Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.,
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
December – 23 | Daily Current Affairs 2020
Table of Contents
1. ‘Kisan Diwas’ or National Farmers day is observed on December 23 to mark the birth anniversary of Choudhary Charan Singh. He served as ___ Prime Minister of India?
Answer: A) 5
- India observes National Farmers Day or Kisan Divas on December 23 every year to mark the birth anniversary of fifth Prime Minister Choudhary Charan Singh.
- Choudhary Charan Singh, regarded as a farmer’s leader, introduced many policies to improve their lives.
- He recognised and felicitated the significance of agricultural economy and the position of a farmer in the economy.
- The government had in 2001 decided to mark Charan Singh’s birth anniversary as Kisan Diwas.
- Chaudhary Charan Singh’s memorial is known as Kisan Ghat.
- The Amausi Airport in Lucknow is renamed as Chaudhary Charan Singh International Airport.
- The University of Meerut is renamed as Chaudhary Charan Singh University.
2. Kieran Trippier is related to which sports?
Answer: A) Football
Atletico Madrid and England defender Kieran Trippier has been suspended for 10 weeks and fined 70,000 pounds ($94,052.00) following a breach of betting rules.
Kieran Trippier – Atletico Madrid and England defender – Suspend for 10 weeks + fine 70,000 pounds ($94,052.00) following a breach of betting rules.
3. Badminton player Nikita Khakimov banned how many years for relating to “betting, wagering and irregular match results”?
Answer: D) 5
- Russian doubles badminton player Nikita Khakimov has received a five-year ban after being found guilty of offences relating to “betting, wagering and irregular match results”.
- Khakimov was part of the Russian men’s team that won the bronze medal at the 2020 European Team Championships.
Currency : Russian Ruble
Nikita Khakimov – Russian doubles badminton player – ban for five years over betting, fixing offences.
4. Sugathakumari passed away. She was poet of which language?
Answer: B) Malayalam
- Renowned Malayalam poet and activist Sugathakumari, who devoted her life to the green cause, rights of women and the deprived, passed away.
- Sugathakumari was awarded India’s fourth-highest civilian award, Padma Shri, in 2006.
- She won her first Kerala Sahitya Akademi Award for ‘Pathirapookkal’. ‘
- Rathrimazha’, one of her most popular works, won her the Kendra Sahitya Akademy Award.
- She has been conferred with almost all the major literary awards including the Odkakuzhal award, Vayalar award, Asan prize, Ezuthachan award and the ONV literary award.
Capital : Thiruvananthapuram
CM : Pinarayi Vijayan
Governor : Arif Mohammed Khan
Sugathakumari – Renowned Malayalam poet and activist.
BANKING AND FINANCE
5. Which bank was granted access to the FRUITS platform on a pilot basis what is the project of Karnataka?
A) Federal Bank
B) Canara Bank
C) HDFC Bank
D) ICICI Bank
Answer: B) Canara Bank
- Canara Bank granted access to FRUITS portal has captured all the details of 70 lakh farmers in the State under a single platform.
- The Farmer Registration and Unified beneficiary Information System (FRUITS) portal has not only captured the details of the land owned by the farmers but also has information on the crops grown, loans taken from the banks and financial institutions, insurance coverage and also the benefits availed from various government schemes.
- Canara Bank, convenor of the state-level bankers’ committee in Karnataka, was granted access to the FRUITS platform on a pilot basis.
- The FRUITS portal is integrated into the BHOOMI package of the State for fetching and validating the land details.
- Another important facility of this portal is the online creation of charges by which visit of farmers to the Sub-Registrar Office is avoided.
- The FRUITS portal is the first of its kind in the country wherein the land and other details of all the farmers in the State are being captured.
Hq: Bengaluru, Karnataka
MD and CEO : Lingam Venkata Prabhakar
Tagline : Together we can
Capital : Bengaluru
CM : B. S. Yeddyurappa
Governor : Vajubhai Vala
Canara Bank – grant access to FRUITS portal which capture all the details of 70 lakh farmers in the State.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS
6. The book ‘Ayodhya’ written by whom?
A) Mohan Bhandari
B) Madhav Bhandari
C) Selva Bhandari
D) Sundaram Bhandari
Answer: B) Madhav Bhandari
Former Maharashtra Chief Minister and Leader of Opposition in the Legislative Assembly Devendra Fadnavis released the book ‘Ayodhya’ written by BJP’s State Vice President Madhav Bhandari in Mumbai.
|‘Ayodhya’||Madhav Bhandari||Devendra Fadnavis|
|“In Pursuit of Justice: An Autobiography”||Rajindar Sachar||Rupa Publications|
Capital : Mumbai
CM : Udhav Thackarey
Devendra Fadnavis – Release book ‘Ayodhya’ written by Madhav Bhandari.
7. Sandeep Batra is appointed as the Executive Director of which bank?
A) ICICI Bank
B) HDFC Bank
C) Lakshmi Vilas Bank
D) Bandhan Bank
Answer: A) ICICI Bank
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) approved the appointment of Sandeep Batra as the Executive Director of ICICI Bank.
- Batra has been appointed as the Executive Director for a period of three years.
Headquarters: Mumbai, Maharashtra
MD & CEO : SandeepBakshi
Tagline : Hum Hai Na, KhayalApka
Sandeep Batra – Executive director of ICICI Bank.
8. India and which country signed an agreement to enhance cooperation between their steel industries?
Answer: B) Japan
- India and Japan signed an agreement to enhance cooperation between their steel industries with the aim of ramping up domestic production and greater coordination in the global market, which is dominated by China.
- Nippon Steel has also established a joint venture with Tata Steel to produces high grade steel for automobiles.
- A conglomerate led by Mitsubishi Corporation and Larsen & Toubro is working with Steel Authority of India Limited to modernise the Rourkela steel plant.
Capital : Tokyo
Currency : Japanese Yen
India + Japan = Sign deal to boost cooperation between steel industries.
9. The Union Cabinet approved the license for the DTH will be issued for a period of how many years in place of present 10 years?
Answer: B) 20
The Union Cabinet, chaired by the Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi, has approved the proposal for revision of the guidelines for obtaining license for providing Direct-To-Home (DTH) broadcasting service in India. The salient features of the decision are:
- License for the DTH will be issued for a period of 20 years in place of present 10 years. Further the period of License may be renewed by 10 years at a time.
- License fee has been revised from 10% of GR to 8% of AGR. AGR will be calculated by deduction of GST from GR.
- License Fee will be collected on quarterly basis in lieu of presently annualbasis.
DTH operators shall be permitted to operate .to a maximum of 5% of its total channel carrying capacity as permitted platform channels. A one-time non-refundable registration fee of Rs.10,000 per PS channel shall be charged from a DTH operator.
- Sharing of Infrastructure between DTH operators. DTH operators, willing to share DTH platform and transport stream of TV channels, on voluntary basis, will be allowed.
- Distributors of TV channels will be permitted to share the common hardware for their Subscriber Management System (SMS) and Conditional Access System (CAS) applications.
- Changes have been approved for 100 per cent foreign direct investment in the sector. Till now, the FDI was limited to 49 per cent.
- The DTH is operable on pan-India basis.
- DTH sector is a highly employment intensive sector.
- It directly employs DTH operators as well as those in the call centres besides indirectly employing a sizeable number of installers at the grass-root level.
- The amended DTH guidelines, with longer license period and clarity on renewals, relaxed FDI limits, etc., will ensure fair degree of stability and new investments in the DTH sector along with employment opportunities.
Cabinet – approve Revision in guidelines for providing Direct to Home (DTH) Services in India.
10. India successfully test-fired a medium range surface-to-air missile (MRSAM) from Odisha coast. This Missile is developed by DRDO and which Country Aerospace Industries?
Answer: A) Israel
- India successfully test-fired a medium range surface-to-air missile (MRSAM) from Odisha coast.
- The missile was fired from a ground mobile launcher at launch pad number-1 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR).
- An unmanned air vehicle (UAV), ‘Banshee’, was first flown into the air, which was hit by the MRSAM.
- The DRDO has jointly developed the missile in collaboration with Israel Aerospace Industries.
- The MRSAM has been manufactured by Bharat Dynamics Ltd.,
Hq : New Delhi
Chairman : G. Satheesh Reddy
India – Successfully test-fire surface-to air missile off Odisha coast.
11. Which state cabinet approves new enterprises and employment policy 2020 which aims to establish the state as a competitive and favoured investment destination?
B) Uttar Pradesh
C) Andhra Pradesh
D) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: A) Haryana
- The Haryana cabinet approved the Haryana Enterprises and Employment Policy 2020.
The policy aims to establish the state as a competitive and favoured investment destination.
- The objective of the policy is to attract investment of over Rs 1 lakh crore and generate 5 lakh jobs in the state.
Capital : Chandigarh
CM: Manohar Lal Khattar
Governor : Satyadev Narayan Arya
Haryana cabinet – Approve new enterprises and employment policy.
12. Centre grants Rs 4,898 crore of reform-linked additional borrowing limit to Andhra Pradesh and Madhya Pradesh. Out of these, How much amount given to Andhra Pradesh?
A) Rs 2,425 crore
B) Rs 2,325 crore
C) Rs 2,225 crore
D) Rs 2,525 crore
Answer: D) Rs 2,525 crore
- The Centre granted an additional borrowing limit of Rs 4,898 crore to Andhra Pradesh (AP) and Madhya Pradesh (MP) for the implementation of urban local body (ULB) reforms.
- AP received permission to mobilise Rs 2,525 crore through market borrowings, MP can raise an additional Rs 2,373 crore.
- States implementing the ULB reforms, aimed at financially strengthening ULBs to enable them to provide better public health and sanitation services, would get additional borrowing limits of 0.25% of GSDP.
- MP came up with the Madhya Pradesh Nagarpalik Vidhi (Dwitiya Sanshodhan) Adhyadesh, 2020 to implement the reforms.
- Similarly, AP issued an ordinance to amend the Municipal corporation Act, 1995, the Andhra Pradesh Municipalities Act, 1965, the Visakhapatnam Municipal Corporation Act, 1979, the Vijayawada Municipal Corporation Act, 1981, and the Andhra Pradesh Municipal Corporations Act, 1994, to effect the reforms.
Capital : Amaravati
CM: Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy
Governor : Biswa Bhushan Harichandan
CM: Shivraj Singh Chouhan
Governor : Anandiben Patel
Centre – Grant Rs 4,898 crore of reform-linked additional borrowing limit to Andhra and MP.
13. Cabinet approves ₹59, 048 crore post-matric scholarship scheme for 4 crore SC students. Out of these, The central government will spend how much percent of the programme?
Answer: C) 60
- In a big push for education, the Union Cabinet approved ₹ 59,048 crore Post Matric Scholarship for more than four crore Scheduled Caste (SC) in the next five years. The cabinet approved a total investment of ₹59,048 crore.
- The central government will spend 60% of the programme which is estimated at ₹35,534.
- The rest will be provided by the state government.
Cabinet – Nod for Rs 59,048 Crore Post-Matric Scholarship Scheme for 4 Crore SC Students.
14. The Assam cabinet approved the Assam Official Language Amendment Bill for making which language is an associate official language of the state?
Answer: C) Bodo
- The Assam government will introduce a new law to accord Bodo the status of associate official language of the state.
- The decison was taken at a meeting of the state cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal.
- The Cabinet also approved setting up of the Bodo Kachari Welfare Autonomous Council.
Capital : Dispur
CM : Sarbananda Sonowal
Governor : Jagdish Mukhi
Assam – introduce new law to accord Bodo status of associate official language.