Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
January 27 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. International Customs Day is observed on which date?
A) January 24
B) January 28
C) January 26
D) January 12
E) January 20
Answer: C) January 26
- The Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (CBIC) January 26 observed the International Customs Day, 2021.
- The theme for this year as given by World Customs Organisation (WCO) is “Customs bolstering Recovery, Renewal and Resilience for a sustainable supply chain”.
- The main programme was held at the Ministry of Finance, North Block and organised through virtual mode which was attended by Chairman CBIC, Sh. M Ajit Kumar, Members of the Board, senior officers and all field formations and Directorates under CBIC.
- The programme commenced with the reading out of message of Union Minister for Finance and Corporate Affairs Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman appreciating that there has been a paradigm shift in the working of Indian Customs as focus shifted to Ease of Doing Business and Trade Facilitation.
- The Finance Minister added that adopting a people centric approach would further augment the transformative process of Customs functioning.
- The WCO Certificate of Merit was awarded to eight officers present in Delhi at the programme in North Block and rest of the officers were awarded by their head of the Department at respective locations virtually observed by all the attendees.
- Ms. Ranjana Jha, Principal Chief Commissioner of Customs, Delhi Zone presented the vote of thanks.
- The following officers received the WCO Certificate of Merit for the year 2021.
1. Sh. Gaurav Singh, Deputy Secretary, Tax Research Unit-I, CBIC.
2. Sh. R. Gopalsamy, Additional Commissioner, Customs, Chennai Zone.
3. Sh. Samaya Murali, Additional Commissioner, Customs, Chennai Zone.
4. Smt. Priyadarshika Srivastava, Joint Commissioner, Customs, Mumbai Zone-I.
5. Sh. Vinit Kumar, Deputy Director, NACIN, Faridabad.
6. Sh. Aditya Singh Yadav, Deputy Commissioner, Customs, Delhi Zone.
7. Sh. Manudev Jain, Deputy Commissioner, Directorate of International Customs.
8. Sh. Nikhil Goyal, Officer on Special Duty, Tax Research Unit-I, CBIC.
9. Dr. Vikram Singh, Deputy Commissioner, NCTF.
10. Sh. S.A. Ansari, Under Secretary, AD-II, CBIC.
11. Dr. Mahesh Kumar, Chemical Examiner, Grade-l, CRCL, Vadodara.
12. Sh. Neeraj Babu Jain, Assistant Director, DGHRD, New Delhi.
13. Sh. Rajesh Kaushal, Superintendent, Customs, Ludhiana.
14. Sh. Jitender Maindoliya, Superintendent, WCO Cell, New Delhi.
15. Sh. Gagandeep Singh, Superintendent, Single Window, New Delhi.
16. Sh. Rajendra Prasad Samariya, Appraiser, Customs (PreventivE) , Jodhpur.
17. Sh. Ashish Malik, Inspector, DGHRD, New Delhi.
International Customs Day – January 26.
2. Alija Merdeeva is related to which sports?
B) Table Tennis
Answer: A) Tennis
- Alija Merdeeva was found guilty of two counts of match-fixing. Sofia Dmitrieva was found guilty on six counts of match-fixing.
- They are banned for life time.
Sofia Dmitrieva + Alija Merdeeva – Ban for life for match-fixing.
3. Jamal Uddin Ahmed passed away. He was related to which field?
Answer: B) Politician
- In a setback to the Congress ahead of the Assam assembly elections 2021, the party’s legislator from Badarpur in Karimganj district of the state, Jamal Uddin Ahmed, died.
- Ahmed had won thrice from the Badarpur seat–first in 2001 on a Trinamool Congress ticket and in 2011 and 2016 as a Congress candidate.
Jamal Uddin Ahmed – Congress Party – Assam.
4. According to a report by Brand Finance, which Company is topped in the list of most-valued IT services brand globally?
Answer: A) Accenture
BANKING AND FINANCE
5. Pine Labs launched payment app named __________ will help shopkeepers accept all forms of digital transactions directly through an Android phone enabled with Near Field Communication technology?
A) All Pine app
B) All Pay app
C) All Swipe app
D) All Tap app
E) All Card app
Answer: D) All Tap app
Headquarters: Noida, Uttar Pradesh
CEO: Amrish Rau
Pine Labs – All Tap app for contactless payments.
6. Which Insurance company unveils Krishi Sakha App to empower farmers with apt information and protection solutions?
A) ICICI Lombard General Insurance
B) Liberty General Insurance
C) SBI General Insurance
D) Apollo Munich Health Insurance
E) Bharti AXA General Insurance
Answer: E) Bharti AXA General Insurance
- Leading private non-life insurer Bharti AXA General Insurance announced the launch of its new app ‘Krishi Sakha’ to cater to the specific needs of the farmers in the country and guide them in adopting best farming practices and enhancing productivity.
- Bharti AXA ‘Krishi Sakha’ aims at helping Indian farmers make informed decisions through customized information related to their farming requirements.
- It shares relevant information about the scientific way of farming, crop cultivation, sowing, or harvesting of major crops.
- The novel farmer-friendly app is a one-stop-shop for all crop insurance-related requirements and offers the farmers a variety of innovative and tailored solutions along with curated crop advisories by experts to help them protect their invaluable crops and increase the overall farming productivity. It guides the farmers about weather forecasting, market and crop prices and government schemes related to insurance and agriculture.
Bharti AXA General Insurance:
Hq : Mumbai, Maharashtra
CEO : Sanjeev Srinivasan
Bharti AXA General Insurance – Krishi Sakha App – Empower farmers with apt information and protection solutions.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
7. According to Ministry of Commerce & Industry, The total FDI inflows in April-November 2020 period rose to how many % year-on-year to $58.37 billion?
Answer: B) 22
- The total Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) inflows in April-November 2020 period rose to 22% year-on-year to $58.37 billion, the highest-ever for first 8 months of a financial year, Ministry of Commerce & Industry said.
- The FDI inflows for the first 8 months of 2019-20 stood at $ 47.67 billion.
- Total FDI equity inflows in April-November 2020 rises 37% (YoY) to $43.85 billion. It is also the highest ever for the first 8 months of a financial year and 37% more compared to the first 8 months of 2019-20 ($ 32.11 billion).
Government – FDI inflows in Apr-Nov 2020 rise 22% to $58.37 bn.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
8. Maharashtra Karnataka Simawad: Sangharsh Ani Sankalp is authored by whom?
A) Ramesh Pawar
B) Pranash Pawar
C) Rajesh Pawar
D) Deepak Pawar
E) Ravi Pawar
Answer: D) Deepak Pawar
- Maharashtra government’s officer on special duty Deepak Pawar has edited the Marathi book titled Maharashtra Karnataka Simawad: Sangharsh Ani Sankalp (Maharashtra-Karnataka Border Dispute: Struggle and Resolve).
- Maharashtra Karnataka Simawad: Sangharsh Ani Sankalp (Maharashtra-Karnataka Border Dispute: Struggle and Resolve) – Deepak Pawar.
9. ACC has approved the appointment of Swaminathan Janakiraman as Managing Director of which Bank?
C) Indian Bank
D) Indian Overseas Bank
E) Bank of Maharashtra
Answer: A) SBI
- The Appointments Committee of the Cabinet (ACC) has approved the appointment of Swaminathan Janakiraman as Managing Director of State Bank of India, the country’s largest commercial bank.
- Janakiraman, who is currently Deputy Managing Director, has been appointed as MD for three years.
- ACC has also approved the appointment of Ashwini Kumar Tewari, Deputy Managing Director, as Managing Director of SBI for three years.
State Bank of India:
Capita : Mumbai, Maharashtra
Head: Dinesh Kumar Khara
Tagline: With You all the way, Pure Banking Nothing Else, The Nation Bank on Us, The Banker to Every Indian, A Bank of the Common Man
Cabinet committee – Appointment of Swaminathan Janakiraman, Ashwini Kumar Tewari as MDs at SBI.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
10. Students of Sri Shakti Institute of Engineering and Technology collaborate with ISRO developed a satellite named ‘SriShaktiSat’ at a cost of how much amount?
A) Rs 1.5 crore
B) Rs 2.5 crore
C) Rs 3.5 crore
D) Rs 4.5 crore
E) Rs 5.5 crore
Answer: B) Rs 2.5 crore
Abbreviation: Indian Space Research Organisation
Headquarters : Bengaluru, Karnataka
Chairman : Kailasavadivoo Sivan
Sri Shakti Institute of Engineering and Technology + ISRO – Satellite named ‘SriShaktiSat’ at a cost of Rs 2.5 crore
11. India has announced a pledge of how much amount to activities of the Peacebuilding Fund in 2021?
A) USD 120,000
B) USD 130,000
C) USD 140,000
D) USD 150,000
E) USD 160,000
Answer: D) USD 150,000
- India has announced a pledge of USD 150,000 to activities of the Peacebuilding Fund this year.
- 2021 provides the international community with an opportunity to look at peacebuilding in a more focused manner, especially in the context of the COVID pandemic.
- In 2020, the Peacebuilding Fund mobilised over USD 180 million, which Guterres said is an important sign of the trust the fund has garnered over the years and its demonstrated ability to deliver in the most difficult contexts.
The Peacebuilding Fund:
- The Peacebuilding Fund is the UN’s financial instrument of first resort to sustain peace in countries or situations at risk or affected by violent conflict.
- The Fund’s 2020-2024 strategy is its most ambitious yet, responding to the Secretary-General’s call for a quantum leap of support for peacebuilding and prevention.
- The Fund has invested over USD 1.2 billion to date in over 60 countries, with support from almost 60 member states.
- At the close of the conference, the co-chairs issued a Joint Communique stating that the General Assembly would convene a High-Level meeting on financing peace during its 76th session.
India – Pledge of USD 150,000 to UN peacebuilding in 2021.
12. India and which country signed a memorandum of understanding to design, make, and launch a satellite tv for pc fabricated by college students from each international location?
Answer: B) Bangladesh
- Indo-Bangladesh signal MoU on joint pupil satellite tv for pc.
- The Indian aspect was represented by the Chennai-based Space Kidz India (SKI), a personal group, which focusses on encouraging college students to check science, expertise, engineering, and arithmetic, particularly house science. The Bangladesh aspect was represented by Global Law Thinkers Society, a world youth group.
- The mission celebrates 50 years of Indo-Bangladesh friendship, and the 100 start anniversary of Sheikh Mujibur Rahman, the founding father of Bangladesh.
Currency: Bangladeshi Taka
President: Mohammad Abdul Hamid
Prime Minister: Sheikh Hasina
India + Bangladesh = Joint pupil satellite tv for pc.
13. Ministry of Finance has released an amount of Rs. 12,351.5 crore rupees to how many states for providing grants to the Rural Local Bodies?
Answer: E) 18
- Ministry of Finance has released an amount of 12,351.5 crore rupees to 18 states for providing grants to the Rural Local Bodies. This is the 2nd instalment of basic grants released in the financial year 2020-21.
- The grant has been released to 18 states who have provided the Utilisation Certificate for the first instalment and on the recommendation of the Panchayati Raj Ministry.
- The grants to RLBs are released as per the recommendations of the 15th Finance Commission to create community assets and improve financial viability of the RLBs.
- The grants are provided to all the three tiers of Panchayati Raj – Village, Block and District to enable pooling of resources across villages and blocks.
- The 15th Finance Commission has recommended two types of grants to the RLBs – basic and tied grants.
- Basic grants can be used by the local bodies for location specific felt needs except for salary or other establishment expenditure.
- The tied grants are to be used for the basic services of sanitation and maintenance of Open Defecation Free status and supply of drinking water, rain water harvesting and water recycling.
Finance and Corporate Affairs:
Minister: Nirmala Sitharaman
Constituency: Rajya Sabha MP, Karnataka
Ministry of Finance – Rs 12,351.5 cr to states for providing grants to Rural Local Bodies.
14. Tami Nadu Chief minister K Palaniswami inaugurated A phoenix-themed memorial for late Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa at the Marina. It laid the foundation stone for the memorial in which year?
Answer: E) 2018
- A phoenix-themed memorial for late Tamil Nadu Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa was inaugurated at the Marina by chief minister K Palaniswami, three years after he laid its foundation stone along with his deputy O Panneerselvam.
- Amount: 79 crore.
- Palaniswami and Panneerselvam in May 2018 had jointly laid the foundation stone for the memorial adjacent to that of party founder and late chief minister
M G Ramachandran located on the Marina Beach at Kamarajar Salai.
- Huge crowd of supporters thronged the Kamarajar Salai to witness the inauguration of the memorial.
Capital : Chennai
CM : Edappadi K. Palaniswami
Governor : Banwarilal Purohit
Jayalalithaa memorial – Inaugurate in Tamil Nadu; State Govt earmarked Rs 50 crore for the construction.
15. The Tamil Nadu government will roll out the ambitious BharatNet project called ______ by November?
Answer: A) TamilNet
- The Tamil Nadu government will roll out the ambitious BharatNet project called TamilNet by November to link over 17,000 villages through high-speed broadband connectivity.
- This will open up tremendous opportunities in rural areas, said State IT Secretary Hans Raj Verma.
- Three-day FinTERACT 2020 conference envisages to attract FinTech start-ups and collaborations for the FinBlue – a Center of Excellence in Financial Technology – with global FinTech hubs from the UK, Singapore and Europe.
Capital : Chennai
CM: Edappadi K. Palaniswami
Governor: Banwarilal Purohit
Tamil Nadu – Roll out BharatNet project by November.
16. Uddhav Thackeray launched a ‘jail tourism’ initiative of the state government from Yerawada jail in a move to help students learn about historical experiences. Yerawada jail is related to which place in Maharashtra?
Answer: D) Pune
- Maharashtra Chief Minister Uddhav Thackeray launched a ‘jail tourism’ initiative of the state government from Pune’s Yerawada prison, in a move to help students learn about historical experiences.
- The initiative was launched on January 26 via video conferencing.
- Yerawada jail is 150-years-old where several freedom fighters, including Mahatma Gandhi, Lokmanya Tilak, Pandit Jawaharlal Nehru, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, Sarojini Naidu and Subhas Chandra Bose had been imprisoned under the British rule.
- The ‘jail tourism’ was started to make students aware of the history.
- This initiative will be started in the coming days at several other prisons in Thane, Nashik, Dhule and Ratnagiri.
- Students and researchers will also get an opportunity to get information about historical events that took place in various jails through this unique initiative.
CM: Udhav Thackarey
Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Maharashtra – ‘Jail tourism’ initiative from Pune’s Yerawada jail.
17. India’s First “Gender Park’ is come up with in which State?
A) Uttar Pradesh
B) Andhra Pradesh
D) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: E) Kerala
- The Kerala government’s ₹300 crore three tower “Gender Park’, claimed to be the first of its kind in the country and working towards gender equality in the state.
- The launch will coincide with the second edition of the International Conference on Gender Equality (ICGE-II).
- Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan will inaugurate the February 11-13 IGCE-II and the Gender Park.
- On the opening day, he will also lay the foundation of the International Womens Trade and Research Centre (IWTRC) that envisages a secure and sustained ecosystem for women entrepreneurs and a space for them to market their products.
- A Gender Museum, Gender Library, Convention Centre and an Amphitheatre will also be launched at the event.
- CGE-II will explore measures to boost the economic potential of women and transgenders to equip them as sustainable entrepreneurs.
- With ‘Gender in Sustainable Entrepreneurship and Social Business: The Mediating Role of Empowerment’ as the focal theme, the event at the Park’s campus is being organised in association with UN Women,which is part of the United Nations.
- The Gender Museum will feature various social struggles that led to shifts in the status of women, their achievements and turning points, including those during the Renaissance movement.
- The Gender Library envisages the creation of public awareness on gender and its role in development.
- The state-of-the-art Convention Centre will have a capacity to seat more than 500 people. The Amphitheatre is set against a lush green backdrop.
CM: Pinarayi Vijayan
Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
Kerala – ₹300 crore three tower “Gender Park”.
18. ‘Adivasi Mela’ is celebrated in which state?
B) Andhra Pradesh
D) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: A) Odisha
- The 15-day annual tribal fair or ‘Adivasi Mela’ commenced on Tuesday at Bhubaneswar’s Adivasi Exhibition Ground.
- The fair will remain open for the public from 11 am to 7 pm every day till February 9.
- The Adivasi Mela exhibits lifestyle, artifacts, handlooms and handicrafts of the tribal of the Odisha under one roof.
Chief Minister: Naveen Patnaik
Governor: Ganeshi Lal
Bhubaneswar, Odisha – Annual ‘Adivasi Mela’.