Daily Current Affairs August 19
Table of Contents
Dear Champions, as you all know that a lot of competitive exams have been notified consequently. Candidates have to prepare themselves according to the level of competition and expectation of the Recruitment board. Regarding that one of the most important topic is Daily Current Affairs August 19. Current Affairs in the form of contemporary events of national & international play a crucial role in almost every competitive exams like Banking, Insurance, SSC, UPSC, TNPSC, Railway etc.
Current affairs are the most dynamic yet scoring among all sections and need to be prepared from the right source. Here, we cafunsta team, providing Daily GK Updates, Current Affairs Questions, and Monthly current affairs pdf.
August 19| Daily Current Affairs 2022
Important Days- Daily Current Affairs August 19
1. World Photography Day is observed on?
A) August 19
B) August 16
C) August 18
D) August 15
E) August 17
Answer: A) August 19
|Date||Day||1st Observed||Edition||Observed By||Theme||Others|
|August 19||World Photography Day||1839||Pandemic Lockdown through the lens||In the year 1826, French photographer, Joseph Nicephore Niepce had taken the first permanent photograph of all time.|
|August 19||World Humanitarian Day||2003||UNGA||It takes a village||To commemorate 22 relief workers died in Baghdad’s Canal Hotel bomb explosion on August 19, 2003.|
|August 19||Krishna Janmashtami||The eighth day of the dark fortnight in the month of Bhadrapada (July-August) in India.|
Sports – Daily Current Affairs August 19
2. Manisha Kalyan became____ Indian to play in UEFA Women’s Champions League?
Answer: C) 1st
- Young striker Manisha Kalyan has become the first Indian footballer to play at the UEFA Women’s Champions League when she made her debut for Apollon Ladies FC in the European Club competition in Engomi, Cyprus.
- Kalyan replaced Cyprus’ Marilena Georgiou in the 60th minute at the Makareio Stadium, as Apollon Ladies FC beat Latvian top flight club SFK Rīga 3-0 in their UWCL opener.
- The 20-year-old had emerged as the fourth Indian women’s international footballer to sign for an overseas club when she landed a multi-year contract with Cypriot top division winners Apollon Ladies.
- Kalyan had produced impressive performances for the national team and Gokulam Kerala in the Indian Women’s League (IWL).
- She was recently awarded the AIFF Women’s Footballer of the Year for the 2021-22 season.
Banking and Finance – Daily Current Affairs August 19
3. How many new branches inaugurated byFederal Bank?
Answer: E) 15
- Private sector Federal Bank under its expansion drive has inaugurated 15 new branches across the country, the Kerala-based bank.
- Among the 15 branches, seven are in Tamil Nadu taking the overall presence to 171 branches in the State.
- The seven branches in Tamil Nadu were opened at Acharampattu, Kilacheri, Kumbakonam, Perambalur, Ponpathi, Salem Gugai and Tiruvarur.
4. RBI cancelled licence of Deccan Urban Co-operative Bank it is located in which state?
Answer: D) Karnataka
- The Reserve Bank of India said the licence of Deccan Urban Co-operative Bank, Karnataka, has been cancelled as the lender does not have adequate capital and earning prospects.
- As per the data submitted by the bank, more than 99 per cent of the depositors are entitled to receive the full amount of their deposits from Deposit Insurance and Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC).
5. ICICI Bank increased FD interest rates by how many basis points?
A) 25 bps
B) 40 bps
C) 15 bps
D) 10 bps
E) 35 bps
Answer: B) 40 bps
- Following the rate hike trend, ICICI Bank also has hiked fixed deposit (FD) interest rates for amounts below Rs 2 crore on select tenors by up to 40 basis points.
- The new rates are effective from August 19, 2022.
- ICICI Bank will now offer interest rates between 2.75 percent and 6.10 percent for tenors from 7 days to 10 years for regular citizens.
- According to the bank website, term deposits with a maturity of one year to two years will now fetch 5.50 percent interest from earlier 5.35 percent, an increase of 15 basis points, while those with a maturity of two years one day to 3 years will fetch 5.60 percent interest from 5.50 percent.
- ICICI Bank will now offer a 6.10 percent interest rate on three-years one-day to five years fixed deposits from 5.7 percent, an increase of 40 bps, and 5.90 percent interest rate five years one day to ten years, the interest rate offered from earlier 5.75 percent.
- The bank is offering 6.10 percent on tax saving FDs.
6. Bank of Maharashtra increased MCLR by how many basis points?
A) 25 bps
B) 20 bps
C) 15 bps
D) 10 bps
E) 5 bps
Answer: A) 25 bps
- Bank of Maharashtra (BoM) has increased its marginal cost of funds-based lending rate (MCLR) by up to 25 basis points (bps) across all tenors with effect from August 18.
- Following the MCLR hike, interest rate on corporate loans will go up.
- Most of the corporate loans are linked to MCLR.
- With the latest MCLR increase, the one-year and six-months MCLR are now at 7.60 per cent (against 7.50 per cent earlier) and 7.50 per cent (7.40 per cent), respectively.
- The new rates in other tenors are: 7.10 per cent for overnight (against 6.90 per cent earlier), 7.25 per cent one-month (7.00 per cent earlier), and 7.40 per cent for three-months (7.20 per cent earlier).
Business and Economy – Daily Current Affairs August 19
7. How many percent gold imports raised in April-July this fiscal year?
Answer: C) 6.40%
- India’s gold imports, which have a bearing on the country’s Current Account Deficit (CAD), rose 6.4 percent to USD 12.9 billion from April-July this fiscal due to healthy demand, according to government data.
- The imports stood at USD 12 billion during the same period a year ago.
- In July 2022, however, imports of precious metals fell sharply by 43.6 percent to USD 2.4 billion, as per the latest data released by the commerce ministry.
- An increase in gold and oil imports during the first four months of this fiscal contributed to a record trade deficit of USD 30 billion, against USD 10.63 billion in April-July 2021.
- India is the world’s second-biggest gold consumer after China. The imports mainly take care of the demand from the jewelry industry.
- The gems and jewelry exports during the first four months of the current fiscal grew by about 7 percent to USD 13.5 billion.
- A wider trade gap during 2021-22 expanded the country’s current account deficit at 1.2 percent of GDP against a surplus of 0.9 percent in FY21, according to the Reserve Bank data released in June.
- For the January-March 2022 quarter, the CAD narrowed on a sequential basis to USD 13.4 billion or 1.5 percent of GDP against USD 22.2 billion or 2.6 percent of GDP in the October-December 2021 quarter.
8. How many percent Retail inflation for farm workers increased in July?
Answer: E) 6.60%
- Retail inflation for farm and rural workers increased to 6.60 per cent and 6.82 per cent, respectively, in July mainly due to higher prices of certain food items.
- In June retail inflation for farm and rural workers stood at 6.43 per cent and 6.76 per cent respectively.
Acquisitions and Mergers – Daily Current Affairs August 19
9. How many percent stake sold by Blackstone in auto component maker Sona BLW for Rs 4,000 crores?
Answer: D) 13.6%
- Private equity firm Blackstone divested 13.6 per cent stake in auto component maker Sona BLW Precision Forgings Ltd for over Rs 4,000 crore through open market transactions.
- The shares were picked up by the Government of Singapore and SBI Mutual Fund among others, bulk deal data with the BSE showed.
- Blackstone, which holds a stake in Sona BLW through an entity called Singapore VII Topco III PTE. Ltd, offloaded a total of 7.94 crore shares or 13.6 per cent stake in the company, the data showed.
- The stocks were sold on an average price of Rs 509.10 on the BSE, a discount of 5.6 per cent from closing price of Rs 539.10.
- At this price, the transaction size is aggregated to Rs 4,044 crore.
10. Who among the following approved acquisition of stake in Simpolo Vitrified by IBEF IV, India SME, MOFPL?
D) Commerce Ministry
E) Finance Ministry
Answer: B) CCI
- The Competition Commission of India (CCI) approves acquisition of the stake in Simpolo Vitrified Private Limited by India Business Excellence Fund IV, India SME Investments Fund – I, Motilal Oswal Finvest Limited and others.
- The proposed combination involves the acquisition of shareholding in Simpolo Vitrified Private Limited (SVPL/ Target) by India Business Excellence Fund IV (IBEF IV), India SME Investments Fund – I (India SME), Motilal Oswal Finvest Limited (MOFPL), partners of Simpolo Ceramics (SC / Simpolo Ceramics) (collectively, SC Partners) and the shareholders of Nexion International Private Limited (Nexion), viz., Aghara & Sons (Aghara) and Ceramiche Speranza SPA (Ceramiche SPA).
- The proposed combination also contemplates transfer of the business of SC and Nexion into SVPL.
11. CCI cleared proposed merger of JSW Ispat, Creixent Special Steels with JSW Steel, CCI founded in which year?
Answer: A) 2003
- Fair trade regulator Competition Commission of India (CCI) approved the proposal to merge Creixent Special Steels and JSW Ispat into JSW Steel.
- In May, JSW Steel announced the merger deal.
- JSW Steel and JSW Ispat are into manufacturing and sale of steel products while Creixent Special Steels (CSSL) is in the business of holding investments.
- The combination involves Katsura’s Investments’ acquisition of up to 40 per cent stake in the Varmora Granito Pvt Ltd along with acquisition of certain rights in the company and certain other target entities.
Awards – Daily Current Affairs August 19
12. Who among the following won best actor in Indian Film Festival of Melbourne (IFFM) Awards 2022?
A) Sharukh Khan
B) Salman Khan
C) Ranveer Singh
D) Ranveer Kapor
E) Abhishek Bachchan
Answer: C) Ranveer Singh
|Best Director||Shoojit Sircar for Sardar Udham and Aparna Sen for The Rapist|
|Best Actor||Ranveer Singh for 83|
|Best Actress||Shefali Shah for Jalsa|
|Best Series||Mumbai Diaries 26/11|
|Best Actor in a Series||Mohit Raina for Mumbai Diaries 26/11|
|Best Actress in a Series||Sakshi Tanwar for Mai|
|Best Indie Film||Jaggi|
|Best Film from the Subcontinent||Joyland|
|Lifetime Achievement Award||Kapil Dev|
|Disruptor in Cinema Award||Vaani Kapoor for Chandigarh Kare Aashiqui|
|Equality in Cinema Award||Jalsa|
|Leadership in Cinema Award||Abhishek Bachchan|
International Affairs – Daily Current Affairs August 19
13. NHPC Ltd inked pact to develop ____ hydropower plant?
Answer: E) Nepal
- Nepal has signed a pact with an Indian company NHPC to develop a hydroelectric plant in the west of the nation years after a Chinese firm backed out.
- Nepal has opened its rivers, which it sees as having a combined potential to generate more than 42,000 megawatts of hydroelectric power, to foreign players to develop its economy and export electricity to narrow the trade deficit of more than $13 billion.
- India’s NHPC Ltd signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) on Thursday allowing it to study details like feasibility, environmental impact, inundation of land and construction costs for two projects – West Seti (750 megawatts) and SR 6 (450 megwatts).
- Both plants are to be located on the West Seti River in Nepal’s least developed far western region.
- China’s biggest hydropower developer, Three Gorges International Corp, was previously lined up to develop the West Seti plant, but Nepal scrapped the deal in 2017 amid haggling over the terms.
National Affairs – Daily Current Affairs August 19
14. Which state became 1st Har Ghar Jal certified State?
Answer: D) Goa
- Goa has become the first ‘Har Ghar Jal’ certified State and Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu the first Union Territory in the country.
- In this State and UT, people from all the villages have declared their village as Har Ghar Jal through a resolution passed by the Gram Sabha.
- All two lakh 63 thousand rural households of Goa and over 85 thousand of Dadra and Nagar Haveli and Daman and Diu have access to safe drinking water through tap connection.
15. NFDB conducted____ governing body meeting?
Answer: B) 9th
- National Fisheries Development Board (NFDB) conducted its 9th governing body meeting in New Delhi.
- The governing body meeting was chaired by Minister of Fisheries Parshottam Rupala.
- Minister of State for Fisheries Dr. L. Murugan and Dr. Sanjeev Kumar Balyan also attended the meeting.
- On this occasion, Parshottam Rupala released a book on Super Success Stories from Indian Fisheries.
- He also launched an online marketplace feature – ‘Aqua Bazar’ app.
- The app will help the fish farmers and stakeholders to source the inputs such as fish seed, feed and medicines and services required for fish culture.
- It will connect various stakeholders involved in aquaculture sector.
16. In how many districts Employees’ State Insurance will expand its services by December?
A) 744 districts
Answer: A) 744 districts
- The Employees’ State Insurance, ESI will work to expand its services in all 744 districts of the country by December this year.
- Announcing this at the Employees’ State Insurance Corporation’s Chintan Shivir at Surajkund in Haryana, Labour and Employment Minister Bhupender Yadav said, this expansion will take into consideration the increased beneficiary base, post implementation of Social Security Code.
- He also said that convergence with the Pradhan Mantri Jan Arogya Yojana will be done in all the districts of the country for better accessibility of services to beneficiaries leading to pan-India portability.
- Mr. Yadav said, Centers of Excellence for Occupational Health will be set up to promote indigenous research on occupational diseases in India.
- He informed that Employees’ State Insurance will explore developing Health Facilities and Medical Colleges in Aspirational districts of the country.
17. Which became first state in the country to distribute seed to farmers via Blockchain Tech?
Answer: C) Jharkhand
- In a significant development which would revolutionize agriculture in the country, Directorate of Agriculture, Jharkhand and global blockchain technology company, SettleMint, India jointly announced the successful launch of seed distribution to farmers based on blockchain technology.
- In the two years of operations in India, SettleMint has made significant progress and took rapid strides towards the enablement of blockchain adaption in India.
- The successful implementation of blockchain based seed distribution to farmers in Jharkhand is a testimony to that effect.
- Jharkhand is 1st state to implement blockchain in the country which is being used to track seed distribution.
- The blockchain platform tracks seed supply distribution-from issuing of supply orders from the Directorate of Agriculture, placing of seed demand by District Agriculture Officer, tracking seed distribution from empanelled government seed producing agency to distributors, retailers, LAMPS/PACS, FPOs and finally to the farmers.
- The move to implement blockchain is aimed at bringing transparency and authenticity of seeds which the farmers receive under the seed exchange scheme and other schemes.
18. How many percent green cover increased in Telangana?
Answer: E) 31.6%
- Green cover has increased by 31.6 per cent in Telangana since the formation of the Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) government, said state Cabinet Minister Harish Rao.
- Telangana Finance and Health Minister Harish Rao inaugurated Grand Nursery Mela at People’s Plaza on Necklace Road in Hyderabad.
Over All Review
Banking and Finance
Business And Economy
Acquisitions and Mergers