Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
May 1 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. In which date International Workers Day celebrated?
a) April 30
b) May 1
c) May 2
d) April 29
e) September 2
Answer: b) May 1
- International Labour Day is celebrated annually on 1st May to honour the achievements and efforts of ok workers around the world and raise awareness against exploitation.
Also known as May Day, this day is celebrated all around the world.
History of May Day:
- In the year 1889, the Marxist International Socialist Congress demanded that no workers should be made to work for more than 8 hours a day.
- After this, May Day becomes an annual event and is celebrated throughout the world.
- Earlier this demand, workers had to work for 15 hours a day, against which they raised their voices in 1886 to work for only 8 hours a day along with paid leaves.
- In India, this day was first celebrated in 1923 in Chennai by Labour Kisan Party of Hindustan.
- Then the communist leader Malayapuram Singaravelu Chettiar requested the government to announce this day as a national holiday to mark and honour the efforts of every worker.
- In India, May Day is also known as Kamgar Divas, Kamgar Din and Antrarashtriya Shramik Divas.
Theme of International Labour Day 2021:
- Every year, a new theme is set for International Labor Day, but for 2021 there has been no new theme.
- In 2020 theme which was “maintaining safety and security at the workplace”
Gujarat, Maharashtra on Statehood Day May 01:
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi extended his wishes to the people of Gujarat and Maharashtra on the foundation day of the two states and said that both states are home to outstanding people, who have made landmark contributions to national growth.
- Maharashtra Governor Bhagat Singh Koshyari unfurled the National Flag on the occasion of the 61st anniversary of the formation of the State of Maharashtra at Raj Bhavan in Mumbai.
- On May 1, 1960, the former state of Bombay was divided on a linguistic basis and states of Maharashtra and Gujarat was formed.
May 1 – International Workers Day.
May 1- Statehood Day of Gujarat, Maharashtra.
2. Hockey legend Yash Pal Vohra passes away. He was related to which state?
Answer: e) Punjab
- Rajasthan Royals’ opener Manan Vohra’s grandfather Yash Pal Vohra, a former hockey player of Punjab, succumbed to Covid-19, at the age of 92.
- A contemporary of hockey legends such as late Balbir Singh Senior, Dharam Singh and Bakshish Singh, Yash Pal Vohra had played for Punjab during the 1950s and 1960s.
- He had also made it to the 24-member Indian hockey probables list for the 1956 Olympics but had missed the cut due to an injury.
- After he quit playing, Vohra became an administrator and worked for the promotion of the sport.
- He was the founder secretary general of Chandigarh Olympic Association (COA) and served the unit for 25 years.
- He had also been the secretary of Hockey Chandigarh for several years.
- He successfully ran the Rock Rovers Hockey Club and looked after the sport for decades.
- He was also a first-class hockey umpire.
Yash Pal Vohra – Former hockey player of Punjab.
BANKING AND FINANCE
3. How much gross GST revenue collected in the Month of April, 2021?
a) Rs 131,284 crore
b) Rs 140,884 crore
c) Rs 132,484 crore
d) Rs. 141,384 crore
e) Rs 151,384 crore
Answer- d) Rs. 141,384 crore
- The gross GST revenue collected in the month of April 2021 set a new record of Rs. 1,41,384 crore.
- The GST collections remained above the Rs 1-lakh-crore mark for the seventh month in a row in April, the finance ministry said.
- Of the Rs. 1.41 lakh crore collection, CGST is Rs. 27,837 crore, SGST is Rs. 35,621, IGST is Rs 68,481 crore (including Rs. 29,599 crore collected on import of goods) and Cess is Rs. 9,445 crore (including Rs. 981 crore collected on import of goods).
- GST revenues over past six months, the revenues for the month of April 2021 are 14% higher than the GST revenues in the month of March’2021.
- The revenues from domestic transactions (including import of services) are 21% higher than the revenues from these sources during March.
- During the month of April, the government settled Rs. 29,185 crore to CGST and Rs. 22,756 crore to SGST from IGST as regular settlement.
BHIM UPI transactions come down slightly to Rs 4.94 trillion in April:
- The digital transactions through BHIM UPI in April this year fell by 2.2 per cent from March.
- The digital transactions through BHIM UPI in April this year fell by 2.2 per cent from a month ago to Rs 4.94 lakh crore, data from the NPCI.
- There were transactions worth Rs 5.05 lakh crore in March 2021.
- The total number of transactions stood at 2.64 billion during the month, down by 3.3 per cent from 2.73 billion in March.
- The National Payments Corporation of India (NPCI) is an umbrella body of all retail payments system in the country.
GST revenues in April- Rs. 141,384 crore.
4. What is the interest rate on Senior Citizen Savings Scheme?
Answer: d) 7.4%
- On March 31, 2021, the government announced interest rate cuts for these schemes.
- However, the decision was withdrawn later in the day meaning the rates on such schemes till July 31 will continue to remain as they were during the January-March quarter.
- “Interest rates of small savings schemes of GoI shall continue to be at the rates which existed in the last quarter of 2020-2021, ie, rates that prevailed as of March 2021.
- Orders issued by oversight shall be withdrawn,” finance minister Nirmala Sitharaman had said in a Twitter update.
- This is the fourth consecutive quarter the government has maintained the rates on such schemes.
|Senior Citizen Savings Scheme||7.4%|
|5-Year Recurring deposits||5.8%|
|One-year to Three-year deposits||5.5%|
|Five-year time deposits||6.7%|
|Post office savings deposits||4%|
|Sukanya Samriddhi Account||7.6%|
|Kisan Vikas Patra||6.9%|
Small Savings Scheme Rates unchanged – Till July 2021.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
5. How much amount Boeing announces package to help India fight covid-19?
a) $ 5 million
b) $ 20 million
c) $ 30 million
d) $ 10 million
e) $ 15 million
Answer: d) $ 10 million
- The assistance from Boeing will be directed to organisations providing relief, including medical supplies and emergency healthcare for communities and families battling Covid-19.
- The Boeing team in India totals 3,000 employees, in addition to valued local customers, suppliers, and business partners.
- Boeing is a global citizen, and in India we are directing our pandemic response to the communities most impacted by this recent surge of cases,” said Dave Calhoun, president and chief executive officer of The Boeing Company.
- Boeing will partner with local and international relief organisations to deploy the $10 million to the areas of greatest need in consultation with medical, government and public health experts.
Boeing – India to fight Covid-19 – $ 10 million.
6. Who among the following awarded ‘Fame Times International Excellence’ Award?
a) Soman Roy
b) Madhav Roy
c) Sohan Roy
d) Mohan Roy
e) Raman Roy
Answer: c) Sohan Roy
- Frame Times International Excellence Awards is one of the biggest international platforms that recognize business leaders who have created a benchmark for themselves and others in their respective fields.
- Dr. Sohan Roy, a Global Entrepreneur and Founder Chairman and CEO of Sharjah-based Aries Group, was honored with the 2021 Fame Times International Excellence Award (FTIEA) – ‘Best Visionary Entrepreneur of the Year.’
- The award ceremony was organized in the Maldives on April 24, 2021.
- An industry leader, Dr. Roy is one of the most influential figures in the Middle East and a Forbes-listed entrepreneur who has also proved his capabilities as a poet, director, filmmaker, film songwriter, and screenwriter.
- He is the owner of business ventures spanning over 16 countries catering to maritime, entertainment, 3D technology, IT, media, multiplexes, healthcare, and tourism industries.
- He is a recipient of a Professional Doctorate from the European International University of Paris and a well-known expatriate Malayalee.
- He has won international organizations such as the Global Malayalee Federation and the World Leadership Congress.
- He has also been bestowed with Pravasi Express ‘Malayali Ratna’, National Achievers Award, Gothjode Lifetime Achievement Award, Saraswati Vidyalaya’s Inspiring Icon Award, Vayalar Pravasi Sahitya Award, Lalithambika Antharjanam Foundation Award.
‘Fame Times International Excellence’ Award – Sohan Roy.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
7. Indian Army inaugurates first green solar energy harnessing plant in Sikkim partnered with which IIT?
Answer: a) IIT-Mumbai
- Indian Army in its quest for harnessing renewable energy for its troops inaugurated the First Green Solar Energy harnessing plant of 56 KVA using Vanadium based battery technology in North Sikkim, at an altitude of 16000 ft.
- Public Relation Officer (Defence) Guwahati, P Khongsai stated that the project was completed in collaboration with IIT Mumbai.
- A team of eminent faculty from the Institute led by Prof Prakash Ghosh and troops of the Indian Army completed the project braving extreme climatic conditions.
- The project will immensely benefit troops in the forward areas and will be environment friendly.
IIT-Mumbai + Indian Army – First green solar energy harnessing plant, Sikkim.
8. What is the length of World’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge opens in Portugal?
a) 600 meters
b) 416 meters
c) 516 meters
d) 556 meters
e) 475 meters
Answer: c) 516 meters
- Hugo Xavier became one of the first people to cross the world’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge near his tiny hometown of Arouca in northern Portugal.
- The bridge measures 516 meters (1,692 feet) long and is suspended 175 meters (574 feet) above a river.
- It’s named the 516 Arouca bridge because it is located in the town of Arouca.
- The bridge hangs on steel cables strung between V-shaped concrete towers and connects the banks of the Paiva River.
- It takes supposedly a short 10 minutes to cross, but we venture a guess that it will seem much longer as passengers may fear for their lives.
- The record-breaking bridge took several years to build and was designed by Portuguese studio Itecons.
- It was constructed by Conduril and cost about $2.8 million (2.3 million euros).
- Indeed, 516 Arouca has earned its spot in the record books, overtaking Switzerland’s 494-meter (1,621-feet) Charles Kuonen Suspension Bridge as the world’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge.
- The longest such structure in the U.S., by contrast, is the Gatlinburg SkyBridge in Tennessee, which stretches 680 feet across a valley in the Great Smoky Mountains and has a transparent glass floor at its highest point.
Portugal- World’s longest pedestrian suspension bridge – 516 meters.
9. Centre releases 1st installment of how much amount under SDRF to states for the year 2021-22?
a) 7773.6 crore
b) 8873.6 crore
c) 8073.6 crore
d) 7873.6 crore
e) 9883.6 crore
Answer: b) 8873.6 crore
- The finance ministry has fast-tracked the release of Rs 8,873 crore to the State Disaster Relief Fund (SDRF).
- Up to 50% of the SDRF amount, or Rs 4,437 crore, can be used by the states for Covid-19 containment measures.
- These include the cost of oxygen generation and storage plants in hospitals, ventilators, air purifiers, strengthening ambulance services, Covid-19 hospitals, Covid care centres, thermal scanners, personal protective equipment, testing laboratories, testing kits, and maintaining containment zones.
- The advance release of 1st instalment of central share towards SDRF has been released as a special dispensation on the recommendations of the home ministry.
- Normally, the first instalment of SDRF is released in the month of June as per the recommendations of the Finance Commission.
Finance Ministry – 1st installment 8873.6 crore under SDRF to states for the year 2021-22.
10. Government set target of road construction in how much amount in next 2 years?
a) Rs 10 lakh crore
b) Rs 15 lakh crore
c) Rs 20 lakh crore
d) Rs 50 lakh crore
e) Rs 5 lakh crore
Answer: b) Rs 15 lakh crore
- Road Transport and Highways Minister Nitin Gadkari said government has set a target of road construction of worth 15 lakh crore rupees in next two years.
- Addressing the Indo-U.S. Partnership Vision Summit through video conferencing, Mr Gadkari exuded confidence that the Ministry will achieve target of 40 kilometres per day of highways construction in current fiscal.
- He said that Government is permitting 100 percent FDI in road sector.
- The Minister added that in India, projects like National Infrastructure pipeline for 2019-2025 is the first of its kind and government is committed to provide world class infra to its citizens and improving quality of their lives.
- He said that under the NIP, there are over 7,300 projects to be implemented at a total outlay of 111 lakh crore rupees by 2025.
- Mr Gadkari said that in the new era of bilateral relations, the national interests of India and the US are converging.
- There is growing confidence between both the administrations that all outstanding trade issues will be resolved and major trade agreements will be signed soon.
- The Minister invited the US companies to invest in infrastructure and MSME sectors in India.
Nitin Gadkari – Road construction of worth 15 lakh crore rupees in next two years.
11. Who among the following launched Operation Samudra Setu?
a) Indian Army
c) Indian Navy
e) Home Ministry
Answer: c) Indian Navy
- Indian Navy has launched Operation Samudra Setu-II to augment the ongoing national mission for meeting the Oxygen requirements.
- Mission deployed Indian Naval warships will undertake shipment of liquid Oxygen filled cryogenic containers and associated medical equipment in support of nation’s fight against COVID-19.
- Two ships INS Kolkata and INS Talwar have entered port of Manama, Bahrain for embarking and transporting 40MT of liquid oxygen to Mumbai.
- INS Jalashwa is enroute to Bangkok and INS Airavat to Singapore for similar missions.
- In 2020, Indian Navy had launched Operation Samudra Setu as part of the Vande Bharat Mission and repatriated approx 4000 (3992) stranded and distressed Indian citizens from Maldives, Sri Lanka and Iran.
“Operation Samudra Setu” – National mission for meeting the Oxygen requirements.
12. Which government launches portal for donations in form of medical equipments funds to fight Covid?
c) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: a) Delhi
- The Delhi government launched a portal through which people from around the world can donate funds or medical equipments to strengthen its fight against the raging Covid-19 pandemic.
- Anyone interested in contributing to Delhi’s fight against Covid-19 can do so by providing equipments or funds through the website – delhifightscorona.in/donate, an official statement said.
- “Indian citizen and the diaspora have always been at the forefront of helping governments deal with calamities in the country.
- We request you to provide as much support as you can,” the statement quoting Chief Minister Arvind Kejriwal said.
- Delhi government is looking to get urgent support for a range of equipments such as oxygen concentrators, cylinders and other such things, through the initiative, said Jasmine Shah, vice chairperson of Dialogue and Development Commission (DDC) of Delhi.
- The DDC has been coordinating with donors and well-wishers who want to support the Delhi government’s Covid-19 response.
- “They are playing the role of ‘Corona Heroes’. Over 5,000 oxygen concentrators and 36 oxygen PSA plants have already been committed by donors and will arrive in Delhi soon,” Shah said.
Delhi – Portal for donations for medical equipments funds to fight Covid.