Daily Current Affairs January 23
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs January 23. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
January 23 | Daily Current Affairs 2022
Sports – Daily Current Affairs January 22
1. IPL 2022 to be held in India without crowd: BCCI sources:
- The Indian Premier League (IPL) 2022 season will be held in India itself, top sources in the Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) confirmed.
- Sources in the know of developments confirmed to ANI that if the COVID-19 subsides in the country, then the board will go ahead with hosting the IPL 2022 in India.
- The two-day mega auction will see 10 teams bidding for some of the finest talents in world cricket.
- The players’ list incorporates 270 capped, 903 uncapped, and 41 Associate players.
- The detailed list is as follows: Capped Indian (61 players), Capped International (209 players), Associate (41 players), Uncapped Indians who were a part of previous IPL seasons (143 players), Uncapped International who were a part of previous IPL seasons (6 players), Uncapped Indians (692 players), and Uncapped Internationals (62 players).
The IPL auction is set to be held on February 12 and 13 in Bengaluru.
2. Sindhu wins Syed Modi International badminton title:
- Two-time Olympic medallist PV Sindhu eased past young compatriot Malvika Bansod in straight games to win her second women’s singles title at the Syed Modi International badminton tournament here.
- Playing in a depleted field due to multiple COVID-19 cases, top seed Sindhu hardly broke her sweat to get past Bansod 21-13 21-16 in a lop-sided title contest.
- The final lasted just 35 minutes.
- It was former world champion Sindhu’s second Syed Modi title after having annexed the BWF World Tour Super 300 event in 2017.
- Before that, seventh seeded Indians Ishaan Bhatnagar and Tanisha Crasto clinched the mixed doubles title with a straight game win over compatriots T Hema Nagendra Babu and Srivedya Gurazada.
- Bhatnagar and Crasto inflicted a 21-16 21-12 on the unseeded Indian duo in the summit clash that ended in 29 minutes.
- Earlier, the men’s singles final between Arnaud Merkle and Lucas Claerbout was declared a ‘No Match’ after one of the finalists tested positive for COVID-19.
Bhatnagar-Crasto win Syed Modi mixed doubles title:
- Seventh seed Indians Ishaan Bhatnagar and Tanisha Crasto clinched the mixed doubles title at the Syed Modi International badminton tournament with a straight game win over compatriots T Hema Nagendra Babu and Srivedya Gurazada here.
- Bhatnagar and Crasto hardly broke a sweat as they inflicted a 21-16 21-12 on the unseeded Indian duo in the summit clash that lasted just 29 minutes.
- Two-time Olympic medallist PV Sindhu is now up against compatriot Malvika Bansod the in the women’s singles final of the BWF World our Super 300 event.
- Earlier, the men’s singles summit clash between Arnaud Merkle and Lucas Claerbout was declared a ‘No Match’ after one of the finalists tested positive for COVID-19.
3. Pakistan’s Fatima Sana adjudged ICC Emerging Women’s Cricketer of 2021:
- Pakistan all-rounder Fatima Sana on Sunday was named as ICC Emerging Women’s Cricketer of 2021.
- Sana took 24 wickets at an average of 23.95 and she also scored 165 runs at 16.50 in 16 international matches.
Rizwan named ICC T20 Cricketer of the Year:
- Pakistan wicketkeeper batter Mohammad Rizwan was named ICC Men’s T20 Player of the Year following a prolific 2021.
- The opener ruled the roost in 2021 when it came to the shortest format of the game.
Oman’ Zeeshan Maqsood and Austria’s Andrea-Mae Zepeda Named ICC Associate Cricketers of the Year:
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) announced the first set of the individual awards with the associate cricketers of the year category in men’s and women’s international cricket.
- The captain of Oman’s men’s cricket team Zeeshan Maqsood was voted as the ICC Men’s Associate Cricketer of the Year for his fantastic performance in 2021, including leading his team at the ICC Men’s T20 World Cup last year.
- The left-arm spinner was consistent with his performance across both ODI and T20I and aided his team to several victories throughout the year.
- Leading his side with aplomb, Maqsood also flourished in both batting and bowling roles for Oman in 2021.
- He played a crucial role as a middle order batter and picked up wickets consistently.
ICC Awards 2021: England batter Tammy Beaumont named women’s T20I player of the year:
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has named England’s opening batter Tammy Beaumont as the Women’s T20I Player of the Year 2021.
- Tammy Beaumont delivered an amazing performance for her team with the bat in T20 International cricket in the year 2021.
- She was the highest run-getter of the team England in 2021 in T20Is and overall she was the third-highest run-getter in the world.
ICC Awards: Pakistan’s Mohammad Rizwan named Men’s T20I Player of the Year:
- Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter Mohammad Rizwan on Sunday was named the ICC Men’s T20I Cricketer of the Year.
- The Pakistan wicketkeeper-batter ruled the roost in 2021 when it came to the shortest format of the game. Aggregating a staggering 1326 runs in only 29 matches, Rizwan struck at an average of 73.66 and a strike rate of 134.89.
Banking and Finance – Daily Current Affairs January 23
4. RBI conducts Variable Rate Repo auction worth ₹75,000 crore:
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI), conducted a three-day Variable Rate Repo auction to infuse liquidity amounting to ₹75,000 crore in the banking system in a bid to cool overnight call money market rates.
- The central bank had conducted a one-day Variable Rate Repo auction for ₹50,000 crore, too, as overnight call money market rates shot up following tightness in liquidity due to outflows from Banks on account GST payments by their clients.
- As against the notified amount of ₹75,000 crore, the RBI received bids aggregating ₹1,22,170 crore at the Variable Rate Repo auction.
- The central bank allocated ₹75,005 crore to the banks at the cut-off rate of 4.09 per cent.
- Overnight call money was dealt in the 2.20-4.55 per cent range, per CCIL data., overnight call money was dealt in the 2.10-4.65 per cent range.
- Meanwhile, at the auction of the Government Security (GS) maturing in 2026 (coupon rate:5.74 per cent), about 34 per cent of the notified amount of ₹6,000 crore devolved on primary dealers.
- The auction of other three papers, 4.56 per cent GS 2023 (₹2,000 crore), 6.67 per cent GS 2035 (₹9,000 crore) and 6.99 per cent GS 2051 (₹7,000 crore), sailed through.
5. World Bank approves Rs 1000 cr loan to help people get Bengal govt services:
- The World Bank has approved a loan of around Rs 1,000 crore to the West Bengal government primarily to support its effort to help the poor and vulnerable groups access its social protection services.
- According to a statement released by the state government, the loan will help the administration improve services such as medical help through telemedicine, support for the elderly and differently-abled, financial inclusion of citizens with digital payments and disbursement of benefits for public schemes.
- The loan under the ‘West Bengal Building State Capability for Inclusive Social Protection’ operation will strengthen the capability of this state to expand coverage and access to social assistance and targeted service for poor and vulnerable groups, it said.
6. AIIB to invest $150 mn in development of data centres serving Asia:
- Multilateral bank Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), will invest $150 million in the development of data centers that mostly serve emerging Asia.
- Beijing-based AIIB, where India is a key founding member, will channelise funds through the Keppel Data Centre Fund II (KDCF II), a private equity vehicle managed by Alpha Investment Partners Limited (Alpha).
- This is AIIB’s first data center project.
- Multilateral development banks have been investing in digital infrastructure in the past.
- Now, such investments are becoming more essential nowadays with the acceleration of 5G technology and other high-speed/supercomputing digital infrastructure due to the pandemic.
- AIIB’s investment of $100 million through a parallel fund structure and $50 million through co-investments marks the final close of KDCF II.
- The fund is focussed on strategic investments in the fast-growing data center sector with a focus on Asia Pacific.
Awards – Daily Current Affairs January 23
7. Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar 2022:
- To recognize and honour the invaluable contribution and selfless service rendered by individuals and organizations in India in the field of disaster manageent, Government of India has instituted an annual award known as Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar.
- The award is announced every year on 23rd January, the birth anniversary of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.
- The award carries a cash prize of Rs. 51 lakh and a certificate in case of an institution and Rs. 5 lakh and a certificate in case of an individual.
- For the award this year, nominations were solicited from 1st July, 2021 onwards.
- The award scheme for the year 2022 was given wide publicity through print, electronic and social media.
- In response to the award scheme, 243 valid nominations were received from institutions and individuals.
- For the year 2022, (i) Gujarat Institute of Disaster Management (in the Institutional category) and (ii) Professor Vinod Sharma (in the Individual category) have been selected for the Subhash Chandra Bose Aapda Prabandhan Puraskar for their excellent work in Disaster Management.
- Following is a summary of the outstanding work of the winners of 2022 Award in the field of Disaster Management:
- Gujarat Institute of Disaster Management (GIDM), established in 2012, the Gujarat Institute of Disaster Management (GIDM) has been working to enhance the disaster risk reduction (DRR) capacity of Gujarat.
- Through a series of strategically designed capacity building programs, GIDM has trained more than 12,000 professionals on diverse issues concerning multi-hazard risk management and reduction during the pandemic.
- Some recent key initiatives include the development of a user-friendly Gujarat Fire Safety Compliance Portal, and development of a Mobile App Technology based Advanced COVID-19 Syndromic Surveillance (ACSyS) system to complement the COVID-19 surveillance efforts of Integrated Disease Surveillance Project.
- Professor Vinod Sharma, a senior professor at the Indian Institute of Public Administration and Vice-Chairman of the Sikkim State Disaster Management Authority, was the founder co-ordinator of the National Centre of Disaster Management, now known as the National Institute of Disaster Management.
- He has worked tirelessly towards bringing disaster risk reduction (DRR) to the forefront of the national agenda.
- His pioneering work in DRR in India gave him international recognition and he is a resource person to Lal Bahadur Shastri National Academy of Administration (LBSNAA) and all Administrative Training Institutes (ATIs) for disaster management.
- As Vice Chairman of the Sikkim State Disaster Management Authority, he has made Sikkim a model State in implementing DRR, whilst initiating panchayat level preparedness plans, linking climate change and DRR.
- They will be conferred with the Award, alongwith the awardees of the year 2019, 2020 and 2021, by Prime Minister, Shri Narendra Modi at the investiture ceremony, to be held today evening to commemorate the 125th birth anniversary of Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose.
International Affairs – Daily Current Affairs January 23
8. World Economic Forum to hold 2022 annual meeting in Davos in May:
- The World Economic Forum will hold its 2022 annual meeting in the Swiss mountain resort of Davos from May 22-26, the Geneva-based group said.
- The WEF had in December postponed the event for the business and political elite a month before it was due to take place, citing the difficulties of holding such an in-person conference amid the spread of the Omicron coronavirus variant.
- The WEF will coordinate closely with the Swiss government on the public health situation, it said, adding the meeting would take place as long as conditions were in place to guarantee the health and safety of participants and the host community.
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs January 23
9. Shri Amit Shah – Virtually release India’s First “District Good Governance Index”, in Jammu.
- Union Minister of Home and Cooperation Shri Amit Shah will virtually release India’s First “District Good Governance Index”, in Jammu
- The Union Minister of Home and Cooperation Shri Amit Shah will virtually release India’s First “District Good Governance Index”, prepared by DARPG in collaboration with Government of Jammu & Kashmir in the august presence of Minister of State for PMO, Personnel, PG and Pensions Dr. Jitendra Singh and the Lieutenant Governor of Jammu & Kashmir Shri Manoj Sinha at Convention Centre Jammu.
- The collaboration received from Chief Secretary Government of Jammu & Kashmir, Shri Arun Kumar Mehta, enabled the conceptualization and formulation of an index that measures the diversity of governance model in the Union Territory of Jammu and Kashmir.
- It provides a roadmap for similar benchmarking of Governance at District level for all States and Union Territories of India.
- The Union Minister of Home and Cooperation Shri Amit Shah had released the National Good Governance Index on December 25, 2021.
- The Good Governance Index 2021 indicated that Jammu and Kashmir had registered an increase of 3.7 percent in Good Governance Indicators over the 2019 to 2021 period.
- Strong performances were witnessed in Commerce and Industry, Agriculture and Allied Sectors, Public Infrastructure & Utilities, Judiciary and Public Safety Sectors.
- Significant improvements were reported in Ease of Doing Business, Tax collection, Skill trainings imparted, Connectivity to rural habitations, Economic empowerment of women, Health insurance coverage and Housing for all.
- There were improvements in conviction rates, disposal of court cases and proportion of women police personnel. Citizen Centric Governance sector witnessed a strong performance.
- In this backdrop of strong governance performance at National level, the Government of Jammu & Kashmir’s initiative of benchmarking governance at District level assumes considerable significance.
- The District Good Governance Index has helped identify the impact of various governance interventions at district level and provide a futuristic roadmap for improving district level governance with targeted interventions.
- The stakeholder consultations necessitated 10 rounds of meetings at Government of India level including meetings with Chief Secretary J&K, District Collectors, Directorate of Economics and Statistics, consultations with Academia and Sector Specialists from other States all of which were coordinated by DG IMPARD.
- Some of the key highlights of the results the DGGI has presented are
- In Agriculture and Allied Sector – Universal coverage has been achieved in Kisan Credit Card scheme, Soil Health Card Scheme and Animal Vaccination.
- Most Districts of Jammu & Kashmir witnessed growth of Food Grain Production, Horticulture produce, Milk and Meat production, poultry production, agriculture credit.
Commerce and Industry Sector – improvement is seen in GST registration, MSME units registered online, Credit to Handicrafts and Credit for Self-Employment.
- There is a 109 percent increase in credit to handicrafts in 2019-2021 period.
- Human Resources Development Sector – The percentage of Schools with Drinking Water, Separate Toilets and Electricity Facilities have shown an increase as also the percentage of schools with access to computers and number of children served mid-day meals.
- In 10 districts 100 percent skill trainings have been imparted to registered students.
- Public Health Sector – Full Immunization represents a significant success story, percentage of PHC/ Sub-Centers converted to Health & Wellness Centers, proportion of Anganwadis with own buildings have shown improvements.
- Public Infrastructure and Utilities Sector – Housing for all scheme indicates more than 50 percent of sanctioned houses being grounded in 12 districts, Ganderbal and Srinagar achieving 100 percent access to safe drinking water, 18 districts achieving 100 percent access to sanitation facilities, improvements in households electrified and construction of all-weather roads.
- Social Welfare and Development Sector – 80 percent Aadhar seeding of ration cards represents a major milestone.
- Financial Inclusion Sector – Financial inclusion under Jan Dhan Yojana has achieved universal coverage, financial support under self-employment schemes has also registered double digit growth.
- Judicial and Public Safety Sector – disposal of court cases has gone up significantly.
- Citizen Centric Governance Sector – tremendous momentum in government offices converted to e-Office, almost 100 percent progress in grievance redressal and significant increases in government services provided online.
- Over the past 2 years, the DARPG has under the leadership of Dr. Jitendra Singh successfully collaborated with Government of Jammu & Kashmir in adoption of e-Office, capacity building programs for J&KAS, JK-IGRAMS integration with District Portals, conduct 3 regional conferences on replication of good governance practices.
- The District Good Governance Index of Jammu & Kashmir represents a significant milestone in realizing this vision of Prime Minister for Next Generation Administrative Reforms during the Amrit Kaal period.
10. Department of Food and Public Distribution develops roadmap to roll out Online Storage Management:
- Department of Food and Public Distribution, with its principal agency, Food Corporation of India, has developed a roadmap to roll out Online Storage Management (OSM) in the country.
- The OSM envisages putting in place a single source of information for the food grains stored in the country for central pool through integrating State portals with the central portal.
- In a statement, the Ministry of Consumer Affairs, Food, and Public Distribution said, the OSM will develop an ecosystem of storage management applications across the Decentralized Procurement (DCP) States, each being capable of capturing the Minimum Storage Specifications (MSS).
- In a meeting held yesterday, under the Chairmanship of Secretary (Food), Central government, and attended by Food Secretaries of all DCP States, FCI made a presentation on the progress in the initiative.
- During the presentation, it was emphasized that the States shall build their respective portals in a collaborative mode, to ensure that the best practices can be imbibed and disseminated among the States.
- In the meeting, the sixteen states including Andhra Pradesh, Bihar, Chhattisgarh, Gujarat, Haryana, and West Bengal have reassured of their commitment to develop storage management applications with MSSs and integrate them with the central portal.
- The Ministry said, this exercise is expected to be completed by March this year and will improve efficiency and transparency in stocking, storage, movement, and distribution of food grains.
Over All Review
Banking and Finance