Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.,
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
January 07 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. Satya Paul passed away. He was related to which field?
D) Fashion Designer
Answer: D) Fashion Designer
- Ace fashion designer Satya Paul, known for giving the Indian saree a contemporary touch, has passed away.
- In 1980, he launched the first ‘saree boutique’ in India, L’Affaire, and founded the eponymous fashion clothing brand with his son in 1986.
Satya Paul – Ace fashion designer.
2. Alan Burgess passed away. He was related to which sports?
Answer: A) Cricket
- The world’s oldest living first-class cricketer Alan Burgess has passed away at the age of 100, the New Zealand Cricket (NZC) announced.
- A right-hand batsman and slow left-arm bowler, Alan appeared in 11 first-class matches for Canterbury from 1940/41 to 1951/52 and also for New Zealand Services in England in 1945.
- He took 6-52 on debut against Otago at Lancaster Park in a match that began on Christmas Day 1940.
Alan Burgess – Oldest living first-class cricketer
BANKING AND FINANCE
3. Which Bank partners with NABFOUNDATION to provide loans to self-help groups?
A) State Bank of India
B) Central Bank of India
C) Bank of Baroda
D) Indian Bank
E) Indian Overseas Bank
Answer: B) Central Bank of India
- Central Bank of India (CBoI) and NABFOUNDATION entered into a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU), whereby working capital will be provided by the bank to all self-help groups (SHGs) which have an account with it and undertake the Nabard-sponsored ‘My Pad My Right’ project.
- Under the project, one pad making machine will be sponsored per district across the country to a well-functioning SHG, along with the requisite capacity building support, with total grant support pegged at nearly ₹5 lakh per unit.
- The project would see Nabard providing a total support of nearly ₹50 crore over the next three years.
Central Bank of India:
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD & CEO: Pallav Mohapatra
Tagline: Central to you since 1911
Central Bank of India + NABFOUNDATION = Provide loans to self-help groups.
4. State Bank of India (SBI) and IndianOil (IOCL) launch a Co-branded Contactless RuPay Debit card. Under this card, Pay with a tap (contactless carD) for a single transaction of up-to how much amount?
A) Rs. 3000/-
B) Rs. 2000/-
C) Rs. 4000/-
D) Rs. 5000/-
E) Rs. 6000/-
Answer: D) Rs. 5000/-
- State Bank of India (SBI) and Indian Oil Corporation Limited (IOCL) announced the launch of co-branded contactless Rupay debit card.
- The features of the card are:
- 6X Reward Points for every Rs. 200/- spent at IndianOil fuel stations.
- Fuel benefits – Cardholder earns loyalty points worth 0.75% against purchase of fuel at IndianOil fuel stations.
- Pay with a tap (contactless carD) for a single transaction of upto Rs. 5000/-.
- Earn Reward Points on spends on dining, movies, grocery and utility bills.
- Redeem Reward Points for dining, movies, grocery and paying utility bills.
- No monthly limit for purchasing fuel.
- SBI-IndianOil Co-branded RuPay Debit Card can be issued anywhere in India.
- Apply for card by visiting SBI’s home branch.
State Bank of India:
Capital : Mumbai, Maharashtra
Head : Dinesh Kumar Khara
Tagline : With You all the way, Pure Banking Nothing Else, The Nation Bank on Us, The Banker to Every Indian, A Bank of the Common Man.
Abbreviation: Indian Oil Corporation Limited
Headquarters: New Delhi, Delhi
Chairperson: Shrikant Madhav Vaidya
State Bank of India (SBI) + IndianOil (IOCL) = Launch a Co-branded Contactless RuPay Debit card.
5. Indian-American Dr Raj Iyer has appointed as the first Chief Information Officer of which country Army?
Answer: B) USA
Capital: Washington D.C
Currency: US Dollar
President: Joe Biden
Raj Iyer – US Army’s first Chief Information Officer.
6. Justice Hima Kohli has become the first woman Chief Justice of which state High Court?
B) Tamil Nadu
D) Madhya Pradesh
E) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: A) Telangana
Justice Hima Kohli:
- Justice Hima Kohli was sworn in as the new chief justice of Telangana high court
Justice Kohli, who till recently served as a senior judge of the Delhi high court, was elevated as the chief justice of Telangana.
- She replaces justice Raghavendra Singh Chauhan, who has been transferred to Uttarakhand high court.
Justice RS Chauhan:
- Justice RS Chauhan was administered oath as the new Chief Justice of the Uttarakhand High Court.
- Before his appointment, he was the Chief Justice of the Telangana High Court.
- Before Justice RS Chauhan, Justice Ramesh Ranganathan was the chief justice of Uttarakhand HC.
- Justice Hima Kohli – First woman Chief Justice of Telangana High Court.
7. Dr Shailla Cannie has been selected for the prestigious National Florence Nightingale Award 2020. She is Principal of which Nursing Institute?
A) Shri Mata Vaishno Devi College of Nursing
B) KIIT University
C) Indira Gandhi Institute of Medical Sciences
D) Acharya Institute of Health Sciences
E) Vardhman Mahavir Medical College
Answer: A) Shri Mata Vaishno Devi College of Nursing
- In Jammu and Kashmir, Dr Shailla Cannie, Principal, Shri Mata Vaishno Devi College of Nursing, has been selected for the prestigious National Florence Nightingale Award 2020, to be conferred by President of India.
- Dr. Shailla for being selected for the prestigious award. Pertinently, the National Florence Nightingale Award is given to outstanding nursing personnel employed in Central, State/UTs, Private, Missionary and Voluntary Organizations.
National Florence Nightingale Award 2020:
- It is the highest national distinction awarded to nurses or nursing aides, which consists of a cash amount of Rs 50,000, a certificate and a medal.
Dr Shailla Cannie – Principal, Shri Mata Vaishno Devi College of Nursing – National Florence Nightingale Award 2020.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
8. Which IIT has developed a drone fleet which can provide portable and air-borne 5G communication network?
A) IIT Madras
B) IIT Hyderabad
C) IIT Kanpur
D) IIT Kharagpur
E) IIT Mandi
Answer: D) IIT Kharagpur
- A team of researchers from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT) at Kharagpur in West Bengal has developed a drone fleet which can provide portable and air-borne 5G communication network.
- The UAVs could serve as air-borne mobile telecom towers during emergencies such as natural disasters when land-based communication networks are damaged by earthquake and floods.
- The system includes an Android-based application fitted to a fleet of drones which are programmed to create emergency communication networks by extending cellular network coverage from the closest available mobile towers.
IIT Kharagpur – Develop air-borne mobile telecom tower for emergencies.
9. Iran successfully tested long-range unmanned “suicide” aircraft. What is the range of this Aircraft?
A) 3,000 kilometers
B) 2,000 kilometers
C) 1,000 kilometers
D) 4,000 kilometers
E) 5,000 kilometers
Answer: D) 4,000 kilometers
- Iran successfully tested long-range unmanned “suicide” aircraft during its first major drone exercises this week, amid a tense stand-off with the US.
- The drones, also known as loitering munitions, were flown for 1,400 kilometers
(870 miles) near the Gulf of Oman.
- They have a range of 4,000 kilometers
President: Hassan Rouhani
Iran – Successfully test ‘suicide’ drones amid tense stand-off with US.
10. Pakistan successfully conducted the test-flight of an indigenously developed Guided Multi Launch Rocket System. What is the name of that system?
A) Fatah-1 weapon system
B) Fatah-5 weapon system
C) Fatah-4 weapon system
D) Fatah-3 weapon system
E) Fatah-2 weapon system
Answer: A) Fatah-1 weapon system
- Pakistan successfully conducted the test-flight of an indigenously developed Guided Multi Launch Rocket System, capable of delivering conventional warheads, with a maximum range of 140 km.
Capital : Islamabad
Currency : Rupee
President: Arif Alvi
Prime Minister: Imran Khan
Pakistan – Test fire indigenously developed weapons rocket system.
11. Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off the world’s first double stack long-haul container train on how many KM long Rewari-Madar section of the Western Dedicated Freight Corridor (WDFC)?
A) 206 km
B) 306 km
C) 106 km
D) 506 km
E) 406 km
Answer: B) 306 km
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi flagged off the world’s first double stack long-haul container train on the 306km-long Rewari-Madar section of the Western Dedicated Freight Corridor (WDFC) .
- Apart from this, PM Modi also flagged off the world’s first Double Stack Long Haul Container Train that is 1.5 kilometre long, between New Ateli and New Kishangarh.
- The Dedicated Freight Corridor Corporation of India is presently constructing the Western DFC (1506 km) and Eastern DFC (1875 km).
- The EDFC starting from Sahnewal near Ludhiana (PunjaB) will pass through Punjab, Haryana, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar and Jharkhand to terminate at Dankuni in West Bengal.
- The Western Corridor connecting Dadri in Uttar Pradesh to Jawaharlal Nehru Port (JNPT) in Mumbai will cover Uttar Pradesh, Haryana, Rajasthan, Gujarat and Maharashtra of WDFC.
- It is expected that the speed of freight trains will be increased to a maximum speed of 100 km per hour as against the current maximum speed of 75 kmph on Indian railway tracks.
- The average speed of freight trains will also be increased from the existing speed of 26 kmph on Indian railway lines to 70 kmph on DFCs.
- On 29 December 2020, the 351 kilometre long New Bhaupur- New Khurja section of the Eastern Dedicated Freight Corridor was dedicated by the Prime Minister to the nation.
Prime Minister, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Department of Atomic Energy, Department of Space and All-important policy issues and All other portfolios not allocated to any Minister
Minister: Narendra Modi
Constituency: Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
Narendra Modi – Inaugurate Rewari-Madar DFC section & flags off world’s 1st Double Stack Long Haul 1.5 km Container Train
12. The government has cleared how many hydropower projects of 144 MW on the Indus river and its tributaries in Ladakh?
Answer: B) 8
- The Government has cleared eight hydropower projects of 144 MW on the Indus river and its tributaries in Ladakh.
- There are several small projects, with a collective capacity of 113 MW on Indus in Ladakh, and the new projects will have much more capacity than those constructed so far.
Hydropower Projects – Leh
Durbuk Shyok (19 MW)
Shankoo (18.5 MW)
Nimu Chilling (24 MW)
Rongdo (12 MW)
Ratan Nag (10.5 MW)
Hydropower Projects –Kargil
Mangdum Sangra (19 MW)
Kargil Hunderman (25 MW)
Tamasha (12 MW)
Capital: Leh, Kargil
Lt Governor: Radha Krishna Mathur
Government – Clear 8 hydropower projects on Indus river in Ladakh.
13. Khelo India Ice Hockey Tournament held in which state/UT?
B) Jammu & Kashmir
Answer: A) Ladakh
- In Kargil Ladakh, Khelo India Ice Hockey Tournament is being organized at Chiktan by Zonal Physical Education Officer Chiktan.
- For the first time the women team of Chiktan also participated in the Khelo India Games in Kargil district.
- There are 13 teams from different villages of Chiktan participating in the tournament, which include 11 men’s teams and 2 women’s teams.
Capital: Leh, Kargil
Lt Governor: Radha Krishna Mathur
Chiktan, Kargil – Khelo India Ice Hockey tournament.
14. Which state becomes 3rd State in country to successfully undertake Dept. of Expenditure stipulated ULB reform?
D) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: A) Telangana
- Telangana has become the 3rd State in the country to successfully undertake Urban Local Bodies, ULB reform stipulated by the Department of Expenditure, Ministry of Finance.
- The State has become eligible to mobilize additional financial resources of Rs 2,508 crore through Open Market Borrowings.
- Telangana has now joined the two other States Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh, who have completed this reform.
- On completion of urban local bodies reform, these three States have been granted additional borrowing permission of Rs 7,406 crore.
- So far 10 States have implemented the One Nation One Ration Card System, 7 States have done ease of doing business reforms and 3 States have done local body reforms.
Total additional borrowing permission issued so far to the States who have done the reforms stands at Rs 54,190 crore.
CM: K. Chandrashekar Rao
Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
Telangana – 3rd State Undertake Dept. of Expenditure stipulated ULB reform.
15. Which state/UT has launched Mobile Application ‘Satark Nagrik’ to facilitate seamless flow of information about corruption and enable citizens to submit their grievances with ease and mobility?
B) Jammu & Kashmir
Answer: B) Jammu & Kashmir
- In Jammu and Kashmir, LG, Manoj Sinha today launched Mobile Application ‘Satark Nagrik’ and Departmental Vigilance Officers Portal of J&K Anti-Corruption Bureau at Civil Secretariat, Jammu.
- The mobile application launched today has been developed with a purpose to facilitate seamless flow of information about corruption and enable citizens to submit their grievances with ease and mobility.
- The Departmental Vigilance Officers (DVO) Portal has been designed to enable an online communication channel with the DVOs of various departments and the portal will help in quick disposal of complaints and will help to redress grievances in a systematic manner by enabling monitoring of the status of DVO matters and Citizens Grievances assigned to DVOs at ACB Central Office.
Jammu and Kashmir:
Capital: Srinagar(summer), Jammu(winter)
Governor: Manoj Sinha
Jammu & Kashmir – Mobile Application ‘Satark Nagrik’ and Departmental Vigilance Officers Portal