and distinguished achievements at the senior functional level in the maritime sector.
- The award consists of a trophy and a citation.
2. Hubert Hurkacz of which Country clinches Miami Open title defeating Jannik Sinner?
Answer: C) Poland
- In Tennis, 26th seed Hubert Hurkacz of Poland won the biggest title of his career beating 19-year-old Jannik Sinner of Italy in the Miami Open final last night.
- Hurkacz, 24, improved to 10-0 in Florida this year, including the Delray Beach title in January.
Hubert Hurkacz – Miami Open title defeating Jannik Sinner.
3. Which country topped the tally with 20 medals in the 3rd Sheikh Hamdan bin Al Maktoum Dubai Para-Badminton International 2021 in Dubai?
Answer: D) India
- In Badminton, defending world champion Pramod Bhagat clinch two gold medals as India finished their campaign in the 3rd Sheikh Hamdan bin Al Maktoum Dubai Para-Badminton International 2021 in Dubai with 20 medals.
- Krishna Nagar and Prem Kumar Ale were also brilliant on the day, winning the other two gold medals for India in combined SH6 and the mixed doubles WH1-WH2 categories.
- India topped the tally with 20 medals (4 gold, 6 silver and 10 bronze medals), ahead of France who finished with eight medals (4 gold, 2 silver and 2 bronze) and Malaysia with seven medals (3 gold, 1 silver and 3 bronze).
List of Indian medal winners at the event:
4. Russian Open 2021 is related to which sports?
C) Table Tennis
Answer: A) Badminton
- The Badminton World Federation (BWF) cancelled two Super 100 badminton tournaments – the Russian Open 2021 and Indonesia Masters due to COVID-19.
- The Russian Open was scheduled to take place in Vladivostok from July 20-25 and Indonesia Masters from October 5-10.
BWF – Cancel Russian Open & Indonesia Masters due to COVID-19.
5. P. Balachandran passed away. He was related to which field?
A) Only 1
B) Only 2
C) Only 3
D) Only 4
E) All of these
Answer: E) All of these
- P. Balachandran, screenwriter, filmmaker, dramatist and actor, passed away.
- The artiste, whose official name was Padmanabhan Balachandran Nair
- He is also the winner of Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award and Kerala Professional Nataka Award.
- One of his best plays is Paavam Usman.
- He had debuted as a filmmaker too, in the year 2012, through the film ‘Ivan Megharoopan.
- His last film as a scriptwriter was ‘Edakkad Battalion 06’, which was directed by Swapnesh K Nair and had Tovino Thomas and Samyukta Menon in the lead.
P Balachandran – Malayalam actor-writer.
BANKING AND FINANCE
6. The World Bank approved a how much amount Mizoram Health Systems Strengthening Project to improve management capacity and quality of health services in Mizoram?
A) $31 million
B) $32 million
C) $33 million
D) $34 million
E) $35 million
Answer: B) $32 million
- The World Bank Board of Executive Directors approved a $32 million Mizoram Health Systems Strengthening Project to improve management capacity and quality of health services in Mizoram, situated in the North East region of India, particularly for the benefit of underserved areas and vulnerable groups.
- The project will strengthen the governance and the management structure of the Department of Health and Family Welfare (DoHFW) and its subsidiaries, improve the quality and coverage of services delivered by the state government health systems, and invest in a comprehensive Quality Assurance program which would enable quality certification of health facilities.
- The $32 million loan from the International Bank for Reconstruction and Development (IBRD), has a maturity of 14.5 years, including a grace period of 5 years.
World Bank, AIIB approve loan for USD 300 million canal-based drinking water projects in Punjab:
- The World Bank and Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) have approved loan for USD 300 million (about Rs 2,190 crore) canal-based drinking water projects in Punjab.
- The project is aimed at ensuring quality drinking water and minimise water losses for Amritsar and Ludhiana, according to a Punjab government statement.
- The entire project will be co-financed by IBRD (World Bank) – USD 105 million, Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank – USD 105 million and the Punjab government – USD 90 million.
- The infrastructure has been designed to meet the water demand for 30 years.
- It would benefit the residents of Amritsar with an estimated population of 14.51 lakh in 2025 and 22.11 lakh in 2055.
- It would benefit the residents of Ludhiana with an estimated population of 20.76 lakh in 2025 and 29.35 lakh in 2055
Members: 189 countries (IBRD), 173 countries (IDA)
Hq: Washington D.C, US
Head: David Malpass
Governor: PS Sreedharan Pillai
World Bank – USD 32 million project to boost health services in Mizoram.
7. Mobisafar Services Private Limited has launched ‘Mobisafar Virtual RuPay Prepaid card’ in partnership with which Bank and NPCI?
A) Bandhan Bank
B) IndusInd Bank
C) Yes Bank
D) ICICI Bank
E) HDFC Bank
Answer: C) Yes Bank
- Mobisafar Services Private Limited, a Ludhiana-based Fintech start-up, has launched ‘Mobisafar Virtual RuPay Prepaid card’ in partnership with YES BANK and National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI). Mobisafar has presence in 13000+ pin codes with 1.5 lacs BC agents and provides services like Domestic Money Transfer, Aadhar Enabled Payment System, Micro ATM, Cash collection, Bill Payments, Recharges and travel bookings to the customer across rural heartlands.
- The ‘Mobisafar Virtual RuPay Prepaid Card’ provides convenient access to wallet through a mobile app and desktop with a reloadable limit.
- It can be used to book Airline tickets, hotels, retail shopping, movie tickets, groceries etc.
- To apply for the virtual prepaid card, customers may visit the nearest Mobisafar retail outlet.
Mobisafar Services Private Limited:
Headquarters: Ludhiana, Punjab
MD & CEO: Abhishek Kumar Pandey
Hq: Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD and CEO: Prashant Kumar
Tagline: Experience our Expertise
Mobisafar Services Private Limited + Yes Bank + NPCI – ‘Mobisafar Virtual RuPay Prepaid card’.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
8. NIIFL to invest how much amount in Manipal Hospitals through NIIF Strategic Opportunities Fund?
A) Rs 2,200 crore
B) Rs 2,300 crore
C) Rs 2,400 crore
D) Rs 2,500 crore
E) Rs 2,100 crore
Answer: E) Rs 2,100 crore
- The National Investment & Infrastructure Fund Ltd (NIIFL) announced an investment of ₹2,100 crore in Manipal Hospitals, through its direct private equity fund, Strategic Opportunities Fund, as the healthcare provider pursues its next phase of growth.
- For the investment, NIIFL will get a minority stake in Manipal Hospitals as Chairman of Manipal Education and Medical Group Ranjan Pai is selling a small percentage of his stake in the company.
- The transaction has been signed by both parties and the closing of the transaction is subject to receipt of certain approvals.
National Investment and Infrastructure Fund:
Headquarters: Mumbai, India
CEO: Sujoy Bose
Founded: February 2015
NIIFL – Invest ₹2,100 cr in Manipal Hospitals.
9. Tech Mahindra Ltd has entered into an agreement with Quantoz to launch ‘Stablecoin-As-A-Service’ blockchain solution for global banks and financial institutions. Quantoz is blockchain technology firm which country?
Answer: A) Netherlands
- Tech Mahindra Ltd has entered into an agreement with the Netherlands-based Blockchain technology application incubator Quantoz to launch ‘Stablecoin-As-A-Service’ blockchain solution for global banks and financial institutions.
- The usage of Stablecoins as a payment mechanism has significant potential to reduce transaction costs and processing time, while providing auditability and enhancing security.
- This collaboration is in consideration of the Office of the Comptroller of Currency (OCC) announcement allowing federally chartered US banks to use stablecoins for standard banking functions like payments and transactions.
- This will accelerate the regulated use of blockchain and has the potential to boost its adoption across banking vertical.
Hq: Pune, Maharashtra
Chairman : Anand Mahindra
Tech Mahindra + Quantoz – Launch blockchain solution.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
10. “Rowley Jefferson’s Awesome Friendly Spooky Stories” is authored by whom?
a) Siddhartha Mukherjee
b) Piere Harrison
c) Anjali Joseph
d) Jeff Kinney
e) Joseph Lelyveld
Answer: D) Jeff Kinney
- Living in scary times has inspired “Diary of a Wimpy Kid” author Jeff Kinney to write his new book “Rowley Jefferson’s Awesome Friendly Spooky Stories”publishers Penguin Random House.
Meghwal presents Vice-President his book titled ‘Divya Path Daampatya Ka’:
- Union Parliamentary Affairs Minister Arjun Ram Meghwal presented a copy of his book titled ‘Divya Path Daampatya Ka’ to Vice- President Venkaiah Naidu.
- The book provides an insight into experiences of couples who have completed 50 years of married life and teaching about happy married life.
Book-“Wisdom for Start-ups from Grownups: Discovering Corporate Ayurveda”:
- “Wisdom for Start-ups from Grownups: Discovering Corporate Ayurveda” is authored by corporate leaders R Gopalakrishnan and R Narayanan published by Penguin Random House.
11. Shabir Hussein Shekhadam Khandwawala is appointed as BCCI anti-corruption unit chief. He served as DGP of which state?
B) Madhya Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: A) Gujarat
- Former Gujarat DGP Shabir Hussein Shekhadam Khandwawala has taken over from Ajit Singh as the head of the BCCI’s Anti-Corruption Unit.
- He retired as Gujarat DGP in December 2010.
- After that he was an advisor to the Essar Group for 10 years
Shabir Hussein – Ex-Gujarat DGP appointed as BCCI anti-corruption unit chief.
12. Pham Minh Chinh becomes next Prime Minister of which country?
Answer: E) Vietnam
Currency: Vietnamese dong
Prime Minister : Pham Minh Chinh
Pham Minh Chinh – Vietnam’s next Prime Minister.
13. Who is appointed as new Mission Director for Atal Innovation Mission?
A) Chintan Vaishnav
B) Suresh Vaishnav
C) Tarun Vaishnav
D) Sakthi Vaishnav
E) Varun Vaishnav
Answer: A) Chintan Vaishnav
- Socio technologist Chintan Vaishnav will be taking over as Mission Director of flagship initiative Atal Innovation Mission in mid-April.
- He will be replacing Ramanathan Ramanan to take over as the second Mission Director of AIM.
Chintan Vaishnav – New Mission Director for Atal Innovation Mission – replacing Ramanathan Ramanan.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
14. The Electrochemical Energy Storage (EES) Lab at which IIT has developed a 5V dual-carbon battery utilising self-standing carbon fibre mats as both electrodes?
A) IIT Kharagpur
B) IIT Bombay
C) IIT Mandi
D) IIT Madras
E) IIT Hyderabad
Answer: E) IIT Hyderabad
- The Electrochemical Energy Storage (EES) Lab at IIT Hyderabad has developed a 5V dual-carbon battery utilising self-standing carbon fibre mats as both electrodes (cathode and anode).
- This new model sets aside the requirement for toxic, costly, and heavy transitional metals
- Energy economy based on renewable sources has been put forward as a way to shrug off the dependence on fossil fuel.
- Rechargeable lithium-ion batteries (LIBs) are projected to meet electric mobility, electric aviation, and stationary grid energy storage targets within the year 2030.
- The novel dual carbon battery consisting of zero transition metal is environmentally benign.
- It may cut down the overall battery cost by 20-25 per cent and is expected to curb the unpredictability in market prices. Use of the ubiquitous carbon as the electrode active material as well as current collector replacing heavy metals bring in the aspects of lightness and flexibility.
- The fabricated 5.0 voltage (nominal voltage 4.6 V) cell provides an energy density of 100-watt hour per kilogram approximately and can be extended up to 150-watt hour per kilogram with further modifications.
IIT Hyderabad – Develop alternative to lithium-ion batteries.
15. Israel Air Force has received on a new intelligence aircraft that will provide the military with “unprecedented” reconnaissance capabilities. What is the name of that aircraft?
Answer: D) “Oron”
- The Israeli Defence Ministry said the country’s Air Force has received on a new intelligence aircraft that will provide the military with “unprecedented” reconnaissance capabilities.
- The so-called “Oron” airplane landed in the Nevatim airbase after more than nine years of developments by the Defence Ministry, Air Force, Intelligence Directorate, Navy, and the Israel Aerospace Industries.
- The “Oron” is based on the Gulfstream G550, a business jet manufactured by the US-based General Dynamics company.
- It is equipped with an advanced radar system and data processing algorithms based on advanced data science and artificial intelligence capabilities.
Currency: Israeli new shekel
Israeli air force – Debut mnew spy aircraft.
16. India and which country joined France in kick-starting a three-day mega naval exercise in the eastern Indian Ocean?
3) United States
A) Only 1
B) Only 2
C) Only 3
D) 1 & 3
E) All of these
Answer: E) All of these
- India and three other Quad member nations joined France in kick-starting a three-day mega naval exercise in the eastern Indian Ocean, in reflection of their growing strategic cooperation in the region.
- The Indian naval ships Satpura and Kiltan along with P-8I long range maritime patrol aircraft are participating in multilateral exercise ‘La Perouse’.
- The Indian Navy ships and aircraft will exercise at sea with ships and aircraft of navies of France, Australia, Japan and the United States during the exercise,
Besides host France, the four other participants are members of the Quad or Quadrilateral coalition.
- On March 28 and 29, India and the US navies carried out a two-day naval exercise in the eastern Indian Ocean Region.
- The Indian Navy deployed its warship Shivalik and long range maritime patrol aircraft P8I in the ‘PASSEX’ exercise while the US Navy was represented by USS Theodore Rosevelt carrier strike group.
India – Join multilateral naval drill in eastern Indian Ocean.
17. The first farm-based solar power plant under the Prime Minister’s Kisan Urja Suraksha Evum Utthan Mahabhiyan (KUSUM) scheme is come up in which state?
B) Madhya Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: E) Rajasthan
- The first farm-based solar power plant under the Prime Minister’s Kisan Urja Suraksha Evum Utthan Mahabhiyan (KUSUM) scheme has come up in Jaipur district’s Kotputli tehsil with a provision for production of 17 lakh units of electricity every year.
- The 1 MW project has been established on 3.50 acres of farmland in Kotputli’s Bhaloji village.
- The new plant is also the first of the 623 farm-based solar power projects selected by the Rajasthan Renewable Energy Corporation Limited (RRECL) for generating 722 MW capacity in the State under the scheme’s first phase.
- The project has been commissioned following a 25-year contract signed between the RRECL and farmland owner Devkaran Yadav in September 2020. Developed at a cost of ₹3.70 crore, the plant is expected to generate an annual income of ₹50 lakh for
Mr. Yadav, as the discom will be purchasing electricity at the rate of ₹3.40 per unit.
Renewable energy target:
- The Congress government in the State had adopted the solar energy and the wind and hybrid energy policies in December 2019 with the plans to develop a capacity of 38,000 MW renewable energy.
- The capacity to be developed under the KUSUM scheme will be of the order of 2,600 MW, for which the letters of award have been issued to 623 applicants.
CM: Ashok Gehlot
Governor: Kalraj Mishra
Rajasthan – First farm-based solar power plant.
18. Which organisation flags off Akash Missiles for delivery to Indian Army?
Answer: E) BDL
- Bharat Dynamics Ltd (BDL) manufactured Akash Missiles were flagged off Lt Gen A P Singh, AVSM, Director General and Senior Colonel Commandant, Army Air Defence for delivery to the Indian Army.
- BDL manufactures Akash Missiles both for the Indian Army and Indian Air Force.
- The Akash Weapon System, designed and developed by DRDO (Defence Research and Development Organisation) with 96% indigenous content, is being manufactured by BDL at its Hyderabad Unit with a large number of supply chain partners which include DPSUs, MSMEs and private industry.
- Akash Missile has the capability to engage aerial threats up to the maximum range of 25 km and up to an altitude of 20 km, operating at a speed range of 1.8 to 2.5 Mach.
- The Missile has been successfully test fired on several occasions and is one of the best missiles in this category.
- The focus of BDL has been on ‘Make in India’ with maximum indigenous content and create a Atmanirbhar Bharat in Defence sector. Akash Weapon System is one such product among BDL’s product portfolio in this pursuit for self reliance in Defence.
Bharat Dynamics Limited:
Founded: 1970, Hyderabad
Chairman & MD : Commodore Siddharth Mishra
Parent organizations: Ministry of Defence, Government of India
Bharat Dynamics – Deliver Akash Missiles for delivery to Indian Army.
19. Which organisation has developed an Advanced Chaff Technology to safeguard naval ships against enemy missile attack?
Answer: E) DRDO
- The Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) said it has developed an Advanced Chaff Technology to safeguard naval ships against enemy missile attack.
- Defence laboratory Jodhpur (DLJ), a DRDO laboratory, has indigenously developed three variants of this critical technology — Short Range Chaff Rocket (SRCR), Medium Range Chaff Rocket (MRCR) and Long Range Chaff Rocket (LRCR) — meeting Indian Navy’s qualitative requirements.
- Recently, Indian Navy conducted trials of all three variants in Arabian Sea on Indian Naval Ship and found the performance satisfactory.
Abbreviation: Defence Research and Development Organisation
Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
Chairman: G. Satheesh Reddy
DRDO – Develop advanced chaff technology to safeguard Naval ships
20. Which state government has launched a unique gift scheme to promote covid vaccination in the state?
B) Madhya Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: D) Uttar Pradesh
- Uttar Pradesh government has launched a unique gift scheme to promote covid vaccination in the state.
- 4 gifts will be given to the beneficiaries after lucky draw. Where more than 25,000 or more than 50,000 beneficiaries have taken both the doses of vaccines, the number of gifts will be increased to 6 and 8.
- State government is promoting vaccination and has appealed to the citizen who are above 45 years of age to come forward and take the vaccine as it is safe and also provides a shield against the coronavirus.
- The state is witnessing unprecedented surge in the number of Corona patients recently. With 31 deaths, highest since October last, a record 4164 active cases were reported across the state in last 24 hours.
CM: Yogi Adityanath
Governor: Anandiben Patel
Uttar Pradesh – Unique gift scheme to promote covid vaccination.
21. Spices Board India of which Ministry and UNDP India’s Accelerator Lab signed a MoU with the aim to build a blockchain based traceability interface for Indian spices to enhance transparency in supply chain and trade?
A) Home Minister
B) Commerce and Industry Minister
C) Minor Affairs Minister
D) Women & Child Development Minister
E) Health Minister
Answer: B) Commerce and Industry Minister
- Spices Board India under Ministry of Commerce and Industry and UNDP India’s Accelerator Lab signed a MoU with the aim to build a blockchain based traceability interface for Indian spices to enhance transparency in supply chain and trade.
- Blockchain is a decentralized process of recording transactions on an open and shared electronic ledger.
- This allows for ease and transparency in data management across a complex network, including, farmers, brokers, distributors, processors, retailers, regulators, and consumers, thus simplifying the supply chain.
- It will allow farmers just as all other members of the supply chain to access the information which further makes the entire supply chain more efficient and equitable.
- UNDP and Spices Board India are working towards integrating the Blockchain Traceability Interface with the e-Spice Bazaar portal developed by Spices Board India for connecting spices farmers with markets.
- Design of the Blockchain interface is expected to be completed by next month
Spices Board India + UNDP India’s Accelerator Lab – Build a blockchain based traceability interface.
22. Andhra Pradesh allocates how much amount towards power subsidy for free power to agriculture, other segments?
A) Rs. 9,031 cr
B) Rs. 9,041 cr
C) Rs. 9,051 cr
D) Rs. 9,061 cr
E) Rs. 9,091 cr
Answer: E) Rs. 9,091 cr
- The Andhra Pradesh government has allocated ₹9,091.36 crore towards power subsidy for 2021-2022.
- This includes ₹7,297.08 crore for free power to agriculture and ₹1,657.56 crore for aquaculture and other select consumer segments.
- During this fiscal, the Government expects to extend power subsidy to about 40 lakh families.
- These include free power to 11.73 lakh SC and ST families, most backward classes, 1250 units for launderers, barbers’ shops, goldsmiths and handloom workers among few other select segments.
Odisha approves Rs 2548 cr for integrated child development service in 2021-22:
- In a bid to achieve the vision of a healthy child and healthy mother, the Odisha government today approved an Annual Programme Implementation Plan (APIP) of around Rs.2548.37 crore for integrated child development services for 2021-22.
- The State Level Empowered Committee at its meeting held on digital mode under the Chairmanship of Chief Secretary Suresh Chandra Mahapatra approved the proposal.
- Out of Rs 548.37 crore around Rs, 2341 crore is meant for Anganwadi services including supplementary nutrition, uniform medicine kit equipment for the children, Rs.7.42 crore for the care of adolescent girls in the age group of 11-14 years and Rs.199.52 for Poshan programme.
Capital: Visakhapatnam (executive), Amaravati (legislative), Kurnool (judicial)
CM: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
Governor: Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
Andhra Pradesh – Allocate ₹9,091 cr towards power subsidy for free power to agriculture, other segments.