Daily Current Affairs August 28
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs August 28. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
August 28 | Daily Current Affairs 2021
IMPORTANT DAYS – Daily Current Affairs August 28
1. Which foundation day of The Sikh Regiment is observed on August 28?
Answer: C) 175
- The Sikh Regiment celebrated 175 years of its raising at Sikh Regimental Centre in Ramgarh Cantt .
SPORTS – Daily Current Affairs August 21
2. Which state govt adopts Indian wrestling till 2032 Olympics?
C) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: C) Uttar Pradesh
- In a massive boost for the Indian wrestling, the Uttar Pradesh government has adopted the sport and is expected to pump in an investment of Rs 170 crore in infrastructure and support to the wrestlers till the 2032 Olympics
- The WFI had also roped in Tata Motors in 2018 as principal sponsors of Indian wrestling, a partnership which had brought with it a financial support of Rs 12 crore that allowed the federation to give away central contracts to wrestlers till the Tokyo Games.
3. Gerard Moreno wins Europa Player of the Year award. He was related to which country?
Answer: D) Spain
- Villarreal forward Gerard Moreno finished ahead of Bruno Fernandes and Edinson Cavani to be named the 2020/21 UEFA Europa League Player of the Season.
- The 29-year-old finished ahead of Manchester United pair Bruno Fernandes and Edinson Cavani to win the fifth edition of the award, which was announced during the UEFA Europa League group stage draw in Istanbul.
RANKING – Daily Current Affairs August 28
4. According to the 2021 Global DeFi Adoption Index by blockchain data platform Chainalysis, what is the rank of India in terms of DeFi adoption?
Answer: B) 6
- DeFi or decentralised finance represents one of the fastest growing and most innovative sectors of the cryptocurrency economy, and India ranks sixth in terms of DeFi adoption, according to the 2021 Global DeFi Adoption Index by blockchain data platform Chainalysis.
- US showed the highest DeFi adoption, followed by Vietnam, Thailand, China and the UK.
- DeFi refers to a class of decentralised cryptocurrency platforms that can run autonomously without the support of a central company, group, or person.
- DeFi platforms are built on top of smart contract-enriched blockchains– primarily the Ethereum network–and can fulfill specific financial functions determined by the smart contracts’ underlying code.
- Popular types of DeFi protocols include decentralized exchanges and lending platforms.
BANKING AND FINANCE – Daily Current Affairs August 28
5. The RBI has imposed penalties totalling how much amount on four White Label ATM (WLA) operators for deficiencies in regulatory compliance?
A) Rs 6 crore
B) Rs 5 crore
C) Rs 4 crore
D) Rs 3 crore
E) Rs 2 crore
Answer: A) Rs 6 crore
- The RBI said it has imposed penalties totalling Rs 6 crore on four White Label ATM (WLA) operators, including Hitachi Payment Services, and Tata Communications Payment Solutions, for deficiencies in regulatory compliance.
- In a release, it also said a penalty of Rs 3 crore has been imposed on Transaction Analysts (India) Pvt Ltd for contravention of certain provisions of directions related to issuance and operation of prepaid payment instruments (PPIs), and Know Your Customer.
- A penalty of Rs 2 crore each has been imposed on BTI Payments and Hitachi Payment Services, and Rs 1 crore each on Tata Communications Payment Solutions Ltd and Vakrangee Ltd.
SEBI bars Kotak AMC from launching FMPs for six months, imposes fine:
- The Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) restrained Kotak Mahindra Asset Management Company (AMC) from launching any new fixed-maturity plans for six months.
- The regulator also imposed a penalty of Rs 50 lakh on the fund house for allegedly violating provisions of the SEBI Act and various circulars it issued.
6. Reserve Bank hiked the ceiling on remittances per transaction from India to Nepal to how much amount from Rs 50,000?
A) Rs 1 lakh
B) Rs 3 lakh
C) Rs 4 lakh
D) Rs 5 lakh
E) Rs 2 lakh
Answer: E) Rs 2 lakh
- Reserve Bank hiked the ceiling on remittances per transaction from India to Nepal to Rs 2 lakh from Rs 50,000, a move that will help facilitate retirement and pension-related payments to ex-servicemen settled in the neighbouring country.
- Besides, the central bank has removed the cap of 12 remittances in a year per remitter.
- The Indo-Nepal Remittance Facility Scheme was launched by RBI in May 2008 as an option for cross-border remittances from India to Nepal, with special focus on requirements of migrant workers of Nepali origin working in India.
- The scheme leverages NEFT ecosystem available in the country for origination of such remittances and entails a ceiling of Rs 50,000 per remittance with a maximum of 12 remittances in a year.
- The beneficiary receives funds in Nepalese Rupees through credit to her/ his bank account maintained with the subsidiary of State Bank of India in Nepal (Nepal SBI Bank Limited) or through an agency arrangement.
- The enhancements to Indo-Nepal remittance facility scheme are expected to boost trade payments between the two countries, as also to facilitate person-to-person remittances electronically to Nepal.
RBI increases incentives for banks for distribution of coins:
- The Reserve Bank increased incentives for banks for distribution of coins to the general public to Rs 65 from Rs 25 per bag.
- This has been done keeping in view the overall objectives of clean note policy and to ensure that all bank branches provide better customer service to people with regard to exchange of notes and distribution of coins, the central bank added.
- The banks will also be provided an additional incentive of Rs 10 per bag for coin distribution in rural and semi-urban areas, the RBI said in a notification.
RBI announces issue price for Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2021-22 – Series VI:
- Reserve Bank of India has announced issue price for Sovereign Gold Bond Scheme 2021-22 – Series VI.
- RBI has fixed price of 4,732 Rupee per gram for bonds which will be available for subscription from Monday and will remain open till 3rd September 2021.
- A discount of Rupees 50 will be given to investors applying in online mode.
- The nominal value of the bond is based on the simple average closing price published by India Bullion and Jewellers Association for gold of 999 purity of the last three business days
7. Which insurance launches Ananda mobile app for agents, intermediaries?
A) Cholamandalam MS General Insurance
B) Bajaj Allianz General Insurance.
C) ICICI Lombard General Insurance
D) Apollo Munich Health Insurance
E) Life Insurance Corporation of India
Answer: E) Life Insurance Corporation of India
- Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) has launched Ananda mobile app.
- Atma Nirbhar Agents New Business Digital Application, the digital paperless solution for new business processes in LIC has now been provided a new dimension with the launch of Ananda mobile app.
- Built on paperless KYC process using Aadhaar based e-authentication of the life proposed, the digital application is a tool for the on boarding process to get the life insurance policy through a paperless module with the help of the agent or intermediary.
ACQUISITIONS AND MERGERS – Daily Current Affairs August 28
8. Which Bank board okays divesting entire 19 pc stake in ARCIL?
A) Kotak Mahindra Bank
B) IDBI Bank
C) Punjab National Bank
D) ICICI Bank
E) Bank of Maharashtra
Answer: B) IDBI Bank
- IDBI Bank said its board has okayed a proposal to divest its entire stake of over 19 per cent in ARCIL.
- The decision was taken at a meeting of the board of directors.
- The board has approved the proposal for sale of IDBI Bank’s entire holding of 6,23,23,800 fully paid-up equity shares constituting 19.18 per cent of the total equity share capital of Asset Reconstruction Company (India) Ltd (ARCIL), IDBI Bank said in a regulatory filing.
- In June this year, IDBI Bank had invited bids from interested parties for the takeover of its stake in the asset reconstruction company.
- Incorporated in 2002, ARCIL is owned by SBI, IDBI, ICICI and PNB, besides strategic foreign investors such as Avenue Indian Resurgence Pte Ltd.
- Since its inception, ARCIL has resolved over Rs 78,000 crore worth of non-performing assets acquired from domestic banks and financial institutions, as per its website.
APPOINTMENTS – Daily Current Affairs August 28
9. Justice Vineet Kothari has been appointed the acting Chief Justice of the High Court of which state?
Answer: B) Gujarat
- Justice Vineet Kothari has been appointed the acting Chief Justice of the Gujarat High Court.
- Justice Kothari, the senior-most judge of the Gujarat HC, has been appointed to the top post in state judiciary following the elevation of incumbent Chief Justice Vikram Nath to the Supreme Court a few days back, the ministry said in a notification.
Justice Satish Chandra Sharma is acting Karnataka chief justice:
- Justice Satish Chandra Sharma, the senior-most judge of Karnataka High Court, has been appointed as the acting chief justice with effect from the date Justice Abhay Shreeniwas Oka relinquishes charge.
Ramachandra Rao appointed as acting Chief Justice of Telangana High Court:
- Justice MS Ramachandra Rao has been appointed as the acting Chief Justice of Telangana High Court, following the appointment of incumbent CJ Hima Kohli as a Supreme Court judge.
10. Amit Banerjee takes over as CMD of which organisation?
Answer: C) BEML
- Amit Banerjee took over as Chairman and Managing Director of BEML Ltd.
INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS – Daily Current Affairs August 28
11. Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II will attend the United Nations Climate Change Conference scheduled for November in which country?
Answer: B) UK
- Britain’s Queen Elizabeth II will attend the UK-hosted United Nations Climate Change Conference scheduled for November in Glasgow, Scotland.
- The 95-year-old monarch will join world leaders at the event, which was to take place in November last year but was postponed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is among the world leaders expected to attend the COP26 summit alongside US President Joe Biden and around 120 heads of state and government.
12. IAF signs emergency deal for 70,000 AK-103 assault rifles with which country?
Answer: A) Russia
- By Ajit K Dubey At a time when terrorist groups operating in India are likely to get weapons left behind by American troops in Afghanistan, the Indian Air Force (IAF) has signed a deal for acquiring 70,000 AK-103 assault rifles from Russia under emergency provisions to replace its existing inventory of INSAS rifles.
- The India Air Force has a requirement of over 1.5 lakh new assault rifles and the new AK-103 rifles expected to come within the next few months into the service would strengthen its capability to tackle terrorist attacks in a much better way.
- The remaining part of the requirement would be met after India and Russia sign a deal to produce the more advanced AK-203 together within India.
- The contract for the AK-203 assault rifles is being processed under the Army which requires around 6.5 lakh of these rifles to strengthen its troops’ firepower.
- A small portion of the IAF requirement was met by the acquisition of around 4,000 Sig Sauer assault rifles that have been procured as part of a larger contract by the Indian Army.
13. Which country chaired BRICS Environment Ministerial meet 2021?
Answer: B) India
- India chaired Environment Ministerial meet 2021 and called for collective global actions against the environment and climate challenge.
- The meeting was held virtually at Sushma Swaraj Bhawan, New Delhi, under the chair of India and was participated by the Environment Ministers from the BRICS nations.
- The meeting was preceded by the BRICS Joint Working Group on Environment meeting on August 26.
India hosting International Climate Summit 2020-21 on Sep 3, 2021:
- India is hosting the International Climate Summit 2020-21 on September 3, 2021 in physical and virtual mode.
- Director of CSIR, National Chemical Laboratory, Dr. Ashish Lele has underlined the importance of the conference for the future mitigation strategies of climate change
NATIONAL AFFAIRS – Daily Current Affairs August 28
14. President Ram Nath Kovind laid the foundation stone for the Mahayogi Guru Gorakhnath AYUSH Vishwavidyalaya in which state/UT?
E) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: E) Uttar Pradesh
- President Ram Nath Kovind laid the foundation stone for the Mahayogi Guru Gorakhnath AYUSH Vishwavidyalaya at Gorakhpur, Uttar Pradesh.
15. Which company announced that the company-built Offshore Patrol Vessel ICGS Vigraha has been commissioned into the Indian Coast Guard?
E) Larsen & Toubro
Answer: E) Larsen & Toubro
- Larsen & Toubro (L&T) announced that the company-built Offshore Patrol Vessel ICGS Vigraha has been commissioned into the Indian Coast Guard.
- Offshore Patrol Vessels (OPVs) are long-range surface ships, capable of operation in maritime zones of India, including island territories with helicopter operation capabilities.
- Their roles include coastal and offshore patrolling, policing maritime zones of India, control and surveillance, anti-smuggling and anti-piracy operations with limited wartime roles.
- ICGS Vigraha is the last vessel in the series of seven OPVs built by L&T under a Ministry of Defence contract signed in 2015.
- Seven OPVs programme bestowed many laurels to the Indian shipbuilding industry, including, delivery of all seven OPVs ahead of contractual delivery schedule, including ‘First of Class’ OPV ‘ICGS Vikram’ and achieving the build period of mere 19.5 months, clearing all Sea Acceptance Trials in a single sea sortie for 5th OPV ‘ICGS Varad’.
16. Who launched QSim – Quantum Computer Simulator Toolkit, to enable Researchers and Students to carry out research in Quantum Computing at a cost-effective manner?
A) Ram Nath Kovind
B) Narendra Modi
C) Arjun Munda
D) Smriti Zubin Irani
E) Rajeev Chandrasekhar
Answer: E) Rajeev Chandrasekhar
- Shri Rajeev Chandrasekhar, Minister of State for Electronics & Information Technology, launched QSim – Quantum Computer Simulator Toolkit, to enable Researchers and Students to carry out research in Quantum Computing at a cost-effective manner.
- QSim is an outcome of the project “Design and Development of Quantum Computer Toolkit (Simulator, Workbench) and Capacity Building”.
- This is one of the first initiatives in the country to address the common challenge of advancing the Quantum Computing research frontiers in India.
- This project is being executed collaboratively by IISc Bangalore, IIT Roorkee and C-DAC with the support of the Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY), Government of India.
17. Which Administration, Indian Air Force sign ‘Agreed in Principle’ to set up Air Force Heritage Centre?
A) New Delhi
Answer: E) Chandigarh
- The Chandigarh Administration and Indian Air Force signed an Agreed in Principle (AIP) for setting up of “Airforce Heritage Centre” at Government Press Building, Chandigarh.
- As per an official release issued by Chandigarh Administration, the AIP was signed in the presence of VP Singh Badnore, the Governor of Punjab and Administrator Chandigarh and Air Marshal V R Chaudhari, Vice Chief of the Air Staff.
18. The Defence Ministry sealed a contract with Mahindra Defence Systems Ltd for procurement of 14 integrated anti-submarine warfare suites at a cost of over how much amount?
A) Rs 1,349 crore
B) Rs 2,349 crore
C) Rs 3,349 crore
D) Rs 4,349 crore
E) Rs 5,349 crore
Answer: A) Rs 1,349 crore
- The Defence Ministry sealed a contract with Mahindra Defence Systems Ltd for procurement of 14 integrated anti-submarine warfare suites at a cost of over Rs 1,349 crore.
- The equipment comes with an integrated capability for detecting enemy submarines and torpedoes at extended ranges as well as diverting incoming torpedoes fired by enemy submarines, the ministry said.
- It said the Integrated Anti-Submarine Warfare Defence Suites (IADS) will enhance the anti-submarine warfare capability of the Indian Navy.
19. Who inaugurates digital learning facility for civil servants?
A) Ram Nath Kovind
B) Narendra Modi
C) Jitendra Singh
D) Smriti Zubin Irani
E) Rajeev Chandrasekhar
Answer: C) Jitendra Singh
- Union Minister Jitendra Singh inaugurated a digital learning facility for civil servants at the Institute of Secretariat Training and Management (ISTM).
- The ISTM is a premier central training institution under the Department of Personnel and Training (DoPT).
- The minister also released a special edition of the bi-annual ISTM journal of training, research and governance on Mission Karmayogi.
20. IAF chief attends commanders’ conference of Eastern Air Command in Which state?
A) New Delhi
Answer: C) Meghalaya
- Air Chief Marshal R K S Bhadauria attended a two-day-long commanders’ conference of the Eastern Air Command in Shillong .
21. Which University become AICTE’s ‘Brand Ambassador of Change’?
A) University of Delhi
B) University of Hyderabad
C) Amity University
D) Manipal Academy of Higher Education
E) JC Bose University
Answer: E) JC Bose University
- All India Council for Technical Education (AICTE) has selected J C Bose University of Science and Technology, YMCA, Faridabad for AICTE’s ‘Brand Ambassador of Change’ under its Leadership in Teaching Excellence (LITE) Programme for Academic Year 2021-22.
- The University will work as a model institution to implement AICTE’s Leadership in Teaching Excellence Programme in the State Universities to implement online teaching-learning methods that are aligned with National Education Policy, 2020.
- Through its Brand Ambassadors of Change Institutions, AICTE has a plan to expand the programme to more affiliated institutions from academic year 2022-23 onwards.
22. Which state launches MIMI mobile app for home delivery of fresh fish?
C) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: A) Kerala
- Kerala Fisheries Minister Saji Cheriyan launched the mobile app of MIMI Fish Store, a retail venture of the State Fisheries Department’ for home delivery of fresh fish and value-added products.
- In a first in the country, MIMI Fish gives the consumers complete access to the details of the fish they buy.
- The consumers can get their fish home-delivered by placing the order through the Mobile App, or purchase directly from the nearest MIMI kiosk.
- The project is implemented by Kerala State Coastal Area Development Corporation (KSCADC) jointly with SaTM (Society for Advanced Technologies & Management) as part of the socio-economic initiative ‘Parivarthanam’.
23. Which edition of the week-long annual exercise called ‘Gandiv’ was launched by the NSG from August 22?
Answer: C) 3
- Multiple cities in Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Gujarat and the National Capital Region are hosting synchronised commando drills as part of a national mock exercise being carried out by the counter-terrorist force National Security Guard (NSG) to check its response time and reaction to hostage and hijack-like situations.
- The third edition of the week-long annual exercise called ‘Gandiv’ was launched at these locations by the NSG from August 22 and it will continue till August 28, an official statement issued on August 23 said.
- Gandiv was the name of Arjuna’s bow in Mahabharata.
- In Gujarat, the drills of armed commandos slithering down from helicopters or undertaking stealth house intervention drills will be conducted in Ahmedabad and State capital Gandhinagar.
24. Who inaugurates menstrual hygiene project, flags off mobile ATM van in Tripura?
A) Ram Nath Kovind
B) Nirmala Sitharaman
C) Jitendra Singh
D) Smriti Zubin Irani
E) Rajeev Chandrasekhar
Answer: B) Nirmala Sitharaman
- Union Finance Minister Nirmala Sitharaman, who was in Tripura on a two-day visit, flagged off a mobile ATM in the state on Saturday and inaugurated a project that aims to generate awareness on menstrual hygiene among rural women.
- Sitharaman also held interactions with members of self-help groups at a school ground in Gomati district, along with Chief Minister Biplab Kumar Deb.
- The ‘My Pad, My Right’ project, initiated by NABARD and NABFOUNDATION at Killa village, will strive to bring livelihood and menstrual hygiene closer to rural women by way of grant, wage support and capital equipment.
- The Union minister, later in the day, flagged off a mobile ATM van of Tripura State Co-Operative Bank Limited, which is set to provide service to all gram panchayats and village committees in South Tripura district.
25.Which state govt approves Electric Vehicle Policy & Targets 20 pct electric vehicles on road by 2025?
C) Uttar Pradesh
Answer: E) Odisha
- Odisha government has approved a new policy on electric vehicles. It was approved by the state cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik in Bhubaneswar.
- The new policy is aimed at achieving a target of 20 percent electric vehicles on road by 2025.
- The policy sets an ambitious target of ensuring that at least twenty vehicles out of each hundred that would be registered in the state would be battery operated electric vehicles by 2025.
- The stated aim of the policy is to contribute to the reduction of global temperature which in turn is contributed by fossil fuel driven vehicular emissions.
- Under the proposed policy guidelines, it has also been decided to extend financial incentives that includes interest subvention in loans taken to purchase electric vehicles and waiving off of road tax and registration fees during the policy period to the manufacturers and users of electric vehicles.
26. Central government’s flagship financial inclusion programme, Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana completes how many years?
Answer: C) 7
- Central government’s flagship financial inclusion programme, Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana completes seven years.
- The scheme was launched on this day in 2014 with an aim to provide universal access to banking facilities to the people across the country.
- Under this scheme, bank accounts are being opened with minimal paperwork and zero balance
- Indigenous Debit cards are being issued for cash withdrawal and payment at merchant locations with free accident insurance coverage of two lakh rupees. Besides, other financial facilities including micro-insurance, overdraft for consumption and micro-pension are also being offered.
- One of the biggest financial inclusion schemes in the world, the Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojna has made remarkable progress in providing banking and other financial services to the marginalized and poor sections of the society.
- In the last seven years, it has not only helped the poor in bringing their savings into the formal financial system but also provided an avenue to remit money to their families in villages besides taking them out of the clutches of the usurious money lenders.
- So far, over 43 crore four lakh bank accounts have been opened under the scheme and more than one lakh 46 thousand crore rupees balance are in the beneficiary accounts.
- Over 31 crore Rupay Debit Cards have been issued to beneficiaries.
- A large number of Pradhan Mantri Jan Dhan Yojana account holders are also receiving direct benefit transfer from the government under various welfare schemes.
- As financial inclusion is a national priority for the government, this scheme has proved to be one of the key enablers for inclusive growth.
Government introduces BH series registration mark in vehicles:
- The government has said it is introducing a new vehicle registration mark called the Bharat Series (BH) in all vehicles, effective September 15.
- This would mean that the with the new BH series, vehicles will not require any transfer of registration and will be valid across the country, the Ministry of Road Transport and Highways (MoRTH) said in a gazette notification
- It also mentioned that the facility will be available on a voluntary basis to defence personnel as well as Central and State government employees.
- It added that employees of private companies having offices in four or more States can also take advantage of this facility.
27. Which edition of the Bengaluru International Short Film Festival (BISFF) will be held from August 28 to September 5?
Answer: E) 11
- The 11th edition of the Bengaluru International Short Film Festival (BISFF) will be held from August 28 to September 5.
- This is the second consecutive year that the Oscar-accredited BISFF will be presented in a digital avatar due to the pandemic regulations.