Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
February 11 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Table of Contents
1. International Day of Women and Girls in Science is observed on which date?
A) February 12
B) February 13
C) February 14
D) February 15
E) February 11
Answer: E) February 11
- The International Day of Women and Girls in Science is observed annually by the United Nations and other organisations to encourage the involvement of girls and women into the field of Science and laud the efforts put in by women associated with STEM subjects.
- The UN General Assembly decided on 22 December, 2015 that an annual observance was needed to recognize the critical role women and girls play in science and technology.
Since then, this day has been utilised to promote “full and equal access to and participation in science for women and girls”.
- This year will mark the sixth International Day of Women and Girls in Science Assembly. The assembly in 2021 will be organised by the Royal Academy of Science International Trust (RASIT), along with the Permanent Missions of several countries to the United Nations, the African Union, the International Telecommunication Union (ITU), the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) and the World Intellectuals Property Organization (WIPO).
- According to the United Nations, the theme for the International Day of Women and Girls in Science 2021 is ‘Women Scientists at the forefront of the fight against COVID-19 ’.
World Unani Day:
- World Unani Day is a global event celebrated on February 11 to spread awareness about health care delivery through Unani system of medicine through its preventive and curative philosophy. It is the birthday of the great Unani scholar and social reformer “Hakim Ajmal Khan”.
- The objective of celebrating the event is to pay tribute to Hakim Ajmal Khan for his contribution in the sustained development of the Unani system of medicine in the country and world across.
- Unani system of medicine is a science of life, a system of healthcare and medicine that aims to assist people in living a healthy life.
- First Unani Day was celebrated at Central Research Institute of Unani Medicine (CRIUM), Hyderabad in 2017. During that event, the celebration included CCRUM (Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine) Awards distribution ceremony and a two-day National Seminar on Skin Diseases and cosmetology in Unani Medicine at that time.
2. Siddhesh Choudhari is related to which sports?
Answer: E) Athlete
- City’s Siddhesh Choudhari achieved his personal best of 53.91 seconds to clinch gold, his first national medal, at the 400 metre hurdles in the under-18 category at the 36th National Junior Athletics Championships that concluded at Guwahati.
- The second place was achieved by Nashik’s Swyam Badhe (53.94seconds).
- Ankit from Rajasthan settled for the bronze with 54.06 seconds.
- Rujula Bhonsle bagged the best emerging player trophy at the meet for winning the 60 metre gold with making a national record.
- Bhonsle claimed the gold with timing of 7.96 seconds.
- Haryana grabbed top spot with 21 gold, 20 silver and 14 bronze medals.
- The second and third place was bagged by Tamil Nadu (13 gold, 12 silver, 12 bronze) and Uttar Pradesh (13 gold, 8 silver, 14 bronze) medals.
- Siddhesh Choudhari – Gold medal in 400m hurdles in 36th National Junior Athletic Championship
BANKING AND FINANCE
3. The RBI has put restrictions on withdrawals from Independence Co-operative Bank Limited. Independence Co-operative Bank Limited is situated in which state?
B) Tamil Nadu
C) Uttar Pradesh
D) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: E) Maharashtra
- The RBI has put restrictions on withdrawals from Independence Co-operative Bank Limited, Nashik because of the lender’s present liquidity position.
- 99.89 per cent of the depositors are fully covered by the Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC) insurance scheme.
- As per the insurance scheme, every depositor in a bank is entitled to receive deposit insurance claim amount of his/her deposits up to Rs 5 lakh from the DICGC.
- The restrictions will remain in force for a period of six months.
Reserve Bank of India:
Act: Reserve Bank of India Act, 1934
Headquarters– Mumbai, Maharashtra
Governor– Shaktikanta Das
Deputy Governors– 4 (Bibhu Prasad Kanungo, Mahesh Kumar Jain, Michael Debabrata Patra, M. Rajeshwar Rao)
RBI – Restrict withdrawals from Independence Co-operative Bank, Nashik.
4. New Development Bank has committed to invest how much amount in
NIIF Fund of Funds (FoF)?
A) USD 200 million
B) USD 300 million
C) USD 400 million
D) USD 500 million
E) USD 100 million
Answer: E) USD 100 million
- National Investment and Infrastructure Fund (NIIF) said that Shanghai-based New Development Bank has committed to invest USD 100 million (around Rs 728 crore) in NIIF Fund of Funds (FoF).
- With NDB’s investment, the FoF has secured USD 800 million in commitments.
- NDB joins the Government of India (GoI), Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) and Asian Development Bank (ADB) as an investor in the FoF, it added.
- Set up as a Category II Alternative Investment Fund (AIF) in 2015, the NIIF currently manages three funds with distinct strategies — Master Fund, Fund of Funds and Strategic Opportunities Fund.
- The FoF was established in 2018 with the objective of providing homegrown Indian private equity fund managers access to an India-focused institutional investor that operates at scale.
- Through the FoF, NIIF aims to support private equity fund managers that have demonstrated a strong track record of delivering returns to investors.
- The FoF also provides an opportunity for global institutional investors to build a portfolio of growth-focused funds in India and selectively co-invest into a wide range of investment opportunities.
- The FoF invests in a variety of sectors, including green energy, social infrastructure, mid-income and affordable housing, consumer services, financial services, technology and others.
- The FoF has made commitments to four funds aggregating over Rs 2,750 crores (around USD 370 million equivalent).
New Development Bank:
Hq: Shanghai, China
Head: Marcos Troyjo
Abbreviation : National Investment and Infrastructure Fund
Founded: February 2015
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
CEO: Sujoy Bose
NDB – Commit USD 100 million to NIIF Fund of Funds (FoF).
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
5. “Mapping Love” is authored by Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari. She was also related to which field?
D) Film Maker
Answer: D) Film Maker
- Filmmaker Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari has turned author with her debut fiction novel, titled “Mapping Love”.
- The 41-year-old director’s book will be published by Rupa Publications in May this year.
- Iyer Tiwari, known for acclaimed films like ‘Nil Battey Sannata’, ‘Bareilly Ki Barfi’ and ‘Panga.
Mapping Love – Ashwiny Iyer Tiwari – Published by Rupa Publications.
6. Who will take over as the chief executive officer (CEO) of ArcelorMittal?
A) Aditya Mittal
B) Satish Mittal
C) Arun Mittal
D) Aravind Mittal
E) Avinash Mittal
Answer: A) Aditya Mittal
- Aditya Mittal will take over as the chief executive officer (CEO) of ArcelorMittal from Lakshmi Mittal.
- Lakshmi Mittal, 70, will continue to lead the board of directors and work together with the CEO and management team.
Founded: June 2006
CEO : Aditya Mittal
Aditya Mittal – ArcelorMittal CEO.
7. Suzanne Clark is appointed as First Female CEO of Chamber of Commerce of which country replaces Thomas J. Donohue?
Answer: D) USA
- The U.S. Chamber of Commerce has appointed Suzanne Clark as its next CEO, the first woman to hold the position.
- Clark, who’s currently president of the U.S. Chamber, will succeed Thomas J. Donohue.
Suzanne Clark – first female CEO of US Chamber of Commerce –
Thomas J. Donohue(Replaced).
8. Manasa Varanasi emerged as the winner of VLCC Femina Miss India World 2020. She was related to which State?
C) Madhya Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: E) Telangana
- Manasa Varanasi, an engineer from Telangana emerged as the winner of VLCC Femina Miss India World 2020.
- While Haryana’s Manika Sheokand was declared VLCC Femina Miss Grand India 2020, Uttar Pradesh’s Manya Singh was crowned VLCC Femina Miss India 2020 – runner-up.
- The jury panel comprised actors Neha Dhupia, Chitrangada Singh, Pulkit Samrat and renowned designer duo Falguni and Shane Peacock.
- VLCC Femina Miss India 2020 was co-powered by Sephora and Roposo.
Telangana’s Manasa Varanasi – VLCC Femina Miss India World 2020.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
9. PURE EV is set to launch its first electric motorcycle, ETRYST 350. PURE EV is an incubated startup of which IIT?
A) IIT Bhubaneswar
B) IIT Mandi
C) IIT Bombay
D) IIT Hyderabad
E) IIT Madras
Answer: D) IIT Hyderabad
- IIT Hyderabad-incubated startup PURE EV is set to launch its first electric motorcycle, ETRYST 350, wholly designed, developed and manufactured at Hyderabad.
- The company says ETRYST 350 is scheduled to hit the roads on August 15 at a price that would be economical compared to conventional motorcycles in Indian markets with similar pickup and power.
- It has been designed and developed at PURE EV’s technical and manufacturing centre in Hyderabad.
- It delivers a top speed of 85 KMPH, offering on par ride experience with most Internal Combustion Engine (ICE) motorbikes.
- A single full charge will provide a range of 120 KM, till the battery has to be charged again.
- The vehicle is powered by a 3.5 KWH patented battery, developed by PURE EV.
- PURE EV is electric vehicle vertical of the startup PuREnergy which is incubated out of IIT Hyderabad and manufactures high-performance Lithium batteries.
IIT Hyderabad-incubated PURE EV – Launch electric motorcycle ETRYST 350.
10. Which country conducted a successful training launch of a surface-to-surface cruise missile which can strike targets up to 450 kilometres?
Answer: E) Pakistan
- Pakistan conducted a successful training launch of a surface-to-surface cruise missile which can strike targets up to 450 kilometres.
- The country’s third missile test in three weeks.
- The Babar missile “is capable of engaging targets at land and sea with high precision, the Army said in a statement, adding that the missile was launched from a state-of-the-art multi-tube launch vehicle.
- The Babar cruise missile has a range of 450 kilometers.
- On February 3, the Pakistan Army successfully test-fired a nuclear-capable surface-to-surface ballistic missile Ghaznavi missile which can strike targets up to 290 kilometres.
- On January 20, Pakistan test-fired nuclear-capable surface-to-surface ballistic missile Shaheen-III which can strike targets up to 2,750 kilometres.
President: Arif Alvi
Prime Minister: Imran Khan
Pakistan – Test-fires surface-to-surface cruise missile, third test in 3 weeks.
11. US Navy conducts maritime exercise with which country counterpart in
Answer: E) Turkey
- Turkey’s Defence Ministry has confirmed that the country’s Navy along its US counterparts conducted a maritime exercise in the Black Sea.
- The frigates TCG TURGUTREIS and TCG ORUCREIS of the Turkish Naval Forces conducted a joint maritime exercise with the USS PORTER and USS DONALD COOK destroyers of the US Navy in the Black Sea.
- Two Turkish Air Force F-16s and one US maritime patrol aircraft also participated in the maritime exercise.
- The training conducted for the fundamental types of naval warfare has “further strengthened cooperation between the naval forces of the two countries and has contributed to their interoperability.
United States of America:
Capital: Washington D.C
Currency: US Dollar
President: Joe Biden
Currency: Turkish Lira
Maritime Exercise – USA + Turkey – Black Sea.
12. Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the Maritime India Summit-2021 on 2nd March. Which organization is Industrial Partner of this summit?
Answer: B) FICCI
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the Maritime India Summit-2021 on 2nd March.
- Minister of Ports, Shipping and Waterways Mansukh Mandaviya said, around 20 thousand delegates will participate, 24 partner countries will join and more than 400 Projects are set to be showcased in the 2nd edition of Maritime India Summit 2021 to be held virtually from 2nd March to 4th March.
- Maritime India Summit is going to provide a powerful platform for international collaboration and bring in partner countries for mutual exchange of knowledge and opportunities.
- The event is being organised by the Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways jointly with FICCI as Industrial Partner and EY as Knowledge Partner.
- Due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic situation, the entire summit will be held on virtual platform www.maritimeindiasummit.in.
- The Maritime India Summit 2021 will provide a hybrid platform which will have physical and virtual presence of prominent shipping and transport ministers and dignitaries from across the world.
- Maritime States of India will participate in the Summit through dedicated sessions.
- The Summit will also include an exclusive CEOs’ forum and various thematic and breakout sessions.
- Secretary of Ministry of Ports, Shipping and Waterways Dr. Sanjiv Ranjan explained the Budget 2021-22 announcements related to Ports , Shipping and Maritime sector and termed them as path breaking initiatives to promote Atma Nirbhar Bharat.
- A whole new range of opportunities will be opening up with the passing of Major Ports Authorities Bill 2020 in the parliament.
Prime Minister, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances and Pensions, Department of Atomic Energy, Department of Space and All important policy issues and All other portfolios not allocated to any Minister
Minister: Narendra Modi
Constituency: Varanasi, Uttar Pradesh
Prime Minister – Inaugurate Maritime India Summit-2021 on 2nd March.
13. Which edition of “India Toy Fair-2021” is being organized on a virtual platform from 27th February 2021 to 2nd March 2021?
- Acting upon the clarion call made by the Hon’ble Prime Minister for coordinated efforts to boost toy manufacturing in India and to improve its global market share in line with the theme of “Atmanirbhar Bharat” and “Get vocal for local” campaigns, the 1st “India Toy Fair-2021” is being organized on a virtual platform from 27th February 2021 to 2nd March 2021.
- It is a first-of-its-kind initiative that aims to bring together all stakeholders of the Indian toy industry to create sustainable linkages and promote dialogue for the holistic development of the industry and present to the globe the richness and vastness of the India’s toy manufacturing capabilities.
- The website of India Toy Fair-2021 www.theindiatoyfair.in was inaugurated jointly by the Union Education Minister, Dr. Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’, Union Minister of Textiles, Smt. Smriti Zubin Irani andUnion Minister of Commerce and Industry, Shri Piyush Goyal here.
- The website for the ‘India Toy Fair 2021’ will enable children, parents, teachers, exhibitors, etc. to register themselves to participate in the virtual fair and showcases various facets of the Indian Toy ecosphere.
- It is the first ever digitally accessible exhibition and platform which will provide an opportunity to not only explore and buy a variety of toys from over 1000 exhibitors across States and UTs of India, but also to participate in insightful webinars, panel discussions and activities and network with various stakeholders of the toy industry.
First ever India Toy Fair – Be organise from 27th February to 2nd March.
14. Which state has become the 6th State in the country to successfully undertake Urban Local Bodies reforms stipulated by the Department of Expenditure?
A) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: E) Goa
- Goa has become the 6th State in the country to successfully undertake Urban Local Bodies reforms stipulated by the Department of Expenditure.
- Finance Ministry said, the state has now become eligible to mobilise additional financial resources of 223 crore rupees through Open Market Borrowings.
- Goa has joined five other states – Andhra Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Manipur, Rajasthan and Telangana, who have completed Urban Local Bodies reforms.
- These five states have been granted a total additional borrowing permission of ten thousand 435 crore rupees.
- Reforms in Urban Local Bodies and the urban utilities reforms are aimed at financial strengthening of Urban Local Bodies in the States and to enable them to provide better public health and sanitation services to citizens.
CM: Pramod Sawant
Governor: Bhagat Singh Koshyari
Goa – 6th State in country to successfully undertake Urban Local Bodies reforms.
15. TIFAC launched a job portal named ______ will conduct skills mapping exercises of workers as per requirements of MSMEs?
Answer: E) Saksham
- Two new initiatives of Technology Information, Forecasting and Assessment Council (TIFAC) —SAKSHAM (Shramik Shakti Manch)- a dynamic job portal for mapping the skills of Shramiks vis-à-vis requirements of MSMEs to directly connect Shramiks with MSMEs and facilitate placement of 10 lakh blue-collar jobs and a Seaweed Mission for commercial farming of seaweeds and its processing for value addition towards boosting national economy were launched on the occasion of the 34th Foundation Day celebrations.
- The SAKSHAM job portal will help eliminate middlemen/ labour contractor as well as help identification of skill proficiency level and development of Skill Cards for Shramiks.
- Two reports prepared by TIFAC — ‘Techno-economic feasibility on Indian bamboo as Wood Substitute’ and ‘Opportunities for Fruit and Vegetable Processing in North Eastern region of India’ were also launched by Dr Vijay Chauthaiwale, an independent Healthcare consultant.
- SAKSHAM (Shramik Shakti Manch), a dynamic portal for jobs/ mapping the skills of Shramiks vis-à-vis requirements of MSMEs and other industries all across the country.
- The portal with the demand and supply data uses algorithm and Artificial Intelligence (AI) tools, for geo spatial information on demand and availability of Shramiks, and also provide analysis on skill training programmes of Shramiks.
- The pilot portal originally initiated with two districts is now being launched as an all India portal.
- Key Features of SAKSHAM:
• A dynamic job portal – opportunity for Shramiks and MSMEs
• Facilitate creation of 10 lakh blue collar jobs
• Direct connect between Shramiks and MSMEs, no middleman in between
• Minimise migration of Shramiks – job opportunity in proximate MSMEs
- Out of the global seaweed production of ~ 32 million tons fresh weight valued around 12 billion US dollars. China produces ~57 %, Indonesia ~28% followed by South Korea, whereas India is having a mere share of ~0.01-0.02%.
- Despite several advantages, commercial seaweeds cultivation has not been taken place in the country at an appropriate scale, as being practiced in South-East Asian countries.
- By an estimate, if cultivation is done in ≈10 million hectares or 5% of the EEZ area of India, it can provide employment to ~ 50 million people; set up new seaweed industry; contribute to national GDP; ocean productivity; abates algal blooms, sequesters millions of tons CO2; Healthier ocean; bio-ethanol of 6.6 billion litres
TIFAC – Job portal named ‘Saksham’ for placing workers in MSMEs.
16. Which state announced the launch of an exclusive scheme for the uplift of Dalits in the state with a budgetary allocation of ₹1,000 crore?
Answer: A) Telangana
- Telangana chief minister K Chandrasekhar Rao announced the launch of an exclusive scheme for the uplift of Dalits in the state with a budgetary allocation of ₹1,000 crore.
CM: K. Chandrashekar Rao
Governor: Tamilisai Soundararajan
Telangana – ₹1,000 crore scheme for Dalit empowerment.
17. A hybrid virtual National Conference on Unani Medicine is organized by which organization?
Answer: A) CCRUM
- The Central Council for Research in Unani Medicine (CCRUM), Ministry of AYUSH, Government of India organized a hybrid virtual National Conference on Unani Medicine.
- The conference themed on ‘Unani Medicine: Opportunities and Challenges in times of COVID-19’was inaugurated by Shri Kiren Rijiju, Hon’ble Minister of State (I/C), Youth Affairs & Sports, Ayurveda, Yoga & Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha, Sowa-Riga and Homoeopathy (AYUSH) & Minister of State, Minority Affairs, Government of India in the august presence of Shri Vaidya Rajesh Kotecha, Secretary, Ministry of AYUSH, Shri Pramod Kumar Pathak, Additional Secretary, Ministry of AYUSH, Prof. Asim Ali Khan, Director General, CCRUM and Dr. M. A. Qasmi, Joint Advisor (Unani), Ministry of AYUSH.
Inaugurating the conference Shri Kiren Rijijustated that Unani Medicine, enriched with the best of knowledge of various civilizations, is the most capable system to ensure the state of complete physical, mental and social well-being of people.
- He further stated that the Ministry of AYUSH created under the leadership of Hon’ble Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi Ji has done commendable work in medical research and healthcare delivery, especially the role played during the COVID-19 pandemic has been exceptional.
- In the valedictory session, Shri Pramod Kumar Pathak, Additional Secretary, Ministry of AYUSH praised the research works of CCRUM especially during the COVID-19.
- He appreciated the deliberations made in the conference and urged to take them further.
- The dignitaries released Conference Souvenir, ‘A Handbook of Common Remedies in Unani Medicine’ and ‘Research on Fundamentals of Unani Medicine – A Summary of Studies Conducted by CCRUM’in the inaugural sessionand ‘Clinical Study of a Unani Formulation – MaʿjūnNisyān in Nisyān (Amnesia)’, ‘Compendium on Patents Granted to CCRUM’ and ‘Medicinal Plants for Longevity’published by the CCRUM in the valedictory session.
CCRUM – National Conference on Unani Medicine.
18. Which Minister in association with MyGov launches online campaign to celebrate Women in science?
A) Civil Aviation Minister
B) External Affairs Minister
C) Finance Minister
D) Home Minister
E) Women & Child Development Minister
Answer: E) Women & Child Development Minister
- On the International Day of Women & Young Girls in Science, Ministry of Women & Child Development in association with Ministry of Education and MyGov, Ministry of Electronics and Information technology launched an online campaign to celebrate women who have carved a niche for themselves in the field of STEM and also encourage young girls who aspire to excel in STEM and contribute towards nation building.
- The campaign honours our young girls from across the country who have performed well in the subjects of Maths and Science & encourage these STEM STARS to make us proud in days to come.
- This initiative is as per the vision of Prime Minister Narendra Modi of “Seeding the powers of idea and innovation in schoolchildren will broaden the base of our innovation pyramid.”
- The International Day of Women and Girls in Science is the 11th day of February, by resolution of the United Nations General Assembly on 22 December 2015.
- The day recognises the critical role women and girls play in science and technology. The day’s purpose is to promote full and equal access to participation in science for women and girls.
- The PM Narendra Modi has always been at the forefront of raising awareness on gender equality.
- He has gone on record in the past to support ‘women-led development’, above and beyond women empowerment.
- As part of the campaign, citizens can congratulate a young STEM Star from their State / district through a personalized card & encourage them to pursue these subjects which are critical for the growth of any Nation.
- More than 700 such STEM Stars have been featured on MyGov todas.
- Visit https://mygov.in/stem-star & applaud our future super stars by sharing the personalized card with #WomenInScience on Social Media.
Women and Child Development and Textiles:
Minister: Smriti Irani
Constituency: Amethi, Uttar Pradesh
Women & Child Development Ministry + MyGov – Online campaign to celebrate Women in science.