Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
February 26 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. R Vinay Kumar is related to which sports?
Answer: E) Cricket
R Vinay Kumar announces retirement from 1st-class and international cricket:
- Veteran Karnataka medium pacer R Vinay Kumar, who also represented India and led his state team to successive Ranji Trophy titles announced his retirement from international and first-class cricket.
- In a statement, the 37-year-old seasoned campaigner said he has been lucky to play alongside the likes of Sachin Tendulkar, Mahendra Singh Dhoni and Virat Kohli in his career.
- Kumar played one Test, 31 ODIs and 9 T 20 Internationals for India.
All-rounder Yusuf Pathan announces retirement from all forms of cricket:
- Out-of-favour India all-rounder Yusuf Pathan announced retirement from all forms of cricket.
- The 38-year-old Pathan was part of the inaugural T20 World Cup-winning side in 2007 and also the one that triumphed in the 2011 ODI World Cup at home.
- Pathan, elder brother of former India seamer Irfan, played 57 ODIs and scored 810 runs at a strike-rate of 113.60 with two hundreds and three fifties.
- He also featured in 22 T20Is where he made 236 at a strike-rate of 146.58 and was also a part of Kolkata Knight Riders’ triumphs in the Indian Premier League. He last played for India in 2012.
R Vinay Kumar – Announce retirement from 1st-class and international cricket.
2. Pakistan batsman Umar Akmal’s 18 month-ban for failing to report corrupt approaches has been reduced to how many month by the Court of Arbitration for Sport?
Answer: E) 12
Pakistan batsman Umar Akmal – 18 month-ban eases to one year.
3. Which edition of Khelo India Winter Games begins at Gulmarg?
Answer: D) 2
- In the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir, the second edition of Khelo India Winter Games begins at Gulmarg.
- The five-day event will see the participation of athletes from across the country.
- Meanwhile, Minister of State for Youth Affairs and Sports Kiren Rijiju reached Srinagar a day ahead of the start of Winter National Games which will officially kick-start from 26-02-2021 in Ski resort of Gulmarg in north Kashmir’s Baramulla district.
- The mega event is scheduled to be virtually inaugurated by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi.
- The sports activities will include snow shoe race, ice-skating, ice-hockey, skiing, Nordic ski, snowboarding, ski mountaineering, ice stock.
- The event is being organised by the Union Ministry of Youth Affairs and Sports in collaboration with the J&K Sports Council and the Winter Games Association of Jammu and Kashmir.
Gulmarg – 2nd edition of Khelo India Winter Games.
4. D Pandian passed away. He was related to which field?
Answer: E) Politician
- Veteran Communist Party of India (CPI) leader, D Pandian, 88 died in Chennai.
- The two-time former MP and Tamil Nadu state secretary of CPI.
- Pandian was the editor of Jana Sakthi, a Tamil daily of the CPI.
- He was elected to the Lok Sabha from the north Chennai constituency in 1989 and 1991 representing the CPI.
Papua New Guinea’s Michael Somare, ‘father of the nation’, dies:
- Papua New Guinea’s first prime minister, Michael Somare, has died.
- Known as the “father of the nation”, Somare led the Pacific archipelago to independence from Australia in 1975 and served four times as prime minister.
- He had been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer in early February, his daughter, Betha Somare, said in a statement. She said many Papua New Guineans had embraced her father as their own “father and grandfather”.
- Prior to independence, Somare was the chief minister of the Australian-administered territory of Papua New Guinea.
- He most recently served as the country’s leader briefly in 2011.
D Pandian – Veteran CPI leader.
BANKING AND FINANCE
5. IRDAI has come out with a standard personal accident cover which the general and standalone health insurers have to mandatorily offer from which year?
A) April 1
B) March 31
C) February 28
D) October 31
E) December 31
Answer: A) April 1
- The insurance regulator has come out with a standard personal accident cover, which the general and standalone health insurers have to mandatorily offer from April 1 this year.
- The product, named Saral Suraksha Bima, will have a maximum sum assured of Rs 1 crore and minimum Rs 2.5 lakh.
- The product will have a basic cover under which the entire sum assured will be paid by the insurance company on the death of the insured person due to an injury sustained in an accident, provided the death occurs within 12 months from the date of the accident.
- There will also be an optional cover, under which if the insured person sustains an injury in an accident that renders them incapable from engaging in any employment, then they will be eligible for a compensation at the rate of 0.2 per cent of the base sum insured per week, till the time they are able to return to work.
- Moreover, hospitalisaiton expenses will be indemnified up to the limit of 10 per cent of base sum insured.
- Also, a one-time educational grant of 10 per cent of the base sum insured will be payable to all dependent children of the insured, provided they are pursuing an educational course and are not above the age of 25.
Abbreviation: The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority of India
Act: The Insurance Regulatory and Development Authority Act, 1999
Headquarters: Hyderabad, Telangana
Chairman: Subhash Chandra Khuntia
IRDAI – Standard personal accident cover, maximum Rs 1 cr assured.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY
6. According to RBI Report, Inflation target band of 2-6% appropriate for next how many years?
Answer: A) 5
- India’s medium-term inflation target of 4 per cent is appropriate for the country under its the central bank’s flexible inflation targeting (FIT) mandate, an internal report from the Reserve Bank of India said.
- Trend inflation to which actual inflation converges after a shock provides an appropriate benchmark for the inflation target; trend inflation has fallen from above 9 per cent before FIT to a range of 3.8 per cent-4.3 per cent during FIT.
- India adopted the flexible inflation targeting framework in 2016 and the government is due to review the same in the near future.
- The current numerical framework for defining price stability, i.e., an inflation target of 4 per cent with a +/-2 per cent tolerance band, is appropriate for the next five years.
Reserve Bank of India:
Act: Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
Governor– Shaktikanta Das
Deputy Governors– 4 (Bibhu Prasad Kanungo, Mahesh Kumar Jain, Michael Debabrata Patra, M. Rajeshwar Rao)
RBI report – Inflation target band of 2-6% appropriate for next 5 years.
7. Nasscom FutureSkills Prime in partnership with which company and the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has launched a virtual internship program focusing on cybersecurity in India?
A) Varuna Ltd
Answer: D) Cisco
- Nasscom FutureSkills Prime, in partnership with Cisco and the All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has launched a virtual internship program focusing on cybersecurity in India.
- This collaboration between the industry and the government will help build a pool of skilled talent for the future.
- This is the first time AICTE has launched an internship online.
Nasscom + Cisco + AICTE – Offer virtual internships in cybersecurity.
8. Disha Patani is appointed as the brand ambassador of Diamond jewellery retailer Orra. She was related to which field?
Answer: D) Actress
Actress Disha Patani – Brand ambassador for diamond jewellery player Orra.
9. Who is appointed as managing director and chief executive officer of Dredging Corporation of India Limited?
A) George Yesu Vedha Victor
B) George Yesu Vedha Mohan
C) George Yesu Vedha John
D) George Yesu Vedha Sathish
E) George Yesu Vedha Anand
Answer: A) George Yesu Vedha Victor
- State-owned Dredging Corporation of India Limited said it has appointed George Yesu Vedha Victor as its managing director and chief executive officer with effect from
- He will succeed Rajesh Tripathi, who has been relieved from the services from February 26, 2021, on attaining the age of superannuation, DCI said in BSE filing.
George Victor – MD, CEO of Dredging Corporation – succeed Rajesh Tripathi.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
10. Maruti Suzuki has partners with which IIM to nurture 26 start-ups in mobility sector?
A) IIM Chennai
B) IIM Varanasi
C) IIM Mandi
D) IIM Kanpur
E) IIM Bangalore
Answer: E) IIM Bangalore
- The country’s largest carmaker Maruti Suzuki India along with the Indian Institute of Management Bangalore (IIMB) will nurture 26 start-ups in the mobility sector.
- The company, in partnership with Nadathur S Raghavan Centre for Entrepreneurial Learning (NSRCEL), the startup hub at IIMB, has shortlisted 26 mobility startups for a 9-month extensive incubation program.
Maruti Suzuki + IIM Bangalore – Nurture 26 start-ups in mobility sector.
11. Which organisation inks pact with MOL for transportation of LPG through inland waterways?
Answer: C) IWAI
- A Memorandum of Understanding was signed between the Inland Waterways Authority of India and the MOL (Asia Oceania) Limited for transportation of Liquefied Natural Gas through barges on National Waterways-1 and National Waterways-2.
- The MoU was inked in the presence of Minister for Ports, Shipping and Waterways Mansukh Mandaviya.
- The Inland Waterways Authority will provide support for, facilitating with adequate fairway, handling of LPG cargo on IWAI terminals or Multimodal Terminals at Haldia, Sahibganj and Varanasi.
- MOL Group is the world’s largest gas carrier company and will invest for construction and operation of dedicated LPG barges under Make-in-India initiative.
IWAI + MOL – Transportation of LPG through inland waterways.
12. Which state has launched Parivarthanam to deliver seafood to the consumers’ doorstep and set up a dedicated portal?
B) Madhya Pradesh
C) Arunachal Pradesh
D) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: E) Kerala
- Public sector Kerala State Coastal Area Development Corporation has launched Parivarthanam, to deliver seafood to the consumers’ doorstep, and set up a dedicated portal.
- The initiative has been launched with a view to improving the socio-economic conditions of coastal communities by forging closer links with industry and enhancing the livelihood skills of the youth along the coastline.
CM: Pinarayi Vijayan
Governor: Arif Mohammed Khan
Kerala – Launch online fish delivery portal.
13. Gujarat launched mobile application named ______ to live telecast proceedings of the upcoming state Budget session and cut down on the usage of paper by 80 per cent?
A) ‘Gujarat Annual Financial Statement’
B) ‘Gujarat budget’
C) ‘Gujarat Money’
D) ‘Gujarat Wings’
E) ‘Gujarat Paper’
Answer: B) ‘Gujarat budget’
- The state government launched a ‘Gujarat budget’ mobile application to live telecast proceedings of the upcoming state Budget session and cut down on the usage of paper by 80 per cent.
- The mobile application, developed by the finance department, will help citizens see the live proceedings of the state Budget.
- A lot of requests used to come to us for telecasting live proceedings of the state legislature.
- We are starting off with the Budget.
- The mobile application is expected to reduce the quantum of paper being used for publishing different documents related to the budget.
- Patel said the budget proposals for 2020-21 saw 73 different publications being printed and distributed among MLAs and others.
CM: Vijay Rupani
Governor: Acharya Dev Vrat
Gujarat – Mobile app to telecast live proceedings of Budget session.
14. Who participated virtually in the First G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors (FMCBG) meeting under the Italian Presidency?
A) Rajkumar Singh
B) Amit Shah
C) Ramnath Kovind
D) Narendra Modi
E) Nirmala Sitharaman
Answer: E) Nirmala Sitharaman
- Union Minister for Finance & Corporate Affairs Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman participated virtually in the First G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors (FMCBG) meeting under the Italian Presidency here to discuss policy actions for transformative and equitable recovery along with other issues on the agenda including global economic outlook, financial sector issues, financial inclusion and sustainable finance.
- Smt. Sitharaman spoke about India’s policy response to the pandemic.
- The Finance Minister said that India’s domestic policies have been based broadly on supporting citizens through measures such as credit guarantees, direct transfers, food guarantees, economic stimulus packages and accelerating structural reform.
- Smt. Sitharaman also spoke about India’s vaccination programme, which is the world’s largest and the most ambitious vaccination drive.
- The Finance Minister also mentioned that India has extended vaccine support to several countries.
- During this meeting, G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors also discussed the implications of climate change on global growth and financial stability.
- Speaking on the Presidency’s proposal to undertake systematic policy dialogue on climate risk and environment taxation, Smt. Sitharaman suggested that these conversations should remain within the ambit of Paris Agreement and should be based on the principles of common but differentiated responsibility, respective capability, and the voluntary nature of the commitments.
- The Finance Minister also stressed the importance of transfer of green technologies and scaling up of climate finance.
Finance and Corporate Affairs:
Minister: Nirmala Sitharaman
Constituency: Rajya Sabha MP, Karnataka
Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman – Virtual G20 Finance Ministers and Central Bank Governors Meeting.
15. Who inaugurates Saras Aajeevika Mela 2021?
A) Rajkumar Singh
B) Amit Shah
C) Ramnath Kovind
D) Narendra Singh Tomar
E) Nirmala Sitharaman
Answer: D) Narendra Singh Tomar
- Union Minister for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare, Rural Development, Panchayati Raj and Food Processing Shri Narendra Singh Tomar inaugurated Saras Aajeevika Mela 2021 at Noida Haat.
- Union Minister of State for Agriculture and Farmers Welfare Shri Kailash Choudhary was also present on the occasion.
- Addressing the gathering Shri Tomar said that the Ministry of Rural Development is working to include more women in Self Help Groups (SHGs).
- He said these SHGs played a vital role in increasing family income and improving quality of life.
- Speaking about PM’s call for self-reliant India, Shri Tomar said Atmanirbharta can’t be achieved only by Government’s schemes and efforts.
- People’s participation is a must and SHGs can play a major role to achieve this goal.
- He urged the empowered SHGs to come forward and help other SHGs to become Atmanirbhar.
- The Saras Aajeevika Mela 2021 is being organized from 26th February to 14th March 2021 by the Ministry of Rural Development.
- More than 300 rural self-help groups and craftsman from 27 states are participating in the Mela.
- Around 150 stalls and 15 food stalls serving regional cuisines have been set up and more than 60 cultural performances will be performed.
- During the Mela, workshops on product packaging and design, communication skills, social media publicity and Business 2 Business marketing will be organised to educate the rural self-help groups and craftsman.
- The Mela will remain open from 11 AM to 8 PM daily.
- Dr G. Narendra Kumar, DG, National Institute of Rural Development and Panchayati Raj, Smt. Alka Upadhyay, Additional Secretary, Ministry of Rural Development, Shri Charanjit Singh, Joint Secretary, Ministry of Rural Development were also present on the occasion.
Narendra Singh Tomar – Saras Aajeevika Mela 2021.