Daily Current Affairs August 5
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs August 5. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
August 5 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
SPORTS – Daily Current Affairs August 5
1. The Indian men’s hockey team clinched an Olympic medal after 41 years after beating which country to claim the bronze in a thrilling play-off match in the ongoing Tokyo Games 2020?
Answer: A) Germany
- India’s first Olympic hockey medal since 1980 Moscow Olympic Games.
- It is India’s third hockey bronze medal in the history of the Olympics.
- The other two came in 1968 Mexico City and the 1972 Munich Games.
- Overall, the Indian men’s hockey team has won 12 medals at the Olympics – eight golds, one silver and three bronze.
- 1928, Amsterdam GOLD 1932, Los Angeles GOLD 1936, Berlin GOLD 1948, London GOLD 1952, Helsinki GOLD 1956, Melbourne GOLD 1960, Rome SILVER 1964, Tokyo BRONZE 1968, Mexico City BRONZE 1972, Munich BRONZE 1980, Moscow GOLD 2021, Tokyo BRONZE.
Wrestler Ravi Dahiya wins silver medal after losing 4-7 in final to Zavur Uguev:
- Indian wrestler Ravi Kumar Dahiya clinched an Olympic silver medal after losing his 57 kg final to Russian two-time defending world champion Zavur Uguev.
RANKING – Daily Current Affairs August 5
2. What is the rank of Reliance Industries Ltd in 2021 Fortune Global 500 list?
|155||Reliance Industries Ltd|
- Billionaire Mukesh Ambani’s oil-to-telecom conglomerate Reliance Industries Ltd slipped 59 places to rank 155th on the 2021 Fortune Global 500 list released.
- Reliance took a beating on the rankings as revenues dropped owing to the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Walmart continues to top the Fortune list with a revenue of $524 billion, followed by China’s State Grid at $384 billion.
- With $280 billion revenue, Amazon came in at the third spot, replacing Chinese giants. China National Petroleum was ranked fourth and Sinopec Group fifth.
- Other Indian oil companies on the list too slipped ranks as their revenues tumbled because of the fall in oil prices.
- State Bank of India (SBI) moved up 16 places to rank 205 but Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) dropped 61 places to 212th rank.
BANKING AND FINANCE – Daily Current Affairs August 5
3. Which Bank launches Retain Bonanza-Monsoon Dhamaka?
A) Kotak Mahindra Bank
B) IndusInd Bank
C) Indian Bank
D) ICICI Bank
E) Bank of Maharashtra
Answer: E) Bank of Maharashtra
- Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) has waived processing fees on its gold, housing and car loans till 30 September, 2021, under its ‘Retail Bonanza-Monsoon Dhamaka’ offer.
- The Pune-heaquartered public sector bank said in a statement that it is offering home loans and car loans at interest rates starting from 6.90 per cent and 7.30 per cent respectively.
4. Which company has partnered with Hitachi Payment Services to develop the capability to acquire e-RUPI transactions on the Yono SBI Merchant app?
B) Google Pay
E) SBI Payments
Answer: E) SBI Payments
- SBI Payments, a joint venture between State Bank of India and Hitachi Payment Services, said it has partnered with Hitachi Payment Services to develop the capability to acquire e-RUPI transactions on the Yono SBI Merchant app.
- It said merchants can now use the ‘UPI Voucher’ feature on the Yono SBI Merchant App to accept prepaid UPI e-vouchers. In addition, Hitachi Payment Services will also support SBI Payments in merchant on-boarding and merchant transaction settlements for e-RUPI.
5. RBI gives banks how many more months to comply with new rules on opening current accounts?
Answer: D) 3
- The Reserve Bank of India has given banks three more months, till October 31, to implement the new rules on opening current accounts.
- This comes after thousands of small businesses across the country raised a cry after their current accounts were frozen, as banks rushed to comply with the RBI directive.
BUSINESS AND ECONOMY – Daily Current Affairs August 5
6. T-Hub and which company have joined hands to explore emerging technologies like Quantum Computing, DeepTech and accelerate its adoption?
E) HCL Technologies
Answer: E) HCL Technologies
APPOINTMENTS – Daily Current Affairs August 5
7. Ram Subhag Singh appointed chief secretary of which state?
D) Himachal Pradesh
Answer: D) Himachal Pradesh
- The Himachal Pradesh government appointed senior IAS officer Ram Subhag Singh as the chief secretary replacing Anil Kumar Khachi who was made the state election commissioner.
8. Abdul Qayyum Niazi was sworn in as new prime minister of _____?
A) New Zealand
E) Pakistan-occupied Kashmir
Answer: E) Pakistan-occupied Kashmir
- President of PoK Sardar Masood Khan administered the oath to him, after which he became the 13th prime minister of the region, taking over the reins from former premier Raja Farooq Haider.
9. RBI approves re-appointment of Prakash Chandra as Non-Executive Chairman of which Bank?
A) Kotak Mahindra Bank
B) IndusInd Bank
C) Indian Bank
D) RBL Bank
E) Bank of Maharashtra
Answer: D) RBL Bank
AWARDS – Daily Current Affairs August 5
10. Who won the prestigious Lokmanya Tilak National Award for 2021?
A) C Rangarajan
B) Jagdish Bhagwati
C) Anand Kumar
D) Hari Vardhan
E) Cyrus Poonawalla
Answer: E) Cyrus Poonawalla
SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY – Daily Current Affairs August 5
11. Which organisation launches study to upgrade service quality of Indian hospitals?
A) Air Bus
Answer: E) ISRO
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has launched a study to explore whether quality assurance mechanisms used in space technology to reduce human errors can be replicated in Indian hospital settings to ensure zero defect and quality of service in the emergency and intensive care units.
NATIONAL AFFAIRS – Daily Current Affairs August 5
12. Assam government, which organisation and Assam Infrastructure Financing Authority (AIFA) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to boost the execution of development projects in the state?
A) NITI Aayog
Answer: E) NABARD
- Assam government, NABARD, and Assam Infrastructure Financing Authority (AIFA) have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) to boost the execution of development projects in the state.
- The MoU, with a stake involving Rs 13,200 crore will essentially be used for infrastructural development from NABARD Infrastructure Development Assistance (NIDA) and Rural Infrastructure Assistance to the state government (RIAS) in rural and semi-urban areas across the state.
13. Which state launched ‘Makkalai Thedi Maruthuvam’ scheme at Samanapalli in Krishnagiri district?
D) Tamil Nadu
Answer: D) Tamil Nadu
- In a new initiative aimed at taking the medical and healthcare services to the people’s doorsteps for the first time in India, Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M K Stalin launched ‘Makkalai Thedi Maruthuvam’ scheme at Samanapalli in Krishnagiri district.
- Through this initiative, the government will not only provide the requiredmedications at the doorsteps of people, but also take medical services to their homes.
- The scheme was simultaneously launched in seven districts–Thanjavur, Tiruchi, Tirunelveli, Coimbatore, Chennai, Salem and Madurai--with a cumulative allocation of Rs 258 crore and a targeted coverage of about 30 lakh families and one crore population.
14. Which state launched the app and web portal of Mukhyamantri Antyodaya Parivar Utthan Yojana (MMAPUY)?
D) Tamil Nadu
Answer: E) Haryana
- In order to help poor families, Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar launched the app and web portal of Mukhyamantri Antyodaya Parivar Utthan Yojana (MMAPUY).
- Under this scheme, joint teams of six departments will interact with Atyodaya families and select the appropriate schemes so that family income can be increased.
- Under this scheme, a package of measures for skill development, self-employment and employment generation will be adopted so that the minimum annual income of Antyodaya families will initially be raised to Rs One lakh and later to Rs 1.8 lakh per annum.
Haryana govt signs MoU with Walmart Vriddhi, Haqdarshak:
- Haryana Government has taken initiative by creating a pathway for the MSMEs products to the move towards International market as it has signed MoU with ‘Walmart Vriddhi’ and ‘Haqdarshak’ company in the presence of Deputy Chief Minister Dushyant Chautala.
- The MoU was signed by Mr Vikas Gupta, Director General, MSMEs Department, on behalf of the Government, Mr Nittin Dutt on behalf of Walmart Vriddhi and CEO Mr Aniket Doeger on behalf of Haqdarshak.
15. Who organises a National Webinar on ‘Indian Knowledge System, Languages, Art & Culture’?
A) Education Ministry
B) Home Ministry
C) Health Ministry
D) Culture Ministry
E) Agriculture Ministry
Answer: A) Education Ministry
- As part of the celebration of one year of transformative reforms under National Education Policy, 2020, Government of India is organising a series of theme-based webinars on different aspects of National Education Policy, 2020.
- Indian Knowledge System, Language, Arts & Culture being one of the innovative thrust area of NEP, Indian Knowledge System at AICTE under Ministry of Education organised a National Webinar on Transforming Education in the Light of Indian Knowledge System, Language, Arts & Culture.
- Union Minister of Education and Skill Development and Employment Shri Dharmendra Pradhan was the Chief Guest on the occasion.
16. The Centre has disbursed how much amount to fund UDAN scheme?
A) Rs 1353 cr
B) Rs 1453 cr
C) Rs 1553 cr
D) Rs 1653 cr
E) Rs 1253 cr
Answer: E) Rs 1253 cr
- The Centre has disbursed One thousand 253 Crore rupees to fund UDAN scheme, from Regional Connectivity Scheme (RCF) levy and Viability Gap Funding (VGF) from the collected One thousand 904 Crore rupees, till now.
17. Which state announces Educational Empowerment Fund to bridge digital divide among students?
D) Tamil Nadu
Answer: B) Kerala
- Kerala Chief Minister Pinarayi Vijayan said that an Educational Empowerment Fund will be set up, similar to the Disaster Relief Fund, as part of the Vidyakiranam initiative to provide digital education to all students.
- The Chief Minister inaugurated the Vidyakiranam project and the website aimed at bridging the digital divide among students.