Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
May 11 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. In which date National Technology Day celebrated?
a) May 12
b) May 07
c) May 08
d) May 10
Answer: e) May11
- National Technology Day is celebrated every year on May 11 to highlight the achievements of engineers and scientists in the field of technology and science.
- The day acts as a reminder of the country’s technological advancements.
National Technology Day 2021: Theme:
- The Technology Development Board (TDB) selects theme of the National Technology Day 2021 theme is “Science and Technology for a Sustainable Future”.
National Technology Day: History:
- Former Indian PM Late Atal Bihari Vajpayee coined this term to celebrate the contributions made by Indian scientists.
- It was first observed on May 11, 1999, and aims to commemorate the scientific and technological achievements of Indian scientists and engineers.
May 11 – National Technology Day- “Science and Technology for a Sustainable Future” (Theme).
2. The World Championship of boxing for Men will be held from October 26 to November 6 in which country?
a) Paris, France
b) Tokyo, Japan
c) Belgrade, Serbia
d) Rome, Italy
e) Vienna, Austria
Answer: c) Belgrade, Serbia
- The World Championship of boxing for men will be held from October 26 to November 6 in Belgrade, Serbia.
- The event was to be held in India originally but the country lost the hosting rights after failing to pay the host fee last year.
World championship of boxing men – Held in Belgrade, Serbia.
BANKING AND FINANCE
3. Jana Small Finance Bank launches ‘I Choose My Number’ feature for all its customers. Where is the headquarters of Jana Small Finance Bank?
Answer: a) Bengaluru
- Jana Small Finance Bank announced the launch of I choose my number feature for all its customers across India.
- This new feature gives the banks existing and new customers the option to select their favorite numbers as their savings or current account number.
- The allocation of the account number chosen by the customer will be subject to availability of the requested number.
- The bank’s MD and CEO, Ajay Kanwal, said: ‘This added feature will help customers relate and connect to the bank more closely as they choose auspicious or lucky numbers.’
Jana Small Finance Bank:
Headquarters – Bengaluru
Founded – 24 July 2006
MD & CEO – Ajay Kanwal
Jana Small Finance Bank – Launched I Choose My Number Feature.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
4. Twitter has donated how much amount to help address the COVID-19 crisis in India?
a) USD 10 million
b) USD 15 million
c) USD 25 million
d) USD 5 million
e) USD 12 million
Answer: b) USD 15 million
- Microblogging giant Twitter has donated USD 15 million to help address the COVID-19 crisis in India which is battling the unprecedented second wave of the deadly pandemic.
- Twitter CEO Jack Patrick Dorsey tweeted that the amount has been donated to three non-governmental organisations – Care, Aid India and Sewa International USA.
- The amount has been donated to three non-governmental organisations – Care, Aid India and Sewa International USA.
- While CARE has been given USD 10 million, Aid India and Sewa International USA have received USD 2.5 million each.
- With this, Houston-headquartered Sewa USA has so far raised USD 17.5 million towards its India COVID-19 relief efforts.
- CARE is a leading humanitarian organisation fighting global poverty.
Headquarters – San Francisco, California United States
Founded – March 21, 2006
CEO – Jack Dorsey
Twitter – Donate USD 15 million for covid-19 relief in India.
5. Which Financial Network and Google launched cross-border payments via Google Pay app?
b) Western Union
c) Catalyst Labs
d) Gyan Dhan
Answer: b) Western Union
- Western Union, a global leader in cross-border, cross-currency money movement and payments, and Google have teamed up to provide users in the U.S. with access to Western Union’s highly rated digital money movement experience via the Google Pay app.
- Commencing today, Google Pay users in the U.S. will enjoy a seamless peer-to-peer in-app experience when sending cross-border payments to family and friends through Western Union’s global financial network of bank accounts, wallets and retail locations throughout India and Singapore.
- Users may fund their transactions using a Google Payi bank account or card.
Google Pay users in the U.S. will be able to send money to their family and friends globally by year-end.
- Upon worldwide activation, they can choose to send funds to billions of bank accounts, millions of wallets and cards, as well as more than half a million retail locations in 200 countries and territories in minutes.
6. Who among the following released ‘Business Responsibility and Sustainability Report?
e) Both b & c
Answer: c) SEBI
- Regulator SEBI came out with disclosure requirements under business responsibility and sustainability reporting, covering environmental, social and governance perspectives, which will be applicable on the top 1,000 listed entities by market capitalization.
- The new report – Business Responsibility and Sustainability Report (BRSR) – will replace the existing Business Responsibility Report (BRR).
- The move is expected to bring in greater transparency and enable market participants to identify and assess sustainability-related risks and opportunities.
- Under BRSR, listed entities need to disclose about an overview of the entity’s material ESG (environmental, social and governance) risks and opportunities, approach to mitigate or adapt to the risks along with financial implications of the same.
- Environment related disclosures cover aspects such as resource usage (energy and water), air pollutant emissions, green-house (GHG) emissions, transitioning to circular economy, waste generated and waste management practices, bio-diversity.
- The BRSR will be applicable on the top 1,000 listed entities by market capitalization.
- In order to give time to companies to adapt to the new requirements, SEBI said the reporting would be on voluntary basis for financial year 2021-22 and on a mandatory basis from 2022-23.
Abbreviation – Securities Exchange Board of India
Headquarters – Mumbai, Maharashtra
Founded – 12 April 1992
Chairperson – Ajay Tyagi
SEBI- Released Business Responsibility and Sustainability Report (BRSR).
7. IBM unveils a new app to help visually impaired users maintain distance amid COVID pandemic?
a) CoviChaser app
b) DisChaser app
c) LineChaser app
d) CronaChaser app
e) DigiChaser app
Answer: c) LineChaser app
- American tech giant IBM has announced a new app dubbed LineChaser to help people with visual disabilities maintain a safe distance from others around them amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The app was presented at the ongoing ACM Chi Conference 2021, which is taking place online to ensure everyone’s safety. IBM says LineChaser detects nearby pedestrians by relying on the phone’s RGB camera and built-in infrared depth sensor that estimates their position.
- The tech giant adds that built-in sensors help the app to determine whether nearby pedestrians are standing in line, and they are further directed by audio and vibration signals to ensure a safe distance.
- The company adds the app was also able to help visually impaired users stop at “acceptable positions” 91.7 percent of the time while following a line.
- A commercial rollout could be highly useful, at a time, when everyone is advised to follow strict social distancing rules to curb the spread of the virus.
IBM – LineChaser App to help people with visual disabilities.
8. Who has been appointed as next ambassador of India to Central African Republic?
a) Ravi Kumar Verama
b) Shyam Charan Verma
c) Ram Sevak Verma
d) Ram Karan Verma
e) Ajay Singh Verma
Answer: d) Ram Karan Verma
- Ram Karan Verma has been concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of India to the Central African Republic, the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Earlier, Verma, a 1987 Indian Foreign Services (IFS) was the Ambassador of India to the Democratic Republic of Congo with residence in Kinshasa.
- He also served as the Director (Central Europe) at headquarters in the Ministry of External Affairs.
Central African Republic:
Capital – Bangui
Currency -CFA Franc
Ram Karan Verma – Ambassador of India to Central African Republic.
9. Which bank has appointed Indranil Pan as Chief Economist?
a) State Bank of India
b) Canara bank
c) ICICI Bank
d) HDFC Bank
e) Yes Bank
Answer: e) Yes Bank
- Private sector lender Yes Bank has appointed Indranil Pan as its chief economist.
- Pan joins the bank from rival IDFC First Bank.
- Pan and his team will provide strategic and policy-level inputs for the bank, based on macroeconomic developments at global and national level.
Yes Bank – Indranil Pan its Chief Economist.
10. Which agency has been conferred with ‘Green Urja Award’?
a) Aeronautical Agency
c) Industry & Technology
d) Water Development Agency
e) Land Development Agency
Answer: b) IREDA
- Indian Renewable Energy Development Agency Ltd. IREDA has been conferred with “Green Urja Award” for being the Leading Public Institution in Financing Institution for Renewable Energy this year by Indian Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
- The award was received by Shri Pradip Kumar Das, Chairman & Managing Director (CMD), IREDA from Dr. Ajay Mathur, Director General, International Solar Alliance in presence of Shri Anil Razdan, Chairman, ICC National Expert Committee on Energy in a virtual ceremony.
- The award recognises our immense contribution in development of Renewable Energy Sector in line with the Hon’ble Prime Minister’s vision of Atma Nirbhar Bharat.
- IREDA has ended the year 2020-21 ended on a strong note and disbursed the second highest (from the date of inception) amount of loan amounting to Rs. 8827 crore, which indicates that IREDA has the ability to translate this problem into an opportunity.
- IREDA under the administrative control of Ministry of New & Renewable Energy (MNRE) is the only dedicated institution for financing Renewable Energy (RE) & Energy Efficiency (EE) projects in India.
- Since, its inception the company has played a catalytic role in developing market for financing RE & EE projects. IREDA has over the years sanctioned loans aggregating to Rs. 96,601 crores, disbursed Rs. 63,492 cores and supported more than 17,586 MW of RE capacity in the country till date.
IREDA – Conferred ‘Green Urja Award’.
11. Japan launches first joint military drill with which of the following countries?
d) Both a & b
e) Both a & c
Answer: d) Both a & b
- Japanese, US and French troops kicked off their first-ever joint military drill in southwestern Japan, as concerns rise over China’s growing assertiveness in the region.
- An Australian naval ship is also taking part in the week-long air, land and sea exercises involving 300 ground troops from the three countries.
- It comes as Tokyo looks to deepen defence ties beyond its key US ally and with eyes on Beijing’s moves in the East and South China seas.
- The drills, which include fighter jet and amphibious operation exercises, will be held in the Kyushu region and at sea with virus countermeasures.
- A Japanese submarine and 10 surface ships — six Japanese, two French, one American and one Australian — will be used, a French naval official told AFP.
- China claims the majority of the South China Sea, invoking its so-called nine-dash line to justify what it says are historic rights to the key trade waterway.
Capital – Tokyo
Currency – Japanese yen
Prime Ministe r- Yoshihide Suga
Japan + US + France – First joint military drill in southwestern, Japan.
12. Finance Ministry and which bank will organise a seminar on the importance of ‘Social Infrastructure Financing and use of Digital Technologies’?
a) World Bank
Answer: b) NDB
- The Finance Ministry and New Development Bank (NDB) will organise a seminar on the importance of ‘Social Infrastructure Financing and use of Digital Technologies’.
- The seminar, as part of the economic and financial cooperation agenda under the Indian BRICS chairship 2021, is being organised in the run-up to the 13th BRICS Summit to be held later 2021.
- ”The challenges faced, are common to all, especially to the BRICS nations.
- There is a great potential in building sustainable mechanism to chart the way forward and share the common benefits associated with social, economic and digital development”.
- This seminar, to be held on May 13, will engage high-level participants from both the public and private sector and focus on the key issues surrounding social infrastructure financing and the use of Digital Technologies in the 21st century.
- The inaugural address will be made by Economic Affairs Secretary Ajay Seth, followed by Marcos Troyjo, president NDB.
- Headquartered in Shanghai, China, NDB was operationalised in 2015 and has so far approved 18 projects in India worth USD 6,924 million.
Abbreviation – New Development Bank
Headquarters – Shanghai, China
Founder – BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa)
Founded – 15July 2014
President – Marcos Prado Troyjo
Finance Min. + NDB – Organize seminar on ‘Social Infrastructure Financing and use of Digital Technologies’.
13. Which ministry and Indian Academy of Pediatrics Partner to provide expert care at Child Care Institutions?
a) Health Ministry
b) Women & Child Development Ministry
c) Home Ministry
d) Education Ministry
e) Finance Ministry
Answer: b) Women & Child Development Ministry
- Union Minister of Women and Child Development, Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani has said that with a view to providing expert care to children residing at Govt.
- Child Care Institutions (CCI) across the country, Ministry of Women and Child Development is engaging with the Indian Academy of Pediatrics.
- In a series of tweets, she informed, “this will be in addition to medical care provided to children under the scheme for Child Protection Services”.
Ministry of Women & Child Development & Textile:
Minister – Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani
Constituency – Amethi, Uttar Pradesh
WCD ministry + Indian Academy of Pediatrics – To provide expert care of Child Care Institutions (CCI).
14. Which State/UT police launches ‘Mission Hausla’ to help covid-19 patients get oxygen, beds, Plasma?
a) Madhya Pradesh
e) Jammu & Kashmir
Answer: c) Uttarakhand
- The Uttarakhand Police has launched a drive called “Mission Hausla” to help people get oxygen, beds and plasma for COVID-19 patients.
- Besides this, the police are also helping the public in getting ration, ambulance, cremation of bodies as part of the mission, said Director General of Police Ashok Kumar.
- U’Khand started this mission on May 1 and it has completed 10 days.
- So far we have received 4 thousand 365 calls in 10 days, we received 649 calls in the state alone.
- Ashok Kumar also informed that they have two toll-free numbers in all the districts of the state – 112 and 9411112701 – these two numbers are available for emergency contact.
Capitals – Dehradun (Winter), Gairsain (Summer)
Chief Minister – Tirath Singh Rawat
Governor – Baby Rani Maurya
Uttarakhand police – Launches ‘Mission Hausla’ to help covid-19 patients.
15. Government allocated how much amount for development of horticultutre sector during 2021-22?
a) Rs 2250 cr
b) Rs 2750 cr
c) Rs 1275 cr
d) Rs 1500 cr
e) Rs 1670 cr
Answer: a) Rs 2250 cr
- Role of the horticulture sector in increasing farmer’s income, the Government of India has allocated Rs. 2250 Crore for development of horticulture sector during 2021-22 for ‘Mission for Integrated Development of Horticulture (MIDH), a centrally sponsored scheme.
- The Ministry is implementing MIDH with effect from 2014-15, for realizing the potential of the horticulture sector covering fruits, vegetables, root and tuber crops, mushrooms, spices, flowers, aromatic plants, coconut, cashew and cocoa.
- The allocation is significantly higher than the previous year allocation.
- This allocation has been communicated to the States/UTs for preparing Annual Action Plans.
- MIDH has played a significant role in increasing the area under horticulture crops.
- Area and production during the years 2014 – 15 to 2019 – 20 has increased by 9% and 14% respectively.
Govt. – Allocated Rs. 2250 Crore for development of horticulture sector during 2021-22.
16. Puducherry is the_____ State/UT to provide assured tap water supply to every rural home under JJM by 2024?
Answer: c) 4th
- Puducherry has achieved the target of 100% piped water connection in rural areas under the Jal Jeevan Mission (JJM), the Jal Shakti ministry.
- Punjab, Dadra and Nagar Haveli, and Daman and Diu too have crossed the milestone of covering 75% of rural homes with assured tap water supply.
- Puducherry has become ‘Har Ghar Jal’ UT by ensuring that every rural home in the Union Territory gets a household tap connection.
- With this, the Union Territory became the fourth State/UT after Goa, Telangana and Andaman and Nicobar Islands to provide assured tap water supply to every rural home under the Centre’s flagship programme by 2024.
Capital – Puducherry
Chief Minister – N Rangaswamy
Governor – Tamilisai Soundararajan
Puducherry – Achieve 100% tap water connection in rural areas under JJM.
17. Which state launched announces free ambulance service for covid-19 patients?
b) Uttar Pradesh
e) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: c) Rajasthan
- The Rajasthan government has decided to provide free ambulance service to Covid-19 patients for their admission in hospitals and for ferrying them to dedicated facilities in case of referrals.
- Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot directed officials to ensure the availability of sufficient number of ambulances at all district level war rooms as well as Covid consultation and care centers set up at block level in the state.
- “Ambulance service will be provided for the admission of Covid patients and for referring them to Covid dedicated hospitals.”
- This ambulance facility will be completely free for patients.
- It said the services of 108 and 104 ambulances available in districts will be used for the purpose, and respective district collectors can also acquire private ambulances.
Capital – Jaipur
Chief Minister – Ashok Gehlot
Governor – Kalraj Mishra
Rajasthan – Free ambulance service across the state.