Daily Current Affairs December 18
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs December 18. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
December 18 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
Important Days – Daily Current Affairs December 18
1. International Migrants Day is observed on which date?
A) December 11
B) December 16
C) December 18
D) December 12
E) December 14
Answer: C) December 18
International Migrants Day 2021:
- The United States has designated December 18 as the International Migrants Day.
The day acknowledges the importance of protecting the rights and dignity of migrants around the world.
- People often move from their country voluntarily or are forced to leave their homeland.
International Migrants’ Day 2021: History and Significance
- They are either voluntary or forced movements caused by an increased magnitude and frequency of disasters, economic challenges and extreme poverty or conflict.
- This year, the world saw an exodus from Afghanistan when the Taliban took control of the nation’s administration in August.
- According to the United Nations, approximately 281 million people were international migrants last year, representing 3.6 per cent of the global population.
International Migrants Day 2021: Theme
- For this year, the United Nations has announced the theme for International Migrants Day as ‘Harnessing the Potential of Human Mobility.’
- The UN mentioned in its statement that migrants contribute with their “knowledge, networks, and skills to build stronger, more resilient communities.”
World Arabic Language Day:
- December 18 marks World Arabic Language Day which celebrates the cultural diversity of the Middle Eastern region and the language spoken.
- The annual celebration of Arabic culture falls on the same day in 1973 when the General Assembly of the United Nations adopted Arabic as the sixth official language of the Organization.
World Arabic Language Day 2021: History And Origins
- Not much is known about the father of the Arabic language or the founder of the ancient language but the United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) mentions that the language first emerged in the northwest of the Arabian Peninsula.
- Arabic is described as the member of the Semitic family of languages which also includes Hebrew and Aramaic.
World Arabic Language Day 2021: Theme
- UNESCO has announced the theme of 2021 World Arabic Language Day as, ‘Arabic Language, a bridge between civilisations.’
- In a statement shared by the UNESCO, this year’s event is a call to reaffirm the crucial role of the Arabic language in connecting people through culture, science, literature and several other fields.
Minorities Rights Day 2021
- Every year, December 18 is observed as the Minorities Rights Day to uphold the right to freedom and equal opportunities for the ethnic minorities in India and create awareness about the respect and dignity of the minorities.
- On this day, the country focuses on the challenges and issues faced by the minority communities of different ethnic origins.
- People talk about safeguarding the rights of the religious, cultural, linguistic, and ethnic minorities.
- The day also highlights the need to eliminate all forms of discrimination against minorities.
Minorities Rights Day: History
- December 18 was declared as the Minorities Rights Day back in 1992 by the United Nations.
- The UN had adopted the statement on the individual’s Rights belonging to religious or Linguistic National or Ethnic Minorities.
- In India, it is the responsibility of the National Commission for Minorities (NCM) to carry out the events on this day.
- The NCM was established by the Union Government under the National Commission for Minorities Act, in 1992.
Minorities Rights Day: Theme
- The Minority Rights Day 2021 in India is celebrated annually on December 18 by conducting debates and seminars on the topic.
- The plight and situation of the minorities are thoroughly studied to rule out discrimination from the country.
- The Minority Rights Day 2021 aims to uplift all the minority sections of society and back them to voice their opinion.
- Considering the COVID-19 pandemic, all the sessions, seminars, and debates are likely to take place digitally.
International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers:
- International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers is observed annually on December 17 by sex workers, their advocates, friends, families and allies. Originally conceived as a memorial and vigil for the victims of the Green River Killer in Seattle, Washington, US, it has evolved into an annual international event.
Obituary – Daily Current Affairs December 18
2. Justice (retired) GT Nanavati passed away. He was the Chief Justice of Orissa High Court in which year?
Answer: B) 1994
- Justice (retired) GT Nanavati, who headed commissions probing the 2002 Gujarat riots and the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, passed away at his in Ahmedabad residence.
- He was 86.
- Justice Nanavati’s commission, appointed to probe the Godhra train burning and the subsequent riots in which nearly 1,200 people were killed in Gujarat, had given a clean chit to now Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his council of ministers, as well as well as to the police, the BJP, the Vishwa Hindu Parishad and the Bajrang Dal in its final report, made public in 2019.
- The commission had not summoned the then CM of Gujarat Modi during the course of its hearings.
- Justice Nanavati enrolled as an advocate in the Bombay High Court in 1958 and remained on the Government Pleaders’ Panel.
- He was appointed as a permanent judge in Gujarat High Court from in July 1979 and was transferred to the Orissa High Court in 1993.
- He was the Chief Justice of Orissa High Court in January 1994 and was transferred as Chief Justice of Karnataka High Court in September 1994.
- He was subsequently appointed as Judge of the Supreme Court of India in March 1995, and retired as a judge in 2000.
Ranking – Daily Current Affairs December 18
3. What is the rank of Narendra Modi in the World’s Most Admired Men list for 2021?
Answer: C) 8
- Released by: YouGov
|14||Shah Rukh Khan|
Banking and Finance – Daily Current Affairs December 18
4. The Reserve Bank has granted permission to which bank to collect indirect taxes on behalf of the government?
A) Kotak Mahindra Bank
B) RBL Bank
C) Punjab National Bank
D) Karnataka Bank
E) Bank of Maharashtra
Answer: B) RBL Bank
- The Reserve Bank has granted permission to RBL Bank to collect indirect taxes on behalf of the government, the private sector lender said.
- It has already been granted permission to collect direct taxes.
- The private sector lender said after technical integration, its corporate and individual customers will be able to pay their indirect taxes through the bank’s mobile banking or net banking platforms as well as through the branch banking network.
5. The Government of India and the Germany Development Bank – KfW (Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau) signed a _____ loan pact for Surat Metro Rail project?
A) 242.26 million euros
B) 142.26 million euros
C) 442.26 million euros
D) 542.26 million euros
E) 642.26 million euros
Answer: C) 442.26 million euros
- The Government of India and the Germany Development Bank – KfW (Kreditanstalt für Wiederaufbau) signed a 442.26 million euros loan pact for Surat Metro Rail project.
- The total cost of the project is 1.5 billion euros, of which KfW is financing 442.26 million euros, a Finance Ministry statement said.
- The project is being co-financed by French Development Agency, AFD (Agence Française de Développemet).
- The Agreement with AFD for 250 million euros was signed on January 28, 2021, it said.
- The project also aims at an integrated multi modal transport system in the influence zone of metro corridor to provide first and last mile connectivity and improved access to the metro system, it said.
- Further, it said, solar energy shall be harnessed at both depots of Surat Metro.
- The project is envisaged and planned to have a system and transformational impact in terms of a reliable and safer public transport, reduction in traffic congestion and reduction in long delays on major travel corridors in Surat city and urban area by providing integrated mass public transport system, it added.
Appointments – Daily Current Affairs December 18
6. Mohammed Ben Sulayem has been elected as Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) President. He was related to which country?
Answer: B) UAE
- Former rally champion Mohammed Ben Sulayem has been elected as Federation Internationale de l’Automobile (FIA) President beating fellow candidate Graham Stoker, as incumbent Jean Todt stepped down today after three terms.
- Ben Sulayem is a 14-time FIA Middle East Rally Champion.
- He has won 61 international events from 1983 to 2002 and has held a number of roles in the FIA.
- He will now fulfill a four-year term at the head of Formula 1’s governing body.
7. Who is appointed as president of the Indian Newspaper Society (INS)?
A) Manoj Jain
B) Mahesh Jain
C) Mohit Jain
D) Karthik Jain
E) Varun Jain
Answer: C) Mohit Jain
- Mohit Jain of The Economic Times was elected as president of the Indian Newspaper Society (INS) president at its 82nd Annual General Meeting (AGM) held through video conference.
- He succeeds Lakshmipathy Adimoolam of Health & The Antiseptic.
- K Raja Prasad Reddy (Sakshi) is the Deputy President, Rakesh Sharma (Aaj Samaj) is the Vice President and Tanmay Maheshwari (Amar Ujala) is the Honorary Treasurer of the Society for 2021-22. Mary Paul is the Secretary-General.
Awards – Daily Current Affairs December 18
8. How many wards conferred for industrial innovations at DST CII Technology Summit 2021?
Answer: B) 33
- A total of 33 awards were conferred on companies and academic and research institutions for their industrial innovations at the 27th DST CII Technology Summit 2021.
- The 8th CII Industrial Innovation Awards 2021 conferred by Secretary Department of Science and Technology (DST) Government of India Dr. S Chandrasekhar and Past President, Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) & Chairman, CII National Startup Council Mr. Kris Gopalakrishnan, included top 25 Innovative Company Awards, 7 awards to academic and research institutions and 1 grand award.
- The company awards were given for processes, products, services, technologies, and other types of innovations which have the ability to fuel growth in the industry, and the awards to academic and research institutions were given for their contribution in assisting various private and public enterprises in their endeavours.
- The grand award was given to the most innovative company of the year.
- A special category of award was introduced this year for the industry fostering innovation through Industry-Academia collaboration.
- The CII Industrial Innovation Awards were instituted in 2014 to identify and celebrate innovative Indian enterprises across industry segments and sectors.
- The awards give national and international platform to the companies for their innovative products and services.
- These awards have established themselves as one of the most coveted innovation awards in the country.
- The awards evaluate all kinds of new processes, products, services, technologies, and other types of innovations which have the ability to fuel growth in industry.
- They also assess new ideas and approaches along with tangible results.
9. ____ Cantonment Board conferred with Raksha Mantri’s Award for Excellence?
Answer: E) Pune
- For the third time in a row, the Pune Cantonment Board (PCB) bagged the Raksha Mantri’s Award for Excellence in the field of ‘Improvement of Cantonment General Hospital’.
- The award was conferred by Defence Minister Rajnath Singh.
- The award was accepted by the CEO of PCB, Amit Kumar, among others.
- Amid the pandemic, the PCB in order to provide critical tertiary care health services had upgraded the infrastructure at the hospital.
- It set up a 20-bed Intensive Care Unit (ICU) with 20 ventilators through funds received from the State Disaster Relief Fund.
- The PCB also set up three PSA Oxygen Plants with a total capacity of 1,100 LPM through PM Cares and CSR funds.
- A 13-KL liquid oxygen plant has also been installed at the hospital for the ICU.
International Affairs – Daily Current Affairs December 18
10. India, which country sign 12 MoUs to strengthen trade, investment ties?
Answer: D) Vietnam
- India and Vietnam have agreed to enhance trade and investment cooperation with the signing of 12 agreements in the areas of public health, provision of pharmaceutical materials, drug and vaccine production, oil and gas, information technology and technology transfer, education and tourism.
- The 12 Memorandum of Understanding (MoU)s were signed between Vietnamese and Indian enterprises at a Vietnam India Business Forum organised by the Embassy of Vietnam and the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII).
- The MoUs were signed in the presence of Vuong Dinh Hue, President of the National Assembly of Vietnam who is on an official visit to India from December 15-18 at the invitation of Chairman of Rajya Sabha Venkaiah Naidu and Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla.
- Trade and investment cooperation has been one of the main pillars of bilateral relations between Vietnam and India which has over 315 active projects in the country with a total investment of nearly USD 1 billion, ranking 26th out of 141 countries and territories investing in Vietnam.
- The capital mainly focuses on processing and manufacturing sector accounting for 54.5% of Vietnam’s industry.
- In terms of trade, the two-way turnover in the first 10 months of 2021 reached nearly USD 11 billion, up by nearly 40% y-o-y and surpassed the total trade turnover of 2020.
- India is currently amongst the top 10 biggest trading partners of Vietnam while Vietnam is India’s fourth-largest trading partner in ASEAN
- However, economic exchanges still remain modest between the two countries.
- The businesses from both sides discussed the potential areas which can offer rich dividends with mutual development.
- India can become a supplier of input materials for Vietnam in industries such as textiles and garments, shoes and leather, and machine manufacturing while creating more favourable conditions for Vietnamese products, such as consumer goods, electronics, agricultural and aquatic products, wood products and rubber to penetrate the Indian market.
- Vietnam also offers wide scope for cooperation and mutual support in textiles, garments, high-tech agriculture, biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, information technology, energy, infrastructure, and mining.
- The companies also participated in a B2B programme to exchange information and seek opportunities for cooperation.
- The event was attended by Tran Duy Dong, Vice Minister in the Ministry of Planning and Investment of Vietnam along with other senior ministers and members of the Vietnam Government and legislature, Government officers and a large Vietnam business delegation.
- The Indian side was led by Chandrajit Banerjee, Director General, CII, Members of Parliament, officials of Niti Aayog and over 200 entrepreneurs from large corporates including ONGC, Essar, Hinduja, Bharat Biotech, Adani, Trivitron, Biocon, HCL and Indian Oil.
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs December 18
11. India successfully tests nuclear-capable ballistic missile ‘Agni P’. What is the range of this missile?
A) 2,000 to 3,000 km
B) 1,000 to 4,000 km
C) 4,000 to 5,000 km
D) 500 to 2,000 km
E) 1,000 to 2,000 km
Answer: E) 1,000 to 2,000 km
- India successfully tested the new generation nuclear-capable ballistic missile ‘Agni P’ from Dr APJ Abdul Kalam Island off the Odisha coast, the Defence Research and Development Organisation said.
- The ‘Agni P’ is a two-stage canisterised solid propellant ballistic missile with dual redundant navigation and guidance system, it said.
- This second flight-test has proven the reliable performance of all the advanced technologies integrated into the system, it said.
- The surface-to-surface ballistic missile has a range of 1,000 to 2,000 km.
12. Who laid the foundation stone of the 594-km Ganga Expressway in Uttar Pradesh’s Shahjahanpur district?
A) Parshottam Rupala
B) Narendra Modi
C) Jitendra Singh
D) Harsh Vardhan Shringla
E) Rajeev Chandrasekhar
Answer: B) Narendra Modi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi laid the foundation stone of the 594-km Ganga Expressway in Uttar Pradesh’s Shahjahanpur district.
- Starting near Bijauli village in Meerut, the expressway is till Judapur Dandu village in Prayagraj. It passes through Meerut, Hapur, Bulandshahr, Amroha, Sambhal, Budaun, Shahjahanpur, Hardoi, Unnao, Rae Bareli, Pratapgarh and Prayagraj districts of the state.
- Upon completion of work, it will become the longest expressway of Uttar Pradesh, connecting the western and eastern regions of the state.
- The six-lane expressway, which is expandable to eight lanes, will be built at a cost of over Rs 36,230 crore.
- A 3.5 km-long air strip for assisting emergency take-off and landing of Indian Air Force planes will also be constructed on the expressway in Shahjahanpur.
- An industrial corridor is also proposed to be built along the expressway.
- It will provide a big boost to the socio-economic development of the region.
13. Which organisation and Generation India Foundation launch Project Amber to empower youth with industry relevant skills?
E) NITI Aayog
Answer: C) NSDC
- In an endeavour to bridge the gap between skilling and employment, National Skill Development Corporation (NSDC) and Generation India Foundation (GIF) launched ‘Project AMBER’ (Accelerated Mission for Better Employment and Retention) at India Habitat Centre, New Delhi.
- The initiative aims to develop and implement a scalable, and sustainable model of skill development that supports inclusive growth to ensure better outcomes and institutional strengthening, to empower India’s youth with the industry-relevant skills and employment opportunities.
- The project is equally funded by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship (MSDE) under the Skills Acquisition and Knowledge Awareness for Livelihood Promotion (SANKALP) programme, and private philanthropy and aims to train 30,000 youth, 50% of whom will be women.
- The training will be conducted in Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Kendras (PMKKs) across 70 districts in COVID-resilient job roles.
14. Chief Justice of India inaugurates India’s first IAM Centre in which state?
D) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: B) Telangana
- India’s first International Arbitration and Mediation Centre (IAMC) was inaugurated by Chief Justice of India (CJI) N V Ramana at Nanakramguda area on the outskirts of city.
- In his inaugural speech, Justice Ramana said Hyderabad is strategically situated in southern parts of the country and this IAM Centre here, being established with world class infrastructure, would emerge as one of the top destinations for arbitrage and mediation.
- In a short span of four months, a wonderful and world class infrastructure centre has come up, he said across the world, the Hyderabad IAM Centre would become better than Singapore International Arbitration Centre, he felt.
15. Which state launched Pink Force of State Police for enhancing safety and security of women and children?
D) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: E) Goa
- Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant launched Pink Force of State Police for enhancing safety and security of women and children.
- Speaking on the occasion, he said the force would be active round the clock for the security of women and children, specially at coastal areas and for tourists.
- Initially the Pink Force would be operational at 11 police stations in the state and later in all the police stations.
- The Force would help in handling cases related to crime against women and children.
- The Chief Minister said Goa was the first state to have Pink Force within a short span of time.
- The Chief Minister said the Force would have a WhatsApp number on which messages can be sent if required.
- Deputy Chief Minister Chandrakant Kavlekar and Panaji MLA Atanasio Monserratte, among others, were present on the occasion.
16. Govt to set up 35 Multi Modal Logistics Parks in country at cost of _____?
A) Rs 20,000 crore
B) Rs 45,000 crore
C) Rs 60,000 crore
D) Rs 80,000 crore
E) Rs 50,000 crore
Answer: E) Rs 50,000 crore
- Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways, Nitin Gadkari has said that the government plans to set up 35 Multi-Modal Logistics Parks in the country at a total cost of 50,000 crore rupees.
- Addressing the National Conference on Investment Opportunities in Highways, Transport and Logistics in Mumbai, Mr. Gadkari said these parks have been conceptualized to enable seamless intermodal freight movement and offer multiple functionalities such as freight aggregation and distribution, storage and warehousing solutions and value-added services such as custom clearances and IT services.
- He added that all these Multi-Modal Logistics Parks will be developed as part of the Design, Build Finance, Operate and Transfer model. Mr Gadkari said his ministry will execute infrastructure projects worth 7 lakh crore rupees in the next 2-3 years.
17. The Centre has decided to raise the legal age of marriage of women from 18 to ____ years?
Answer: E) 21
- The Centre has decided to raise the legal age of marriage of women from 18 to 21 years and is likely to move legislative amendments in the ongoing winter session of Parliament.
- The Union Cabinet on Wednesday cleared a proposal to bring uniformity in the marriageable age of men and women, sources told news agency PTI on Thursday, adding that a Bill to amend the Prohibition of Child Marriage Act (PCMA), 2006, will be introduced during this session.
- The proposed Bill may also contain amendments to various personal laws relating to marriage of various communities to ensure a uniform age of marriage.
- As of now, the legal age of women to get married is 18, while that for men is 21.
18. Which state starts Khel Nursery Scheme to promote sports in state?
D) Arunachal Pradesh
Answer: C) Haryana
- Haryana government has started Khel Nursery Scheme to promote sports in the state.
This was stated by Minister of State for Sports and Youth Affairs Sandeep Singh.
- He said, under the scheme, sports nurseries will be started in government, private educational institutions and private sports institutions.
- For this, applications have been invited by the department till January 20, 2022.
- The minister said, with this scheme, sports talent will get an opportunity to emerge at the grassroots level.
- Under the scheme, sports nurseries are being opened for the sports included in the Olympic, Asian and Commonwealth Games.
19. Which company has secured an order for manufacturing and supply of High-Speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) System known as ABHYAS, from DRDO’s Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE)?
C) L & T
D) Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
Answer: D) Hindustan Aeronautics Limited
- Hindustan Aeronautics Limited (HAL) has secured an order for manufacturing and supply of High-Speed Expendable Aerial Target (HEAT) System known as ABHYAS, from DRDO’s Aeronautical Development Establishment (ADE) in Bengaluru.
- ABHYAS was first successfully flight-tested in May 2019 and subsequent evaluation trials are being conducted by ADE-DRDO.
- This order will mark the beginning of the series production of ABHYAS, said a statement from HAL.
- After successful completion of the initial order, HAL would be identified as a Development-cum-Production Partner (DcPP) for the supply of the target system along with a private firm, the statement said.
- ABHYAS is designed and developed by ADE, Bengaluru.
- The air vehicle is launched using twin under-slung boosters which provide it the initial acceleration it needs.
- It is powered by a gas turbine engine to sustain long endurance flights at sub-sonic speed.
- The target aircraft is equipped with Micro Electro Mechanical System based Inertial Navigation System for navigation, along with the Flight Control Computer for guidance and control.
- It is programmed for a fully autonomous flight, the statement added.
Over All Review
Banking and Finance