Daily Current Affairs August 6
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs August 6. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
August 6 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
IMPORTANT DAYS – Daily Current Affairs August 6
1. Which edition Foundation Day of TRIFED is observed on August 6, 2021?
Answer: B) 34
- As per TRIFED, over the past two years, procurement of MFP has gone up from Rs 30 cr to Rs 1843 crores.
- The Van Dhan tribal start-ups, a component of the same scheme, has emerged as a source of employment generation for tribal gatherers and forest dwellers and the home-bound tribal artisans.
- In less than two years, 37,362 Van Dhan Self Help Groups (VDSHGs), subsumed into 2240 Van DhanVikas Kendra Clusters (VDVKCs) of 300 forest dwellers each, have been sanctioned by TRIFED out of which 1200 VDVK Clusters are operational.
- This has secured employment for 6.77 lakh tribal forest gatherers.
- Under Retail Marketing, a total number of 141 Tribes India Outlets have been opened till date.
- This has gone up manifold from only 43 outlets in 2015-16.
International Owl Awareness Day:
- International Owl Awareness Day (IOAD) raises awareness about our beloved nocturnal raptors annually on August 4.
- International Owl Awareness Day not only celebrates the humble owl, but it also educates our community on how they can join us in conserving and protecting these fantastic beasts.
- Hiroshima Day is observed every year on August 6 to promote peace politics and raise awareness of the effects of the bomb attack on Hiroshima.
- Hiroshima city was attacked by an atomic weapon that killed thousands of lives instantly on August 6, 1945.
- August 6, 2021 is the 76th anniversary of the atomic bombing of the Japanese city.
SPORTS – Daily Current Affairs August 6
2. Valentino Rossi is announced retirement of which sports?
Answer: E) MotoGP
OBITUARY – Daily Current Affairs August 6
3. SS ‘Babu’ Narayan passed away. He was related to which sports?
Answer: D) Football
- Former India goalkeeper SS ‘Babu’ Narayan, who was part of the team which played in 1956 and 1960 Olympics, died in Thane.
- Narayan made his debut against Yugoslavia at the Melbourne Olympics on December 4, 1956.
- He represented the country in nine matches and was part of the two Olympics 1956 (Melbourne) and 1960 (Rome).
RANKING – Daily Current Affairs August 6
4. What is the rank of India in finding innovative solutions to fight Covid-19?
Answer: B) 32
- The report features the top-ranked 40 countries and 100 cities in the world based on innovative solutions developed to face the pandemic.
- India has two cities featured – Bengaluru, 49th rank, New Delhi, 55th rank – among the top 100 and has 15 Covid-related innovations mapped this year – four in ‘prevention’, three in ‘grants and support initiatives’, one in ‘information’, three in ‘treatment’ and four in ‘diagnostics’.
- The US remains on top of the list this year as well, with 405 mapped Covid-related innovations and five of its cities listed in the top 100.
- China, however, has slid two spots this year to the 15th rank.
5. According to Forbes Real-Time Billionaires List, who becomes richest person in the world?
A) De Beers
B) Bernard Arnault
C) Elon Musk
D) Jeff Bezos
E) Thomas Pink
Answer: B) Bernard Arnault
|12||Mukesh Ambani||Reliance Industries Limited|
- Before this, Bernard Arnault led the list of the world’s wealthiest people in December 2019, January 2020, May 2021 and July 2021.
- Arnault holds a net worth of $198.9 billion compared to Jeff Bezos’ $194.9 billion and Tesla owner Elon Musk’s $185.5 billion, according to Forbes Real-Time Billionaires List.
BANKING AND FINANCE – Daily Current Affairs August 6
6. RBI retains GDP growth projection for 2021-22 at how many Percent?
A) 9.5 pc
B) 6.5 pc
C) 5.5 pc
D) 2.5 pc
E) 4.5 pc
Answer: A) 9.5 pc
- Following are the highlights of announcements made by RBI Governor Shaktikanta Das after the third bi-monthly monetary policy review August 6, 2021 by MPC:
• Monetary Policy Committee keeps key interest rate (repo) unchanged at 4 pc for 7th consecutive time;
• Consequently, reverse repo rate too remains unchanged at 3.35 pc;
• Bank rate also remains same at 4.25 pc;
• RBI to continue its accommodative stance to sustain growth amid COVID;
• Retail inflation (CPI) projection at 5.7 pc during 2021-22; may drop to 5.1 pc in Q1 of next fiscal;
• RBI retains GDP growth projection for 2021-22 at 9.5 pc;
RBI extends On Tap TLTRO deadline till 31st December 2021:
- The RBI has extended the life of the On Tap Targeted Long Term Repo Operation, i.e. TLTRO, till 31st December, 2021.
- The On Tap TLTRO was introduced in October last year to inject liquidity into certain ailing sectors of the economy.
- This extension has come in as a measure to support the sectors that have been badly hit by the second wave of the Covid pandemic.
- This is a measure to ensure that there is sufficient liquidity support available to these ailing sectors.
- Initially, the scheme was targeted to just five sectors of the economy.
- Eventually, stressed sectors that were identified by the Kamath Committee were also brought into the scheme last December, following which, banks lending to NBFCs were also added.
7. Which organisation in partnership with Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office, UK to launch Swavalamban Challenge Fund to promote entrepreneurship culture?
Answer: E) SIDBI
- Small Industries Development Bank of India (SIDBI), the principal financial institution engaged in the promotion, financing and development of Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), in partnership with Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office, UK (FCDO UK) has launched ‘Swavalamban Challenge Fund’ (SCF).
- A challenge fund is a fund support mechanism to allocate funds for specific purposes using competition among organisations. Suppose there is an idea which needs to be piloted or scaled up, but funds are an issue, challenge fund provides solution platform to present the idea in prescribed theme, implement and validate it.
- Later the same can be scaled up by leveraging other donor / financier support.
- SCF shall provide financial support to non-profit organizations/educational institutions/social startups which have focus on sustainable livelihood, financial inclusion, and access to financial services besides promoting the culture of entrepreneurship in the country.
- On select six themes of livelihood, women empowerment, financial literacy, responsible business etc. eligible entities can submit their proposal for award.
- The SCF along with digital portal (https:cf.udyamimitra.in) was launched by Secretary, Ministry of MSME, B. B. Swain in the presence of Mr D. K. Singh, Development Commissioner of MSME, Mr Sivasubramanian Ramann, Chairman and Managing Director (CMD) of SIDBI, Ms Mamta Kohli, Senior Social Development Advisor and Mr Gaurav Kapoor, senior official of FCDO UK.
8. National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) entered into an MoU with which Bank to extend financial assistance through the Bank to the Fisheries sector?
A) Kotak Mahindra Bank
B) IndusInd Bank
C) Punjab National Bank
D) ICICI Bank
E) Bank of Maharashtra
Answer: C) Punjab National Bank
- National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) entered into an MoU with Punjab National Bank (PNB), premier bank in the country, to extend financial assistance through the Bank to the Fisheries sector.
- MoU was held here in the presence of NFDB Chief Executive Dr.Suvarna Chandrappagari, PNB MD and CEO, CH S S Mallikarjuna Rao, Executive Director (Infra) M Arul Bosco Prakash, PNB Zonal Head and General Manager Sanjeevan Nikhar and PNB Head Credit and Nodal In-charge (Hyderabad) Rajnish Kumar.
- The Zonal Office in Hyderabad will be the Nodal Office for all the technically approved proposals received by NFDB across the country, the bank said in a release here.
- The Government created the Fisheries and Aquaculture Infrastructure Development Fund (FIDF) in 2018-19 and is being implemented with a total fund size of Rs.7522.48 crores comprising of Rs. 5266.40 crore to be raised by Nodal Lending Entities (NLE), like NABARD, NCDC and all scheduled banks.
- The eligible entities will be the State Governments / Union Territories, Corporations/Undertakings/Govt. Sponsored, Supported Organizations, Fisheries Cooperative Federations (including FISHCOPFED), Cooperatives, Collective groups of fish farmers and fish produce groups .
- Panchayat Raj Institutions/Self Help Groups (SHGs)/ NGOs, SCs/STs/Marginal Farmers, Women & entrepreneurs, Self Help Groups, Private companies/entrepreneurs and Physically disabled.
- FIDF will help in creation and modernization of Infrastructure of capture & culture fisheries Marine Aquaculture, Inland Fisheries, Reduce post-harvest losses and improve domestic marketing facilities and to bridge the resource gap and facilitate completion of ongoing infrastructure projects.
- So far 67 projects have been approved in the country. 14 from the individual/ private entrepreneurs under FIDF and 53 under Entrepreneur model of PMMSY scheme.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY – Daily Current Affairs August 6
9. Who launches rural B2B travel tech platform Travel Union?
A) Masaba Gupta
B) Salman khan
C) Irrfan khan
D) John Abraham
E) Sonu Sood
Answer: E) Sonu Sood
- Bollywood actor Sonu Sood launched Travel Union, a rural business to business (B2B) travel tech platform to democratise travel services.
- Travel Union members (travel agents) will work towards serving the travel needs of rural customers at every district, block and gram panchayat level.
- With a mission to support, digitally empower and build a leading travel agent business community in rural India at zero investment, Travel Union aims to be the largest rural digital travel services platform.
- At the rural level, the travel sector has been largely unorganised with no player focusing on the needs of Indians in tier-2 cities, towns and villages.
- Travel Union addresses multiple unfulfilled needs of rural travel agents, small business owners and enterprises, called Travel Union Members, the primary one being the absence of travel-tech platforms designed for rural travel at the core.
- The platform aggregates all available price options for a particular offering and shows Travel Union members the lowest prices they can offer their customers.
- It provides inventory, competitive prices, and state-of-the-art technology directly from airlines, railways, hotels, trips, wholesalers and aggregators.
- It also allows for online cancellations and refunds, eliminating the long wait customers usually have to endure.
- Members enjoy the benefit of earning high margins due to direct booking options available with multiple travel service partners.
- Travel Union is presently available in English and Hindi, and will be launched in 11 more Indian languages.
- New and upcoming offerings on the platform also include domestic and international holiday packages, visa services, forex services as well as travel/ luggage accessories.
- Travel Union App is available to download on Google Play store
10. Which company has joined hands with Common Service Centre Scheme CSC e-Governance Services India in order to expand sales of its commercial vehicles in the rural areas?
D) Tech Mahindra
E) Tata Power
Answer: E) Tata Power
- Tata Motors said it has joined hands with Common Service Centre Scheme (CSC) e-Governance Services India in order to expand sales of its commercial vehicles in the rural areas.
- The auto major has inked a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with CSC to strengthen its reach in rural geographies, including remote areas of the country.
- The CSC Village Level Entrepreneur (VLE) network would be instrumental in taking the proposition to the villages in the country.
APPOINTMENTS – Daily Current Affairs August 6
11. Akhilesh Mishra has been appointed as the country’s next High Commissioner to which country?
Answer: E) Ireland
- Senior diplomat Akhilesh Mishra has been appointed as the country’s next High Commissioner to Ireland, External Affairs Ministry announced.
- Mishra was the 1989 IFS-batch officer and is on special duty in the foreign ministry at present.
12. Ebrahim Raisi sworn in as president of which country?
Answer: A) Iran
13. Dhriti Banerjee has become the first woman to be appointed as director of Zoological Survey of India (ZSI). It is founded in which year?
Answer: E) 1916
14. Who is appointed as non-executive chairman of Mahindra & Mahindra?
A) Sadhish Mahindra
B) Varun Mahindra
C) Lakshman Mahindra
D) Anand Mahindra
E) Karthik Mahindra
Answer: D) Anand Mahindra
- Long-serving Mahindra & Mahindra group chairman, Anand Mahindra, will step down from his executive role to become the non-executive chairman from November 2021.
INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS – Daily Current Affairs August 6
15. The first Deputy National Security Adviser level meeting was held virtually between India, Sri Lanka and which country?
Answer: B) Maldives
- The first Deputy National Security Adviser level meeting was held virtually between India, Sri Lanka and the Maldives .
- The meet aims to forge closer cooperation on maritime and security matters among the three Indian Ocean countries.
- The meeting was held under the chairmanship of Sri Lanka’s Army head General LHSC Silva.
- India’s deputy NSA Pankaj Saran and Maldieves’ Secretary of NSA’s office Aishath Nooshin Waheed participated in the meet.
- Bangladesh, Mauritius and Seychelles also participated as observers in the meeting.
- The meet identified four pillars of cooperation under the Colombo Security Conclave.
- These included marine safety and security, terrorism and radicalization, trafficking and organised crime and cybersecurity.
16. Canada has joined the Coalition on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI), an initiative that was launched by India in which year?
Answer: E) 2019
- Canada has joined the Coalition on Disaster Resilient Infrastructure (CDRI), an initiative that was launched by India in 2019.
- The international coalition was unveiled by Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the UN Climate Action Summit in New York in September 2019 and now includes 22 countries, four international partners and two private sector organisations.
- Among its members are the United States, the United Kingdom, The European Union, France, Germany, Japan, Australia and Brazil.
NATIONAL AFFAIRS – Daily Current Affairs August 6
17. The Finance Ministry has released how much amount to four states “Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Jharkhand and Mizoram” to provide grants to urban local bodies (ULBs)?
A) Rs 286 crore
B) Rs 386 crore
C) Rs 486 crore
D) Rs 586 crore
E) Rs 686 crore
Answer: E) Rs 686 crore
- The Finance Ministry has released Rs 686 crore to four states –Uttar Pradesh, Gujarat, Jharkhand and Mizoram — to provide grants to urban local bodies (ULBs).
- The grants for urban local bodies have been released as per the recommendations of the 15th Finance Commission, aimed at improving basic civic services, including fulfilling location-specific felt needs.
- These grants are intended for smaller (non-million plus) cities, including cantonment Boards.
- The Department of Expenditure has released an amount of Rs 685.80 crore to 4 states for providing grants to the Urban Local Bodies (ULBs).
- Out of this, an amount of Rs 494 crore has been released to Uttar Pradesh, Rs 110.20 crore to Gujarat, Rs 74.80 crore to Jharkhand and Rs 6.80 crore to Mizoram.
- The grants are meant to ensure the provision of additional funds to urban local bodies over and above the funds allocated by the Centre and state for sanitation and drinking water under the Centrally Sponsored Schemes.
18. Which state launched the Tamil Archanai scheme at Kapaleeswarar Temple in Mylapore, Chennai?
D) Tamil Nadu
Answer: D) Tamil Nadu
- Tamil Nadu Minister for Hindu Religious and Charitable Endowments PK Sekar Babu launched the Tamil Archanai scheme at Kapaleeswarar Temple in Mylapore, Chennai.
- The minister also added that the present system of chanting archanai mantras in Sanskrit would not be disturbed.
19. Which state/UT inaugurated a sports week to celebrate the Independence Day of the nation?
E) J & K
Answer: E) J & K
- Jammu and Kashmir Lieutenant Governor (LG) Manoj Sinha inaugurated a sports week to celebrate the Independence Day of the nation in Srinagar.
- In this sports week, various sporting events will be organised across Jammu and Kashmir to celebrate the “Azaadi ka Amrut Mahotsav” in connection with 75 years of Independence.
20. Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that the Khel Ratna award will be called the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award. Dhyan Chand is related to which sports?
Answer: D) Hockey
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi announced that the Khel Ratna award will now be called the Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award.
- The award was earlier named after former Prime Minister Rajiv Gandhi.
- This comes a day after the Indian men’s hockey team won the Bronze medal after 41 years at the Olympic Games. Dhyan Chand was a legendary hockey player known for his magical hockey skills.
- He was part of the Indian hockey team which struck gold in the Olympics of 1928, 1932, and 1936.
- On August 29, India celebrates National Sports Day to commemorate the birth anniversary of hockey wizard Dhyan Chand.
21. Who addresses the G20 Research Ministers’ Meeting virtually?
A) Ram Nath Kovind
B) Narendra Modi
C) Arjun Munda
D) Smriti Zubin Irani
E) Subhas Sarkar
Answer: E) Subhas Sarkar
- The Minister of State for Education Shri Subhas Sarkar participated in the G20 Research Ministers’ meeting.
- The meeting was hosted in blended mode by Italy.
- G20 Education Ministers exchanged views on enhancing research collaborations and sharing digital space among G20 Countries for a strong, sustainable, resilient and inclusive recovery.
- MoS, Education, Smt. Annpurna Devi; MoS, Education, Dr. Rajkumar Ranjan Singh, Secretary Higher Education Shri Amit Khare and senior officials of the Ministry were also present during the meeting.
- Representing India, Shri Subhas Sarkar reiterated the country’s commitment to promote research and to skill, reskill and upskill the youth and collaborating with other G-20 countries to achieve this objective.
- He said that India attaches great importance to work with G20 partners and find evidence-based solutions to common problems.