Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
May 13 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. India top spot in ICC Test Team ranking after annual updated. Which country ranked 2nd in the list?
a) New Zealand
d) Sri Lanka
Answer: a) New Zealand
ICC Test Team rankings after annual update:
ICC Test Team Ranking – India topped in the list.
2. BCCI announces former spinner Ramesh Power as the Indian Women’s Cricket Team Head Coach. He is replaced by whom?
a) W V Raman
b) Y V Laxman
c) K V Raghul
d) M S Bhavan
e) W S Raman
Answer: a) W V Raman
- Former spinner Ramesh Powar replaced WV Raman as the Indian women’s cricket team’s head coach, regaining the position more than two years after he was sacked following a bitter fallout with ODI captain Mithali Raj.
- The 42-year-old was recommended by the Madan Lal-led Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) after interviewing eight candidates, including Raman.
BCCI – Appoints Ramesh Powar as the Indian Women’s Cricket Team Head Coach.
3. McGregor tops Forbes highest-paid athletes list. He is related to which country?
b) South Africa
Answer: d) Ireland
Forbes’ highest-paid athletes list 2021:
|1st||McGregor (MMA Boxer)
MMA – Mixed Martial Artist
|2nd||Lionel Messi (Football)||Argentina||$130 million|
|3rd||Cristiano Ronaldo (Football)||Portugal||$120 million|
Forbes’ highest-paid athletes list 2021- McGregor topped with $ 180 million.
4. According to the Verisk Maplecroft report, how many Indian cities are listed of World’s 100 cities at greatest environmental risk?
Answer: c) 43
- Asian cities face the greatest risk from environmental issues including air pollution and natural disasters, according to a report by research firm Verisk Maplecroft.
- Of the 100 most vulnerable cities, 99 are in Asia.
- Of those, 37 are in China and 43 are in India, the world’s first and third biggest emitters of greenhouse gases respectively.
- Globally, 1.5 billion people live in 414 cities that are at high risk from pollution, water shortages, extreme heat, natural hazards and the physical impacts of climate change.
- Jakarta, the capital of Indonesia, topped the list of combined risk based on all nine factors analyzed by Verisk Maplecroft.
- India is home to 13 of the 20 riskiest cities in the world, a result of its extreme levels of air and water pollution.
- China’s flood-prone Guangzhou and Dongguan topped the list of cities facing threats from natural hazards, followed by Japan’s Osaka and Tokyo for being vulnerable to earthquakes and typhoons.
- Lima is the only city outside Asia among the top 100 most at-risk cities overall.
Verisk Maplecroft report – Asian cities face the greatest risk from environmental issues.
BANKING AND FINANCE
5. Reserve Bank of India cancels United Co-operative Bank’s licence. The bank related to which state?
a) West Bengal
Answer: a) West Bengal
- The Reserve Bank of India has cancelled the license of United Co-operative Bank Ltd of West Bengal as the bank does not have adequate capital and earning prospects.
- All the depositors of the bank will receive the full amount of their deposits from the Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC).
- The bank ceases to carry on banking business with effect from the close of business on May 13, 2021 and the process of liquidation will now begin.
- On liquidation, every depositor is entitled to receive deposit insurance claims up to Rs 5 lakh.
RBI – Cancelled license of West Bengal’s United co-operative Bank.
6. Max Bupa launches Senior First Health insurance policy. What is the maximum sum insured in this policy?
a) Rs 5 lakh
b) Rs 15 lakh
c) Rs 50 lakh
d) Rs 25 lakh
e) Rs 10 lakh
Answer: d) Rs 25 lakh
- Max Bupa health insurance launched ‘Senior First’, a tailor-made plan for providing healthcare services to senior citizens.
- The plan is available in Gold and Platinum category, with sum insured in the range of ₹5 lakh- ₹25 lakh.
- Krishnan Ramachandran, MD and CEO, Max Bupa Health Insurance said, “Currently, senior citizens face several challenges while purchasing health insurance”.
- This includes undue hassles of going through mandatory medical tests, policy denial due to chronic pre-existing conditions, high premium, inadequate coverage, high co-pay options, amongst others.”
- Senior First is a cashless product and the safeguard benefit offers 100% coverage for otherwise non-payable expenses such as PPE kit, gloves, oxygen masks, conveyance charges and more.
- The product also covers expenses incurred during all-day care treatments, requiring more than 2 hours of hospitalization, including angiography, dialysis, and radiotherapy.
- The plan also includes ‘no-claim bonus’ benefit to reward customers for staying healthy.
- Additionally, policy buyers can choose their own co-payment as per their financial health and can swap co-payments for a deductible.
Max Bupa – Launched Senior First Health Insurance Policy.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
7. According to the World Bank report, India received how much amount remittance in 2020?
a) USD 73 billion
b) USD 83 billion
c) USD 93 billion
d) USD 68 billion
e) USD 88 billion
Answer: b) USD 83 billion
- India received over USD83 billion in remittances in 2020, a drop of just 0.2 per cent from the previous year, despite a pandemic that devastated the world economy, according to a World Bank report.
- China, which received USD59.5 billion in remittances in 2020 against USD68.3 billion the previous year, is a distant second in terms of global remittances.
- India and China are followed by Mexico (USD42.8 billion), the Philippines (USD34.9 billion), Egypt (USD29.6 billion), Pakistan (USD26 billion), France (USD24.4 billion) and Bangladesh (USD21 billion).
- Remittance outflow was the maximum from the United States (USD68 billion), followed by UAE (USD43 billion), Saudi Arabia (USD34.5 billion), Switzerland (USD27.9 billion), Germany (USD22 billion), and China (USD18 billion).
- Remittances outflow from India in 2020 was USD7 billion, against USD7.5 billion in 2019, according to the World Bank.
World Bank – India received USD 83 billion remittance in 2020.
8. Who has been appointed as next ambassador of Suriname?
a) S Bhavanikumar
b) S Balaguru
c) S Balachandran
d) S Balamurugan
e) S Balakumar
Answer: c) S Balachandran
- Balachandran has been appointed as the next Ambassador of India to Suriname, the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) informed. Balachandran is currently the Consul General of India in Jaffna.
S Balachandran – Ambassador of India to Suriname.
9. Which organization awarded The Economic Times Best Workplace for Women 2021?
a) Mahindra & Mahindra
c) KONE Elevator
Answer: c) KONE Elevator
- KONE Elevator India, a leading elevator and escalator manufacturer and a wholly
owned subsidiary of Finland – based KONE Corporation, bagged the ‘ET Best Places to Work for Women 2021’ Award.
- It has also been featured in the 1st Edition of the coffee table book by The Economic Times titled “Best Workplaces for Women 2021”.
ET Best places to work for women 2021 award – KONE Elevator, India.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
10. IIT-Madras and Rice University of which country are jointly developed algorithms for lensless, miniature cameras?
Answer: a) USA
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras and Rice University, U.S., have developed algorithms for lensless, miniature cameras.
- Such lensless cameras have numerous vision applications in areas such as Augmented Reality (AR)/ Virtual Reality (VR), security, smart wearables and robotics where cost, form-factor, and weight are major constraints.
- Lensless cameras do not have a lens which, in a conventional camera, acts as a focusing element allowing the sensor to capture a sharp photograph of the scene.
- Due to the absence of this focusing element, the lensless camera captures a multiplexed or globally blurred measurement of the scene.
- The Team used Deep Learning to develop a reconstruction algorithm called ‘FlatNet’ for lensless cameras which produces photorealistic images from lensless captures, reducing the gap in photograph quality between conventional cameras & ultra-thin lensless cameras.
IIT-Madras + Rice University – Algorithms for lensless, miniature cameras.
11. Which IIT develops prototype of portable electronic cremation system?
Answer: d) IIT-Ropar
- Indian Institute of Technology, Ropar has developed a prototype of a moveable electric cremation system which claims to be using first of its kind technology that involves smokeless cremation despite using wood.
- It uses half of the wood otherwise required for the cremation and still is eco-friendly because of the technology that uses a combustion air system.
- It is based on wick-stove technology in which the wick when lighted glows yellow.
- This is converted into a smokeless blue flame with the help of a combustion air system installed over the wicks.
- IIT Professor Dr Harpreet Singh, Dean, Industrial Consultancy and Sponsored Research and Industry Interaction (ICSR&II) who has developed the system said that the cremation system or incinerator heats up at 1044 degree Celsius which ensures complete sterilization.
- The disposal of the body is completed within 12 hrs including cooling time as against 48 hours required in the normal wood-based cremation.
IIT-Ropar – Develops portable electronic cremation system.
12. The First cyclone of 2021 is ‘Tauktae’ forming over Arabian Sea. The name ‘Tauktea’ has been given by which country?
c) Sri Lanka
Answer: e) Myanmar
- The India Meteorological Department has predicted that the first cyclonic storm of the year named Tauktae could be taking shape, as a low-pressure area is very likely to form over the southeast Arabian Sea around May 14 morning.
- It is then likely to intensify gradually into a cyclonic storm over the east-central Arabian Sea around May 16, and continue to move north-northwestwards.
- Cyclone Tauktae if reaches the Indian coast, will be India’s first cyclonic storm of this year 2021.
- The name ‘Tauktae’ has been given by Myanmar meaning gecko.
- As per the forecast of the India Meteorological Department, areas like Lakshadweep, the coast of Kerala, Karnataka, Goa, and Maharashtra are likely to be impacted.
The First Cyclone of 2021 – ‘Taukte’ form over Arabian Sea.
13. Which state government announces free education for children who lost their parents or guardians to covid-19?
d) Uttar Pradesh
e) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: e) Madhya Pradesh
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan announced that children who lost their parents or guardians to COVID will be provided free education and Rs 5,000 monthly pension.
- CM said We will give Rs 5000 per month pension to children who have lost their parents/guardians in this COVID pandemic.
- We’ll also arrange free education for these children and free ration for these families.
- The chief minister also said that the state will grant loans to women, who want to work or start a business, on government guarantee.
Chief Minister- Shivraj Singh Chouhan
Governor- Anandiben Patel
Madhya Pradesh – Free education children who lost their parents or guardians.
14. Jharkhand government announced extending how much amount insurance cover for frontline covid workers?
a) Rs 25 lakh
b) Rs 30 lakh
c) Rs 50 lakh
d) Rs 75 lakh
e) Rs 40 lakh
Answer: c) Rs 50 lakh
- Battling a surge in COVID-19 cases and facing manpower crunch, the Jharkhand government announced that it was extending Rs 50 lakh insurance cover for frontline workers that include doctors, nurses and health workers.
- Chairing a high-level meeting, Chief Minister Hemant Soren said the government will also expedite payment of insurance cover to frontline coronavirus workers, dying due to the virus.
Chief Minister -Hemant Soren
Governor- Draupadi Murmu
Jharkhand – Announced Rs 50 lakh insurance cover for frontline workers.
15. Maharashtra government approved new scheme to boost oxygen production. What is name of the scheme?
a) Mission Covid
b) Mission Oxyi
c) Mission Covi
d) Mission Shakti
e) Mission Oxygen
Answer: e) Mission Oxygen
- The Maharashtra cabinet approved a proposal to make the state self- sufficient in oxygen production under which special incentives will be offered to manufacturers.
- The `Maharashtra Mission Oxygen’ aims to ensure a production of 3,000 metric tons of life-saving gas per day.
- At present the production capacity in the state is 1,300 metric tons per day while the demand is 1,800 metric tons on account of coronavirus pandemic.
- Under the scheme, incentives will be given to industrial units for producing oxygen including 150 per cent waiver in GST inMarathwada and Vidarbha and 100 percent in rest of the state.
- There will be similar waiver in stamp duty and electricity duty too.
Chief Minister- Uddhav Thackeray
Governor – Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Maharashtra – ‘Mission Oxygen’ scheme to boost oxygen production.
16. Which state Chief Minister launched ‘CG Teeka’ web portal for convenient covid vaccination registration process?
Answer: e) Chhattisgarh
- Chhattisgarh has launched CG Teeka web portal to enable the disadvantaged section of its population to register for Covid-19 vaccination programme through help desks, to be set up at hundreds of locations across the state.
- The state government said this initiative will help in “systematic” vaccination of residents in the 18-44 years age group by ensuring the state’s poor residents, lacking smart phone or internet facilities, are not left out from the Covid vaccination drive.
- The government is setting up help desks at the level of panchayats, urban bodies, and municipal corporations among other centres to help them register.
- The CoWIN web portal being used nationally to register beneficiaries of Covid vaccines, links the recipients to their mobile numbers, which needs to be entered into the system.
- Chhattisgarh chief minister Bhupesh Baghel said CG Teeka web portal does away with the requirement of a mobile number, keeping in mind the largely poor and rural population of the state.
Capital – Raipur
Chief Minister – Bhupesh Baghel
Governor- Anusuiya Uikey
Chhattisgarh – Launched CG Teeka web portal for covid vaccination program.
17. Megalab gets how much amount seed fund to develop Ayurveda-based covid vaccine?
a) 220 cr
b) 250 cr
c) 300 cr
d) 400 cr
e) 200 cr
Answer: c) 300 cr
- The IIT Alumni Council-founded Megalab has secured a Rs 300-crore seed funding and is developing a two-dose Ayurveda-based coronavirus vaccine that can stop the spread of the deadly virus and prevent infection within a few days of the first dose.
- The Mumbai-based Megalab, set up last April by the council to drive the fight against the pandemic with ideas and money, will also be importing available vaccines from the West to be distributed first in Mumbai and then elsewhere.
- Sharma said the seed funding is part of the emergency funds lying with Social Fund, the financing arm of the council and forms part of the Rs 21,000 crore fund raising announced last April in the peak of the first wave of the pandemic.
Mega lab – Rs 300 cr seed fund for developing Ayurveda-based covid vaccine.
18. Punjab Government announced how much allowance to all registered construction workers amid covid-19 crisis?
a) Rs 10000
b) Rs 5000
c) Rs 3000
d) Rs 2000
e) Rs 6000
Answer: c) Rs 3000
- The Punjab government announced delivery of free cooked food to poor coronavirus patients and a subsistence allowance of ₹3,000 to all registered construction workers amid a surge in COVID-19 cases.
- The poor and underprivileged COVID patients living in the state can call up helpline numbers 181 and 112 for delivery of free cooked meals at their doorsteps through the Punjab Police department.
- The subsistence allowance of ₹3,000 would be paid in two instalments of ₹1,500 each, the first one to be released immediately and another by June 15.
Chief Minister Captain Amarinder Singh
Governor- V. P. Singh Badnore
Punjab – Free cooked food to the poor + Rs 3000 allowance for construction workers.