Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
May 24 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. Commonwealth Day is celebrated on which date?
A) May 23
B) May 25
C) May 24
D) May 22
E) May 21
Answer: C) May 24
- The Commonwealth Day is celebrated on the second Monday in the month of March every year.
- However, in India another Commonwealth Day is also celebrated on May 24.
- Also known as the Empire Day, the Commonwealth Day commemorates the formation of the British Empire in India and other colonies of Britain.
- It was only in 1916 that Empire Day was an official annual event.
- According to Historic UK, a New Zealand school journal from 1910 had mentioned the Empire Day celebration.
- The journal mentioned how the Union Jack was unfurled to celebrate the occasion.
- This year the theme for Commonwealth Day is: Delivering a Common Future.
- The aim of this theme is to highlight how the 54 Commonwealth countries are innovating, connecting and transforming to help achieve essential goals like tackling climate change, promoting good governance, achieving gender equality
2. Who won Monaco Grand Prix?
A) Lando Norris
B) Lewis Hamilton
C) Charles Leclerc
D) Max Verstappen
E) Sergio Perez
Answer: D) Max Verstappen
|1||M. Verstappen||Red Bull|
|2||C. Sainz Jr.||Ferrari|
BANKING AND FINANCE
3. NPCI partners with PayCore to enable RuPay SoftPOS Solutions in India. PayCore is related to which country?
Answer: E) Turkey
- National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) announced that it has boarded Turkey’s global payment solutions company – PayCore as one of the certified partners for RuPay SoftPOS to drive cashless payments across the country.
- Millions of merchants now can convert their NFC-enabled smartphones into a POS machine to accept contactless payments through RuPay SoftPOS.
- NPCI aims at widening the spread of RuPay SoftPOS among micro, small and medium-sized businesses in different parts of the country, with its network of banks along with PayCore.
- RuPay SoftPOS enables merchants to accept payments securely without any hassle from contactless cards, mobile wallets, and wearable just with their mobile phones.
Abbreviation: National Payments Corporation of India
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD & CEO : Dilip Asbe
NPCI + PayCore – Enable RuPay SoftPOS Solutions in India.
4. Which payments app launches India’s first Covid Vaccination Cashback’ program to encourage Covid vaccination for merchants?
Answer: A) BharatPe
- BharatPe, one of India’s leading fintech companies for merchants, announced the roll out of its unique campaign ‘ Covid Vaccination Cashback’ to further strengthen the Indian government’s vaccination drive against COVID-19.
- Launched under ‘BharatPe Cares’, a corporate social responsibility initiative, this first-of-its-kind of programme aims to create awareness about Covid-19 vaccination amongst the company’s 6 million+ merchant partners and also encourage them to get vaccinated without delay.
- In India’s first vaccination Cashback program, BharatPe merchants will get a Rs 300 instant cash back in their bank account by scanning their vaccination certificate via the BharatPe app.
- The company also announced the launch of a Covid-19 Vaccine Tracker on its app to facilitate relevant information on Covid-19 vaccination.
- By using this Vaccine Tracker, the merchants can view details of the nearby Covid-19 Vaccination Centers, based on their location.
- BharatPe launched India’s first UPI interoperable QR code, first zero MDR payment acceptance service, and first UPI payment backed merchant cash advance service, however in post-Covid, BharatPe also launched India’s only zero MDR card acceptance terminals – BharatSwipe.
- Currently serving over 60 lakh merchants across 100 cities, the company is a leader in UPI offline transactions, processing 10 crores+ UPI transactions per month (annualized Transaction Processed Value of US$ 10+ Bn).
Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
CEO: Ashneer Grover
BharatPe – India’s first Covid Vaccination Cashback’ program to encourage Covid vaccination for merchants.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
5. ‘India and Asian Geopolitics: The Past, Present’ is authored by whom?
A) Siva Menon
B) Shivshankar Menon
C) Manoj Menon
D) Kannan Menon
E) ShivSakthi Menon
Answer: B) Shivshankar Menon
- India and Asian Geopolitics: The Past, Present is authored by Shivshankar Menon published by Allen Lane/ PRH.
- A book named “Nehru, Tibet and China” authored by Avtar Singh Bhasin.
Singer Billie Eilish gives intimate account of her life in new book:
- Billie Eilish is giving fans an intimate look at her journey to stardom in a new book and separate audiobook, “Billie Eilish: In Her Own Words.”
- The book includes never-before-seen photos of Eilish from childhood, including one of her at the piano singing into a child’s tape recorder.
India and Asian Geopolitics: The Past, Present – Authored by Shivshankar Menon – Published by Allen Lane/ PRH.
6. Who will assume charge as the Chief Justice of Chhattisgarh High Court ?
A) Prashant Kumar Mishra
B) Prem Kumar Mishra
C) Sakthi Kumar Mishra
D) Sarathi Kumar Mishra
E) Pradhip Kumar Mishra
Answer: A) Prashant Kumar Mishra
- Justice Prashant Kumar Mishra will assume charge as the Chief Justice of Chhattisgarh High Court from June 1.
- In exercise of the powers conferred by Article 223 of the Constitution of India, the President is pleased to appoint Justice Prashant Kumar Mishra, senior-most Judge of Chhattisgarh High Court, to perform the duties of the office of the Chief Justice of that High Court with effect from June 1, 2021, consequent upon the retirement of Justice Parappillil Ramakrishnan Nair Ramachandra Merlon, Chief Justice, Chhattisgarh High Court.
Prashant Kumar Mishra – Assume charge as Chief Justice of Chhattisgarh High Court.
7. Who is appointed as India’s 1st woman flight test engineer?
A) Aarthi V Olety
B) Aashritha V Olety
C) Archana V Olety
D) Badhu V Olety
E) Vanitha V Olety
Answer: B) Aashritha V Olety
- In yet another first for women in the Indian military, an officer of the Indian Air Force (IAF) has graduated from the Air Force Test Pilot School as the country’s first woman flight test engineer.
- Olety, a native of Karnataka, has graduated as part of the 43rd Flight Test Course after completing a one-year course at the pilot school.
Aashritha V Olety – India’s 1st woman flight test engineer.
8. Which startup has received the National Award 2021 from Technology Development Board (TDB)?
E) Breathe Applied Sciences
Answer: E) Breathe Applied Sciences
- A Bangalore based startup has received the National Award 2021 from Technology Development Board (TDB) for developing a commercial solution for conversion of CO2 to chemicals and fuels.
- Breathe Applied Sciences, a startup incubated at Jawaharlal Nehru Centre for Advanced Scientific Research (JNCASR) developed efficient catalysts and methodologies for the conversion of CO2 to methanol and other chemicals.
- It has led to improvisation of process engineering to enhance the production of chemicals and fuels from anthropogenic CO2 generated from various sources including coal and natural gas power generation sectors, steel industry, cement industry, and chemical industries and integrating multiple components involved in the CCUS (Carbon capture, utilization, and sequestration) to develop a complete solution for the environmental issues due to global warming.
- The research was carried out by Prof. Sebastian C Peter and his group from the New Chemistry Unit at JNCASR.
- He is also a co-founder and director of Breathe Applied Sciences which was started from the generous funding from DST Nano Mission.
- The startup signed an agreement with JNCASR, an autonomous institute of Department of Science and Technology for transfer of technology based on lab-scale research on reducing CO2 to methanol and other useful chemicals and fuels.
- The MOU helped in smooth translation of the research in the area of CO2 reduction to useful chemicals and fuels from the laboratory scale to pilot scale economically.
Breathe Applied Sciences – TDB National Award 2021.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
9. Which country has developed an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) with plateau operations capabilities?
Answer: A) China
- China has developed an unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) with plateau operations capabilities and plans to deploy it at Line of Actual Control with India in Kailash mountain range.
- The UAV has been developed in Shaanxi and completed its first flying and control task at Gar Gunsa in Tibet Autonomous Region.
- The Kailash mountain range originates from the southern bank of Pangong Tso and runs northwest to southeast for over 60 km.
- It had been contested by India and China after the border dispute started in May last year.
- The Kailash Ridge is characterised by rugged, broken terrain with heights varying between 4,000-5,500m.
- The ridge’s key features include Gurung Hill, Spanggur Gap, Muggar Hill, Mukhpari, Helmet Top, Rezang La and Rechin La.
- It dominates Chushul Bowl — an important communications centre.
- Last year, after the border dispute at the northern bank of Pangong Tso in Eastern Ladakh, China made an attempt to take over Kailash mountain range on the night of August 29 and August 30, 2020.
- In February this year, India and China started disengagement at the southern and northern bank of the Pangong Lake at Line of Actual Control.
- The disengagement happened after several rounds of military and diplomatic talks.
China – Develop UAV with plateau ops capabilities, to deploy at LAC.
10. India and which country sign work program for development in Agriculture cooperation?
Answer: A) Israel
- Taking forward the ever-growing partnership in agriculture between Israel and India, the two governments have agreed to enhance their cooperation in agriculture and signed a three-year work program agreement for development in Agriculture cooperation, while affirming the ever-growing bilateral partnership and recognizing the centrality of agriculture and water sectors in the bilateral relationship.
- India and Israel are implementing the “INDO-ISRAEL Agricultural Project Centres of Excellence” and “INDO-ISRAEL Villages of Excellence”.
- MIDH, Ministry of Agriculture & Farmer’s Welfare, Government of India, and MASHAV – Israel’s Agency for International Development Cooperation – are leading Israel’s largest G2G cooperation, with 29 operational Centres of Excellence (COEs) across India in 12 States, implementing Advanced-Intensive agriculture farms with Israeli Agro-Technology tailored to local conditions.
- The Centres of Excellence generate knowledge, demonstrate best practices and train farmers.
- Every year, these COEs produce more than 25 million quality vegetable seedlings, more than 387 thousand quality fruit plants and train more than 1.2 lakh farmers about the latest technology in the field of horticulture.
Currency: Israeli new shekel
India + Israel – Sign work program for development in Agriculture cooperation.
11. NHA signs MoU with which state govt to integrate AB-PMJAY with Aarogyasri scheme?
C) Madhya Pradesh
D) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: E) Telangana
- The Ayushman Bharat Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana (AB-PMJAY) will be implemented in Telangana with the integration of the existing state scheme ‘Aarogyasri’.
- As per a statement, National Health Authority (NHA) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Telangana government to implement the AB PM-JAY in the state and will now call the converged scheme Ayushman Bharat PM-JAY Aarogyasri.
- With this, the scheme has been further expanded and now encompasses 33 States and union countries.
- Approximately 26 lakhs beneficiary families (around 1.3 crore individuals) as per Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC), 2011 data will be eligible to avail services under the scheme in the State.
- Beneficiaries are entitled to avail free healthcare coverage of up to Rs 5 lakhs per family in a year for secondary and tertiary care hospitalisation.
- Health services can be availed in any of the 22,000 empanelled public and private hospitals across the country through the scheme’s portability feature.
National Health Authority (NHA):
CEO- R S Sharma
Headquarters– New Delhi
CM: K. Chandrashekar Rao
Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
NHA + Telangana govt – Integrate AB-PMJAY with Aarogyasri scheme.
12. Deloitte, which state government join hands to launch initiative against COVID-19?
C) Madhya Pradesh
D) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: E) Haryana
- Deloitte said it has partnered with the Haryana government to launch a supervised, virtual home care initiative to help people quickly access healthcare for mild to moderate symptoms of COVID-19.
- Under the ‘Sanjeevani Pariyojana’, the Haryana government would provide individuals with support and resources to manage their care at home including access to virtual triage, as well as COVID-19 field hospitals and inpatient facilities when deemed appropriate by state-trained medical staff.
- The programme, designed and supported by Deloitte, the Public Health Foundation of India, and the Post Graduate Institute of Medical Sciences in Haryana, is a critically important step in bringing much needed medical care to the people who need it most, when and where they need it most.
- The pilot project will begin in the Karnal district and may include a rollout to other affected areas shortly thereafter.
CM: Manohar Lal Khattar
Governor: Satyadev Narayan Arya
Deloitte + Haryana government – Launch initiative against COVID-19.
13. Govt provide assistance of how much amount to each Transgender person to meet basic requirements in view of COVID pandemic?
A) Rs 1000
B) Rs 1500
C) Rs 2500
D) Rs 3500
E) Rs 4500
Answer: B) Rs 1500
- Government has decided to provide assistance of Rs 1500 to each Transgender person as immediate support to meet their basic requirements in view of COVID pandemic.
- Social Justice and Empowerment Ministry said that this financial assistance will help the Transgender community to meet their day-to-day needs.
- It has asked NGOs and Community-based Organisations working for Transgender Persons to spread awareness about this step.
- As the country is fighting with COVID-19, members of the Transgender community have been critically affected by the pandemic majorly because of serious disruption of livelihoods.
- A Helpline number 8882133897 has launched for mental health care of Transgender Persons.
- This helpline will be functional from Monday to Saturday between 11 am to 1 pm and 3 pm to 5 pm.
- On this helpline, counselling services will be provided by professional Psychologists for their mental health.
- The Ministry has also written a letter to the Principal Secretaries of all states to ensure that there is no discrimination against Transgender persons in vaccination centers.
Supreme Court committee releases e-Courts Mobile app manual:
- Supreme Court of India’s E-Committee released a manual for its top citizen-centric service-free “e-Courts Services Mobile app” in 14 languages.
- The app is available in English, Hindi, Assamese, Bengali, Gujarathi, Kannada, Khasi, Malayalam, Marathi, Nepali, Odia, Punjabi, Tamil and Telugu.
- The “e-Courts Services Mobile app” aimed to benefit litigants, citizens, lawyers, law firms, police, government agencies and other institutional litigants has so far crossed 57 lakh downloads.
- The App which acts as a personalized digital case diary with case details available on handsset at any hour of the day and free of cost.
- The mobile app and its manuals in English and regional languages can be freely downloaded from the official website of the e-Committee, Supreme Court of India.
- Dr Justice Dhananjaya Y Chandrachud, Judge, Supreme Court of India and the Chairperson of e-Committee, fore-worded the manual and stressed the importance of this free mobile app and highlighted the reach of this citizen-centric mobile app .
Govt – Provide assistance of Rs 1500 to each Transgender person to meet basic requirements in view of COVID pandemic.
14. Which state has decided to introduce Social Security Scheme for families whose earning member has died of Corona?
C) Madhya Pradesh
D) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: A) Rajasthan
- The Gehlot Government has decided to introduce Social Security Scheme in Rajasthan for families whose earning member has died of Corona.
- The scheme also includes those children who have been orphaned in this pandemic.
CM: Ashok Gehlot
Governor: Kalraj Mishra
Ashok Gehlot – Introduce social security scheme for dependents of those who succumbed to Covid.