Daily Current Affairs August 7
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs August 7. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
August 7 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
IMPORTANT DAYS – Daily Current Affairs August 7
1. National Handloom Day is observed on which date?
A) August 3
B) August 4
C) August 5
D) August 6
E) August 7
Answer: E) August 7
- Every year August 7 is observed as National Handloom Day.
- It is celebrated annually to commemorate the Swadeshi Movement launched in 1905.
National Handloom Day is celebrated on the day the Swadeshi Movement was launched in 1905.
- This day is observed annually to create awareness about the Handloom Industry amongst the public at large and its contribution to socio-economic development.
- The handloom sector depicts the nation’s glorious cultural heritage and is also an important source of livelihood for people in the country.
National Handloom Day: History and significance:
- The first National Handloom Day was organised by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in 2015 at the Centenary Hall of Madras University, Chennai.
- It is the 7th National Handloom Day. The aim was to create awareness about handlooms in India.
- The handloom sector is one of the major symbols of the cultural heritage of India.
- The day is celebrated to honour the handloom community and acknowledge their contribution to India’s socio-economic development.
- The aim is to resolve to protect this heritage and empower the workers in this sector.
SPORTS – Daily Current Affairs August 7
2. Bajrang Punia won a bronze medal in the men’s freestyle ____ category in Tokyo Olympics after defeating Kazakhstan’s Daulet Niyazbekov?
Answer: C) 65kg
- Grappler Bajrang Punia won a bronze medal in the men’s freestyle 65kg category in the ongoing Tokyo Olympics after defeating Kazakhstan’s Daulet Niyazbekov here at the Makuhari Messe Hall A Mat B.
- Punia defeated Niyazbekov 8-0 in the bronze medal match.
- As a result of this win, India has equalled its tally of six medals recorded at the London Olympics 2012.
- In the ongoing Tokyo 2020, Mirabai Chanu (silver), PV Sindhu (bronze), Lovlina Borgohain (bronze), men’s hockey team ( bronze), and Ravi Kumar Dahiya (silver) have also won medals.
- In the match between Punia and Niyazbekov, the former went on to take a 2-0 lead in the first period and all the pressure was on the Kazakh opponent heading into the last three minutes.
- In the final three minutes, Bajrang managed to hold his own and he kept his opponent at bay walking away with a bronze medal.
Neeraj Chopra ends India’s 100-year wait for an Olympic medal in athletics, wins gold:
- Javelin thrower Neeraj Chopra bagged the gold medal at the Tokyo Olympics, ending India’s 100-year wait for an elusive athletics medal at the world’s top sporting stage.
- A pre-tournament medal contender, the 23-year-old Chopra had fuelled country’s expectations by topping the qualification round with a stunning first round throw of 86.59m.
- Chopra’s medal is only India’s second ever individual gold at the Olympics, the first coming in 2008 via Abhinav Bindra’s 10-meter air rifle victory.
- Three track and field athletes were part of the five-member Indian team at the 1920 Olympics in Antwerp, Belgium — the other two being wrestlers.
- Since then, no Indian had won a medal in athletics.
BANKING AND FINANCE – Daily Current Affairs August 7
3. Asian Development Bank has approved a how much amount loan as additional financing for the ongoing Maharashtra Rural Connectivity Improvement Project that is upgrading rural roads and connecting remote areas with markets?
A) USD 200 million
B) USD 400 million
C) USD 500 million
D) USD 600 million
E) USD 300 million
Answer: E) USD 300 million
- Asian Development Bank said it has approved a USD 300 million loan as additional financing for the ongoing Maharashtra Rural Connectivity Improvement Project that is upgrading rural roads and connecting remote areas with markets.
- The ongoing project, approved in August 2019, has been improving and maintaining the condition and safety of 2,100 kilometres (km) of rural roads across Maharashtra, the Manila-based bank said in a statement.
- The additional financing will improve an additional 1,100 rural roads and 230 bridges for a total length of 2,900 km in 34 districts, the Multilateral funding agency added.
- The additional financing aims to help accelerate Maharashtra’s economic recovery from COVID-19 devastation by generating rural employment and transforming agriculture, ADB Senior Rural Development Specialist for South Asia Masahiro Nishimura said.
- The state government is aiming to increase the average growth rate of agriculture and allied activities to more than 5 per cent per year by 2030, it said.
- The project will also provide last-mile connectivity to a large number of small villages, enhancing access to health and education facilities and greatly benefitting the poor and vulnerable population by increasing agriculture productivity, it added.
- The additional financing is expected to generate about 3.1 million person-days of employment for local communities, of which at least 25 per cent will be for women, over the construction and maintenance periods, the statement noted.
- The state government, acting through Maharashtra Rural Road Development Association as the executing agency, has developed a gender action plan, which focuses on the capacity development of women workers so that they can benefit from the semiskilled and unskilled labour opportunities, the bank said.
- The latest financing will rebuild and rehabilitate roads and bridges in Maharashtra destroyed by the devastating floods in August 2019, it said.
- The design incorporates flood and climate resilience measures, pilot test the use of environment-friendly materials on selected road segments, and utilise new technologies such as fibre-reinforced concrete and pre-cast concrete arch bridge, ADB added.
4. The Department of Posts has rolled out General Insurance Services (Motor & Bike Insurance) on which payments bank platform?
A) Airtel Payments Bank.
B) India Post Payments Bank.
C) Fino Payments Bank.
D) Jio Payments Bank.
E) Paytm Payments Bank.
Answer: B) India Post Payments Bank.
- The Department of Posts has rolled out General Insurance Services (Motor & Bike Insurance) on India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) platform.
- The service is available through Gramin Dak Sevak (GDS) or Postmen at customer’s doorstep.
- India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) is a registered corporate agent with IRDAI for distribution of Insurance products.
- The Bank offers to provide the technology in the most effective way to create a best-in-class buying experience of General Insurance for customers in assisted mode.
- India Post Payments Bank (IPPB) provides service through its 1415 number of End Users viz.
- Postmen and Gramin Dak Sevak registered for General Insurance at present throughout West Bengal Postal circle including Andaman & Nicobar Islands and Sikkim State to provide extensive service to the customers at their doorstep.
- This is being issued to facilitate customers intending for a General Insurance product.
5. Which bank is empanelled by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to act as an ‘Agency Bank’ to facilitate transactions related to the government businesses?
A) Kotak Mahindra Bank
B) IndusInd Bank
C) Karnataka Bank
D) Indian Bank
E) Bank of Maharashtra
Answer: C) Karnataka Bank
- Karnataka Bank is empanelled by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) to act as an ‘Agency Bank’ to facilitate transactions related to the government businesses.
- A media statement by the bank said that as an empanelled ‘Agency Bank’, Karnataka Bank is now authorised to undertake the government businesses such as revenue receipts and payments on behalf of the Central/State governments, pension payments in respect of Central/State governments, collection of stamp duty charges and also any other item of work specifically advised by RBI.
6. The State Department of Fisheries of Andhra Pradesh designed a novel scheme under the brand name “Fish Andhra” by establishing aqua hubs in line with PMMSY. Which bank is supported in this scheme?
A) Kotak Mahindra Bank
B) IndusInd Bank
C) Karnataka Bank
D) Indian Bank
E) Bank of Baroda
Answer: E) Bank of Baroda
- The State Department of Fisheries designed a novel scheme under the brand name “Fish Andhra” by establishing aqua hubs in line with Pradhana Mantri Mathsya Sampadha Yojana (PMMSY), a central government scheme. The Bank of Baroda is supporting the implementation of the project.
- Commissioner (Fisheries) K Kanna Babu and Bank of Baroda, Vijayawada region, deputy general manager Ch Raja Sekhar said a well-structured design and a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) have been devised for implementation of the Fish Andhra Project through the Bank of Baroda as a sole banker across AP, a press release issued here stated.
- Under the project, 100 aqua hubs would be set up and around 14,000 outlets of different sizes and nature would be set up across the State.
- The concept involves the setting up of a hub and spokes model.
- Each aqua hub constitutes 140 beneficiaries and the project cost is Rs 5.50 crore.
- The funding pattern of the aqua hub is 15 per cent beneficiary contribution, 40 per cent government aid and 45 per cent bank loan.
- The Bank of Baroda has come forward to assist and finance the entire 14,000 beneficiaries for setting up aqua units under this Fish Andhra Scheme.
BOOKS AND AUTHORS – Daily Current Affairs August 7
7. The Alphabets of Latin America is authored by whom?
1) Kavitha Rao
2) Bimal Prasad
3) Abhay K
A) Only 1
B) Only 3
C) Only 2
D) Only 1 & 3
E) Only 2 & 3
Answer: B) Only 3
- The Alphabets of Latin America, a poetry collection penned by Indian poet-diplomat Abhay K. during his stay and travels in Latin America between 2016-2019 is being translated into Spanish and will be launched at the International Kolkata Book Fair 2022.
APPOINTMENTS – Daily Current Affairs August 7
8. Rekha Sharma has been nominated as Chairperson of the National Commission for Women (NCW) for another term of how many years by the Central Government?
Answer: D) 3
- The Women and Child Welfare Ministry said that Rekha Sharma has been nominated as Chairperson of the National Commission for Women (NCW) for another term of three years by the Central Government .
- In pursuance of Section 3 of the National Commission for Women Act, 1990 (20 of 1990), Central Government hereby nominates Smt. Rekha Sharma, as Chairperson of the National Commission for Women, for another term of three years w.e.f. 07.08.2021, or till the age of 65 years or until further orders, whichever is the earliest.
AWARDS – Daily Current Affairs August 7
9. Which state government has won the AI Gamechanger Award in the Xperience-AI Summit 2021 organised by NASSCOM?
D) Himachal Pradesh
Answer: E) Telangana
- Information Technology, Electronics & Communication (ITE&C) Department of Telangana government has won the AI Gamechanger Award in the Xperience-AI Summit 2021 organised by NASSCOM (National Association of Software and Services Companies).
- After announcing the award, NASSCOM on social media platform Twitter, congratulates Telangana government for winning the title of an exemplar of the #AIGamechangers Awards 2021 for their use-case : Real Time Crowd Density Estimation and Monitoring using #AI.
- Continuing its efforts to promote AI-led innovation, NASSCOM in collaboration with Microsoft as the ‘Innovation Partner’ and Deloitte as the ‘Knowledge Partner’ had announced the winners of the AI Gamechangers Program to recognise innovative and impactful AI-led use cases, and further encourage AI adoption in the country.
10. Sai Life Sciences Wins Golden Peacock National Training Award 2021. It is related to which state?
D) Himachal Pradesh
Answer: E) Telangana
- Sai Life Sciences, one of India”s fastest growing Contract Research, Development & Manufacturing Organizations (CRDMOs), announced that it has been honoured with the Golden Peacock National Training Award 2021 in the pharmaceutical category.
- This is the second consecutive Golden Peacock Award for the company following the Golden Peacock National Quality Award it received in 2020.
NATIONAL AFFAIRS – Daily Current Affairs August 7
11. Flipkart has signed a memorandum of understanding with which state to bring local artisans, weavers, handicraft and handloom makers into the e-commerce fold?
D) Himachal Pradesh
Answer: D) Himachal Pradesh
- E-commerce marketplace Flipkart has signed a memorandum of understanding with Himachal Pradesh State Handicrafts and Handloom Corporation Ltd (HPSHHCL) to bring local artisans, weavers, handicraft and handloom makers into the e-commerce fold.
- The partnership comes as National Handloom’s Day is observed to celebrate and honour India’s rich community of handloom weavers.
- Under the Flipkart Samarth programme, the partnership will enable Himachal Pradesh’s master craftsmen, weavers, and artisans to showcase their hallmark products and provide them with market access training and support.
- Himachal Pradesh is known for its traditional crafts work such as Kullu/Kinnauri shawl weaving, carpet weaving, Chamba and suni embroidery, thanka paintings, wood carving, metal and stone crafts among many others.
Flipkart & IIM Sambalpur to partner to support small businesses and artisans:
- Flipkart, India’s homegrown e-commerce marketplace, and Indian Institute of Management, Sambalpur, the hand-crafted IIM, one of the most promising and dynamic management institutions among the new generation IIMs of the country, announced a partnership to support and promote small businesses, artisans and weavers by leveraging technology, e-commerce platform and market insights.
- An MoU to cement this partnership will be signed in the next few weeks.
- Through this partnership, announced on National Handloom Day, IIM Sambalpur and Flipkart will leverage their deep expertise and knowledge to create an operational framework to support under-served communities by helping them build capacity and enhance market reach.
- Flipkart executives will actively participate in this program by sharing operational know-how, market and consumer insights.
- The company will also explore opportunities to enable pan-India market access for products created by these entrepreneurs, MSMEs and artisans through its marketplace.
12. Which state/UT flagged off a run for ‘polythene-free Srinagar’ from the city’s historic Lal Chowk?
E) J & K
Answer: E) J & K
- Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor (L-G) Manoj Sinha flagged off a run for ‘polythene-free Srinagar’ from the city’s historic Lal Chowk.
- The initiative is aimed at making streets, lakes and communities cleaner to bring about better environmental sustainability in the union territory.
- Earlier, the L-G flagged off a Cyclothon event, ‘Pedal for Dal’, as a run-up to Independence Day Celebrations.
13. Which Ministry has launched an integrated one-stop solution – Rail Madad’ – in which the national transporter has merged a number of existing helplines that were used for various purposes into one?
A) Education Minister
B) Home Minister
C) Railways Minister
D) Culture Minister
E) Power Minister
Answer: C) Railways Minister
- Indian Railways has launched an integrated one-stop solution – Rail Madad’ – in which the national transporter has merged a number of existing helplines that were used for various purposes into one.
- The Railway ministry in a statement said toll free number 139 can be used for all kinds of enquiries and making complaints and the helpline facility is available round-the-clock in 12 languages.
- Railway minister Ashwini Vaishnaw, in a written reply to a question in Rajya Sabha said 99.93 per cent of complaints received through 139 helplines were closed and 72 per cent of the feedback given by complainants are ‘Excellent’ or ‘Satisfactory’ in FY 2020-21.
- According to the statement Rail Madad, the integrated and innovative one-stop solution for customer grievance, enquiry, suggestion and assistance, providing passengers with the choice to access RailMadad through multiple channels, namely, Web, App, SMS, Social Media and Helpline number (139) during the journey for expeditious resolution of their complaints.
14. Which state launched “Know Your Scheme” services under online with the aim of less government and more governance in assisting the public in providing government benefits at their door steps?
D) Himachal Pradesh
Answer: E) Goa
- Goa Chief Minister Pramod Sawant launched “Know Your Scheme” services under Goa online with the aim of less government and more governance in assisting the public in providing government benefits at their door steps.
15. Which Ministry launched PM-DAKSH Portal and Mobile Application?
A) Education Minister
B) Home Minister
C) Railways Minister
D) Social Justice and Empowerment Minister
E) Power Minister
Answer: D) Social Justice and Empowerment Minister
- Union Minister for Social Justice and Empowerment Dr. Virendra Kumar launched ‘PM-DAKSH’ Portal and ‘PM-DAKSH’ Mobile App, developed by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment, in collaboration with NeGD, to make the skill development schemes accessible to the target groups.
- Through these portals and app the youth of the target groups will now be able to avail the benefits of skill development training programmes more easily.
- The Pradhan Mantri Dakshta Aur Kushalta Sampann Hitgrahi (PM-DAKSH) Yojana is being implemented by the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment from the year 2020-21.
- Under this Yojana, eligible target group are being provided skill development training programmes on
(ii) Short Term Training Programme
(iii) Long Term Training Programme and
(iv) Entrepreneurship Development Program (EDP).
- These training programs are being implemented through Government Training Institutes, Sector Skill Councils constituted by the Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship and other credible institutions.
- Now, any person can get all the information related to skill development training at one place by visiting the ‘PM-DAKSH’ Portal.
- Also, with just one click, one can get information about skill development trainings happening near him/her and he/she can easily register himself/herself for skill training.
- PM- DAKSH Portal is available at http://pmdaksh.dosje.gov.in while ‘PM-DAKSH’ Mobile App is available in Google play store.
16. Which Hub ties up with India Accelerator for backing deep-tech start-ups?
A) Science Startup Hub
B) Finance Startup Hub
C) Home Startup Hub
D) Education Startup Hub
E) MEITY Startup Hub
Answer: E) MEITY Startup Hub
- MeitYStartup Hub (MSH), an initiative of the Ministry of Electronics & IT (MeitY) aimed to promote technology innovation, start-ups, and creation of intellectual properties, has joined hands with India Accelerator, one of the start-up accelerators under its flagship program SOMA.
- The collaboration shall support deep-tech startups from concept validation to product development and further venture journey by assisting them on aspects such as best practices, fundraising, go-to-market, knowledge sharing/ technical know-how, etc.
17. India’s lightest and Pune’s first Metro train was rolled out in which country?
Answer: A) Italy
- India’s lightest and Pune’s first Metro train was rolled out in Italy According to the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, it will be delivered in India by December this year.
Titagarh Wagons Ltd, a company based out of Titagarh in West Bengal, held a virtual ceremony to display its first train manufactured for Pune Metro.
- The virtual ceremony was attended by Ambassador of India to Italy, Neena Malhotra, Ambassador of Italy to India, Vincenzo de Luca, Maharashtra Metro Cooperation Managing Director Brijesh Dixit and others
- The company’s subsidiary in Europe, Titagarh Firema, was awarded a contract for the design, manufacture and supply of 34 trains of three coaches each to MahaMetro on September 12, 2019.
- Despite the severe challenge of the Covid-19 pandemic, the company has been able to design and manufacture a new train in a short time of 22 months.
- The Maharashtra Metro Rail Corporation, a 50:50 jointly owned company of the government of India and the government of Maharashtra, is the executing agency of the Rs 11,420 crore Pune Metro project.
- Pune Metro consists of two corridors, namely 17.4 km long PCMC – Swargate with 14 stations and 15.7 km long Vanaz – Ramwadi with 16 stations.
18. Who released Commemorative Postage Stamp on ‘Mananiya Chaman Lal’ at a public function in New Delhi?
A) Ram Nath Kovind
B) Narendra Modi
C) Arjun Munda
D) Venkaiah Naidu
E) Subhas Sarkar
Answer: D) Venkaiah Naidu
- Shri Venkaiah Naidu, Vice President of India released Commemorative Postage Stamp on ‘Mananiya Chaman Lal’ at a public function at Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Conference Hall, 6, Maulana Azad Road, New Delhi.
- The function was graced by Shri Ashwini Vaishnaw, Union Minister of Communications, Railways & Electronics and Information Technology, Shri Devusinh Chauhan, Minister of State for Communications and other dignitaries.
- This Commemorative Postage Stamp highlights the life & work of Mananiya Chaman Lal, renowned social worker and Sangh Pracharak.
- Born on 25th March, 1920 in Sialkot (now in Pakistan), Mananiya Chaman Lal from a young age was enthused to work for the welfare of people.
- Although he was a Gold Medallist with many lucrative jobs offers, still he chose to work for fulfilling the basic needs of people who were victims of partition of India.
- Through his perseverance, passion and hard work, he created an institutional mechanism for helping the Indians abroad and was instrumental in fulfilling the various strategic goals of foreign policy of India.