Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.,
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
December – 05 | Daily Current Affairs 2020
Table of Contents
1. World Soil Day is observed on which date?
A) December 5
B) December 8
C) December 7
D) December 6
Answer: A) December 5
- Every year December 5 is celebrated as World Soil Day to bring people’s focus and attention on the importance of healthy soil as well as stress on the importance of sustainable management of soil resources.
- The theme of World Soil day 2020 “Keep soil alive, protect soil biodiversity”.
History of World Soil Day:
- World Soil Day became an international day after the International Union of Soil Sciences (IUSS) recommended it in 2002.
- Under the leadership of Thailand and within the framework of the Global Soil Partnership, FAO supported the formal establishment of World Soil Day.
- The FAO Conference unanimously endorsed World Soil Day in June 2013.
- It even requested its official adoption at the 68th United Nations General Assembly.
- As a result, in December 2013, the UN General Assembly responded by designating December 5, 2014, as the first official World Soil Day.
- The day also corresponds with the official birthday of King Bhumibol Adulyadej of Thailand, who had officially sanctioned the event.
2. Marina Arzamasova is related to which sports?
Answer: B) Athlete
Former 800 metres world champion Marina Arzamasova of Belarus has been banned for four years for an Anti-Doping Rule Violation (ADRV), the Athletics Integrity Unit (AIU).
Marina Arzamasova – Former 800m world champion gets four-year doping ban.
3. Yulimar Rojas won women athlete of the year. She was related to which country?
Answer: A) Venezuela
Swedish pole vaulter Armand ‘Mondo’ Duplantis was named the male athlete of the year.
Venezuelan triple jumper Yulimar Rojas won the women’s title at athletics’ annual awards ceremony.
Duplantis and Rojas – World athletes of the year.
4. Anusuya Prasad Maikhuri passed away. Former deputy speaker of which state Assembly?
A) Uttar Pradesh
C) Andhra Pradesh
Answer: B) Uttarakhand
- Former deputy speaker of Uttarakhand Assembly and Congress leader Anusuya Prasad Maikhuri died at the Max Hospital in Dehradun.
- Mr Maikhuri was the deputy speaker of the state assembly from 2012 to 2017.
- Anusuya Prasad Maikhuri – Former deputy speaker of Uttarakhand Assembly and Congress leader.
Capital : Dehradun(Winter), Gairsain(Summer)
CM : Trivendra Singh Rawat
Governor : Baby Rani Maurya
5. Kamatam Ram Reddy passed away. He was former Minister of which sector?
C) Women & Child Development
Answer: B) Revenue
- TRS leader and former Minister Kamatham Ram Reddy died.
- He was a three-time MLA from Parigi Assembly segment in Rangareddy district in combined Andhra Pradesh. He served as Revenue Minister in Kotla Vijayabhaskar Reddy Cabinet, Civil Supplies under Jalagam Vengal Rao in 1977 and handled Marketing portfolio in 1991 N Janardhan Reddy Cabinet.
- Reddy was elected as an MLA for the first time in 1967 as an Independent candidate. He was elected on Congress ticket in 1972 and 1989 from Parigi. He was elected as an MLC in 1980.
Kamatam Ram Reddy – Senior politician and former Revenue Minister.
6. Elon Musk is topped in the Fortune the Businessperson of the Year 2020. He is CEO of which company?
Answer: A) Tesla
|1||Elon Musk||Tesla and SpaceX CEO|
|2||Lisa Su||AMD CEO|
|Amazon Founder and CEO|
|9||Ajay Banga||Mastercard CEO|
BANKING AND FINANCE
7. The Asian Development Bank (ADB) has approved a $40 million grant for road rehabilitation in Samoa. What is the currency of Samoa?
Answer: A) tālā
|ADB||$40 million||road rehabilitation in Samoa
|Government of Afghanistan respond to the coronavirus disease (COVID-19) pandemic.|
|USD 190 million||modernisation and upgradation of power distribution system in Karnataka’s capital city of Bengaluru.|
|ADB||$100 million||improve the operational performance and financial sustainability of state-owned enterprises (SOE) in Papua New Guinea|
|World Bank||US$1 million||Timor-Leste to support the country’s fight against COVID-19.|
|World Bank||US$400 million||Morocco COVID-19 Social Protection Emergency Response Project.|
Currency: Samoan tālā
8. RBI has been decided to make RTGS available round the clock on all days of the year with effect from 00:30 hours on December 14, 2020. This directive is issued under which section of Payment and Settlement Systems Act, 2007?
A) Section 10 (2) read with Section 17
B) Section 10 (2) read with Section 18
C) Section 10 (2) read with Section 14
D) Section 10 (2) read with Section 13
Answer: B) Section 10 (2) read with Section 18
RBI – RTGS available round the clock on all days of the year with effect from 00:30 hours on December 14
- The acronym ‘RTGS’ stands for Real Time Gross Settlement, which can be explained as a system where there is continuous and real-time settlement of fund-transfers, individually on a transaction by transaction basis (without netting).
- ‘Real Time’ means the processing of instructions at the time they are received;
- ‘Gross Settlement’ means that the settlement of funds transfer instructions occurs individually.
- The RTGS system is primarily meant for large value transactions.
- The minimum amount to be remitted through RTGS is ₹ 2,00,000/- with no upper or maximum ceiling.
Inward transactions – Free, no charge to be levied.
Outward transactions – ₹ 2,00,000/- to 5,00,000/- : not exceeding ₹ 24.50/-;(exclusive of tax,ifany)Above ₹ 5,00,000/- : not exceeding ₹ 49.50/-. (exclusive of tax, if any)
- Unique Transaction Reference (UTR) number is a 22 character code used to uniquely identify a transaction in RTGS system.
9. Dr Rajan Sankaranarayanan has won the prestigious Infosys Prize 2020 for the life sciences category. He was Chief scientist of which institution?
Answer: A) CSIR-CCMB
Dr Rajan Sankaranarayanan – the prestigious Infosys Prize 2020 for the life sciences category.
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
10. Chinese scientists have created the world’s first light-based quantum computer which can solve problems far faster than a classical supercomputer. What is the name of that computer?
Answer: B) Jiuzhang
- Chinese scientists claim to have created the world’s first light-based quantum computer which can solve problems far faster than a classical supercomputer.
- Jiuzhang, the quantum computer, can reliably demonstrate “quantum computational advantage”, a milestone in computing, state-run China Daily quoted a study published in the journal Science.
- China – make world’s first light-based quantum computer.
Currency : Renminbi
11. Which state launched AP-Amul project, which will strengthen the dairy sector in cooperatives besides creating economic empowerment of women?
A) Andhra Pradesh
B) Arunachal Pradesh
D) Madhya Pradesh
Answer: A) Andhra Pradesh
Andhra Pradesh – AP-Amul project to strengthen dairy sector
Capital : Amaravati
CM: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
Governor : Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
12. Manipur CM Biren lays foundation stone for Irang RCC Bridge, inaugurates Irang Bailey Bridge,Irang RCC Bridge will be constructed at an estimated cost of how much amount?
A) Rs 29.31 crore
B) Rs 19.31 crore
C) Rs 39.31 crore
D) Rs 49.31 crore
Answer: D) Rs 49.31 crore
- Manipur Chief Minister N Biren Singh laid the foundation stone for four-lane Irang RCC bridge and also inaugurated the Irang bailey bridge constructed by the Indian Army at Toubam village in Noney district.
- Irang RCC Bridge will be constructed at an estimated cost of Rs 49.31 crore by NHIDCL.
- CM Biren – lays foundation stone for Irang RCC Bridge, inaugurates Irang Bailey Bridge.
Capital : Imphal
CM: N. Biren Singh
Governor : Najma Heptulla
13. The second edition of the Yayavar Literary Festival will be held in which state/UT?
A) Jammu & Kashmir
D) Daman & Diu
Answer: A) Jammu & Kashmir
Jammu & Kashmir – The second edition of the Yayavar Literary Festival
14. Dandupur railway station to be renamed as ‘Maa Barahi Devi’ station. This station is situated in which state?
A) Andhra Pradesh
B) Arunachal Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: D) Uttar Pradesh
The Dandupur railway station situated between Pratapgarh and Badshahpur on Lucknow-Varanasi rail section will now be named Maa Barahi Devi Dham.
Dandupur railway station – renamed as ‘Maa Barahi Devi’ station in Pratapgarh.
Capital : Lucknow
CM : Yogi Adityanath
Governor : Anandiben Patel
15. Which state inaugurated the Ashtavakra Center for disability persons through video conferencing to mark International Day of Persons with Disabilities?
A) Andhra Pradesh
D) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: B) Haryana
- Haryana Education Minister Kanwarpal inaugurated the Ashtavakra Center set up by the Higher Education Department in Pandit Chiranji Lal Government College, Karnal through video conferencing to mark International Day of Persons with Disabilities.
- He also launched the mobile application and website www.ashtavakrakendra.highereduhry.com ‘Ashtavakra Kendra’ in addition to the release of ‘Sparsh’, a monthly magazine of Braille script prepared for People with Disabilities (PwDs).
- Haryana – ‘Ashtavakra Center’ for PwDs.
Capital : Chandigarh
CM: Manohar Lal Khattar
Governor : Satyadev Narayan Arya
16. Which state has launched ‘Manobik’ scheme where differently-abled persons with 40 per cent or more disabilities will receive a monthly pension?
A) West Bengal
D) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: A)West Bengal
- West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee has launched ‘Manobik’ scheme where differently-abled persons with 40 per cent or more disabilities will receive a monthly pension.
- Also, family income bar raised to Rs 2 lakh/year for scholarships of differently-abled students in 2020.
- West Bengal – ‘Manobik’ scheme for differently-abled persons.
Capital : Kolkata
CM : Mamata Banerjee
Governor : Jagdeep Dhankhar
17. Sandalwood museum has set up in which city?
A) Mysuru, Karnataka
B) Bangalore, Karnataka
C) Mangalore, Karnataka
D) Vijayapura, Karnataka
Answer: A) Mysuru, Karnataka
Karnataka – set up sandalwood museum in Mysuru
Capital : Bengaluru
CM : B. S. Yeddyurappa
Governor : Vajubhai Vala
18. Which Naval Command conducts ”Operation Demonstration” organised as part of Navy Week -2020 celebrations?
Answer: A) Southern
- The Southern Naval Command’s Operations Demonstration (Op Demo), organised as part of Navy Week-2020 celebrations.
- The event showcased the potent capability of Indian Navy and provided an insight into operations at sea.
- The event was witnessed by Vice Admiral A K Chawla, Flag Officer Commanding-in-Chief Southern Naval Command, along with other invited dignitaries and some select personnel of SNC from the naval jetty of INS Venduruthy.
- The demonstration commenced with MARCOS (Marine Commandos) carrying out simulated combat beach reconnaissance and assault, using inflatable watercraft, Gemini, followed by the programme brochure being delivered to the Chief Guest.
Southern Naval Command – conduct ‘Operation Demonstration’.
19. Mizoram’s first solar power plant has been commissioned at Tlungvel. The grid connected how many megawatt solar photovoltaic (SPV) solar power plant?
Answer: B) 2
- Mizoram’s first solar power plant has been commissioned at Tlungvel.
- The grid connected 2 megawatt solar photovoltaic (SPV) solar power plant
The power plant was constructed with Rs 14 crore funds wholly provided by the state government.
- Tlungvel – Mizoram’s first solar power plant.
Capital : Aizawl
CM : Zoramthanga
Governor : PS Sreedharan Pillai